• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is the only current gen console I own... mainly for lack of time to play games.

They are often behind the curve in online options... smash not having online with anyone stock... or any way to set rules that one might like in modes with friends for example.

Graphics have been low compared to competitors and caused them to miss out on some great titles. With that said, this does allow them to sell their stuff cheaper.

Wii U game pad... that as a controller for everyone could have opened up a lot of fun/convenient options in a number of games. Pick plays in Madden, manage own inventory in couch multilayer without slowing anyone else down, switch attacks on the run... but only having one killed a lot of fun that could be had. This came down to price, and If they can't make them cheap enough to sell at a reasonable price, then this idea shouldn't have happened. Furthermore, it is way to forced in simple things like set up, or downloading stuff. Nintendo land did a few fun things with it, but I haven't seen any game utilize it in a major "This is game changing level awesome" way.

Breaking Mario Party. If you have the right people, this game is one of the most fun out there mainly because of the mini games and the many many ways to screw an opponent over... then they made it a happy family card ride and destroyed it. As much as I don't like the Wii U game pad lots of fun could have been had with 1 vs 3 mini games if it was utilized in the old style.

Breaking Star Fox: Star Fox 64 was amazing... he never should have left the cockpit for anything but smash.

And no Pokemon MMO... or even rent a server and invite people you know... series could do amazing things with that. I am not the biggest pokemon fan by a long shot, but I could see myself friends and family having a blast with this.

This is an incomplete list...

For all they do wrong, they are still the best at local multilayer parties IMO which is the primary gaming I do these days.

Last edited:

Rosalina and Luma

Smash Rookie
I noticed the OP said something about not being able to play Rebirth due to religious reasons...
Looks like we have to take past OP to the Binding of Isaac website.

Anyways, I'm somewhat disappointed in the rehashes they put out. NSMB2 and SMG2 are good games... but, they're just rehashes.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Anyways, I'm somewhat disappointed in the rehashes they put out. NSMB2 and SMG2 are good games... but, they're just rehashes.
I remember not being pleased with NSMB2 because *surprise surprise* it's exactly the same game as the first two NSMB games. It wouldn't hurt for them to come up with something new and fresh, but it seems like they don't want to get out of their rehash comfort zone.

SMG2 was better, but not by much. It's just the first Galaxy all over again, but with Yoshi added in and a fat Luma.

I just wish they stop making rehashes, but this isn't just a problem with Nintendo. Every other company needs to stop doing rehashes because it's getting old.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I remember not being pleased with NSMB2 because *surprise surprise* it's exactly the same game as the first two NSMB games. It wouldn't hurt for them to come up with something new and fresh, but it seems like they don't want to get out of their rehash comfort zone.

SMG2 was better, but not by much. It's just the first Galaxy all over again, but with Yoshi added in and a fat Luma.

I just wish they stop making rehashes, but this isn't just a problem with Nintendo. Every other company needs to stop doing rehashes because it's getting old.

It is a delicate balance to find a way to make a game that fan's of the series love, while at the same time making it new.

2D platforming has been around forever. (Though it had a break in the N64/Playstation, then Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 Era). There are small things to add... and I want to see them continue to do it. With that said, don't want to go reinventing the wheel and coming out with something square like those old wooden roller coasters. (Hate those things). I haven't yet played the Wii U version of new super mario bros 2 (I am a not rich person who waits for price drops on anything but games like smash with a long multiplayer lifespan)... but I wouldn't want it to stray to far personally.

As far as Galaxy goes, I thought #2 was the right step for the series. Similar formula, addition of some old favorite characters, and a bumped up difficulty. (Galaxy one was much easier than I am used to games being though still fun).

But I can see your point. Nintnedo has stayed true to it's formulas for a while and that is a double edged sword.

But changing to much has ruined multiple series. Star Fox 64: A very very fun on rails shooter. Star Fox Adventure: Something very different... and suddenly the space age scene main character doesn't even posses a freaking gun... Star Fox Assault: Effort to please everyone that ended up pleasing nobody.... and true squeal to Star Fox 64 does not currently exist 2 console generations later.

Mario Party:
1st game was a cult classic with the many chances to screw over opponents and the chance for a real injury without backing down. Losing a lawsuit says they couldn't do that again...

#2: Button mashing pain still exists, but the same formula and the ability to screw players over by chance time, boo, items, throwing team mini games, etc remained.

Next few expanded it.... before I think it was 5 changed up the items and added a lot more randomness.

#8 tried to innovate with motion controls... could have been a lot better than it was.

Then the dreaded #9.... turn it into a family car ride and ruin everything... All the craziness that was fun about the series gone... innovated in the wrong way.

And #10 could have been the best use of the gamepad under the old formula but they had to stay with family rode trip theme... horrible horrible horrible!

While the rest of the 3d Mario Series has gotten good reviews.. I am still wanting a squeal to Mario 64 where most levels were open (be it small) world instead of linear platformer with a few forks in the road.

So yea... The quoted post was good to read... but there is a downside to trying to hard to innovate... games lose what made them great ot begin with.

Other companies examples: Banjo Kazooie becoming a vehicle builder. Dragon Age II straying away from much of the great RPG elements. (hear say on this one), Rouge Squadren series adding foot combat that just didn't work in Rebel Strike... I am sure others could add to that.

Other times I agree 100%: Call of Duty... $60 a year + DLC for a rehash with a short lifespan? No way!

Madden: NFL talks about protecting the shield yet allows EA this exclusive license to manufacture uninnovative garbage... hypocrisy!

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like Nintendo has been trying really hard to appease the generation that grew up on SNES games or their GBA ports. NSMB is basically Mario World (with a good dash of Mario 3), DK Tropical Freeze isn't really all that different from the original DKC games, A Link Between Worlds is very similar to A Link To the Past, ect.

That's honestly why I'm worried about the new Star Fox. It isn't going to be a game that evolves the series further from where Assault left off, it's probably just going to be a lazy rehash of Star Fox 64. Probably because Star Fox fans tend to have rose-tinted retinas when it comes to that game.

While the rest of the 3d Mario Series has gotten good reviews.. I am still wanting a squeal to Mario 64 where most levels were open (be it small) world instead of linear platformer with a few forks in the road.
Mario Sunshine and Galaxy has you covered. I just wish Nintendo would continue to evolve 64's game play. Isometric Mario was an interesting idea, but when you get down to it, it's just 2D Mario with a Z axis.

Star Fox Assault: Effort to please everyone that ended up pleasing nobody....
I liked Star Fox Assault.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I feel like Nintendo has been trying really hard to appease the generation that grew up on SNES games or their GBA ports. NSMB is basically Mario World (with a good dash of Mario 3), DK Tropical Freeze isn't really all that different from the original DKC games, A Link Between Worlds is very similar to A Link To the Past, ect.

That's honestly why I'm worried about the new Star Fox. It isn't going to be a game that evolves the series further from where Assault left off, it's probably just going to be a lazy rehash of Star Fox 64. Probably because Star Fox fans tend to have rose-tinted retinas when it comes to that game.
I like ALBW, but it doesn't change my mind that it's still a complete rehash of ALTTP. It doesn't help that it was actually gonna be a remake of ALTTP at one point.

I don't mind the same gameplay not being changed, but I also want to see something added to it in order to make a game stay fresh. If it's a game that hasn't changed all that much ever since a very successful installment came out (ex: OOT) or changing it too much, then it's a very big problem.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Mario Sunshine and Galaxy has you covered. I just wish Nintendo would continue to evolve 64's game play. Isometric Mario was an interesting idea, but when you get down to it, it's just 2D Mario with a Z axis.
Most of Mario 64s levels were small open worlds. Got dropped in and had some options of where you decide to go. And many things could be done out of order.

I never liked Sunshine... Fludd cleaning... just no.

Galaxy rarely has that open feel. It is a 3d game that is very linear in nature. Got one way to go, with maybe 2 forks in the level. Great games in their own right (especially part 2) but they moved away from what I loved about 64... a game I don't feel we ever got a squeal to in it's style.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I liked Fludd cleaning.

Granted, I never had an N64 as a kid. Hell, I never even owned anything Nintendo related until the GCN came out, so I really don't have that N64 nostalgia that caused so many people to irrationally hate the GCN back in the early 2000s.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not make GBA games from the 3DS Ambassador program available for everyone else.

I wanna play Metroid Fusion dammit.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
If their E3 conference is nothing but Splatoon related stuff, then I'm done with them.
I kinda feel this way too given how weak Mario Kart 8 and Sm4sh turned out.

I've always been a huge Nintendo fan but after what a disappointment the Wii U has turned out to be I probably won't be buying any more Nintendo consoles in the future.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've always been a huge Nintendo fan but after what a disappointment the Wii U has turned out to be I probably won't be buying any more Nintendo consoles in the future.
To be fair, the N64 and GCN were pretty underwhelming while they were considered "current" too. The thing is with Nintendo consoles is that they tend to have a handful of awesome games a year but hardly anything else. Sure, in hindsight you could say the N64 and GCN had fantastic libraries, but they sure didn't get that way overnight.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I kinda feel this way too given how weak Mario Kart 8 and Sm4sh turned out.

It doesn't help that I've become less interested in Nintendo due to how they settle things in this day and age. I wouldn't be too surprised Splatoon will end up being the only game to get others more interested in buying a Wii U and not a game from an older franchise. It also doesn't help that the game has an art & music style that just screams "way too kiddy & weird" to me.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Nintendo plays too many games with consumers like limiting supply to artificially jack up the price of mediocre games such as Pikmin 3. Further still, who can argue that the scarce availability of certain products like Amiibos and the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U haven't been complete disasters. All these ploys do in the long run is alienate fans who have a wonderful video gaming platform alternative in the PS4. If Nintendo truly wants to be relevant again in the home console market they'll cease with the gimmicks and give fans what they really want, and that's plenty of games in various genres at affordable prices.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Nintendo plays too many games with consumers like limiting supply to artificially jack up the price of mediocre games such as Pikmin 3. Further still, who can argue that the scarce availability of certain products like Amiibos and the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U haven't been complete disasters. All these ploys do in the long run is alienate fans who have a wonderful video gaming platform alternative in the PS4. If Nintendo truly wants to be relevant again in the home console market they'll cease with the gimmicks and give fans what they really want, and that's plenty of games in various genres at affordable prices.
It's reasons like this that I'm thinking about moving to Steam for my video game needs. You actually get games at very reasonable prices during sales & whatnot (which is something Nintendo rarely does nowadays). Sure Steam isn't perfect (no gaming platform is), but it still feels like a better alternative to Nintendo platforms. Like I said before, Nintendo's been disappointing me lately concerning on how they handle things in recent years. 2015 looks like it's even worse for them when it comes to certain Amiibos still jacked up in prices and only giving attention to games that not a whole lot of people like myself give two craps about.

The Wii U's a lost cause for me. I'll give Nintendo another chance with Zelda U next year (if it doesn't get delayed again). If they still do wrong by then, then they just lost another longtime & loyal fan.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo plays too many games with consumers like limiting supply to artificially jack up the price of mediocre games such as Pikmin 3.
I don't think think Nintendo is purposely limiting copies of Pikmin 3 to inflate the price. Especially if you're referring to the second hand market, since Nintendo receives zero profit from that. It's more that the game didn't sell well and Nintendo's not printing any more copies for that reason.

Further still, who can argue that the scarce availability of certain products like Amiibos and the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U haven't been complete disasters.
I'll agree that the supply of GCN adapters and Amiibos was handled disastrously. Nintendo really, really should have foreseen this, especially with how collectible Amiibos are.

All these ploys do in the long run is alienate fans who have a wonderful video gaming platform alternative in the PS4. If Nintendo truly wants to be relevant again in the home console market they'll cease with the gimmicks and give fans what they really want, and that's plenty of games in various genres at affordable prices.
This has been a recurring problem for Nintendo ever since the N64. The only reason why people are noticing it now is because they're not twelve anymore. But back in the day other Nintendo consoles got the same criticisms, usually bundled with the "kiddie" moniker though. Both the N64 and GameCube were infamous for having three fantastic games a year and absolutely nothing else. For example, I present a Penny Arcade comic from 2003: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/02/28

The thing is with Nintendo consoles is that they're fantastic if you also own a Sony or MS console, but really lackluster on their own.

As for things being affordable, new games will always be $60 no matter what you go. So yeah, at least it's better than when we used cartridges when games were $60-$80 inflation not applied.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It's reasons like this that I'm thinking about moving to Steam for my video game needs. You actually get games at very reasonable prices during sales & whatnot (which is something Nintendo rarely does nowadays). Sure Steam isn't perfect (no gaming platform is), but it still feels like a better alternative to Nintendo platforms. Like I said before, Nintendo's been disappointing me lately concerning on how they handle things in recent years. 2015 looks like it's even worse for them when it comes to certain Amiibos still jacked up in prices and only giving attention to games that not a whole lot of people like myself give two craps about.

The Wii U's a lost cause for me. I'll give Nintendo another chance with Zelda U next year (if it doesn't get delayed again). If they still do wrong by then, then they just lost another longtime & loyal fan.
I don't know about Steam, Valve has been making some terrible decisions lately. Aside from the paid mod fiasco, they've recently allowed companies to ban people from playing games... that they've bought. No, not just multiplayer modes - Single-player, too. In fact, Rockstar just caught a lot of flack for banning people from playing GTA5 who have mods installed.

Why not check out GOG? It's a bit expensive as far as old games go, but it's DRM-free, so you can make as many backup copies as you like and you'll still have a working game.

http://www.gog.com/ Just in case you want the link.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I don't know about Steam, Valve has been making some terrible decisions lately. Aside from the paid mod fiasco, they've recently allowed companies to ban people from playing games... that they've bought. No, not just multiplayer modes - Single-player, too. In fact, Rockstar just caught a lot of flack for banning people from playing GTA5 who have mods installed.

Why not check out GOG? It's a bit expensive as far as old games go, but it's DRM-free, so you can make as many backup copies as you like and you'll still have a working game.

http://www.gog.com/ Just in case you want the link.
GOG doesn't even look all that appealing to me from the looks of it. It might end up being worse than Steam if I did join there.

Can't really trust any game company these days sadly.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
GOG doesn't even look all that appealing to me from the looks of it. It might end up being worse than Steam if I did join there.

Can't really trust any game company these days sadly.
That's the brilliant thing: You don't have to trust them, except as far as to pay them and receive your product. With Steam, you have to trust that Valve never goes out of business, or you could lose access to your games. You have to trust that Valve doesn't implement paid mods. You have to trust that Valve doesn't bloat the Steam client more than it already has. Heck, I've recently taken to pirating Steam games I've already paid for just so I won't have to have it weigh down my PC, which is already a bit on the wimpy side for gaming.

However all of GOG's releases are completely DRM-free. You buy it, it's on your account, and you download it. If you uninstall it, log in and redownload it. If you don't trust GOG to keep it on your account, make as many backups as you like because there are no copying restrictions. There's no CD you have to insert. It won't install a rootkit to your HDD. It won't add two or three extra DRM procedures, nor install a backdoor in your browser without asking or alerting you. Nobody can lock you out of playing your games. You only have to trust GOG to provide the service the law requires it to, that is give you the product you paid for. It's been around six and a half years and is probably the second most popular digital download service for PC games, so it can hardly be called a scam. It's also never been hacked, as far as I can recall, and Google doesn't turn anything up on them being hacked. Steam has, by contrast, been hacked at least twice, possibly more.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
this really isn't a problem with nintendo per se, but perhaps with its fanbase, or the gaming community as a whole. what is very frustrating to me is when there are games like COD, which nintendo (other companies too, but primarily nintendo) fans CONSTANTLY refer to as a "rehash", or a "shameless cashgrab." neither of those points are at all valid because:
1. nintendo recycles the same playstyle 90% of the time for returning IPs, and are seldom called out on it.
2. there is literally nothing wrong with a game being a cashgrab. the entire point of a company is to make money, and can you blame them for doing just that? people will buy their games, so they make more games.

Last edited:
Paper Mario: Sticker Star was going to be a decent game, but Miyamoto didn't approve, made them drop all PM-exclusive characters bar Kersti (who is one of the worst Mario characters ever), changed partners and normal RPG gameplay to stickers, made them use "Bowser kidnaps Peach" -plot instead of original storyline and the result was New Super Mario Bros made of paper. Sadly, it is one of the worst games I've played, ruined by the creator of the series.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Paper Mario: Sticker Star was going to be a decent game, but Miyamoto didn't approve, made them drop all PM-exclusive characters bar Kersti (who is one of the worst Mario characters ever), changed partners and normal RPG gameplay to stickers and the game became New Super Mario Bros made of paper. Sadly, it is one of the worst games I've played, ruined by the creator of the series.
I've been told that Miamoto had more involvement in the first two then SS. I don't think things happened exactly as you think...

I've been told that Miamoto had more involvement in the first two then SS. I don't think things happened exactly as you think...
It was stated in Iwata Asks that Miyamoto asked developers to use only pre-established Mario characters (which probably was partial reason why partners were dropped) and keep the story to a minimum. He also asked them to make a "big change" to the game (which resulted them using the horrible sticker mechanic).

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It was stated in Iwata Asks that Miyamoto asked them use only pre-established Mario characters (which probably was partial reason why partners were dropped) and keep the story to a minimum. He also asked them to make a "big change" to the game (which resulted them using the horrible sticker mechanic).
Which came from IS not understanding what the average fans want from PM...

Evil Burrito

Smash Cadet
The Wii U itself. Barely any third party support, lame online, most 1st party Nintendo games have no online or voice chat, ported games to the Wii U aren't even the best version compared to there PS3/Xbox360 versions, No game invites, & many months of no game droughts. Iwata & Miyamoto even admit the Wii U is failing and they have failed to show it's full power. It seems like Nintendo is now focusing on Amiibos then releasing games on there dying console. The 3DS is doing awesome and in every Nintendo Direct they seem to show more stuff to the 3DS then the Wii U portion. "When Zelda U comes out the Wii U will be good!" So you're telling me after 5 years the Wii U has been out, NOW it's good because of Zelda U which was suppose to come out 2015? It's stuff like this that doesn't want me to get a Wii U.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They have done pretty much everything to upset me as a gamer at some point. But I still love them.

finalark

SNORLAX
The Wii U itself. Barely any third party support,
*cough* *cough*

lame online, most 1st party Nintendo games have no online or voice chat,
*cough*

ported games to the Wii U aren't even the best version compared to there PS3/Xbox360 versions,
Replace PS3/Xbox360 with PS1 and Saturn and you get... oh, well isn't that interesting?

& many months of no game droughts.
Sounds familiar.

The 3DS is doing awesome and in every Nintendo Direct they seem to show more stuff to the 3DS then the Wii U portion.
You know what's other handhelds outsold and outperformed their console counterparts?

Just sayin' the Wii U is suffering from the same exact problems that the N64 and GCN did and receives similar criticisms as those consoles did. Ports of PS1/SAT games to N64 were never as good as their counterparts on other consoles, and at the time it had a reputation for having two or three fantastic games a year and absolutely nothing else. As for the GCN, one of it's major criticisms was that while it's rivals were quite successfully diving into the world of online play with games like Final Fantasy XI and Halo 2, Nintendo's online options were almost completely non-existent. Interestingly enough they also pulled a reverse Wii U with the console's library. While people complain about the Wii U taking it's sweet time to release new installments in long-running franchises the GCN had new games for various series released at the beginning of it's life cycle, leaving hardly anything for the middle and end.

The point is, the N64 and GCN were both Wii Us. It's just that you're not hyped up on Captain Crunch and Yu-Gi-Oh so it's much more noticeable now. If anything, this is proof that Nintendo has a hard time learning from it's mistakes. Oh well, the N64 and GCN were great companion consoles to own alongside a PS1 or PS2 and I feel the Wii U is the same way.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wouldn't say Nintendo has a hard time learning from their mistakes... But it's that recovering from "no third parties" after the N64 is basically impossible, and simply copying the other two's hardware and online structure wouldn't mean third parties would just roll on in. If anything, a system like that would put them further in the hole then another Wii U would because of this "Nintendo fans don't buy third party games" mentality.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
The Wii U itself. Barely any third party support, lame online, most 1st party Nintendo games have no online or voice chat, ported games to the Wii U aren't even the best version compared to there PS3/Xbox360 versions, No game invites, & many months of no game droughts. Iwata & Miyamoto even admit the Wii U is failing and they have failed to show it's full power. It seems like Nintendo is now focusing on Amiibos then releasing games on there dying console. The 3DS is doing awesome and in every Nintendo Direct they seem to show more stuff to the 3DS then the Wii U portion. "When Zelda U comes out the Wii U will be good!" So you're telling me after 5 years the Wii U has been out, NOW it's good because of Zelda U which was suppose to come out 2015? It's stuff like this that doesn't want me to get a Wii U.
The N64 & GCN had the same exact problems, but they still did fine to me in terms of what they had to offer. Sadly, I can't say the same for the Wii U because it didn't offer me all that much besides a few games. The 3DS is better since it offers a lot more compared to the Wii U. Seriously, the Wii U's a failure, and there's no way Nintendo can try to make the system look like something worth buying if it barely has anything worth playing on. It needs more than just mediocre first party titles.

finalark

SNORLAX
The N64 & GCN had the same exact problems, but they still did fine to me in terms of what they had to offer. Sadly, I can't say the same for the Wii U because it didn't offer me all that much besides a few games. The 3DS is better since it offers a lot more compared to the Wii U.
The thing is, N64 and GCN didn't offer their solid libraries overnight. Both consoles were very criticized for their slow release schedule at the time. Plus the GBA and GB were often consider superior to the N64 and GCN due to having a better release schedule and actual third party support.

I feel like the Wii U, just like the N64 and GCN, is likely going to be a console that is loved in hindsight.

It needs more than just Mario titles titles.
Edited for accuracy.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The N64 & GCN had the same exact problems, but they still did fine to me in terms of what they had to offer. Sadly, I can't say the same for the Wii U because it didn't offer me all that much besides a few games. The 3DS is better since it offers a lot more compared to the Wii U. Seriously, the Wii U's a failure, and there's no way Nintendo can try to make the system look like something worth buying if it barely has anything worth playing on. It needs more than just mediocre first party titles.
Hmmm, I'd say the Wii U is much better off then the N64.

The N64 had:
SM64
Pilotwings 64
Starfox 64
SSB 64 (See a pattern?)
MK 64 (this was when the MK series was still meh so eh)
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Yoshi's Story
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Goldeneye
And I'm probably forgetting a few...

Wii U has:
NSMBU
NSLB
SM3DW
DKCTF
W101
SSBU
MK8
Kirby atRC
Captain Toad
Rayman Legends (Multiplat but not worse then the other versions)
HW
Zelda U
WWHD (Remake, not that the N64 has any)
Yoshi's Woolly World
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade X
Plenty of eshop and VC games (NES Rimix, Pushmo, indies like Shovel Knight)
Wii BC
Usable controllers
And it still has a year or two left.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
The thing is, N64 and GCN didn't offer their solid libraries overnight. Both consoles were very criticized for their slow release schedule at the time. Plus the GBA and GB were often consider superior to the N64 and GCN due to having a better release schedule and actual third party support.

I feel like the Wii U, just like the N64 and GCN, is likely going to be a console that is loved in hindsight.

Edited for accuracy.
It's pretty depressing that Nintendo's handhelds actually do better than their consoles. I'm not annoyed by it, but I still find it sad.

And I forgot about the overabundance of Mario games on the Wii U. I'm honestly quite sick of seeing the system being littered with nothing but Mario games.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's pretty depressing that Nintendo's handhelds actually do better than their consoles. I'm not annoyed by it, but I still find it sad.

And I forgot about the overabundance of Mario games on the Wii U. I'm honestly quite sick of seeing the system being littered with nothing but Mario games.
Uh...

N64:
SM64
MK64
Paper Mario
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3

Wii U:
NSMBU
NSLU (A Mario game that doesn't feature Mario)
SM3DW
MP10
Mario Maker
MK8
Captain Toad (Kinda, wouldn't call Yoshi games Mario games either)

The Wii U will end up with more Mario games simply because it'll have more games.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned but for me it's definitely their poor handling of amiibos. If it's not from Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon, it's rare as all get out. Also how restock dates are so unspecific *coughMarthcough*.

finalark

SNORLAX
@ LancerStaff LancerStaff I don't think it's really fair to list games that don't exist yet. For all we know, Yoshi's Whooly World, Xenoblade X and Zelda U might all end up being garbage.

I'd say the biggest weakness that the Wii U has right now is that if you're not super into platformers then the console doesn't have a whole lot for you.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
@ LancerStaff LancerStaff I don't think it's really fair to list games that don't exist yet. For all we know, Yoshi's Whooly World, Xenoblade X and Zelda U might all end up being garbage.

I'd say the biggest weakness that the Wii U has right now is that if you're not super into platformers then the console doesn't have a whole lot for you.
People are leaking Yoshi from Europe, Xenoblade X is getting rave reviews from Japan, and the only "bad" Zeldas to come from Nintendo are the DS games if you're allergic to stylus controls.

That I can understand, but virtually every system that wasn't a major success like the DS always has one genre outnumber the rest.

Top Bottom