• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What music do you listen to?

What is your favourite music genre?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 269706

Pretty much anything but rap. But Rock will always be my number 1. (Now my name makes sense, doesn't it? :p)

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
I like a lot of hip hop as well as pop a bit of jazz and R.B. But recently I've been listening to producers on YouTube that make hip hop remixes based off of animes and video games like the two I listen too the most is DJSonicFreak and BlackTri4orce.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
85% video game music, 15% L'Arc~en~Ciel, the GazettE, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and a few random non-VGM tracks I like.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I honestly listen to everything. Some of my favorites literally span across entire genres, from Taylor Swift to Rage Against The Machine to Mos Def to Nunjabes to 98 Degrees to Pink Floyd.

Every genre has something to offer musically. I've found at least a few artists for each genre that I've really liked. What I decide to listen to really depends on my mood and circumstance.

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
I honestly listen to everything. Some of my favorites literally span across entire genres, from Taylor Swift to Rage Against The Machine to Mos Def to Nunjabes to 98 Degrees to Pink Floyd.

Every genre has something to offer musically. I've found at least a few artists for each genre that I've really liked. What I decide to listen to really depends on my mood and circumstance.
Nujables made most of the soundtrack for the anime Samurai Champloo that is easily one of my favorite animes.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I've always found it hard to listen to music when I am in focus'd or competitive play - its like how I like silence when I am working as well.

If I am playing casually (like in WoW when I did battlegrounds to warm up, or when I jump on a Counter Strike server and dont care about being able to hear footsteps) I'll have a wide mix of things - but typically I'll listen to classic game music - be it the original scores, orchestral versions (distant worlds final fantasy for example) or some remixes via youtube.

Some of my favorite soundtracks to listen to - Final Fantasy (I to current), Chrono Trigger, Zelda series, Street Fighter, Mega Man.

If I am listening to non-gaming music, I'll likely put something on like White Panda - I try to avoid using the play lists I have on spotify for cycling/gym.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I pretty much listen to everything, with the exception of a few genres. If you were to search my library, you would mostly see eletric/house/DnB tho. Lately, I've had a taste for rock. A few groups I'm listening to now are, Mouse on the Keys, Rega, and Special Others.

electricSprites

Smash Rookie
NNID
alphryd
3DS FC
2294-4781-6234
I listen to everything I can, from Pop to J-rock, I'm a little biased to Hip-Hop tho, I love me some MF DOOM. I can't listen to country though, not that I think its bad or anything, just not for me.

jaytorgator

Smash Cadet
It all really depends on what I'm doing. I don't really have a certain type of music that I listen to exclusively, but I can say that Indie/Alternative is what constitutes most of my library. Arctic Monkeys, The Unicorns, Los Campesinos, This Town Needs Guns, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Andrew Bird, that's a lot of my library. I'm also a guilty pleasure fan of Weezer.

However, I only listen to this music when I really don't have anything to do and I'm just kind of relaxing. I have different playlists for different needs.

I listened to Classical music back when I was playing League, mainly because I felt it helped me concentrate better. I do the same for Smash nowadays; if I want to get extremely technical and really start thinking, I put on some classical music. I don't put on anything past the classical era, though. If I need to start thinking, I blast Vivaldi. The way the notes come together kind of make my brain start working a bit better.

If I'm driving, though, I'll put on some dubstep. Feeling the car vibrate is really fun.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I listen to a lot of things, from video game music to J-Pop/K-Pop to Electronic, Rock, etc etc. So pretty much anything I guess.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Allow me to represent metal, that most decadent of genres. \m/:shades:\m/

Metal is such a diverse genre that it can supplement the majority of my musical diet. The electric guitar is highly versatile, and metal thus lends itself to a delectable crunchy, weighty sound and to yielding a variety of styles. And the songwriting and structure of metal tends to be more complex and layered than found elsewhere, so it appeals as a cerebral experience.

I prefer the more melodious stuff, so my niche of choice is melodic death metal, though I also partake of black and death metal (of various symphonic/technical/whatever variants), folk metal, post-rock/post-metal, and some industrial metal and shoegaze-y stuff. Not much into power, thrash, or doom metal (though it's certainly listenable), nor am I very cultured in the older school output of the genre.

Beyond metal, I enjoy fingerstyle guitar, classical/symphonic music, minimalist pieces, and movie/show/game OSTs.

I don't have a sweet tooth for much else beyond that. No Country or Hip-Hop or Rap or R&B (or any electronic material, like House and Dubstep and DnB and so forth). Though I'm sure that if I were to investigate, I'd find stuff to my liking.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Hard Rock and Heavy Metal just about exclusively.

Allow me to represent metal, that most decadent of genres. \m/:shades:\m/

Metal is such a diverse genre that it can supplement the majority of my musical diet. The electric guitar is highly versatile, and metal thus lends itself to a delectable crunchy, weighty sound and to yielding a variety of styles. And the songwriting and structure of metal tends to be more complex and layered than found elsewhere, so it appeals as a cerebral experience.

I prefer the more melodious stuff, so my niche of choice is melodic death metal, though I also partake of black and death metal (of various symphonic/technical/whatever variants), folk metal, post-rock/post-metal, and some industrial metal and shoegaze-y stuff. Not much into power, thrash, or doom metal (though it's certainly listenable), nor am I very cultured in the older school output of the genre.

Beyond metal, I enjoy fingerstyle guitar, classical/symphonic music, minimalist pieces, and movie/show/game OSTs.

I don't have a sweet tooth for much else beyond that. No Country or Hip-Hop or Rap or R&B (or any electronic material, like House and Dubstep and DnB and so forth). Though I'm sure that if I were to investigate, I'd find stuff to my liking.
I just can't stand the vocals in black and death metal. What was wrong with actually singing or screeching, aside from not everyone being able to do it?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I just can't stand the vocals in black and death metal. What was wrong with actually singing or screeching, aside from not everyone being able to do it?
Metal lends itself well to loud, abrasive, aggressive, dissonant soundscapes. It is no surprise, then, that there were those who sought to explore different vocal styles, much as a cartographer might chart the lands before them. Death and Black Metal push harsh vocal styles to the extreme -- though only because the subgenres in themselves began as experiments in the pushing of sonic extremes, and have flourished from there.

There's nothing right or wrong about clean vocals, harsh vocals, or any imaginable variants (or combinations) thereof. It's all (acquired) taste, in the end. Some have a dislike for growls, others have no use for cleans. And that ties into one of the great things about metal -- there's something for everyone, vocals-wise and in terms of instrumental styles (and Black and Death Metal both have tons of subgenres and fusions on their own, so they're highly diverse in themselves).

Myself, I tend to appreciate most styles of metal vocals, harsh or clean. I've come to consider vocals as an instrument that supplements the rest of the music (so I was never much for lyrics -- which is probably for the best, since harsh vocals don't always lend themselves to intelligibility XD).

R0Y

Smash Master
Metal lends itself well to loud, abrasive, aggressive, dissonant soundscapes. It is no surprise, then, that there were those who sought to explore different vocal styles, much as a cartographer might chart the lands before them. Death and Black Metal push harsh vocal styles to the extreme -- though only because the subgenres in themselves began as experiments in the pushing of sonic extremes, and have flourished from there.

There's nothing right or wrong about clean vocals, harsh vocals, or any imaginable variants (or combinations) thereof. It's all (acquired) taste, in the end. Some have a dislike for growls, others have no use for cleans. And that ties into one of the great things about metal -- there's something for everyone, vocals-wise and in terms of instrumental styles (and Black and Death Metal both have tons of subgenres and fusions on their own, so they're highly diverse in themselves).

Myself, I tend to appreciate most styles of metal vocals, harsh or clean. I've come to consider vocals as an instrument that supplements the rest of the music (so I was never much for lyrics -- which is probably for the best, since harsh vocals don't always lend themselves to intelligibility XD).
Cheers for also liking the best sub-genre of music there ever was and ever will be by the way:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I listen to a lot of Dance Gavin Dance. I also like anything edm/rap.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
It's hard to say for me. I don't listen to country at all. I listen to a little bit of hip-hop/rap. I actually like quite a bit of rock and metal, but I'd never describe myself as a metalhead. I actually like a whole lot of pop and electronica but it's not my main thing either. Just like with games, I can't boil down the music I enjoy to any specific genre. I guess I just enjoy great musicians.

Two of my favorite artists are Bjork and a Japanese band named Envy... but their styles of changed a lot over the years. Bjork began mainly as sort of an advant-garde pop artist but began experimenting with styles like electronica later on. Envy started as a screamo band but later began to experiment with styles like post-rock. You can't put either of these bands in a single box so I can definitely say that I value great artists over specific genres.

Also, this is a lot of fun:

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I don't really consider myself a music enthusiast; I'm more of a listener. I appreciate just about every genre of music out there, so I guess you can say that I'm more focused on brilliant artists in genres I have a stronger leaning towards. Basically, I'll try just about anything as long as it isn't something that's heavily manufactured and appeals to the lowest common denominator. So none of those pop or rap one-hit-wonders that circulate on your local hit music station.

Video game and anime soundtracks are my specialty. Being a gamer as long as I have, I've grown an attachment to many soundtracks over the years. There are even songs from games I never played that I have a fond appreciation for. I guess you can say that my versatility in taste and style comes from this, as there really isn't any solid standard as to what classifies a song to sound like a video game (Y'know, unless we're talking about chiptunes or synth, but that's a subject in its own.)

Otherwise, my musical dispositions revolve around rock and metal with minute indulgences in electronica, orchestra, and jazz. But if there's any genre I'll go out of my way to listen to, it's metal. Metal to me encompasses a feeling of intensity and power. The guitar has a distinct harsh, chunky sound. The rapidity tends to be chaotic, yet complex. The instrumental compositions feel organic and intricate. The emotional tones touch just about every subject with some sort of contemplative depth to them, exploring dark themes other genres would faun from.

Like @ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht said, metal is so diverse that there's a style to fit everyone. Even down to vocal styles or what guitar techniques. Personally, I've never clung to one specific subgenre. Though I mostly exhibit some fondness towards death, prog, grunge, power, and djent. The "core" genres get into some peculiar territory for me. Never really liked black either, as it tends to be so cacophonic and indecipherable that it comes off as noise more than it does music.

However, since I haven't had a mutual passion for certain music with others and I still can't get over how judgmental and condescending certain music scenes can be, I'm very protective about how I share my tastes. If you're around me enough or you scourge my Smashboards post history, I may reference some lyrics or drop a song or band name.

Considering how maladjusted I am, music is something that I'd find passion in if I dedicated time to building up the dispositions I already have. I already feel this way with OST, considering I've had sentimental attachments to their source material all along. It's almost like getting into gaming or anime, really. The more you expose yourself to it, the faster it's acquired.

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I'll listen to anything but Country :p

Tbh, I listen to a lot of songs from all genres and a lot of eras too! I'm also a big fan of anime music (Attack on Titan theme, anyone? ;) ). Some of my favourite bands would probably be Coldplay, Imagine Dragons and the Kaiser Chiefs, but I listen to a lot of "one-hit wonders" too

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Anything but Country.
No, really...anything else.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I listen to a lot of experimental music, mostly experimental rap, namely Death Grips, and some vaporwave type stuff. Something I like to listen to a lot is a compilation album called FOGPAK, which is free. There's like 12 of them so far. I recommend checking it out if you like music that's a bit different.

But I can appreciate every genre, even country, contrary to this entire thread.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I spend a large majority of my time listening to EDM. House, trance, dnb, etc. However, I don't really have much of a liking towards dubstep. My favorite artist by a considerable amount is Deadmau5. I have over 3500 plays out of 84 of his songs; and he is one of the very few artists I actively follow and await new content from. Top favorite songs would be Strobe, I Remember, and Alone With You.

Apart from that large chunk, I also listen to R&B, rock, pop, country, rap, etc. etc. My favorite band would probably be either Anberlin or Linkin Park. I also listen to Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Tove Lo, Tycho, new Skrillex, etc. etc.

I also have a very large soft spot for VGM, and have a playlist on youtube consisting of over 180 or so and growing songs from various amounts of games. A large chunk of it being Zelda.

And this is probably literally my favorite song: DyE - Fantasy.

Last edited:

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
Pretty much everything that doesn't have a banjo, or screaming.

I have a pretty wide spectrum of music I enjoy. I usually find myself listening to VGM more often than my Spotify Playlist though...

mat7772

Smash Cadet
Nobody else a dubstep lover? :(

Listen to a lot of dubstep, but I'm also a person who loves just a beautiful voice with meaningful lyrics behind it, and not just "bang all those b******", Christina Perri being a favourite.

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
I'll listen to anything but Country :p

Tbh, I listen to a lot of songs from all genres and a lot of eras too! I'm also a big fan of anime music (Attack on Titan theme, anyone? ;) ). Some of my favourite bands would probably be Coldplay, Imagine Dragons and the Kaiser Chiefs, but I listen to a lot of "one-hit wonders" too
Friday by Rebecca Black???? Lol

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
Darma
It's hard to say for me. I don't listen to country at all. I listen to a little bit of hip-hop/rap. I actually like quite a bit of rock and metal, but I'd never describe myself as a metalhead. I actually like a whole lot of pop and electronica but it's not my main thing either. Just like with games, I can't boil down the music I enjoy to any specific genre. I guess I just enjoy great musicians.

Two of my favorite artists are Bjork and a Japanese band named Envy... but their styles of changed a lot over the years. Bjork began mainly as sort of an advant-garde pop artist but began experimenting with styles like electronica later on. Envy started as a screamo band but later began to experiment with styles like post-rock. You can't put either of these bands in a single box so I can definitely say that I value great artists over specific genres.

Also, this is a lot of fun:

Darmanitan just like my boy shofu

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Here are my favorite songs as of now.

10. Rockstar by Nickelback
9. Numb by Linkin Park
8. Leaving Las Vegas by Sheryl Crow
7. Nothing's gonna stand in our way by John Farnham
6. The Remedy (I Won't Worry) by Jason Mraz
5. If You're Gone by Matchbox 20
4. Bye Bye Bye by NSync
3. Knight of the Wind by Crush 40
2. The Touch by Stan Bush
1. Livin on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I'm really into punk/emo/screamo at the moment. Though I do love me some pop & I've dabbling into some metal & electronic as well

Lady Palutena

Smash Rookie
Metal and Rock. I don't really have a favorite type of metal or rock though I like all the sub genres. As far as other music goes, I don't really care for much else. But I absolutely can not tolerate Country.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I have a broad spectrum when it comes to music, but I tend to lean towards rock and country music.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Classic music and hard rock mainly, although I have a few songs I enjoy time to time from every genre.

Top Bottom