• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What existing series do you think need more reps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
It's probably just personal bias. Ignore it I guess.
Fair enough, sorry if I sounded disrespectful of your opinion there.

I never meant to imply four in Starfox. Just because I'd add a newcomer doesn't mean I'd keep the current reps. From what I've played of Kirby games though, only Kirby and maybe MetaKnight at a push seem to have any real significance in them.
Krystal was part of my roster for a long time where she replaced Wolf. I think she's the only only Star Fox character who could bring anything new to the series moveset wise, on the other hand in terms of significance in to the series there's nothing that makes her more deserving to be in Smash than Wolf, Peppy or Slippy. I'm now of the opinion that Star Fox should be cut back to two characters due to the size and relevancy of the series meaning that's about as many as it deserves, and for the sake of freeing up a space for a character more deserving who'd bring more to the roster. Still, if Star Fox maintains its two reps then I'd love to see Krystal replace Wolf.

Kirby I couldn't disagree with more, King Dedede has appeared in every Kirby game and has played a substantial role the majority of them despite suffering from modern Eggman syndrome where quite often someone else ends up being the true villain of the game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Fair enough, sorry if I sounded disrespectful of your opinion there.
It's ok.

Krystal was part of my roster for a long time where she replaced Wolf. I think she's the only only Star Fox character who could bring anything new to the series moveset wise, on the other hand in terms of significance in to the series there's nothing that makes her more deserving to be in Smash than Wolf, Peppy or Slippy...
My second choice after Krystal would be Leon, who would do a variety of things the other Starfox reps don't. Sadly, they'd all be ripped from Mewtwo :(. I don't really care who Starfox gets, I just feel it needs a second moveset.

Kirby I couldn't disagree with more, King Dedede has appeared in every Kirby game and has played a substantial role the majority of them despite suffering from modern Eggman syndrome where quite often someone else ends up being the true villain of the game.
All I've seen him do is fight me once, then tag along uselessly and with no explanation but I guess I've just missed out on the games where he's actually important. I guess the guy has to stay, no matter how awful an opponent he is.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Let's not forget King Dedede is voiced by sakurai and kirby didn't get a new character until brawl despite it being sakurai's own series as well as it being a flagship nintendo title and the amount of titles kirby has.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I meant until brawl. People who use the argument that Palutena is definitely in because sakurai likes to push his own games seem to forget he doesn't like over representing the series he makes.
This is true. And Kid Icarus ins't too big of a franchise. But I would love if Palutena was playable in the next Smash.

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
Not many. The roster proportion was pretty good in Brawl.

• Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are the three biggest Nintendo franchises, and as such are the only series with four slots each. That's perfect considering their significance.
  • Yoshi, Wario, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Gyromite, Game & Watch, Ice Climber and Pikmin are all perfectly well-represented with just their main character or mascot. Not much merit for an additional rep for any of those series.
  • Kirby is an important and very large series, but not as important or as large as any of the big three. I think three reps is an ideal number.
  • Mother, considering its size alone, should really have one rep - but since the games are all rather radically different in terms of the casts of characters, one rep alone wouldn't be enough to represent the series. Ness by himself would represent EarthBound and nothing more.
  • Donkey Kong might be able to get away with a third character, it's really about who. I don't think Dixie Kong would be a particularly worthwhile addition.
  • Fire Emblem could certainly use a third slot. With thirteen games and such a wide cast of characters, I could see it happening. Especially considering that it got two slots in Melee, before it even had a foothold in the Western market.
  • Star Fox has too many. The series only has about five games, and the characters aren't particularly unique or interesting fighters. This is the only series I think needs to be scaled back.
  • Metal Gear and Sonic should obviously stay at one, as guest inclusions.

U r right about many things exept Metroid, I think this great serie needs another character; I prefer K K Rool over Dixie; you are right about Star Fox characters they have similar moves but the importance of this serie is enough for the three characters reps; and Sonic's exclusive games for nintendo is a strong reaso for his return

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just wanted to say that I'm one of the few people who thinks that Mario could do with up to six reps since Pokemon has that in development time, it would buff the roster, and would allow both Bowser Jr. and Toad to make it in...and I'm not against having Pokemon Trainer cut, personally, if it allows Toad and Bowser Jr.

Speculator

Smash Ace
U r right about many things exept Metroid, I think this great serie needs another character; I prefer K K Rool over Dixie; you are right about Star Fox characters they have similar moves but the importance of this serie is enough for the three characters reps; and Sonic's exclusive games for nintendo is a strong reaso for his return
Metroid might be great but it's really a series about Samus. I think that's one of the main reasons our "second rep" for Metroid was just Samus in another form. The cast of characters is very limiting when it comes to additional Metroid reps, because almost all of them either only make a single game appearance or there's an apparent difficulty in making them work.

Just wanted to say that I'm one of the few people who thinks that Mario could do with up to six reps since Pokemon has that in development time, it would buff the roster, and would allow both Bowser Jr. and Toad to make it in...and I'm not against having Pokemon Trainer cut, personally, if it allows Toad and Bowser Jr.
Mario at six would be a massive roster imbalance. The game has a finite development period and adding more characters to what is already one of the best-represented series in SSB would be a huge waste of resources.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Mario at six would be a massive roster imbalance. The game has a finite development period and adding more characters to what is already one of the best-represented series in SSB would be a huge waste of resources.
I disagree. If you were to cut Pokemon Trainer (because he's actually three characters), then it'd actually be ideal, seeing as Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise is Mario, and the series has several more characters that could do with being added.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think the Mario series should get new characters just because it's big.

Try thinking in terms of what characters would add overall, like say Bowser Jr using his paintbrush to leave traps to make up for his small size.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think the Mario series should get new characters just because it's big.

Try thinking in terms of what characters would add overall, like say Bowser Jr using his paintbrush to leave traps to make up for his small size.
Bowser Jr. would either use his paintbrush or simply be a fast, smaller, luigified bowser clone (to save development time). Toad is honestly more deserving of a spot by iconicness, though. I would prioritize Toad and put Bowser Jr. lower down on the list of importance (as a clone, possibly). The fact of the matter is that Pokemon had six character spots before, and it didn't seem that saturated simply because the roster spots look different from the actual amount of characters in-game. If Pokemon is commonly seen as being worthy of six or even seven characters, Mario is at least worthy of one, if not two characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Mario at 6 reps would be a huge imbalance, really. While I agree that other, smaller series should be given priority at the moment as they don't even have one rep, Mario should get both Toad and Bowser Jr. in due course.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think Mario at 6 reps would be a huge imbalance, really. While I agree that other, smaller series should be given priority at the moment as they don't even have one rep, Mario should get both Toad and Bowser Jr. in due course.
I agree. In no way should both Mario newcomers be prioritized over the likes of Little Mac, Ridley, K. Rool, Palutena, and a returning Mewtwo; along with other characters from series that do not currently have reps that Sakurai has yet to include.

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
Metroid might be great but it's really a series about Samus. I think that's one of the main reasons our "second rep" for Metroid was just Samus in another form. The cast of characters is very limiting when it comes to additional Metroid reps, because almost all of them either only make a single game appearance or there's an apparent difficulty in making them work.

Maybe you are right, only Ridley has the charism for ssb, but I still think he is too big

D

Deleted member

I say Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Kid Icarus. The Donkey Kong series is pretty popular and was one of Nintendo's first series that it would be popular enough to warrant maybe one or two more spots on the roster (the most probable ones being Dixie Kong and King K. Rool). Metroid is also popular, but I see it as if Ridley isn't the newcomer, then there won't be a second Metroid character (again, it's my opinion). Kid Icarus should get another rep since Uprising was rather popular with the fans and Palutena is a very probable second character to represent the franchise. Every other series I am fine with with the amount of reps. (while Mario and Pokemon have a lot of reps as is, I see them getting more for how popular they are)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If the Sal Leak is true then the only existing series to get newcomers would be Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus. And to be technical, Animal Crossing. Granted all the cast may not be revealed yet and DLC is a possibility.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Mario = 5 1/2 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Dr. Mario.)

Zelda = 5 1/4 (Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon/Young Link)

Pokemon = 9 (Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Charizard, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivsaur, Pichu)

Kirby = 3 (Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight)

One of these things don't seem right at all. And I believe there is a certain bandana'd fellow who can fix it.

Also there is WAY to many Pokemon.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mario = 5 1/2 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Dr. Mario.)

Zelda = 5 1/4 (Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon/Young Link)

Pokemon = 9 (Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Charizard, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivsaur, Pichu)

Kirby = 3 (Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight)

One of these things don't seem right at all. And I believe there is a certain bandana'd fellow who can fix it.

Also there is WAY to many Pokemon.
I like how Young link is even less of a character than Dr Mario.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
only Metroid atm.
A few series have TOO MANY reps as of now (Mario, Pokemon) if they were never added in the first place then metroid could get some more interesting reps.

D

Deleted member

I'd say Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, and F-Zero. I'll admit, most of the reason why I want another F-Zero character is possible advertisement for a new game, but of course, that will never happen...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The only series that I could see getting a character are Zelda (Ganon, IF they give Dorf a new moveset), Kid Icarus (The possibility of Hades or Dark Pit), and Donkey Kong (Dixie Kong is the best bet).

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Well I think Yoshi Wario and Mother definitely need more Reps with Yoshi why Not Ukkiki? It fits not like he is not that well known people know him Wario should get a WarioWare character I think it should be Mona that's the likeliest one plus I want to hear a remixed Mona Pizza Song Mother would have Ninten I mean its only fair we Mother 2 and 3 represented so why not Mother 1? its not like he would not be unique He would be a very Physical Fighter using his Bat and other weapons he encounters in the game rather then solely having PSI attacks

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
Kirby and Fire Emblem need a 4th rep (I'm pretty sure FE will get a 3rd rep)
Donkey Kong needs a 3rd rep
Wario needs a 2nd rep

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
Mario: I'd like Toad to be included as a fifth rep, meh for Paper Mario

Zelda: I think it's fine

Pokemon: There are 5, enough as it is

DK: Could definitely use more reps from this game

Kirby: all for Bandana Dee

Kid Icarus: no more, just Pit and Palutena (Dark pit as Alt costume)

Star fox: De-clone, and it will be done

Etc Etc Etc

But you never know what Sakurai might do, so i'm still prepared for another surprise.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
While I am hesitant to use the word "representation", I would argue Donkey Kong should have had a fourth playable character by now - Diddy in Melee, and either Dixie or K. Rool in Brawl, with the other in the game thereafter.

An expansively long-running series of its legendary caliber certainly deserves it, especially with their strong character selections. It is a grossly-offensive insult for the Mother series to be on-par with what should be a series up there with the "Big Three" in terms of playable characters.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Zelda and Donkey Kong need at least one more rep each, and Im not counting Ganondorf because I think he has a shoe in. Metroid deserves another rep, but the most viable one is Ridley and he is so polemic I dunno if I should expect him. Besides, Metroid could stay with only Samus as the only playable character, like the games tradition.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
While I am hesitant to use the word "representation", I would argue Donkey Kong should have had a fourth playable character by now - Diddy in Melee, and either Dixie or K. Rool in Brawl, with the other in the game thereafter.

An expansively long-running series of its legendary caliber certainly deserves it, especially with their strong character selections. It is a grossly-offensive insult for the Mother series to be on-par with what should be a series up there with the "Big Three" in terms of playable characters.
Dankey Kang isn't part of the big three. Top 4 are easily Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Kirby.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
f zero that is about it, and maybe one pokemon from each gen and lyn for her being the main character in the first fire emblem game out side of japan. and arguably one more toon zelda character and bowser jr

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
How many reps a series has depends on how many chars are needed to sufficiently rep every/most game(s).
Character reps should be chosen depending on how well they can actually rep their games.
This is the reason that bigger series get more reps - it's not just because the series is big.

Also, some people look at a different rep being a different slot taken up on the roster (filesize etc.) while others see the same character as two playable ones as one rep, even though they take up two slots.

People who think of the first one will see Metroid as having two reps.

Looking at Mii Fighter, Sakurai appears to think the second way. That's really quite [REDACTED].

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Dankey Kang isn't part of the big three. Top 4 are easily Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Kirby.
That is not what I am getting at (or even what I said) - what I am saying is Donkey Kong should have been considered up there behind the "Big Three" (Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon) in terms of playable character content, even though it is not (I am avoiding mention of Metroid for the sake of controversy prevention). As to whether or not the Kirby series is more worthy of that status than Donkey Kong, that is highly debatable. Our opinions will differ, so I will spare the disagreement and say they both deserve what they get, although I only wish Donkey Kong got the same favorable treatment as Kirby.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong and Metroid both deserve at least one more rep, just because they've been around forever and are two of nintendos most iconic franchises.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Should they have more?

Mario- Probably not.
Zelda- Arguably one more, but not necessary.
Pokemon- Six slots is fair, but I think five would be better.
Donkey Kong- Yes, yes, yes! Maybe even two more.
Kirby- One more is warranted, but not necessary.
Metroid- One more is fair.
Star Fox- No.
Kid Icarus- Pit and Palutena is good for now.
Fire Emblem- One more, if they provide something new for the series.
Yoshi- No.
Mother- No.
F-Zero- Probably not.
Punch-Out!!- No.
Animal Crossing- No.
Pikmin- No.
Wario- Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom