• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

finalark

SNORLAX
I hate that Japanese games these days have to resort to otaku pandering. It's one of the reasons why I didn't like SS all that much compared to other Zeldas. It felt like a high school anime to me.
I wouldn't have been as disappointed by SMT x Fire Emblem if they had been upfront about the fact that it's basically a Nintendo-exclusive Persona game from the start. I don't even hate Persona or anything, I genuinely consider P4 to be one of better RPGs that I've played. Just don't promise me Fist of the North Star when all you've got is K-On.

That pandering to the otaku crowd is getting pretty old though IMO. Especially in anime where nearly every show to come out in the last five years has been nothing but the same dozen archetypes and the same school setting. Sure, there have been some gems here and there but ironically the most refreshing show to come out recently is an adaptation of a manga from the 80s. In terms of video games, I've been playing Persona 2 and let me tell you, it is really nice to play JRPG with a cast of grown-ass adults where school life is not a central piece. Again, this is a game from fifteen years ago. I've been into Japanese media for a long time now. I really doubt I'll ever stop playing JRPGs or reading manga but I'm really disliking the direction that the scene at large has been taking. /endofftopicrant

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Nintendo got out of Brazil. There is not even a Wii U eShop here! Region-Locking also pisses me out.
Forgot about this. I remember reading several articles about it back in January and I have to say I feel really bad for fans at Brazil because they won't be getting any later games from Nintendo. I get it's because of the costs over there, but why get out of it while leaving half your fanbase behind?

I just hope Nintendo doesn't do anything like this with another country again.

D

Deleted member

Their refusal to give MOTHER 3 the international release it deserves, and the fact they haven't made a sequel to Kirby Air Ride or F-Zero GX twelve years after the fact ;_;

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Not giving custom moves to Mewtwo. This makes me feel like developers don't even care about characters they add as DLC and without them Mewtwo feels incomplete and poorly implemented. This also killed all my want for any more additional fighters until they fix what they did to Mewtwo.

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
Not giving custom moves to Mewtwo. This makes me feel like developers don't even care about characters they add as DLC and without them Mewtwo feels incomplete and poorly implemented. This also killed all my want for any more additional fighters until they fix what they did to Mewtwo.

Chances are, Sakurai is really tired from making Smash Bros becuase he did work on it for months and without break. I do think he probably will get to doing customs for him but he probably is taking a break right now.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Chances are, Sakurai is really tired from making Smash Bros becuase he did work on it for months and without break. I do think he probably will get to doing customs for him but he probably is taking a break right now.
Especially since he's having problems with his arm again. The guy really needs a break from Smash because of it.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I don't mind if Sakurai laid back and trusted the rest of the team to do their job, really, no one's forcing him to work 24/7 with no holidays... unless ninty is.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't mind if Sakurai laid back and trusted the rest of the team to do their job, really, no one's forcing him to work 24/7 with no holidays... unless ninty is.
Given the way the white-collar corporate world works in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Are you sure that Mewtwo lacks customs? Did you try the Target Smash exploit? Or has that been fixed?

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
The Amiibo artificial limitations and still lagging behind in online functionality are the two things that are irritating me in regards to Nintendo.

ronniem3

Smash Rookie
Way back when Final Fantasy stopped appearing on Nintendo. I was so sad.

Recently, I'll also throw my hat into the Amiibo availability and their communications of any restock coming. Can't get my Fire Emblem Amiibos!

finalark

SNORLAX
The lack of Castlevania games.
I don't think that's really Nintendo's fault. Besides, the recent Castlevania games have all been mediocre anyway. If anything, I'd wish that Konami would sell the rights to Castlevania to Nintendo or at least let them develop one.

finalark

SNORLAX
He needs to retire!

He can;t simply pass the torch to someone else?
If only it were that simple. I'd imagine that there are a lot of factors for why he can't just up and leave. The biggest issue being that corporate Japan views employment with almost a feudal mindset where employee loyalty is valued above all else. Basically, in the if you worked for Sony, quit and then tried to get a job at Nintendo your status as a previous Sony employee would label you as suspicious, disloyal and chances are you'd still be seen as "the enemy." if Sakurai wanted to leave Nintendo it would be a challenge for him to find work elsewhere unless he formed his own studio with zero ties to Nintendo.

Plus in Japanese culture when your superior asks you to do something you just don't say no. It's been that way for centuries and it doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon. The above is also probably why Kojima has been working endlessly working on Metal Gear projects even though he never intended for there to be any more games after Solid. Of course, I have never worked in corporate Japan nor do I personally know anyone who has. Thus, everything I have just stated is based entirely on what I've read and deduced, so I could be horrible off the mark. If anyone who is more knowledgeable on this subject wants to correct me please do.

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
I really dislike how Nintendo still has region lock. Every console nowadays doesn't region lock (even Xbox One doesn't have it IIRC) so why does Nintendo still have it? I personally believe that importing a game can help give the devs more confident that their game can be successful in this region and whatnot.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Easy answer. Gamecube+wii u and Gamecube & GBA+new 3ds. AND WHERE IS MOTHER 1,2,&3 ON 3DS?!?!

I really dislike how Nintendo still has region lock. Every console nowadays doesn't region lock (even Xbox One doesn't have it IIRC) so why does Nintendo still have it? I personally believe that importing a game can help give the devs more confident that their game can be successful in this region and whatnot.
I believe they still have region lock for specific content the games hold that Nintendo doesn't want the specific region to see/hear. However... I don't get it about mewtwo dlc's

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't think that's really Nintendo's fault. Besides, the recent Castlevania games have all been mediocre anyway. If anything, I'd wish that Konami would sell the rights to Castlevania to Nintendo or at least let them develop one.
Granted you're right. I just love the handheld Castlevanias and a new 3ds one would be nice. They've been done right before and I know it can be done again.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've decided that the 3DS port of Xenoblade being New 3DS exclusive really irks me for a number of reasons. On a personal level, I only ever got to play Xenoblade briefly when a friend lent it to me a while back for a weekend. I liked it and would have liked to do a full play through this summer. If the 3DS port was available for all 3DS' but had special features on New 3DS like Monster Hunter 4 or Majora's Mask did I would have bought it in an instant. The way things are now, I'm not paying a grand total of $240 to play Xenoblade. If I was willing to do that I'd just go out and buy the Wii version.

On a business level, it makes no damn sense. Sure, Xenoblade did well in Japan, but in America it's a somewhat obscure cult classic (although it's not really all that obscure anymore due to Shulk's inclusion in Smash). I assume that they rereleased Xenoblade on 3DS for two reasons: A) To promote Xenoblade X and B) To be a killer app for the New 3DS.

This fails in both respects. For A, it fails because Xenoblade isn't reaching a wider audience. Way more people own regular 3DS over New 3DS, meaning that very few will actually take the opportunity to play the game. If Nintendo was hoping to expand Xenoblade's fanbase to boost sales for Xenoblade X this is not how to do it. Second, for B, it fails because Xenoblade is not a big franchise. The only people who are going to go out and buy a New 3DS just to play Xenoblade are the same people who loved the game to death on Wii and want it on the go. People who are only passively interested in it but don't want to pay $200+ to play it still aren't going to pay $200+ dollars to play it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I've decided that the 3DS port of Xenoblade being New 3DS exclusive really irks me for a number of reasons. On a personal level, I only ever got to play Xenoblade briefly when a friend lent it to me a while back for a weekend. I liked it and would have liked to do a full play through this summer. If the 3DS port was available for all 3DS' but had special features on New 3DS like Monster Hunter 4 or Majora's Mask did I would have bought it in an instant. The way things are now, I'm not paying a grand total of $240 to play Xenoblade. If I was willing to do that I'd just go out and buy the Wii version.

On a business level, it makes no damn sense. Sure, Xenoblade did well in Japan, but in America it's a somewhat obscure cult classic (although it's not really all that obscure anymore due to Shulk's inclusion in Smash). I assume that they rereleased Xenoblade on 3DS for two reasons: A) To promote Xenoblade X and B) To be a killer app for the New 3DS.

This fails in both respects. For A, it fails because Xenoblade isn't reaching a wider audience. Way more people own regular 3DS over New 3DS, meaning that very few will actually take the opportunity to play the game. If Nintendo was hoping to expand Xenoblade's fanbase to boost sales for Xenoblade X this is not how to do it. Second, for B, it fails because Xenoblade is not a big franchise. The only people who are going to go out and buy a New 3DS just to play Xenoblade are the same people who loved the game to death on Wii and want it on the go. People who are only passively interested in it but don't want to pay $200+ to play it still aren't going to pay $200+ dollars to play it.
It's pretty clear that the game requires the N3DS's hardware, and without it we'd have to see some pretty significant cuts. Not entirely sure what Nintendo's logic was, but it's a quick and dirty port, probably to have an exclusive for the sake of it.

If it's any consolation, you can buy the game (now or later, copies are likely to be plentiful) and wait for the next Nintendo handheld.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It's pretty clear that the game requires the N3DS's hardware, and without it we'd have to see some pretty significant cuts. Not entirely sure what Nintendo's logic was, but it's a quick and dirty port, probably to have an exclusive for the sake of it.

If it's any consolation, you can buy the game (now or later, copies are likely to be plentiful) and wait for the next Nintendo handheld.
True, when a new console is coming out from the same company, or after 6 months or so, prices start to drop for older consoles

Tali vas Normandy

Smash Apprentice
-Buying a 3DS an month before they showed the new 3DS got me pretty damn salty

-How they don't even attempt to slowly restock on sold out Amiibos.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The utter lack of information on any new Metroid projects ever since Other M. You'd think they'd want to try and compensate for all the flak it got quickly, but no.

It's been over four years and they can't even show us a small sample?

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The utter lack of information on any new Metroid projects ever since Other M. You'd think they'd want to try and compensate for all the flak it got quickly, but no.

It's been over four years and they can't even show us a small sample?
Metroid has also never sold terribly well in Japan, though; so it's a matter of sales figures. It sells well in America, but it's pretty bad in Japanese sales.

And keep in mind, I'm pretty sure Other M was the most sucessful 3D Metroid in Japan. :p

finalark

SNORLAX
And keep in mind, I'm pretty sure Other M was the most sucessful 3D Metroid in Japan. :p
Not including games I couldn't find specific data on, here's the Japanese sales of each game from worst to best:

Hunters: 32000
Prime 3: 34000
Prime 2: 40335
Other M: 56637
Zero Mission: 69000
Prime: 78000
Fusion: 155000

So yeah, Prime beats it out but Other M is in second place. That being said, even though Metroid is little more than a cult classic in the east, its small but enthusiastic fan base seems to agree with western fans on Other M. Ironically, Other M was made to appeal to Japanese fans (notice how connected it is with Fusion, the best selling game in the east) but for all intents and purposes, it backfired.

Monk of MaZe

Smash Cadet
This isn't really something I'd say upsets me but it is a complaint.
I'd like it if Nintendo would put SNES and/or Gameboy Advance games on the 3DS virtual console. I love the NES and Gameboy as much as the next guy but there are a lot of great games on the SNES and GBA. Not only that but some of the series that started on GB were continued on GBA (like the Wario Land games) and probably the same for NES and SNES but I'm not 100% on that.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
This isn't really something I'd say upsets me but it is a complaint.
I'd like it if Nintendo would put SNES and/or Gameboy Advance games on the 3DS virtual console. I love the NES and Gameboy as much as the next guy but there are a lot of great games on the SNES and GBA. Not only that but some of the series that started on GB were continued on GBA (like the Wario Land games) and probably the same for NES and SNES but I'm not 100% on that.
It's possible. I'm in the Ambassador Program (got the 3DS midnight release, so that was before the price drop), so I know that the GBA games play well on the 3DS and the 3DS hardware is fully capable of emulating GBA games. They just haven't released any of them for public sale yet... Even after numerous years post the start of the Ambassador Program...

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It's possible. I'm in the Ambassador Program (got the 3DS midnight release, so that was before the price drop), so I know that the GBA games play well on the 3DS and the 3DS hardware is fully capable of emulating GBA games. They just haven't released any of them for public sale yet... Even after numerous years post the start of the Ambassador Program...
Oh, it's possible all right. There is a working SNES emulator for the 3DS, and it seems to work almost perfectly fine for the few games I've tried it with. The only glitches I noticed are in the sound, which is more of a problem with Ninjhax than with the 3DS. I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't release SNES games on 3DS, it's not like they have any excuse.

Monk of MaZe

Smash Cadet
Oh, it's possible all right. There is a working SNES emulator for the 3DS, and it seems to work almost perfectly fine for the few games I've tried it with. The only glitches I noticed are in the sound, which is more of a problem with Ninjhax than with the 3DS. I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't release SNES games on 3DS, it's not like they have any excuse.
Don't worry guys I cracked the case of why there aren't any SNES or GBA games on the 3DS Virtual Console.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
You're right that it is possible, but there is a problem with actually playing it... You need an R4 card with an emulator program in it VIA Micro SD card.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
You're right that it is possible, but there is a problem with actually playing it... You need an R4 card with an emulator program in it VIA Micro SD card.
If you have an older firmware version (latest working is 9.2.20) and refuse to upgrade, you can use Ninjhax, an exploit made using the level editor of Cubic Ninja. Smealum, the guy who made Ninjhax, also released a region-free exploit that allows you to skip over the update partition of a 3DS game. The only downside is that you can't update any of your games without connecting to the Eshop, which won't let you connect without having the latest firmware version.

You might be able to around this by copying the game updates from the SD card of somebody who has them, but it's not something I've looked into very hard.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
If you have an older firmware version (latest working is 9.2.20) and refuse to upgrade, you can use Ninjhax, an exploit made using the level editor of Cubic Ninja. Smealum, the guy who made Ninjhax, also released a region-free exploit that allows you to skip over the update partition of a 3DS game. The only downside is that you can't update any of your games without connecting to the Eshop, which won't let you connect without having the latest firmware version.

You might be able to around this by copying the game updates from the SD card of somebody who has them, but it's not something I've looked into very hard.
I hear Cubic ninja is very rare to come across. But I don't want to go over a homebrew installation. Just the fact that you have an emulator built in for gb/gbc and NES only makes me mad.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I hear Cubic ninja is very rare to come across. But I don't want to go over a homebrew installation. Just the fact that you have an emulator built in for gb/gbc and NES only makes me mad.
Actually, Cubic Ninja was once pretty common. Ubisoft put out what was essentially a glorified tech demo near the 3DS launch, everyone thought it sucked, and it was quickly relegated to bargain bin status. Being Ubisoft, they produced a lot of copies. The only reason it's so expensive ($40 on Amazon) is that, even though it was a lot of games at the time, it pales in comparison to the number of 3DSs around today, and most everybody wants a copy.

Given that it's been patched out for awhile, you'd expect the price had dropped a bit (it was $30 when I got mine), but for some reason it hasn't.

Oh, and I think there's a GBA emulator out now.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I swear, Splatoon is overexposed to the extreme anymore. I understand it's a new IP of theirs, but can't Nintendo just tone it down some? Doesn't help that I'm not interested in the game at all and the more I see it, the more I hate the game.

If their E3 conference is nothing but Splatoon related stuff, then I'm done with them.

finalark

SNORLAX
Can you really blame them? Right now it seems like Nintendo is counting on Splatoon to carry the Wii U to the holiday season.

Honestly, I'd rather see Nintendo hype up a risky new franchise than churn out more Mario games for the Wii U. Although I'm really not that interested in Splatoon, so I can see where your frustration is coming from. Still, it is an interesting concept and I hope it turns out well for Nintendo. People always complain that Nintendo just relies on Mario, Zelda and Pokemon endlessly, but this is proof that they're willing to have faith in a new IP.

If there's no Squidgirl DLC that will be a huge missed opportunity. How else am I going to inkvade mankind?

Top Bottom