• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to practice by yourself?

drolan

Smash Apprentice
Skylink said:
Hey! You! Blanksheep82! tell me while your online so I can post this instead of having to PM it!

Since I'm a emerald member, do you think I should change my title from "Smash journeyman" to something like "airealist warrior" or something?

EDIT: yup, I'm a slow typer. Drolan hadn't posted yet when I started typing this.

2nd EDIT: Yup, he logged off before reading this. looks like drolan did, too:tired: :dizzy:
are u kidn me? i never log off lmao i just stepped away to play some soul calibur 3 for a little bit

Best101

Smash Ace
I've just made a surprising discovery while playing smash today. A great way to train is by playing HRC with Yoshi. You try to get above 2400 feet with him by doing SH Dair L-Cancel. I did this a million times until I got 2500 feet. Then when I played my freind 3 stocked him without taking damage! I was moving unbelievalbly fast. You have to try this way of training (It'll greatly help those whose having trouble with SH and L-Canceling.)

TrueForce

Smash Rookie
Just have to throw in my two cents, since it's not the generally accepted idea. I train against a level 9 because I have few opportunities to play against humans. People say that training on a level 1 is better because you are able to practice landing your combos, techniques, timing, and so forth, but I use a level 9 because it's a more difficult way to practice the abilities mentioned above. It's much better practice to try to execute your combos and dodging while having your opponent on the offensive-constantly following and attacking you-than having your opponent act like a punching-(sand?)bag. Don't get me wrong: I use level 1s to develop new combos and techniques to begin with, but when I've already gotten my combos planned out, and need practice utilizing them in a practical situation, I turn to level 9s. Yes, training on a cpu continuously will get you used to patterns in your opponents attacks, but this applies to level 9s as well as level 1s. I'm sure no one will argue that having a cpu run up to you and then just wait to get hit (level 1) will be any less detrimental to your fighting habits than having a cpu run up to you while attacking (level 9). Of course, all of this only applies if you truly have to humans to help you train, and are restricted to the cpus.

To recap:
-Level 1s for learning how to combo, wavedash, etc. in the first place.
-Level 9s for learning how to utilize these abilities in a more trying situation than a level 1 can provide.
-Humans for the best possible practice.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
HMMMMMMMMMMM...

DUH! Ecxept there are those idiots out there who think otherwise...
Oh, also, ocassinally, since 8s are different from 9's, face off against them, and 7s every so often. Just make sure you are keeping them caged in your combos. if theyre not, switch to training mode or Vs. Mode if you use the C-stick to practace keeping them off their feet.

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
HI! This is my first time here?
I'm not sure where to go, but i had a question but am not sure where to post it!
Anyhow, I'm a smash bros. fanatic , and would like to get better?
I have found out that there is such is such a thing as advance moves in melee.
I've tried some but am having a hard time with WAVE DASHING. and the baby hop thing?
Can anyone give me advice on what's the best way to practice this moves to learn them
quicker? I'll appreciate the advice!!...

Best101

Smash Ace
Albeydorf said:
HI! This is my first time here?
I'm not sure where to go, but i had a question but am not sure where to post it!
Anyhow, I'm a smash bros. fanatic , and would like to get better?
I have found out that there is such is such a thing as advance moves in melee.
I've tried some but am having a hard time with WAVE DASHING. and the short hop thing?
Can anyone give me advice on what's the best way to practice this moves to learn them
quicker? I'll appreciate the advice!!...
Wavedashing will take a long time to learn, but if you look back in this thread they'll tell you alot of different ways to train. You came to the right thread for this question too.

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
thanx alot "Best101"!!
I"m like totaly new here?
So I feel quite funny(shy)
what can you advice me in short hopping!?
Is it best to perform it with the analog stick or the y/x buttons.
can you actualy short hop twice?
and i bet it's twice as hard when you try it on the run!, huh?

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
the proper way to perform short hopping!!

Skylink said:
Uhh, yeah, Short-hopping IS very hard to do twice... but It's main purpose is for Shuffling.

Can you advice me on the proper way to short hop!!

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
Yeah but if you have nothing to train for, training does get boring. You just sit there doing shffl's you can already do 150% of the time.

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know
...Check the sticky that says "ALL TERMS HERE". T_T. This got so off-topic though, what with the guy coming in and asking random questions.

Right now, I'm at the point where I can't improve anything without fighting humans. Wavedashing, shffling, blah blah, I know how to do all of them. Problem is, my friends aren't that great and we can rarely get together in the first place >_<

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know how to properly get up once you are knock'd to the floor!
I keep trying to do it but i just can't time it right?

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
pardon, but does it take awhile for someone to respond?
do i have to refresh the page?
or it's of matter of someone wanting to respond.

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
sorry.about that?
can anyone tell me how you can jump hit (but in a short hop) ,when your hanging of the edge, thanx

So you mean to tell me that if i press jump (while on the ledge), i can short
hop to a hit!
Because i usually push jump and it does a big jump instead of a short one.
what about if i press the jump quickly?

I have seen the advance players videos, and they perform just that?
"SHORT HOP THAT IS, RIGHT FROM THE LEDGE".

what i mean.is that you know how u usually short hop and kick with link?
i've seen players do that right from clingin' on the edge!
that leads to? if someone is waiting for you on the edge ,then they'll think
twice next time! heh.

K10

Smash Apprentice
I think he is talking about when people are on the ledge then they come off with a normal move but it doesnt look like they are really jumping.

Albeydorf

Smash Rookie
what i'm trying to explain:
put it this way?
capt. falcon has a knee attack when your air born.
and i'm wondering when your hanging on the edge then you jump forward to a knee.
and i've seen it been done. that's the reason i ask.
does anyone know?
or is it just an illusion? to me.
but i could swear that i've seen it with my own eyes! seriously...

Sayge......?

Smash Rookie
Im sorry if this was posted before, it probably wasnt, cuz its a dumb idea. They way that I trained, even in the first SSB was to fight a level 7-9 CPU of the same character that I am using. I would do that to see any openings that I could try to cover up. Then I learned to
L-cncl. That helped a lot.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
Sayge, Remember that the CPU will act nothing like you. Any signs of opponent stupidity are in the AI flaws.

EDIT: by the way, I tried to jump hit, and i can sorta do it, but it's really hard to incorporate into my strategy. What I normally already do is roll back on the stage, then roll away from the edge, then either smash, Sword slash, or spin attack. Is this a weak strategy?

Sayge......?

Smash Rookie
Well, i meant in the fact that the computer would have the same move set as yourself, so i could see where it was vulnerable, and L-cancel (try to) to cover it up when i did so.

Too bad the game couldnt somehow pick up on how you fight, remember and apply it when you fight a level 9.

MoT

Smash Cadet
The best way to practice by myself? Well when I first got SSBM I played through 1 player mode and that gave me a bit of a background in the controls and everything. Because I played so much with friends and we were always competing, when I was alone I would go against level 9 Ganondorfs. At first I couldn't win but eventually I got fast enough to move my fingers.

After that if the Ganondorfs became too easy I would either change the characters around or play the Wireframe Cruel Melee I think it was called. That was a nice challenge X_x.

Just doing those things and regular playing should keep anyone in a good SSBM fighting condition :p At least for my experience. But lately the only way I practice is on two trips I take, one in summer and one in winter, in which I go with all my friends to these far off places by car. Take a portable TV, Gamecube w/ 4 controllers, adapter, and SSBM and stuff 6 people in the back of a car and you have a SUPER Super Smash Bros Tournament ;) (wow did I go off the topic of self-practicing)

GUNZ

Smash Rookie
bornfidelity.com said:
Wow. That's just an awful bunch of n00bs posting here (I count four). Really, do either as CrimsonBlur implied, or kick a Lvl 1 *** (for active training, tech-training you might as well do on training mode, things such as shffls and WDs practice alot nicer if no CPU is bugging you >_>). The advantage over playing with two controllers is that training mode CPUs recover (not to kill them or anything, but that way you don't have to wait aeverytime you hit someone hard ^_^)

Or, you could press start, then press it again before you hit them hard. That way, they start at zero again and won't go as far.

Red_Oxygen

Smash Apprentice
actually a Lv9 CPU

perfect for practicing timing.

They are so repetitive that you can practice dodging and powershielding.

Top Bottom