• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

finalark

SNORLAX
Camelot hasn't been a division of SEGA since the late 90s when Nintendo bought them off SEGA.

It's like when Nintendo sold Rare to MS.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
1. How overexposed and bloated the Mario franchise has become
3. How they sit on so many franchises and do either nothing or very little with them (F-Zero, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Kid Icarus, Metroid to an extent, etc.)
4. How underwhelming this e3 was
5. The whole amiibo situation
1. I wish Nintendo would just give Mario a rest and give some of their other franchises more attention. Mario shouldn't be the only franchise Nintendo focuses on, but sadly, it's the only series that still prints a lot of money for them.

3. To be fair with Earthbound, the creator wanted the franchise to be a trilogy, but I still think they need to do more with it. Same goes for other franchises that only have a few entries.

4. Nintendo's E3 this year was the point that I don't think I'll be supporting them any longer. They're treating their non-Mario franchises like dirt anymore.

5. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten any better yet. I hope it will next month since Wave 5's right around the corner.

finalark

SNORLAX
Mario shouldn't be the only franchise Nintendo focuses on, but sadly, it's the only series that still prints a lot of money for them.
You're forgetting about Zelda and Pokemon. The former moves consoles while the latter has been getting a yearly release since 2008. Although it looks like they're finally calming down on that.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
You're forgetting about Zelda and Pokemon. The former moves consoles while the latter has been getting a yearly release since 2008. Although it looks like they're finally calming down on that.
Well, Nintendo still seems to have something approximating standards when it comes to Zelda. If it's going to keep up this pattern of slowly sinking into the mudpits of mediocrity, they need a few years to make something halfway playable.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
About the Mario games... Do you really want people who make 2D platformers for a living to switch over to F-Zero? Or the Mario Party team to make Metroid? You have the geniuses like Sakurai and Miamoto who can make something in pretty much any genre... But that's only when it's a game they want to make. Would shoehorning Monolith onto F-Zero U make a good game? Heck, the whole reason we never got the GS:DD sequel is because Camelot was freaking sick of it and needed to go back to smaller scale games because their team is so shrimpy.

Twewy

Smash Lord
About the Mario games... Do you really want people who make 2D platformers for a living to switch over to F-Zero? Or the Mario Party team to make Metroid? You have the geniuses like Sakurai and Miamoto who can make something in pretty much any genre... But that's only when it's a game they want to make. Would shoehorning Monolith onto F-Zero U make a good game? Heck, the whole reason we never got the GS:DD sequel is because Camelot was freaking sick of it and needed to go back to smaller scale games because their team is so shrimpy.
Little do you know that the people who made 2D platformers for a living did in fact make F-Zero. EAD made both F-Zero and 2D Mario up until the Brain Age team started the New Super Mario Bros. series.

Miyamoto and Sakurai do not make their games by themselves, either, and these days Miyamoto is basically just a supervisor for Nintendo's other games. Miyamoto also rarely actually designs games these days, not counting Star Fox Zero his last job as the fantastic Miyamoto that makes every Nintendo game ever that we all know and love was Steel Diver. At this point his job is to walk into the newest Nintendo project, look at it, throw a table or two, and then say "This is fine" and walk over to the next, thinking of the angle his next table will land.

Sakurai doesn't even work at Nintendo anymore, he's been freelance since he left HAL and formed Sora or Game Arts or whatever the hell he calls his group. It's funny you mention Sakurai and Camelot being tired of Golden Sun though, since he has even admitted he's tired of making Smash. He wasn't even told beforehand that Smash U/3DS would be announced.

I'll admit I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable about game development, but let's get to your neat idea of Monolith making F-Zero, and also revisiting your "Team known for making certain genre" argument. You should know game development isn't as simple as "****, we made an RPG. We can only make RPGs now.", which you should since you mentioned Camelot who is half RPGs half Mario Sports. "Shoehorning" F-Zero to Monolith would be a good game if the product produced is good by the team, what else they developed be damned. Teams aren't just limited to one or two genres, if you think that Star Fox Zero's going to blow your damned mind what with Platinum developing it.

TL;DR: Miyamoto hates tables and hasn't directed a game since Mario Paint Artist Studio, Sakurai isn't Nintendo, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think it was the Unpopular Opinions thread where I listed everything Nintendo did to tick me off. It was like the New Tetris rant but with less hatred of everything under the sun. Though I guess I should go ahead and say Last Window not being released in the US, that made me a bit annoyed.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ Twewy Twewy Who's talking about Monolith making F-Zero? Almost everything they've ever done is RPGs. They've done the graphics for a few games, like Skyward Sword, but when did they make a game that's not an RPG?

Twewy

Smash Lord
@ Twewy Twewy Who's talking about Monolith making F-Zero?
Would shoehorning Monolith onto F-Zero U make a good game?
He didn't say it was actually happening (damn shame), he was just giving an example for his argument.

but when did they make a game that's not an RPG?
Disaster Day of Crisis and Dirge of Cerebus FFVII come to mind. But I hope you're not missing my point that the team that makes the game doesn't matter, it's how it turns out. Dead Rising 2 was made by a team that had previously only made baseball games (Blue Castle Games, now Capcom Vancouver), and it turned out pretty good.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Little do you know that the people who made 2D platformers for a living did in fact make F-Zero. EAD made both F-Zero and 2D Mario up until the Brain Age team started the New Super Mario Bros. series.

Miyamoto and Sakurai do not make their games by themselves, either, and these days Miyamoto is basically just a supervisor for Nintendo's other games. Miyamoto also rarely actually designs games these days, not counting Star Fox Zero his last job as the fantastic Miyamoto that makes every Nintendo game ever that we all know and love was Steel Diver. At this point his job is to walk into the newest Nintendo project, look at it, throw a table or two, and then say "This is fine" and walk over to the next, thinking of the angle his next table will land.

Sakurai doesn't even work at Nintendo anymore, he's been freelance since he left HAL and formed Sora or Game Arts or whatever the hell he calls his group. It's funny you mention Sakurai and Camelot being tired of Golden Sun though, since he has even admitted he's tired of making Smash. He wasn't even told beforehand that Smash U/3DS would be announced.

I'll admit I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable about game development, but let's get to your neat idea of Monolith making F-Zero, and also revisiting your "Team known for making certain genre" argument. You should know game development isn't as simple as "****, we made an RPG. We can only make RPGs now.", which you should since you mentioned Camelot who is half RPGs half Mario Sports. "Shoehorning" F-Zero to Monolith would be a good game if the product produced is good by the team, what else they developed be damned. Teams aren't just limited to one or two genres, if you think that Star Fox Zero's going to blow your damned mind what with Platinum developing it.

TL;DR: Miyamoto hates tables and hasn't directed a game since Mario Paint Artist Studio, Sakurai isn't Nintendo, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think it was the Unpopular Opinions thread where I listed everything Nintendo did to tick me off. It was like the New Tetris rant but with less hatred of everything under the sun. Though I guess I should go ahead and say Last Window not being released in the US, that made me a bit annoyed.

The NSMB team isn't the same EAD as back then... It's actually more-or-less the Mario apprentice group.

I won't deny that Miamoto does more upending tea-tables, but he's also come up with some great ideas. Metroid Prime was originally cartoony and featured a third-person view, but he came in and told them to make it realistic and first-person. Other times, not so much... But it's largely good.

Sakurai is tired of making Smash... But not to the point where he wants somebody else to do it. He only went freelance so he didn't need to work on Kirby any more, and all but one game he's made since were Nintendo games.

Camelot basically gave up on GS because they just don't care anymore, not because Nintendo said so.

Games made out of greed almost never turn out well... If Monolith were forced onto F-Zero it'd be trash. That's my point.

finalark

SNORLAX
Disaster Day of Crisis and Dirge of Cerebus FFVII come to mind. But I hope you're not missing my point that the team that makes the game doesn't matter, it's how it turns out. Dead Rising 2 was made by a team that had previously only made baseball games (Blue Castle Games, now Capcom Vancouver), and it turned out pretty good.
The Dead Rising games are pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, Disaster and DoC aren't.

I see what you mean that studios are capable of making more than just one kind of game, but that's kind of a rarity. Truth is, it's rare that you get a renascence man. Most artists can only paint one kind of painting really well, most writers can only write one kind story really well and most game devs can only make one kind of game really well.

There's a chance that a new F-Zero made by Monolith could be good, but I'd rather Nintendo gives the project to someone who specializes in racing games.

Twewy

Smash Lord
The NSMB team isn't the same EAD as back then... It's actually more-or-less the Mario apprentice group.
NSMB isn't touched by EAD at all, it's a completely different dev team. Which was my point regarding that.

Metroid Prime was originally cartoony and featured a third-person view, but he came in and told them to make it realistic and first-person. Other times, not so much... But it's largely good.
Metroid Prime was never developed as cartoony, hell Retro Studios was formed due to Nintendo wanting more "mature" games for the up and coming Gamecube. It was third person at first, I'll give you that.

Sakurai is tired of making Smash... But not to the point where he wants somebody else to do it.
IIRC he did say he doesn't mind someone else making a Smash (if someone can find the source on that, I'd appreciate it). With that tendinitis I can not blame him one bit.

Camelot basically gave up on GS because they just don't care anymore, not because Nintendo said so.
I don't recall me saying Nintendo was forcing Golden Sun. You do know by "half RPGs" I meant almost the entire Shining Force series, right? Companies don't always force sequels, and even though Nintendo did ask Camelot to make a third GS, they had been wanting to make one since Lost Age came out. What brought this up when my point was teams can make more than one game?

Games made out of greed almost never turn out well... If Monolith were forced onto F-Zero it'd be trash. That's my point.
Because F-Zero is a big hitting franchise that rakes in the dosh. If Nintendo were to make an F-Zero, at this point it'd be either because Miyamoto finally figured out the control scheme he wants to use or Nintendo caved in to the vocal F-Zero fanbase. If Monolith were "forced" to make F-Zero, it wouldn't matter if the product released was good, because they did their job good. Your point is based solely on your fears of Monolith messing up a game you want. Monolith never made a racing game, so you're scared they'll mess it up. It's understandable, but I doubt Monolith would mess it up that badly, and would probably have assistance from EAD or another development team. GX was made by Amusement Visions/SEGA and EAD.

I know this is like the anti-point of this thread or something, but you shouldn't worry about Nintendo teams developing games outside of their usual genres. Next Level Games has done puzzle, adventure, and sports all decently and Federation Force, despite not being the Metroid we've been craving since Other M left THE BABY taste in our mouths, it still looks to be a decent cooperative shooter on its own.

The Dead Rising games are pretty awesome.
Damn right, my man. DR1 is too fun not to run every once or twice every year, and OTR is a great time killer.

Oh, right. This is the "How did Nintendo urinate in your preferred breakfast cereal" thread.

Unfortunately, Disaster and DoC aren't.
Nintendo of America is too picky with what does and doesn't get here. I wouldn't know if Disaster is awesome or not because we never got it. We almost didn't know how good Xenoblade is (Unless you would consider doing things that conflict with a lot of people's morals on here) because NoA thought it and the other Rainfall games wouldn't be well received over here. Did you Americans know Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk got sequels? Did you guys know Tingle had three games (This one's more understandable, Americans Hate Tingle)? No?

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Animal Crossing: The Board Game that would have sold much better as an actual board game since nothing it does is strictly tied to a video game in the same way that Mario Party's minigames or board traps are.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing: The Board Game that would have sold much better as an actual board game since nothing it does is strictly tied to a video game in the same way that Mario Party's minigames or board traps are.
But valued customer, how would we convince you to buy these cool little Amiibo?! Don't you know they can be used in video games?! What better way to show it than a F2P board game game where you can buy the pieces for $13 each?!

Twewy

Smash Lord
Surely you wouldn't betray your loved company by not buying your preferred Amiibo straight from a local retailer?! We have as much stock as you need, valued customer!

カワシさん

Thank you but I already have Mario. I do not need sixty Mario amiibo, thank you
Sir, we'll DOUBLE the amount! This is a limited time offer! 120 Amiibo for the price of 60! You'll be the envy of all your friends!

On subject:
Why are they discontining some of the Amiibo? It really makes no sense.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Sir, we'll DOUBLE the amount! This is a limited time offer! 120 Amiibo for the price of 60! You'll be the envy of all your friends!

On subject:
Why are they discontining some of the Amiibo? It really makes no sense.
Because NoA really, really hates Fire Emblem.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Unsuccessful all around, actually. The series was going to be cancelled if Awakening didn't bring in the big bucks.

Which it did, apparently.

finalark

SNORLAX
Unsuccessful all around, actually. The series was going to be cancelled if Awakening didn't bring in the big bucks.

Which it did, apparently.
FE was pretty popular in the US when the GBA games hit western shores, but once the hype wore off it went back to being relatively niche.

Say what you will about Awakening, but thank god it sold nearly two million copies and revitalized the franchise.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
At the cost of making the hardcore classic fans yell cries of RUINED FOREVER FILTHY CASUALS, it did save the series.

Now look at Fates, it's practically Federation Force's little brother in terms of all the derision it's getting.

Except that it's still getting less of that derision.

カワシさん

In general, the only reason they hate it is because it was disgustingly unsuccessful before Awakening.
Tbh, I'm not surprised. Heck, I never heard of the Fire Emblem game for the Wii, and the games seemed to follow a similiar pattern. They were still nice, however.

Because they aren't from the Mario franchise.
I know this was a joke, but this brings up a point. Nintendo really doesn't pay much attention to series other than Mario, Smash, Zelda, and maybe Pokemon. This also gets on my nerves.

At the cost of making the hardcore classic fans yell cries of RUINED FOREVER FILTHY CASUALS, it did save the series.

Now look at Fates, it's practically Federation Force's little brother in terms of all the derision it's getting.

Except that it's still getting less of that derision.
I don't get it, why so much hate on Fates? I'm really excited for it regardless of some of the hate and criticism it's getting.

Concerning FF, I really don't care about it, since I've never played a Metroid game.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I don't get it, why so much hate on Fates? I'm really excited for it regardless of some of the hate and criticism it's getting.

Concerning FF, I really don't care about it, since I've never played a Metroid game.
Some people are hating Fates since it's following Awakening's steps with marriage and children, and additions such as the additional fanservice, FE-Amie(as it's called for similarities to XY's Pokemon Amie), removal of weapon durability and Phoenix Mode are becoming big turn-offs for some. Then, of course, there's the version split, all of these things that are tearing the fanbase in half. People like me don't care and are getting the game on it's own merits anyway.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I know this was a joke, but this brings up a point. Nintendo really doesn't pay much attention to series other than Mario, Smash, Zelda, and maybe Pokemon. This also gets on my nerves.
MAYBE Pokemon? No offense but Mario and Pokemon take priority over their over franchises.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
That series has been shafted from Nintendo recently, too. Why do you think they're being quiet about Zelda U while revealing two Zelda spin-offs during E3? At least Mario, Pokemon, and Smash don't get this treatment.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Speaking of Zelda, I think it's been mishandled a bit recently. I mentioned somewhere (maybe another thread) that I felt like Zelda has been going downhill for a few years now, but this complaint is more lore-related. While we did eventually get a really good Zelda in ALBW, almost every Zelda game since Four Swords on GBA (TP if you consider Four Swords to be separate from the main timeline) has done something to confuse the lore a bit. It wasn't so bad when it started, but at this point making any sense of why the Twili are only seen or heard from once or why the nobody from later in the timeline remembers the goddess Hylia will only bring up more questions than it answers. For the lore to make any semblance of sense again, and as much as I think reboots are overdone, I think Zelda needs a reboot. Go ahead and declare Ocarina as the only canon game in the new timeline, and start paying attention to lore again.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is gonna happen. Shigeru Miyamoto has a noted dislike of stories in gaming. He seems to think that a game having a good story will remove younger people as potential players. Eiji Aonuma isn't much better, as he seems to think that using gimmicks is a good thing. Granted, that quote might have been translated better if it was phrased another way, but basically what he's saying is that puzzles are best solved by hitting a switch with an item, instead of an actual puzzle that you have to think about. Basically, the two people in charge of Zelda are two of the reasons the last few entries have been a bit lacking.

カワシさん

Some people are hating Fates since it's following Awakening's steps with marriage and children, and additions such as the additional fanservice, FE-Amie(as it's called for similarities to XY's Pokemon Amie), removal of weapon durability and Phoenix Mode are becoming big turn-offs for some. Then, of course, there's the version split, all of these things that are tearing the fanbase in half. People like me don't care and are getting the game on it's own merits anyway.
I can see that, especially for the fans of the older games. Still seems nice regardless. The only thing I'm upset about is how FE is a bit lewd, but then again those translations might not even be correct.

Speaking of Zelda, I think it's been mishandled a bit recently. I mentioned somewhere (maybe another thread) that I felt like Zelda has been going downhill for a few years now, but this complaint is more lore-related. While we did eventually get a really good Zelda in ALBW, almost every Zelda game since Four Swords on GBA (TP if you consider Four Swords to be separate from the main timeline) has done something to confuse the lore a bit. It wasn't so bad when it started, but at this point making any sense of why the Twili are only seen or heard from once or why the nobody from later in the timeline remembers the goddess Hylia will only bring up more questions than it answers. For the lore to make any semblance of sense again, and as much as I think reboots are overdone, I think Zelda needs a reboot. Go ahead and declare Ocarina as the only canon game in the new timeline, and start paying attention to lore again.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is gonna happen. Shigeru Miyamoto has a noted dislike of stories in gaming. He seems to think that a game having a good story will remove younger people as potential players. Eiji Aonuma isn't much better, as he seems to think that using gimmicks is a good thing. Granted, that quote might have been translated better if it was phrased another way, but basically what he's saying is that puzzles are best solved by hitting a switch with an item, instead of an actual puzzle that you have to think about. Basically, the two people in charge of Zelda are two of the reasons the last few entries have been a bit lacking.
Nintendo tends to make its games have timelines that make no sense or aren't exist.

MAYBE Pokemon? No offense but Mario and Pokemon take priority over their over franchises.
Sadly. Pretty much the only other game getting attention is Splatoon, but that was only to promote it, and the hype is dying down.

That series has been shafted from Nintendo recently, too. Why do you think they're being quiet about Zelda U while revealing two Zelda spin-offs during E3? At least Mario, Pokemon, and Smash don't get this treatment.
I hear Zelda U is going on its own course in terms of gameplay, as you get to choose your own path. They might be hoping to get more info out in the next E3.

Another thing I'd to add is that I'm upset with how Nintendo is jumping the gun with the whole NX thing. At least give the Wii U a few more years..

Minato

穏やかじゃない

It's why I wish Koizumi got a chance to work on Zelda again. Even when he wasn't allowed to put story in, he'd put them in booklets and such. LTTP's beginning (and JP booklet iirc) and the more touching moments of Link's Awakening. You can see him wanting to add stuff like that. It wasn't until Ocarina where the created lore got a spotlight. He then went on to make the stories for Clocktown and then some stuff in Wind Waker. Ever since that game, he got moved to the Mario games. You can tell that every Zelda post Wind Waker, they've been expanding the lore in strange ways and it feels a little bit off.

Not that Koizumi is perfect, his need for story is what I disliked most in Mario Sunshine. But the short story he did for Rosalina in Galaxy? Handled great.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It's why I wish Koizumi got a chance to work on Zelda again. Even when he wasn't allowed to put story in, he'd put them in booklets and such. LTTP's beginning (and JP booklet iirc) and the more touching moments of Link's Awakening. You can see him wanting to add stuff like that. It wasn't until Ocarina where the created lore got a spotlight. He then went on to make the stories for Clocktown and then some stuff in Wind Waker. Ever since that game, he got moved to the Mario games. You can tell that every Zelda post Wind Waker, they've been expanding the lore in strange ways and it feels a little bit off.

Not that Koizumi is perfect, his need for story is what I disliked most in Mario Sunshine. But the short story he did for Rosalina in Galaxy? Handled great.
That explains so much. I always felt that the last great story in the Zelda series was Wind Waker, and most everything since has either been an Ocarina retread or just "meh".

DarkMatterGaming

Smash Rookie
To be entirely honest - and it hurts since I'm a huge Pokemon nerd - I've got to scrutinize Gen 6 as one of the weakest generations, and overall how they're throwing the Pokemon name all over right now. ORAS was good, but XY were absolutely terrible - where did the writing team for Black and White go? - and the F2P games that are out right now aren't exactly polished. It feels really greedy.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
To be entirely honest - and it hurts since I'm a huge Pokemon nerd - I've got to scrutinize Gen 6 as one of the weakest generations, and overall how they're throwing the Pokemon name all over right now. ORAS was good, but XY were absolutely terrible - where did the writing team for Black and White go? - and the F2P games that are out right now aren't exactly polished. It feels really greedy.
http://smashboards.com/threads/criticisms-of-gen-vi.401230/

finalark

SNORLAX
I really, really wish Nintendo would patch in GCN support into other Wii U games. I feel like Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, actually, most WIi U games, could really benefit from ti.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
I don't blame them, the first game did released only in Japan, so NoA was shunned out. Just kidding.
If the first game were released in America, I genuinely think it would have sold unimaginably poorly. I mean, from what I can tell, its closest relative from the same time, Shining Force, didn't do too well outside of Japan.

Top Bottom