• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What existing series do you think need more reps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking about series that are already in Smash what ones would benefit from a newcomer who's both relevant and fun to play?

My thoughts

Mario, Kirby and Zelda have just about all the important characters.
Yoshi has near no other characters.
Donkey Kong has a couple important one that could fill out the roster nicley. (Thinking Dixie and King K. Rool)
Pokemon and Fire Emblem have very fluid casts so sorting them out is an exercise in frustration.
Star Fox has one but the series is just about at it's limits.
Metroid is underrepresented but depends on getting a giant space dragon scaled down.
F-Zero could use one but their moves would have to be from scratch.
Earthbound has interesting characters but Ness and Lucas nicked their moves anyway.
Kid Icarus has made a comeback and has numerous characters that could make the jump to smasher.
Wario has many characters but can they make people want to buy the game?
The stars of the Pikmin series are the eponymous creatures and Olimar uses them all so unless the Flying and Rock ones can catty a whole moveset...

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Earthbound has interesting characters but Ness and Lucas nicked their moves anyway.
masked man says hi

anyways

mario's fine really, could have one more maybe?
kirby's fine - while Daroach would be neat, I'd only really say that if he got playable in Return to Dreamland.
Donkey Kong for sure should have more
Zelda's basically fine but hey last minute clone
Pokemon and Fire Emblem should just mostly bring back the vets
Star Fox could easily have one
Metroid could easily have one
F-Zero could use one for the sake of interest, and after seeing Goroh as an assist, yeah
this is kind of hilarious considering Masked Man is probably my most wanted character but I don't really think it needs another one. Based on the series it only really has MM left and while he'd be fun, I feel other characters are deserving for supporting cast, plus he has PSI anyways, but hey, localization please?
Kid Icarus has one really. I wouldn't bump it above that, at least for now
Wario I'd for sure say so. Heck, maybe even two.
Meh to Pikmin.
Though, if you had Louie in the Titan Dweevil that'd be one of the most interesting characters EVER

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong could get Dixie Kong.
Pokémon with Mewtwo or a new gen pokémon.
Fire Emblem I'd like it to get Anna or Robin.
Star Fox could get a new character but i'm not sure.
Metroid with Ridley definitely.
F-Zero. I think Samurai Goroh could be the one.
Earthbound nah if it did then maybe Porkey or the main guy from the first game.
Kid Icarus should get Palutena :grin: or else I cut someone
Wario maybe Mona or Ashley but I think it should stay at one.
Pikmin could get Alph or any of the new captains.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
There will be some switch ups, additions, and replacements, but the series I see needing the most love is metroid. For being a flagship franchise they sure are kinda... under repped. (Yes I know it is hard due to the games characters..but still...)

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Sonic. And like it or not Sega and Nintendo are getting pretty close.
I think Knuckles should be added in because he'd be a perfect fit. Up special could be like an adventure Glide and down special he could burrow into the ground and pop back up, which could damage someone, sorta like kirby's but different, also very rarely he could dig up a throwable item from the ground when you burrow, like in adventure when he pulls up skulls. standstill special could just be like a donkey kong charged punch. Not sure about the rest though.
Also Tails would be good, if you've ever play Super Smash Flash 2 they pretty much hit him spot on with that. Also if they still have boss battles / story mode (hopefully) Perfect Chaos would be a great boss to have in the game.
Also the game needs more villians and it would make a story mode alot better. I know Mario already has alot of characters but Bowser Jr. would be a great addition imo, or perhaps King Boo from Luigi's mansion to mix things up, he would be a really unique character, and it would give more attention to L.M.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Sonic. And like it or not Sega and Nintendo are getting pretty close.
I think Knuckles should be added in because he'd be a perfect fit. Up special could be like an adventure Glide and down special he could burrow into the ground and pop back up, which could damage someone, sorta like kirby's but different, also very rarely he could dig up a throwable item from the ground when you burrow, like in adventure when he pulls up skulls. standstill special could just be like a donkey kong charged punch. Not sure about the rest though.
Also Tails would be good, if you've ever play Super Smash Flash 2 they pretty much hit him spot on with that. Also if they still have boss battles / story mode (hopefully) Perfect Chaos would be a great boss to have in the game.
Also the game needs more villians and it would make a story mode alot better. I know Mario already has alot of characters but Bowser Jr. would be a great addition imo, or perhaps King Boo from Luigi's mansion to mix things up, he would be a really unique character, and it would give more attention to L.M.
I am not so sure about Sonic- Sega and Smash are lucky to even get sonic in and until a company gets 2 characters in I do not see a third party series getting more than 1 rep.

Groose

Smash Champion
ONES I"M SURE ABOUT:

Donkey Kong deserves THREE reps. That's going by a mixture of sales and how the series itself emphasizes characters (DK himself has given other characters the spotlight in his own series).

Kid Icarus deserves TWO reps. That's going mostly by how the series Uprising is filled with constant dialogue and places emphasis on character.

Metroid deserves TWO reps. That's going by the sales, cultural impact, and the long history of the franchise. It would seemingly deserve three; however, the series stresses isolation.

Zelda deserves FOUR COMPLETELY UNIQUE REPS. Ideally, this Zelda fan would like to think that the Triforce trio should all be unique and there should be a fourth character added alongside them (Tingle, Ghirahim, Vaati?). I do understand that Sheik does count as a unique rep, though, so just declone Ganondorf and we're good.

ONES I"M UNCERTAIN ABOUT:

Fire Emblem deserves THREE reps. That's going by sales, the number of characters it has created, and the sheer number of games in the franchise. The lack of cultural impact of the series (especially in the West) is my only reason for doubt.

Mario deserves FIVE reps. That's going by the fact that it is the main franchise of Nintendo. Granted, Yoshi kind of counts as a fifth rep and the quality of characters left drops after those who are already in (bar only Toad, but is he Smash material?).

Pokemon deserves FIVE reps. That's going by the fact that it is a huge cashcow and has more potential fighters than any other franchise. The reason I'm not quite sure about it is that Pokemon Trainer is perhaps the most complex character in the game; he's about as good as two reps.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
I am not so sure about Sonic- Sega and Smash are lucky to even get sonic in and until a company gets 2 characters in I do not see a third party series getting more than 1 rep.

I suppose but one could only hope. Anyways I think King Boo would be a really unique character and most people wouldn't expect it. But Bowser Jr. would probably be safer to go with.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I suppose but one could only hope. Anyways I think King Boo would be a really unique character and most people wouldn't expect it. But Bowser Jr. would probably be safer to go with.
Bowser Jr. Has appeared in more titles and has a bit more to work with moveset wise (Plus a larger fanbase.) He is more relevant, especially since Luigi's mansion isn't a separate franchise in Smash's eye.

Arteen

Smash Lord
The only important character the Mario series is missing at this point is Bowser Jr, who has appeared in quite a few mainline games since Sunshine. There is Toad, but he's already part of Peach's moveset. Daisy and Rosalina are better fit for Peach costumes than new fighters. Waluigi would round out the Mario roster, but he's not really Smash-worthy, having only appeared in spinoffs.

Kirby has everyone it needs.

Zelda has the Triforce trifecta, which is the core set of characters Smash needs. Sheik provides extra breadth to the roster and is a unique aspect to Zelda, so she's nice to keep around. Four spots on the roster good number for Smash (Zelda/Sheik share a spot), but it could do better than a Link clone taking last the spot. Either give Toon Link a more inspired moveset or replace him with one of the "flavor of the day" characters (Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, etc). I could also see Impa replace Sheik and take the fourth spot instead.

Yoshi needs no more than the titular dinosaur for representation.

DK and and Diddy are must-haves for the Donkey Kong series. It could use a third, which would be a tossup between K Rool or Dixie. Four spots is pushing it, IMO. Beyond those two, the series needs no one else.

Pokemon is huge and could use another spot or two, especially if Pokemon Trainer gets the boot. I haven't played any of the recent games, so I'm not going to bother estimating which ones have the best shot. As said, it's a fluid roster.

Fire Emblem needs at least two characters, but it's worthy of third. An Awakening character is all but guaranteed by the Ferox stage. Either Chrom or Lucina will make it in. Marth seems likely to stay on the roster, and Ike will too, if the series gets three characters. He'll get the boot otherwise.

Star Fox was pushing it at three in Brawl. It definitely doesn't need more. Krystal is the only notable SF character remaining, so Falco or Wolf might lose their spot to her.

Metroid? Honestly I think it fits Samus' character to represent the series all by her lonesome, but a second spot could happen. The series is more than important enough for it. Ridley would "probably be pretty impossible". Dark Samus is a contender to represent the Prime sub-series, but those games are past their "prime". There aren't many other recurring characters in the franchise besides Ridley and DS.

Captain Falcon is enough for F-Zero. Most other characters are interchangeable and/or forgettable.

Earthbound is such a small series that it hardly needed two characters. It doesn't need more, especially since the series is over.

Sakurai likes to play favorites, so his new baby Kid Icarus will likely get a bunch of love in SSB4. A second spot is likely.

Wario represents his games all on his own. Wario Ware has a bunch of characters, but they're gimmicky and none of them stand out from the others. They're assist trophy material.

Pikmin just needs Olimar.

Summary:
Mario: 4 (+1)
Kirby: 3 (+0)
Zelda: 4 (+0)
Yoshi: 1 (+0)
DK: 3 (+1)
Pokemon: ???
Fire Emblem: 3 (+1)
Star Fox: 3 (+0)
Metroid: 2 (+1)
F-Zero: 1 (+0)
Earthbound: 2 (+0)
Kid Icarus:2 (+1)
Wario: 1 (+0)
Pikmin: 1 (+0)

Groose

Smash Champion

King Boo highlights my list of "awesome boss potential."

Hong

The Strongest
None of them.

Well, except Ridley and Palutena. Not a huge fan of either but both of them have potential for awesome gameplay.

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind a cut from Star Fox or Mother. Other existing series have the right number of characters, though they could definitely do to be mixed up a bit. Jigglypuff, Lucario, Ike, Toon Link and Sheik can all be replaced. Who ever gets more roster additions should not be dictated by series popularity, but makes for the most fun game. For example, if you replace Sheik, do so with Impa and give her the same game dynamic.

There are still parts of Nintendo that could be represented, and unlike with R.O.B., they can actually CONTRIBUTE something that is meaningful and pleasant for the fans. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are a good start. Now let's look at Sin & Punishment, Advance Wars, or even some of our RPGs like Golden Sun or Xenoblade Chronicles.

In short, above all I value diversity and solid gameplay.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Nice idea for a thread, I was thinking of creating something like this myself.

Mario: It's quite clear that the 'big four' of the series are there, but is there perhaps more than a big four. There's arguably a big five with Toad and even a big six with Bowser Jr. Then there's major characters from outside the main 'Super Mario' series, the most notable being Paper Mario who is a big Nintendo icon in his own right. I don't think the series needs another rep, but either Toad to complete the original Mario cast or Paper Mario to represent the biggest thing outside the main series games would be welcome additions.

Yoshi: Baby Mario and Kamek are the only real potentials. They're fairly big characters but due to them appearing in numerous 'Mario' series games I don't think they stand out enough as 'Yoshi' characters to serve as another Yoshi rep. The Yoshi series doesn't really need another rep IMO.

Wario: a big enough series to deserve a second rep? Probably? But is there really another Wario character big and iconic enough to deserve a spot? Probably not. I don't think Wario needs another rep, he does the series enough justice on his own.

Donkey Kong: this series has quite the cast. K. Rool and Dixie are massive Nintendo icons, either of them would be very welcome additions to the roster. When you consider the size, fame and history of the DK series and when you consider Mother and Fire Emblem have the same amount of reps as the series and Star Fox and Kirby have more, the DK series is definitely deserving of another rep if not needing of one.

Zelda: a case can be made for the Zelda series only really requiring Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. They're the 'big three', the three Triforce bearers, they've been the three main characters for virtually the whole series. I'd also argue that they're the only Zelda characters that can be described as big Nintendo icons with the exception of King Harkinian. While a fourth rep for Zelda isn't needed, it's welcome IMO as long as it's not an alternate version of Link who were filler characters in Melee and Brawl respectively. If there is a fourth rep it should be given to Tingle, he is the Zelda character most needing of a playable appearance due to being the most prominent secondary character in the series and having his own mini-series.

Metroid: This is the only series I feel definitely needs a second rep, it's far far too big to have only one character. There's not a whole lot to choose from but Ridley stands out as one of the biggest Nintendo characters not yet playable. With Samus and Ridley I don't think anyone else would be necessary, we'd have the main character and the most prominent villain.

Kid Icarus: a fairly iconic and historic series which has come back into major prominence recently. A second rep would be welcome, especially if it was Paultenna, the second biggest and most recognisable character in the series and the title character of the series in Japan. Is one needed? I'd say 50/50. I don't think it'd be disastrous if Pit's the only Kid Icarus rep in SSB4.

Kirby: There's a clear 'big three' in Kirby and those characters are already in the game, the rest are minor secondary characters or one-shots. It could be argued than the rise to prominence of Bandanna Dee now makes it a big four, but I don't quite think he's big enough to get into Smash.

Star Fox: Three reps is more than enough for a series the size of Star Fox which is in the state it is. Star Fox has a big cast with a number of popular an famous icons, but I think the biggest three (discounting Andross) are in the game. Krystal's name gets mentioned a lot, but asides from moveset potential there's nothing that makes her more deserving than the likes of Peppy and Slippy. The series reps are nice and balanced as they are - the main hero, the most popular secondary protagonist and a popular villain.

F-Zero: it's probably a big enough series to deserve a second rep, but it doesn't need one. There's no characters in the series that stand out as needing to be in the game.

Pokemon: Four is enough, although it could stretch to five as long as Mario has five also. It could be argued that more than 5 slots are needed to represent the numerous generations of Pokemon, but my counter to that is that that can be done well enough through the Pokeballs.

Fire Emblem: a hard one to decide. It's a series growing in fame and popularity, so perhaps it could be argued it deserves another rep. It's also a series with a huge cast of characters which are usually completely different from game to game which makes it difficult to do the entire series justice with only two characters. A tricky one, I'd say two reps would do, but a third would be welcome.

Mother: I'd say two is enough, especially when the two are the respective main protagonist of the two most popular games in the series. Ninten would round it off nicely since we'd have each game's main character, but three reps is a bit much IMO.

Pikmin: I can't really see what a second rep would add really, plus all characters in the Pikmin series are in Olimar's shadow. I think the series only needs Olimar for now.

R.O.B.: it has another potential rep in Professor Hector who would be a cool addition, but unfortunately the series is nowhere near big enough to get two reps.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alright I'll play along I guess.

Mario: Could probably use one more newcomer. Dunno who it would be since there are quite a few candidates. I would guess either Toad or Bowser. Jr
Donkey Kong: It should have at least one more newcomer. Preferebally if it was King. K. Rool.
Yoshi: I think it is fine the way it is but if needed one more I'd say it should be Kamek.
Wario: Wario has quite a lot of colourful and quirky characters. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing one more newcomer from this series. I'd say the most likely would be either Mona, Jimmy T or Ashley.

Zelda: I think it's fine the way it is. No changes or additions are needed. Tingle can represent his own series instead.
Metroid: I suppose it can do with one more newcomer.
Kid Icarus: I certainly wouldn't mind another newcomer or two from this series, preferably if it was Palutena and Medusa.
Ice Climbers: Their fine the way they are.
R.O.B.: He's fine the way he is as well.

Kirby: It got the main three, yeah this series is complete as well.
Pikmin: If Olimar doesn't get the Flying and Rock Pikmin I can certainly see one of the new captains or Louie taking care of this.
Starfox: I think it's fine the way it is but I wouldn't be surprised if it got another newcomer, especially if that newcomer is Krystal.
F-Zero: I'm not too familiar with the series and its cast but I certainly wouldn't mind another newcomer from it, especially if its Samurai Goroh.

Pokemon: I honestly don't know what to think of this series. At one hand I want to see the return of Mewtwo but at another I want to see a newcomer as well, especially if Mega Mewtwo only end up as a cheap final smash. But it's definitely a series I feel should expand to one more roster spot.
Fire Emblem: Another series I'm not too sure about, I think it does earn a jump to 4 roster spots in my opinion since it does have a large cast of characters and with people wanting Roy back I do want to see at least one newcomer from this series.
Earthbound/Mother: I think this series is fine the way it is although I'm not opposed to one more newcomer though.

Game & Watch: Fine the way it is.
Metal Gear: Should only stick with one character.
Sonic: Same as Metal Gear, getting a character at all from a third party company is an honor. They shouldn't cheapen it imo. :/

And that's basically it. :/

Groose

Smash Champion

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who thinks Kid Icarus shouldn't get a rep...?
don't hate meh ;-;

Groose

Smash Champion
don't hate meh ;-;
It's debatable. Still, some view it as likely because Sakurai has pretty much adopted the series. Also, Uprising is a very high quality game, especially if you can get pas the controls.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
It's debatable. Still, some view it as likely because Sakurai has pretty much adopted the series. Also, Uprising is a very high quality game, especially if you can get pas the controls.
I never really thought that just because Sakurai adopted the series meant that a new rep was guaranteed. Sakurai has had the Kirby franchise since the original Smash, and Kirby didn't get new reps until Brawl, and it's a much bigger series.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I never really thought that just because Sakurai adopted the series meant that a new rep was guaranteed. Sakurai has had the Kirby franchise since the original Smash, and Kirby didn't get new reps until Brawl, and it's a much bigger series.
Yeah people always act like Sakurai self promotes, but in smash 64 and melee King dedede was planned but was cut for memory space/to give us 6 clones. He is pretty modest when it comes to his series.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Yeah people always act like Sakurai self promotes, but in smash 64 and melee King dedede was planned but was cut for memory space/to give us 6 clones. He is pretty modest when it comes to his series.
Yeah that's what I think too. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai say he wasn't going to make new Kid Icarus games for a long while?

Hong

The Strongest
Keep in mind that Sakurai has gone on to say he currently has no plans for the series beyond what he has done. If something ever comes to mind, it could be 2020 by the time we get another KI. So with that, unless someone new takes over, the series is on a stand-still
don't hate meh ;-;
I don't really look at it that way. I don't think someone like Magnus really should be a character, because Nintendo has so many different characters that can do the same thing, with more importance to the company. But I do genuinely think Palutena has so many ways she could be a fun character. I myself did not like Uprising because of the ground controls, though I am a huge fan of the Famicom classic and the modern re-envisioning of the characters and their personalities.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah that's what I think too. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai say he wasn't going to make new Kid Icarus games for a long while?
I believe he said at this time that is the last and final game and there are no plans for another ever. (But plans can change. He made brawl as if it would be the last smash.)

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Meh, I don´t really care except for Metroid, seriously you can have Ridley or Dark Samus (one is to big the other will be a clone), fine then you can use the other six hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters (everyone has different armament and technique, their morph ball is different too). I dont know, after seeing the other franchises get two more reps, I feel that Sakurai is not giving Metroid enough credit (-_-).

.n_n.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Super Mario: Should have the most characters, or be tied with Zelda and Pokemon to have the most characters. I would be satisfied with five characters, and I could see Toad, Bowser Jr, or Paper Mario being added. I think it would be hilariously awesome if Toad and Bowser Jr. came in as Super Mario characters and PM counted as his own series. Honestly I'd be fine if there weren't any new Mario characters, but I did think it was weird that it lost a character while Zelda and Pokemon gained characters back in Brawl.

Donkey Kong: Should totally have another character due to the fact that it's had a revival and it's one of Nintendo's big franchises. I want Dixie both because I prefer heroes and it would be nice to have more female fighters, but I'd be fine with K. Rool. Having both would bring a huge smile to my face but I think there's a very slim chance of that happening.

The Legend of Zelda: As a huge Zelda fan, I'm fine with the current roster. I would love to see Toon Zelda/Tetra to be added since I don't think Toon Link is going anywhere. I really want Sheik to get cut, but I don't think that'll happen.

Metroid: Ridley deserves to be added. We already have two versions of Samus, which I think is sweet, but I really think Ridley should be there.

Yoshi: The only characters I can see be added are the baby versions of the Mario characters and Kamek, and I don't think there will be any additions. If Yoshi's Epic Yarn is getting a new playable character then we could have a Roy situation on our hands, but other than that Yoshi will be flying solo again.

Kirby: Kirby is fine where it is, but I would personally love to have Bandanna Dee added mostly to see what the reactions would be.

Star Fox: SF is one of my all time favorite video game series, so I have no problem with a new character being added to each game. Krystal is one of my most wanted newcomers, and I've been supporting her since Brawl. I would consider the series complete if she got added, but if she isn't there then I also think that would be fine. I don't see a problem with SF getting four characters if the bigger franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon) have five or six.

Pokemon: Right now they've got six playable characters, so either one gets swapped out, or we end up having seven. I don't really have an opinion on the Pokemon representation.

F-Zero: While I think it would be cool to have another character like Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh, or Jody Summer, I really don't think anyone else will be added.

Mother: Ness and Lucas are fine.

Ice Climber: There isn't anyone else to add.

Fire Emblem: FE should be bumped up to three or maybe even four due to the massive amount of characters in the franchise, the length of time it's been around, and the fact that Awakening just saved the franchise and was a massive worldwide hit.

Wario: I think it's fine.

Kid Icarus: Should get two, preferably Palutena since the franchise is named after her in Japan.

Pikmin: Olimar is all you need.

R.O.B.: See Pikmin.

Third Parties: I really only think Tails should be added. Everyone else is fine on their own.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Frankly I don't think any of the existing franchises really need more reps, maybe a switch around...but not more than they already have. I suppose it would be nice to see the addition of Ridley and Palutena, but nothing after that.

I completely believe smash 4 is the time for new (to smash bros) and smaller franchises to shine. I feel at this point it's mainly the smaller franchises that have the most to offer in terms of moveset potential.

A lot of franchises have characters with ultimately similar styles and ways of battling There's nothing like new franchises to turn the smash formula on it's head.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
don't hate meh ;-;
You're not. I'm iffy about giving any series with just three games to it's name two reps:

That being said, let's go!

Super Mario: Seriously. Just give me Toad and I'll shut up already. He's the last big star of the series whose been around since the beginning. Bowser Jr is all fine and good, but Toad is far more instantly recognisable by pretty much everyone on the planet of the two.

Donkey Kong: Deserves one rep. At one point it was part of the big 3 series(pre-Pokemon) and has a rich cast of apes and crocs to pick from. I'd lean more towards Dixie, but K. Rool is fine too.

The Legend of Zelda: Doesn't require another. It already has five reps with Sheik. Cut her(?) and you can add either Tingle or Tetra, but that's about it for important characters. Arguably Tetra and Tingle aren't that important anyway.

Metroid: I personally have no stock in this series at all. That said I am sick of hearing about Ridley, in much the same way people are sick of hearing me bang on about Toad. So add both, as both are huge parts of their series and everyone wins.

Yoshi: Even as a huge fan of the Yoshi series I can't see another rep being needed. If you must, you can throw Baby Mario onto Yoshi's back, but I'd prefer if we kept the babies at home.

Kirby: MAYBE Bandanna Dee. But that's only because Return to Dreamland was so good.

Star Fox: "Can't let you do that Star Fox"

Pokemon: Pokemon seemingly has enough. Annoyingly though there's as many more important Pokemon as are currently playable. Switch up the roster maybe instead.

F-Zero: Samurai Goroh is about the only character I'd want from this, and that's to complete the rivals section; Fox has Wolf, Samus has Ridley(presuming he gets in finally) and Falcon has Goroh.

Mother: I'm still not convinced Mother, a game with a measly three games, warranted a second character in Brawl. Especially since the second character we got didn't even get an international release and doesn't look like it's going to anytime soon.

Ice Climber: You got two reps in one. That's enough.

Game and Watch: Whilst it does have loads of games...there's no one else of any importance.

Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem is deserving of at least three reps. Maybe four at the rate of it gaining popularity and it's got quite the long history.

Wario: Maybe Captain Syrup. She can rep Wario Land, whilst Wario continues to rep WarioWare.

Kid Icarus: I'm still iffy about giving multiple reps to series with only three games, but at least Kid Icarus has been released the world over. Add Palutena if you must and absolutely no one else. At least until the series gets a fourth installment.

Pikmin: Might get a new rep, but again; three games seems too little to warrant two reps.

R.O.B.: No. Just no.

Third Parties: Shouldn't have anymore. This is coming from a huge Tails fan too. This is Nintendo's All Stars, and Sonic being in is an amazing bonus. Having two Sonic characters would seem cheeky. By all means though have Tails, Knuckles or urgh... allow Shadow back as Assist Trophies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Mario: The majority of Mario storylines is already represented. Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario and Luigi go out to save her. Of course that's just scratching the surface, but I feel that all the necessary characters are in. If anything, add in Bowser Jr, considering he's the one who kidnaps Peach these days.

Donkey Kong: It's getting a new rep, the question remains just who it is. I'm rooting for K. Rool, since he adds so much more to the roster than Dixie Kong would, but both are deserving in their own rights.

Yoshi: Nope, if anything it should be Kamek, but in reality Yoshi's series is set in the Mario universe, and we wouldn't want Mario characters to overflood the roster.

Wario: While the Wario series has a fair share of unique characters unlike Yoshi, they're just not really fit for Smash Bros. So nope.

Zelda: I could actually rather see Zelda losing a rep rather than gaining one. I have a very hard time seeing Toon Link in this game, and I have an even harder time seeing it getting a newcomer. Not that that's what I want, I'd like to see it stay intact.

Metroid: It needs Ridley, anyone who thinks that Metroid doesn't warrant another character is objectively wrong, and anyone who thinks that there are other Metroid characters worthy of getting into Smash Bros other than Ridley is wrong too. Yeah, I sound pretty douchey when stating it like this, but that's just how it is. The overall themes of the source games, like Metroid's isolation, don't matter in Smash Bros, else F-Zero and FE would have tons of reps, Mother would have 4 reps, and Pokémon would have 6 reps. Even then the enemies are still a big part of the franchise, Samus is only isolated from allies, but she's still constantly attacked by enemies, so Ridley would represent the biggest part of the franchise aside from Samus herself, and that's without taking into account how majorly important he is to the overall story of the franchise, as in Samus wouldn't be a bounty hunter without him, thus no Metroid.

Kid Icarus: Uprising was a big success, I can definitely see Palutena joining in, and that'd be very fine with me.

Kirby: It's complete as it is, as a big Kirby fan I don't want any more characters from that series.

Pikmin: Olimar does well enough on his own. If there was a new captain he/she would have been revealed instead of Olimar at Pikmin 3's release, and Olimar would probably have been unlockable. It really doesn't need more reps either.

Starfox: Enough is enough. 2 reps would even be fine with me, and I'd be surprised if Wolf made it in over anyone but Toon Link.

F-Zero: Nah, I just don't see it as plausible.

Pokémon: Pokémon has become a difficult subject with the announcement that Lucario is getting a Mega evo. I'm thinking that it'll have 5 characters, that being the Brawl roster + Mewtwo. It definitely warrants it, and the series is never really completed either.

Fire Emblem: I can see Chrom joining, though that might make Ike's chances a bit shaky. It would be fine with 3 FE reps, but it would still work with just 2 FE reps.

Mother: As a fan of the series I can say that it is a miracle in itself that it got Lucas. Right now it just needs to fight to keep Lucas on the roster, it's definitely not getting a new character.

Third Parties: Pac-Man is a possible addition, but other than that I don't see any other third parties joining.

So yeah, to answer the thread title: DK, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem and Pokémon (sort of.) Rest of the newcomers should be from new series.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I believe Mario, DK, Zelda, F-Zero, Metroid deserve new reps the most, although it seems unlikely in case of F-Zero.

Mario has a wealth of characters who can be added, but Toad and Bowser Jr. are the most likely as well as the most deserving.

Similarly with DK. Both Dixie and K. Rool would be excellent additions.

Zelda has a few characters to add. I'd say Toon Zelda/Tetra, Tingle, and Impa are the most likely in the order they are written.

F-Zero is underrepresented, period. Samurai Goroh should be included. Or Black Shadow can be added as a quick Falcon clone.

Metroid has Ridley.

I don't think Kid Icarus really needs a new rep, though there won't be opposition.

Other series are fine as they are, imo, though I surely won't complain if they get more reps as well. :p

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I completely believe smash 4 is the time for new (to smash bros) and smaller franchises to shine. I feel at this point it's mainly the smaller franchises that have the most to offer in terms of moveset potential.

A lot of franchises have characters with ultimately similar styles and ways of battling There's nothing like new franchises to turn the smash formula on it's head.
I agree with this. There's so many big and great Nintendo franchises that haven't got a playable character yet - Punch Out, Golden Sun, Wars, Puzzle League, Excite, Sin and Punishment, Custom Robo, Starfy, Chibi Robo, Star Tropics, Balloon Fight, Super Smash Bros itself even... as well as one game series such as Duck Hunt, Eternal Darkness, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Xenoblade, Mole Mania, Clu Clu Land, Joy Mech Fight and Devil World. There's so much there to be used.

Sakurai has already added two new series which deserved to have playable characters in Animal Crossing and the Wii series, so lets hope he continues that trend.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Mario: I see Toad or Bowser Jr. possible. Paper Mario would be cool too,but I think he should rep his own series like Yoshi.

DK: Needs another rep. K. Rool would be the best,but I'd take Dixie.

Metroid: Needs Ridley.

Pokemon: Brawl cast then add Mewtwo.

Fire Emblem: Deserves three reps...Marth,Ike and Chrom.

Kid Icarus: If Mother/Earthbound can get two reps. So can KI.

Any other series I did not metion do not need more reps.

Foot Foot

Smash Rookie
Mario, Zelda and Pokemon all are probably going to get five reps. They're Nintendo's biggest series and need to be on top in terms of representations because of this.
Mother has a lot of interesting characters, and a lot of possible reps that would add to the series, but chances are it's not going to happen. 2 Rep for a series with three games when Metroid and F-Zero are only getting one seems a bit much, if the other series are balanced out, it would be fair to add either Jeff, Masked Man or Poo.
Starfox is over-rep'd with clone characters, three representations is fine, but movesets need to be changed, if they can change at the very least Wolf, add Krystal.
Metroid needs Ridley
For F-Zero, maybe add another character but it's not completely necessary
Fire Emblem could go up to three, four seems excessive but the cast is so wide that it needs more than two representations to properly display it as a series.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
F-zero doesn't need/deserve an additional rep, but I really, REALLY want one.

Metroid needs moar. Ridley or at least Dark Samus.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Mario: I see Toad or Bowser Jr. possible. Paper Mario would be cool too,but I think he should rep his own series like Yoshi.

DK: Needs another rep. K. Rool would be the best,but I'd take Dixie.

Metroid: Needs Ridley.

Pokemon: Brawl cast then add Mewtwo.

Fire Emblem: Deserves three reps...Marth,Ike and Chrom.

Kid Icarus: If Mother/Earthbound can get two reps. So can KI.

Any other series I did not metion do not need more reps.
I can't really argue with any of this. However if Fire Emblem gets three reps then I wouldn't like them to be Marth, Ike and Chrom. Three blue haired sword users would be dull. I'd personally have Marth, one of Ike or Chrom and one of Lyn, Roy, Ephraim, Micaiah (if Chrom gets in) or Robin (if Ike gets in).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I feel that Metroid and Donkey Kong are the two biggest franchises that could really use a newcomer or two. For Metroid Ridley would be the obvious choice. But Dark Samus could work too if we're talking late development characters to be added. For Donkey Kong the only real viable additions would be either K. Rool or Dixie. I I'd be fine with either one of those. Adding Chrom for Fire Emblem would be cool too. But only if there's some way to make him stand out from Ike and Marth.

The Mario series does have some potential characters too. But seeing as that series is pretty well represented as is, I'd be fine with the same four from Brawl. But if I had to choose, I'd pick Paper Mario. Kid Icarus might be able to get a second character. Seeing as alot fans are asking about it. Maybe Sakurai took notice. Can't really see any Zelda characters being worth adding outside the ones from Brawl.

Oh how's about we add Zero as a second Megaman Rep. C'mon think about it, Megaman and Zero vs Mario and Link would be really cool.What? No. Ok, fine then.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Why is everyone trying to keep the roster down? I understand there should be a balance of reps but the more characters the better.
Does anyone else think the Baby Mario brothers as one character, Ice Climbers style, would be a cool idea?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Mario: I'd like a fifth rep. Mostly Toad in my opinion, but Paper Mario, Bowser Junior, King Boo or Waluigi would be fine with me.
Zelda: Keep the four from Brawl, and add another (Tingle, Impa, Ghirahim, the CD-I King, Young Link) to round up another main series.
Pokemon: Just five. Pikachu, Red, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Lucario. That's all it needs.
Kirby: It can add another one if they feel like it, whether it be Bandana Dee, Daroach, Prince Fluff or Knuckle Joe, but it doesn't need it.
Donkey Kong: At least 3. King K. Rool is the most desirable, but Dixie Kong can be added too.
Metroid: Two. No more, no less. Ridley all the way baby!
Star Fox: De-clone them, and you're good. Only 4 if you want to.
Yoshi: Not needed. Kamek would be appreciated. however.
Ice Climber: There's literally nobody left. Unless you guys consider Balloon Fighter part of their universe.
Fire Emblem: 3. No more, no less. Roy or Chrom. Make a decision.
F-Zero: Won't be getting one, sadly, in my opinion. But I want one badly.
EarthBound: I want one, at least 3. Porky, Masked Man or Ninten. But I've a feeling it won't happen.
Wario: Probably not. It deserves one though.
Kid Icarus: It deserves one, but remember how long it took Sakurai to add one of his own characters to the mix? (Kirby series?)
Animal Crossing: Nope.
Game & Watch: Nope.
Pikmin: Nope.
Gyromite: Professor Hector is a distant dream.
Wii Fit: Nope.
Metal Gear: Nope.
Sonic: Nope.
Mega Man: Nope.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Mario: I'd like a fifth rep, though it'd be a toss-up between Bowser Jr. And Toad, and I think the latter would get in due to his seniority.

Zelda: Unless Sakurai throws in another Link clone, I wouldn't mind it being just the Triforce holders and Sheik. If Toon Link goes and has to be replaced, I'd say replace him with a minor villian like Vaati or Ghirahim.

DK: I think that due to its popularity, Donkey Kong could easily get 4 reps. However, if it has to be limited to 3, it's either Dixie or K. Rool, and whoever doesn't make it in Smash 4 will get in with Smash 5.

Kirby: It seems complete, but the Waddle Dee from Return to Dreamland is a welcome addition.

Metroid: If they can make him work, Ridley. If not, no one else gets in.

Star Fox: The series hasn't been that popular in a while, so keep it at 2 reps, those two being Foc and Falco. Wolf would be okay, and I'd tolerate Krystal, but I still think Foc and Falco are enough.

Mother: 2 reps are fine, if it got 3, I'd say round it off with Ninten, but I doubt that'd happen, and he looks too similar to Ness.

Fire Emblem: Keep Marth, hopefully Ike too, and add either Chrom or Lucina, preferably the latter. So 3 reps is fine.

Pokemon: Whether or not the series gets 5 reps hinges on whether or not Mario gets the same amount. They can't have another series, even a video game giant like Pokemon overtake Nintendos' main franchise. It definitely deserves 5 reps, and if its the case, just add Mewtwo.

KI: I think it should get 2 reps, the second being Palutena.

Those are the only series I would change at this point in time.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The only one I think needs more is Donkey Kong due to the massive popularity of the franchise and Donkey Kong being a gaming icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom