• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best way to practice by yourself?

barrybackus

Smash Rookie
Training and learning combos? Low level cpu ememies? High level cpu enemies? 1 on 1 or everyone for themselves?

How do you think is the best way to train to get better? Right now I feel like I'm in a niche. I'm not feeling like I'm improving in any way. What should I do?

Luigio

Banned via Administration
I believe that 1 v 1 versus a level 9 is a good way to train by yourself. After that, you can slowly migrate to 1 level 9 and 1 level 7 on you, then 2 level nines, then finally three level nines.

PhillCollins

Smash Journeyman
Luigio I implore you to edit that post to include nothing of what you said.

You can practice chainthrowing, comboing, wavedashing, l-canceling, and other technical things by yourself. But you're really going to need some competition.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Plug in 2 controllers, go to vs. mode, put it on infinite time, pick both characters. Fight/do combos/practice techs.

That is really the best way to practice...it allows you to use C-stick.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Wow. That's just an awful bunch of n00bs posting here (I count four). Really, do either as CrimsonBlur implied, or kick a Lvl 1 *** (for active training, tech-training you might as well do on training mode, things such as shffls and WDs practice alot nicer if no CPU is bugging you >_>). The advantage over playing with two controllers is that training mode CPUs recover (not to kill them or anything, but that way you don't have to wait aeverytime you hit someone hard ^_^)

Guildenstern

Smash Apprentice
I am only beginning to learn the advanced techniques described on this board, but here is what I do for training:

Training Mode is good for first learning how to wavedash, L-cancel, etc. Start on 1/4 speed and work your way up. However, you don't have the C-stick in Training Mode, so it will only take you so far. For the new techniques, I've found it helps to start with Mario or Luigi and then go on to other characters like Fox.

Once you get the basics down for the new maneuvers, it helps to do VS matches against Lvl 1 CPUs. Just do 1-on-1, so you have plenty of opportunities to back off a little if needed. Once you're more confident, use a Lvl 5 CPU for an opponent that actually fights back; then you will begin to learn when things like wavedashing are actually strategically useful. Lvl 9 CPUs are useful for improving your reflexes and speed in order to avoid punishment for mistiming moves.

In all VS matches against CPUs, you should consciously avoid taking advantage of the obvious flaws in the AI. The AI always approaches you the same way (i.e., Bowser walks up to you and uses flame breath; Samus walks up to you and tries to grapple beam), and the AI always willingly falls into your charging smash attacks if they are tumbling above you. No human player is this stupid. When you play against CPUs, do so knowing that you are practicing timing and reflexes only; not strategy. Stay on the offensive and don't allow the AI any breaks, or you will be training youself badly.

One thing I do to help myself stay on the offensive is by setting a time limit to a stock match. The time limit should be short enough that it is difficult to completely defeat your opponent in the set amount of time. A good starting point is 1 minute per stock (i.e., 4 stock in 4 minutes, etc.) on a Lvl 9. And then set the time lower. Of course, what time limit is difficult depends a little on the speed of your character, but the point is to work on KOing your opponent as quickly as possible.

Practicing against multiple opponents is useful, too, and should really help you build speed. But you should also be wary of building bad habits based on the faulty AI.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention: turn items off, if you haven't already. They can be fun, but they don't help you learn.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
you should add it to the all you want to know about smash thread thingy;
"Best way to improve yourself: Yes! Playing with humans!!"

only1Z

Smash Champion
Lv. 1's for combo's.. For teching, either ganondorf BtT or Falco BtT they each have spots that you can be hit, and tech to save your self. Just so you get the general feel of teching. Practice mode for wave dashing. And the only way to probably, "truly" improve is to find human players. There is no alternative.

ShortRoundMcfly

Smash Cadet
Download some videos on the hub, and apply them to training mode and if you really feel like it, a CPU battle. I feel like I've improved more over the past weekend in which I found the hub then I have in past year.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
One suggestion...

DON'T practice on 1/4 speed. It has no practical use WHATSOEVER in real combat, and will screw up your timing.

The only way to get better is to play against humans, but you can practice tech skill against training dummies if you so wish.

Smash Lord
I didn't take the time to read all of these posts so forgive me if this was said.

For technical training (to help with your timing of attacks and such) i do training mode.

For teams i do 2 vs. 1 with handicaps

for singles: Samus, Fox or Marth with handicaps in FD

ShortRoundMcfly

Smash Cadet
*The forum rules*

No arguing- the tier list is law

No threads with questions

No threads that have been done in the past three years. Even if they are dead.

Reviving old threads is looked down upon

No threads the mods find uninteresting

No threads with an opinion the moderators don't agree on

No threads that aren't about moves.

Seagaia

Smash Rookie
Yikes. Strict rules.

Anyways, I'd say do what they say, but if you are going to fight a bot, use a level 1 computer. Level nines don't act like humans.

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
go away u noob.

lvl 1 cpu for combo's, 5 for a little overall, 9 for speed/reactions. then, when ur done, try beating event match 51 to see IF U'VE IMPROVED, not to beat it, but that would be good to. don't be jiggs; rest kills ;) .

training mode for WD, shfflc, l-cancel, etc. its not great for combo's because no C-stick, and that annoy's some pple.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Go to final Destination, Turn of the items, fight a lvl 9 fast character, or one you have a problem with, move on.

Red_Oxygen

Smash Apprentice
well

get a Lvl9 computer....

and practice your timing and predicting by countering an attack while its still in wind up....

Geno007

Smash Cadet
i think handicaps are bad for practice because it affects the knockback of your moves.

When I practice alone, I play infinite time vs level 1 cpu. That's probably the best way to practice. Now, playing event match 51 will not prove anything because you won't fight 3v1 battles in real combat. So the only way to see if you have improved is to play a human. In the meantime, practice.

Fox1

Smash Rookie
Here's a good way to practice. Set the stock to 10 and play against a level 9 cpu. When the match starts kill yourself 5 times. Try to beat the cpu that way. if you can't beat a level 9 then try a level 7 or 8 cpu. This is a good way to learn how to avoid taking damage.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Luigio said:
I believe that 1 v 1 versus a level 9 is a good way to train by yourself. After that, you can slowly migrate to 1 level 9 and 1 level 7 on you, then 2 level nines, then finally three level nines.

Oh boy. If someone who is new to the game did that, they'ed get so upset from the beatdown that they'd quit or it would really slow thier progress.

For starters, play at level 3-5. Why, You need confidence first that you can beat a cpu b4 you play a good ssbm player. Get comfortable learning how to kick butt. Then, Play the Single player moe. After you get bored wit that, then try beating the level nine guys. But, pay very close attention to what they do. For example, You'll see that a lv9 Fox will walk towards you to bait an attack, then counters with a forward strong. One of their1 goals is to grab you repeatedly, ending with Reflector to push you back for a combo. Seeing what moves the computer uses the most will help your game a whole lot. I remember that I leared to counter many ground rushes with link simply by grabbing wit hookshot.

The target pratcice is great for learning not so obvious ways to use your character's techniques.. Training mode is only for trying combos, though.

LAX

Smash Journeyman
This thread is horrible. I barely even want to reply. Don't practice against level 9s. They just develop bad habits. The best thing you can do is practice against level 1s. Seriously.

Colorful Mage

Smash Rookie
Haha. One of my friends plays Gannondorf, and although he does not own the game, I let him borrow it for about four weeks. He had only CPUs to play, and he actually got MUCH worse. As a few people have said, NEVER, EVER train against CPUs.

darkshadows

Smash Journeyman
In Melee discussion, being nice and keeping topics
There really is no point in training with 2 or more lvl 8+'s against you...that becomes a hit and run to survive, no room for tech stuff.

Training mode for the flashy stuff and 2controllers for combos.
Then you find a friend to challenge, and that's where you test yourself.

If no friend arrives, just do 1v1's with a lvl 9 and pwn them, the worst part about cpu's are that they are predictable and rarely, if ever, shield or smash at appropriate times (to me, lvl 7's and 8's are more fun since they actually use strong attacks and just try to KO, lvl 9's just use short and tilt attacks to stack damage, and wait for a player to finish them off)

Best101

Smash Ace
I practice by setting up three lvl 9 coms on the same team with a handicap of 1 each on Final Destination. You beat that and move the handicap up. Repeat the process until you lose. If the handicap is up to lvl 9 and if it is still too easy then train with human players.

darkshadows

Smash Journeyman
In Melee discussion, being nice and keeping topics
JayBee said:
Oh boy. If someone who is new to the game did that, they'ed get so upset from the beatdown that they'd quit or it would really slow thier progress.

For starters, play at level 3-5. Why, You need confidence first that you can beat a cpu b4 you play a good ssbm player. Get comfortable learning how to kick butt. Then, Play the Single player moe. After you get bored wit that, then try beating the level nine guys. But, pay very close attention to what they do. For example, You'll see that a lv9 Fox will walk towards you to bait an attack, then counters with a forward strong. One of their1 goals is to grab you repeatedly, ending with Reflector to push you back for a combo. Seeing what moves the computer uses the most will help your game a whole lot. I remember that I leared to counter many ground rushes with link simply by grabbing wit hookshot.

The target pratcice is great for learning not so obvious ways to use your character's techniques.. Training mode is only for trying combos, though.
Just to add to that, if you just started SSBM, beat regular and adventure up to hard before you go to the vs stadiums, those are great ways to get used to the controls and moves. Then go to the vs mode to use the pro techniques found in these forums, no noob should EVER try wavedashing before knowing how to smash (something i've told over and over to my cousins).

Also, try not to pay attention to what computers do, that just messes you up and makes you bored. The whole thing about SSBM is that it's completely unpredictable, no HUMAN is ever going to approach you the same way twice. -edit- GOOD human.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
Fox1 said:
Here's a good way to practice. Set the stock to 10 and play against a level 9 cpu. When the match starts kill yourself 5 times. Try to beat the cpu that way. if you can't beat a level 9 then try a level 7 or 8 cpu. This is a good way to learn how to avoid taking damage.
Good idea. Everyone keep in mind that this is ideas about how to practice alone, not reminders that CPU's arent good sparring partners.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Best101 said:
I practice by setting up three lvl 9 coms on the same team with a handicap of 1 each on Final Destination. You beat that and move the handicap up. Repeat the process until you lose. If the handicap is up to lvl 9 and if it is still too easy then train with human players.
That is the worst idea i have ever heard. Raising handicaps makes you worse at fighting real opponents. The weights change and its completely different from a normal fight.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, to add to what HugS said: Beating 3 Lvl9 computers = proves nothing. A 10 yearold with a set of mindgames could still crush you.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
I think I heard this from somewhere but I can't find it so I can't quote it:

"try going against a lvl 9 (1-5 if you are new to smash) and make it a stock battlw w/ a time limit so there are the same # of mins as there are stock. try to beat them and, if you killed them in time, bring the time down. This should help you with combos"

Whoever said this, speak up!

BentoBox

Smash Master
I kinda agree with Adam on this one... I myself have no friends who play smash, and doubt I'd come all the way down to the US only to play a few games of smash and get beaten up to a pulp before flying back to my country.. (canada).. So I've been wondering lately if I shouldn't just give up smash for now and wait for SSB:R >_>" And that's what most of you guys are suggesting too anywayz.. If you absolutely have NO means of playing agaisnt humans...then you're pretty much hopeless, according to y'all x_X

Top Bottom