• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
Only ones I want from Wave 5 are Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, and depending on how lucky I am with it, Dark Pit. Recently I just bought a Charizard Amiibo online and I'm pretty happy about it because Pikachu's the only Pokemon I own in my Amiibo collection (can't get Lucario for obvious reasons).

I'm pretty proud of my Pit Amiibo since he's the only character I own that's from an obscure franchise and doesn't have a lot of merchandise made besides the Figma figurines.

I think it is best to import certain Amiibo's that are very hard to get in the US. That's what I'm gonna try to do with characters like the Villager, for example.
the only one i'm getting from wave 5 is the doc. if i'm too lazy to preorder him this time, assuming he's not scalped to all hell, if i see a ganondorf while picking up said doctor, i'd probably get him as well.
I've got some serious charger blues. My Wii U Gamepad, Pro Controller, and 3DS all use different chargers, my Pro Controller didn't include a charger so I've been using crappy mini-USBs I've had lying around the house, and the Pro holds a charge from anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours with no indication. Pretty infuriating when i drop a match on FG because my controller just turned off after charging all night.
maybe your controller is defective???? mine usually lasts for much longer periods of time than that.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, from hands-on accounts of the new Star Fox, there isn't enough info conveyed on either screen at one time; aiming while looking at the TV is harder than it used to be since the firing is aimable only by touchscreen and navigating is hard while trying to hit enemies while looking at the gamepad.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Dear lord, I just read the wrap-up of E3. No new F-Zero, again, the new Zelda looks like a mess, and I refuse to call that abomination Metroid. Knowing how much Nintendo has lost touch with their audience, their response probably won't be "Well, these were some really bad ideas, so lets retool it before release/can it/try better next time", they'll probably say "Well, the fans have spoken, they don't want more Metroid or Zelda".

The only thing I was remotely excited for is Xenoblade X finally getting released, but I suspect that December was chosen to boost sales, rather than that's actually when they think it will be fully translated. It was released April of this year, which meant the game was done and disks were being manufactured for a few months beforehand. I get it, JRPGs are dialogue-heavy and Xenogames are typically more complicated (thus requiring more time to check the translation for mistakes and changes of implications) than most of them, but do you really need a friggin' YEAR to get this out?

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm still pretty salty over SMT x Fire Emblem or whatever they're calling it now. I was hoping for a new trailer that would prove it wasn't soulless otaku bait that blatantly disrespects both franchises but nope.

New Metroid is not Metroid.

I'm not even a fan of Animal Crossing but I can imagine that the one for Wii U is not what fans wanted.

But hey, new Star Fox looks really, really good. And I'm actually fine with the new LoZ. I thought Four Swords was a ton of fun (if a bit on the friendship destroying side) and I'm happy to see co-op LoZ make a return.

The problem with Nintendo's conference is that they spend too much time on Mario Maker and had zero major surprises. This E3 is making me feel really wish I had picked PS4 over Wii U.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm not even a fan of Animal Crossing but I can imagine that the one for Wii U is not what fans wanted.

The problem with Nintendo's conference is that they spend too much time on Mario Maker and had zero major surprises. This E3 is making me feel really wish I had picked PS4 over Wii U.
That Animal Crossing game looks like it'll end up being really awful in the end. Not to mention you need the Amiibo in order to play it. That spells disaster for Nintendo, but they're too out of touch sadly. This is not what I expect from Animal Crossing.

I still refuse to even buy Mario Maker since like Splatoon, they would not shut up about it. I'm honestly thinking about moving to PC from now on after this. I'll still play on the 3DS since there's still the new PMD game (why haven't they mentioned this?) and the fact they're still supporting it. My Wii U will be gathering dust in the coming months.

Meh, at least Triforce Heroes is a new Toon Link game. I'm a huge nut of him anyway. :p

finalark

SNORLAX
I still refuse to even buy Mario Maker since like Splatoon, they would not shut up about it. I'm honestly thinking about moving to PC from now on after this.
Just because a game is hyped doesn't make it bad. Although I haven't played Splatoon yet due to money reasons, so I might be talking out my ass.

Also, as word of warning from someone who once tried to make the exodus from console to PC, the grass is greener and it's not as cheap as some very enthusiastic PC fans would tell you.

Tali vas Normandy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that Metroid game was by far terrible.
I have been dying for years to get another game in the series. but instead we get some awful looking spin off.
I couldn't even watch the rest of their show without feeling insulted.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Just because a game is hyped doesn't make it bad. Although I haven't played Splatoon yet due to money reasons, so I might be talking out my ***.

Also, as word of warning from someone who once tried to make the exodus from console to PC, the grass is greener and it's not as cheap as some very enthusiastic PC fans would tell you.
Well, the hardware is expensive as all hell, but the games are practically free!

EDIT: In all seriousness, modern gaming has just about gone to crap. About the only decent games left are indie, the overwhelming majority of which are either clones of a popular game, way too short, mediocre, or just simply YouTube bait. There are good ones, you have to wade through oceans of crap to find them.

After this console generation is over, I'm going to give up on new games until the coming crash trims the fat. I'll just stick to used games and emulation, with the occasional PC release that may be worth my time.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'll just move on to a new hobby then. Gaming's become a complete joke to me anymore.
Honestly, my PS2 library is 33 games. GC is 29, Wii is 42.5 (counting the original Netflix disc as .5), all of my handheld games total 48 (not including the 24-ish downloaded on my 3ds, 9 on Wii VC, and Earthbound on Wii U VC).

My PS1 and N64 libraries still have a lot of growing (I got the N64 in 2005 right before it became a "classic" and I usually got PS2 games instead of PS1 when I went to my local EB Games or GameCrazy (RIP, GameStop bought the former and killed the latter)), so my PS1 is 12 and N64 is 17, but there are still plenty of good games for me to get when (if) the price goes down. With this collection, you probably assume that I've gotten a fairly decent library for the Wii U, right?

No, I have 6, one of which I got with the console (Nintendo Land). I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the five games that I have (LOVE MHU3, Pikmin 3 was fun but not challenging, I liked SMBW better than SMBWU but I still liked it, I like Melee and Brawl over Sm4sh but it's still fun, and MK8 is a blast) and there are some others that I want to get (Splatoon once the price drops, Bayo 2 whenever my parents allow me to play M games, Hyrule Warriors, Wonderful 101, and the new Star Fox and Zelda), but that's still a library of 12 games.

That's a really small amount and unlike the PS1, I can't think of any other games I would want for the Wii U. Any of the multiplatformers all look and play better on other systems, so I can't honestly say I want the Wii U version over the PC version. I can even play it with a Duelshock controller on PC which, in my opinion, feels better than the Pro Controller. At this point, I'm not sure my decision to buy a Wii U was a good one and gaming is becoming too expensive for me now that I'm getting my first car. I can't go out and spend a bunch of money willy nilly like I used to be able to; I need to pay for gas and inspections and anything that could go wrong now.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Way back in the SNES days they screwed over Sony and backed out of a partnership to incorporate CDs into their gaming systems.

To think what could have been. The games that might have been made. They messed up big time.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Way back in the SNES days they screwed over Sony and backed out of a partnership to incorporate CDs into their gaming systems.

To think what could have been. The games that might have been made. They messed up big time.
It would have turned out just like this thing.

Nintendo made the right choice by dropping the disc-based add-on.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
It would have turned out just like this thing.

Nintendo made the right choice by dropping the disc-based add-on.
I don't think it's quite fair to compare to Sega to both Sony AND Nintendo together.

Sega on it's own has made terrible choices as a business and artistically concerning both hardware and software. Sony and Nintendo together would have been unstoppable, perhaps it's best that they split since competition is usually good (then again Nintendo went a little too far with trying so hard to be unique). In some alternate timeline where Nintendo didn't reneg on Sony....I would love to see what both of those companies together would have come up with. Pehaps we would actually have good Metroid games instead of crap like Metroid Other M and we'd have had 4-5 HD Zeldas and Marios by now.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I think that Nintendo's worst mistake of all time was not switching to a disc-based console in the fifth generation. The 64 had better loading times, but couldn't store nearly as much data on a game as the PS1. That's how Nintendo lost a lot of their best third-party developers (one of which was Squaresoft).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think that Nintendo's worst mistake of all time was not switching to a disc-based console in the fifth generation. The 64 had better loading times, but couldn't store nearly as much data on a game as the PS1. That's how Nintendo lost a lot of their best third-party developers (one of which was Squaresoft).
Nintendo lost Square's support because the president at the time banned them because FF7 wasn't coming to Nintendo systems. People bash Iwata enough, but the guy before him was ****ing terrible.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Nintendo lost Square's support because the president at the time banned them because FF7 wasn't coming to Nintendo systems. People bash Iwata enough, but the guy before him was ****ing terrible.
And FF7 wasn't coming out on the 64 because it was cartrage-based and it would cost a LOT in production costs. Also, save transfer from one cart to the other would have been a nightmare (if it doesn't make full contact while trying to transfer, you have a corrupted save on cart number 8 and are none the wiser until you reboot your console and try to load the save after the attempted transfer).

finalark

SNORLAX
EDIT: In all seriousness, modern gaming has just about gone to crap. About the only decent games left are indie, the overwhelming majority of which are either clones of a popular game, way too short, mediocre, or just simply YouTube bait. There are good ones, you have to wade through oceans of crap to find them.
I don't think I can stress this enough, games have always been like this. The majority of games are short, clones of popular games or just mediocre? Walk back in time to the mid 2000s and good luck walking into a Gamestop without tripping over a dozen God of War clones. Or how about in the early to mid 90s where every platformer tried to desperate capture a piece of the Sonic the Hedgehog pie?

The fact is, 90% of games in any given generation are garbage. In every single console cycle you'll have a handful of brilliant landmark games, several dozen games that are great but nothing that will set the world ablaze, a few hidden gems, and then seas upon seas of garbage. Go down to any used game store that carries retro titles and take note that most of their stock will be mediocre licence titles, clones of whatever was popular at the time and forgettable cash-ins. Sure, they'll have a few good ones but a vast majority of their selection will be trash.

The only reason why people act like the gaming scene was any different back then is because enough time has passed that we only remember the good games, forget the garbage, and then act like the good was all that existed.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
And FF7 wasn't coming out on the 64 because it was cartrage-based and it would cost a LOT in production costs. Also, save transfer from one cart to the other would have been a nightmare (if it doesn't make full contact while trying to transfer, you have a corrupted save on cart number 8 and are none the wiser until you reboot your console and try to load the save after the attempted transfer).
That's not the point. The dude banned Square from Nintendo systems and killed no less then three projects in a hissy-fit.

Dem Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
FlyingTiger89
I was sadly disappointed with the majority of Nintendo's e3 event. Like stated earlier, it's far from their worst but they didn't throw anything out that truly made our jaws drop. To be honest though? This whole e3 event felt like that in general, this year's e3 just felt so lackluster.

As for Nintendo though:

- Federation Force. The idea of a new Metroid Prime was enough for a conniption, then surprise! Not entirely sure what they were thinking with this. I assume Retro Studios isn't behind the wheels of this...?

- AC: Amiibo Festival. Hey. You got your Mario Party, in my Animal Crossing. I'll kill you. Seriously though, the excitement of a new AC game ruined by the appearance of board "squares" sucked. I imagine the game will cheaply priced, though. (I hope)

- Star Fox Zero. How's the Land Rooster, Fox? (Somewhere JonTron is crying)

- LoZ: Triforce Heroes. So pretty much new Four Swords? K.

- Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam. I luv me sum Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi. Something about this just felt off though, just like Star Fox. It didn't have that super appeal that an announcement trailer should convey.

At least Woolly World and Mario Maker (or whatever it's called now) still looks sweet. Also Dong in Skylanders, even though I don't play that.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I don't think I can stress this enough, games have always been like this. The majority of games are short, clones of popular games or just mediocre? Walk back in time to the mid 2000s and good luck walking into a Gamestop without tripping over a dozen God of War clones. Or how about in the early to mid 90s where every platformer tried to desperate capture a piece of the Sonic the Hedgehog pie?

The fact is, 90% of games in any given generation are garbage. In every single console cycle you'll have a handful of brilliant landmark games, several dozen games that are great but nothing that will set the world ablaze, a few hidden gems, and then seas upon seas of garbage. Go down to any used game store that carries retro titles and take note that most of their stock will be mediocre licence titles, clones of whatever was popular at the time and forgettable cash-ins. Sure, they'll have a few good ones but a vast majority of their selection will be trash.

The only reason why people act like the gaming scene was any different back then is because enough time has passed that we only remember the good games, forget the garbage, and then act like the good was all that existed.
I'm not disagreeing that 90% of everything sucks, but it gets closer to 99% (plus a decimal point and a few more 9s) when dealing with indie games. In addition, these clones showed much more creativity that most indie clones, which are almost exact copies of the games they're "inspired" by. It's not that Sturgeon's Law is a new thing, it's that it's been taken to such ridiculous degrees.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
No complaints from me about Star Fox Zero. Also got Platinum Games doing the single player campaign, so sick.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace

Yeah, how could we forget such 'classics' such as Bubsy 3D & Superman 64? There were bad games during those times, too. They're just overshadowed by the better ones. It's why so many people think the 90's & 2000's had no bad games even though they do have a lot of them.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Yeah, how could we forget such 'classics' such as Bubsy 3D & Superman 64? There were bad games during those times, too. They're just overshadowed by the better ones. It's why so many people think the 90's & 2000's had no bad games even though they do have a lot of them.
Urgh, don't get me started on the late 90s in gaming. Outside of a select few classics, practically every game in the N64's library was atrocious. I haven't delved too deeply into the PS1's library, but it didn't seem to fare much better.

If you ever want to go prospecting for hidden gems, try SNES. Practically every game on that system was decent, or at least playable, and most have aged rather gracefully. The PS2 is similar in this respect, but there are a lot more games to check out. GBA's library is mostly alright too (okay most of it is painfully average, looking back, but there weren't too many bad games), but a lot of GBA games are too similar to each other, especially the platformers and RPGs.

Last edited:

Wyzill

Smash Cadet
That mother 3 wasn't released in Europe.
That Lucas wasn't a original character (He's now DLC) in SSB4.
That kirby's games were platformers.
That SSB has a meaning.
Super Mario Bros.
More than 3 fire emblem characters in smash.
LoZ is Racist.
Zero Suit Samus was her own character.
The miiverse stage.
That they still haven't added Prof.Layton in Smash.
That Birdo is just. Just no.
Bowser goes gokarting.
Pink-Gold peach in Mk8.
Lucas not allowed in Evo 2015.
Ninten not in Smash.
Isaac not in Smash.
Captain Toad not in smash.
Splatoon only having turf wars online.
Working with Sega.
The "new 3ds"
No story mode in Smash wii u.
Thats about it. Not much, right.

カワシさん

No complaints from me about Star Fox Zero. Also got Platinum Games doing the single player campaign, so sick.
Same here. I've never played Star Fox but it's nice that they're bringing back a neglected series.

Onto what makes me upset: I am disappointed that the 3DS is region-locked. I'm learning Japanese and I was hoping to get Japanese games to improve my language skills. *sniff* Nintendo WHY..? Also, the fact that they abandoned some of their series.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
- Federation Force. The idea of a new Metroid Prime was enough for a conniption, then surprise! Not entirely sure what they were thinking with this. I assume Retro Studios isn't behind the wheels of this...?
Nope, Next Level Games is. I assume this is because Retro's either working on a new DKCR or has something surprising in the pipes for later.

finalark

SNORLAX
Urgh, don't get me started on the late 90s in gaming. Outside of a select few classics, practically every game in the N64's library was atrocious. I haven't delved too deeply into the PS1's library, but it didn't seem to fare much better.
Nearly everything from the N64/PS1/SAT era has not aged well because 3D was new and nobody really knew how to make a good game with it. Shame really, because a lot of those games were awesome back then. Not so much now.

If you ever want to go prospecting for hidden gems, try SNES. Practically every game on that system was decent, or at least playable, and most have aged rather gracefully. The PS2 is similar in this respect, but there are a lot more games to check out. GBA's library is mostly alright too (okay most of it is painfully average, looking back, but there weren't too many bad games), but a lot of GBA games are too similar to each other, especially the platformers and RPGs.
The reason why GBA platformers and RPGs are so similar to each other is because a vast majority of them are ports of SNES platformers and RPGs.

Which were already really similar to each other to begin with.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare to Sega to both Sony AND Nintendo together.

Sega on it's own has made terrible choices as a business and artistically concerning both hardware and software. Sony and Nintendo together would have been unstoppable, perhaps it's best that they split since competition is usually good (then again Nintendo went a little too far with trying so hard to be unique). In some alternate timeline where Nintendo didn't reneg on Sony....I would love to see what both of those companies together would have come up with. Pehaps we would actually have good Metroid games instead of crap like Metroid Other M and we'd have had 4-5 HD Zeldas and Marios by now.
SEGA made bad choices, no debate there. But one of those bad choices was a disc-based add-on, which still would have been an over priced piece of junk with only a handful of games even if Sony and Nintendo pioneered it. The thing you're forgetting is that the Sony of the early 90s was not the Sony of today. They didn't have a ton of good devs under the their belt, hell, they had no devs under their belt. They weren't even all that interested in video games, they only agreed to work on the SNES add-on because Nintendo approached them. Sony had almost no interest in video games back then and were only spurred into the industry by spite.

If Nintendo and Sony had gone through with their plan what would have most likely happened was that after the SNES CD add-on crashed and burned Sony would shrug and say "Yeah, looks like getting into video games was a bad idea after all" and would return to making TVs and radios.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
No new Panel de Pon game for Wii U/3DS is what upsets me the DAMN MOST. Sorry for swearing...

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Nintendo did not do much to prevent Rare's buy out.

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
1. How overexposed and bloated the Mario franchise has become
2. The entire name/marketing plan for the Wii U
3. How they sit on so many franchises and do either nothing or very little with them (F-Zero, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Kid Icarus, Metroid to an extent, etc.)
3.5?. How they have popular characters that they've barely utilized
4. How underwhelming this e3 was
5. The whole amiibo situation
6. The retro rehashes (NSMB series especially)
7. How the GameCube controller adapter distribution was handled

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
1. How overexposed and bloated the Mario franchise has become
2. The entire name/marketing plan for the Wii U
3. How they sit on so many franchises and do either nothing or very little with them (F-Zero, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Kid Icarus, Metroid to an extent, etc.)
3.5?. How they have popular characters that they've barely utilized
4. How underwhelming this e3 was
5. The whole amiibo situation
6. The retro rehashes (NSMB series especially)
7. How the GameCube controller adapter distribution was handled

Golden Sun's actually owned by Camelot Software Planning, a division of Sega. The reason we don't have a Golden Sun 4 yet is because of poor sales of Dark Dawn, and the way Dark Dawn left off, the only way to continue the story would be a direct sequel (that, or retcon it entirely). There's a very good reason Dark Dawn sold poorly.

I still want to see more of Golden Sun, but DD was pretty much a franchise killer. Our best hope is for Isaac to Smash the ballot.

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
Golden Sun's actually owned by Camelot Software Planning, a division of Sega. The reason we don't have a Golden Sun 4 yet is because of poor sales of Dark Dawn, and the way Dark Dawn left off, the only way to continue the story would be a direct sequel (that, or retcon it entirely). There's a very good reason Dark Dawn sold poorly.

I still want to see more of Golden Sun, but DD was pretty much a franchise killer. Our best hope is for Isaac to Smash the ballot.
Camelot's a division of Sega?

So is it like a Pokémon-type situation where Game Freak owns Pokémon but GF is a subsidiary of Nintendo(in this case Camelot owns Golden sun but is a subsidiary of Sega)?

And yeah, let's hope Isaac gets in to kickstart the franchise.

Top Bottom