• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Melee Goes Full Anime

Would you watch a Melee anime?

• Yes!

Votes: 726 80.9%
  • No.

Votes: 117 13.0%
  • Anime?

Votes: 54 6.0%

• Total voters

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Wow, the losers are complaining already. WAHHHH THIS WHY IS DIS JUST ABOUT MELEE1!!#@

...yknow if you havent been on their streams. (which you havent) alot of the melee top players thought an anime about them would be funny, so some fan went along and did it. This isnt about bashing any other game, so stfu and go away, you make the community toxic. People like melee, get over it. Where's the love for 64 tho :awesome:

That said, the video is cringeworthy lel.

Last edited:

ForTheLulz

Smash Apprentice
Ever wondered what a Smash anime would be like? YouTuber SSBMbillnye has, and they have created an anime-style opening cutscene that pulls from all of the tropes that anime viewers have come to expect from the genre! Love or hate the Japanese cartoon style, this video is a neat interpretation of what could be if competitive video games ever become a truly mainstream affair.

Melee: The Anime
What do you think? Love it? Hate it? Need more of it? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is excited to see the comments. It's going to be extreme down there, folks. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
I thought it was Parasyte music for a sec there

darkrailink1 (dl1)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dl1
3DS FC
2509-2107-2647
Ever wondered what a Smash anime would be like? YouTuber SSBMbillnye has, and they have created an anime-style opening cutscene that pulls from all of the tropes that anime viewers have come to expect from the genre! Love or hate the Japanese cartoon style, this video is a neat interpretation of what could be if competitive video games ever become a truly mainstream affair.

Melee: The Anime
What do you think? Love it? Hate it? Need more of it? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is excited to see the comments. It's going to be extreme down there, folks. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
the art the whole consept is so cool well done to the creator

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
the music wasn't very good (for me) but at least the video was good. I think it needs to find more suitable music

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I mean I know it'd be awesome if we had a smash bros. anime, but you know; with the concept of something like these 5 melee gods who lived their title was beaten by what's considered the smash villan, leffen, and with all the trash talk and salty suite making for good and intresting conflicts (not that I want that to happen in reality again, btw), I think that would make for a decent concept for an anime.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Would have liked all the live scenes animated, because drawing them out in a still image doesn't really scream anime as a whole in this video.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
It's a good start but it isn't really anime esque. As it stands, this is just a hype trailer with funny editting and half-anime-half-screamo music. If this were to be redone so that it was fully animated and put to decent/original music, we'd be getting somewhere (somewhere good).
Anyways, this was just done by a fellow Melee player who thought it would be fun to make. It's not like he was trying to make a flawless and amazing video to represent the Smash scene. I think The Derrit overhyped it a bit.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
You never go full anime, you start wearing headbands and speaking japanese words you don't really understand.

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
I'm not sure how essentially being like 'hey this is cool, watch it' counts as overhyping

Times sure have changed
Oh shush; I'm only trying to blame you for the video's shortcomings :p.

You're right though and I was wrong to say you overhyped it. I thought that it was being done wrong by how you introduced it because people are saying, rightfully, that it isn't even animated and whatnot. But then I realized that the title is literally "ANIME HYPE INTRO", so there's not much anyone can do about that.

It's a cool idea for a video though, and I'm sure there will be more like this in the future. And to all those people saying that an actual anime would need to be about the fighters within Smash rather than about the competitive scene: your idea is bad and you should feel bad. I don't think I need to explain why I don't want to see an episode dedicated to Pikachu fighting Marth. I'll explain it anyways; Marth hasn't even said a single English word in all of Smash history; Pikachu can't even talk. If you think Kill la Kill was mindless fighting, wait until you see that one Smashbros anime where there isn't even dialogue between the fighters.
The competitive scene on the other hand has had a lot of crazy activity. You can actually have a season dedicated entirely to Leffen being a ****. You can have weird events like tournament sabotage, which actually happened. You can follow a smashgod's rise to fame and check out a fictional account of his training/downtime. You can even have VGHS-style ingame animation for the smash characters. This isn't the type of anime that appeals to everyone and gains huge popularity, but it's at least better than a children's cartoon about fighting animals.

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Melee Anime? Absolutely; but that video was awful and really not worth the time to watch. :grrr: Frankly the Smash catalogue of music would entirely fit into an anime when done properly.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
If there actually was an anime based on the mechanics of Melee, I think the fighting scenes could be pretty cool

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
Guys, I'm pretty sure the video is satire, its not actually supposed to be amazing.
An actual anime based off the Melee would be incredible though. Or even an anime movie.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
not a smash melee animie. a general smash brothers world animie. Like sub space but a better story

Top Bottom