• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Customs Post-Evo 2015?

Have your opinions changed?

• Total voters

Raijinken

Smash Master
I think the best way to do it is to just treat them as if they were separate games. Maybe one year we could have EVO without customs and the next year with customs, if possible run both in the same year. Other majors mostly focused on the Smash games like Apex could just run both.
I wonder how likely we are to convince Apex (or whatever the next major tournament is that declares rules early) to run two similar but distinct versions of the game?

More interestingly (and more relevant for more players), what are the odds of convincing TOs who are already apparently stretched to find enough setups, to allocate some to each ruleset (and/or run the rulesets at different times like singles/doubles).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I wonder how likely we are to convince Apex (or whatever the next major tournament is that declares rules early) to run two similar but distinct versions of the game?

More interestingly (and more relevant for more players), what are the odds of convincing TOs who are already apparently stretched to find enough setups, to allocate some to each ruleset (and/or run the rulesets at different times like singles/doubles).
Maybe some kind of Salty Suite-esque event, where the entire point is customs exhibition matches?

TheAnomaly

Smash Cadet
Maybe some kind of Salty Suite-esque event, where the entire point is customs exhibition matches?
That actually sounds feasible. What would be perfect would be to get a top player or something to play against people with custom sets where the challenger explains every "jank"(I detest that word but I feel it conveys the message the best) way their customs have ever interacted with another move or killed someone beforehand and then fight them. This would be the best way to stop people from complaining about them being too "jank". The top player will adjust quickly to the new move and will be able to exploit it's weaknesses while the custom player would be able to showcase how it benefits their playstyle more than default.

Raijinken

Smash Master
That actually sounds feasible. What would be perfect would be to get a top player or something to play against people with custom sets where the challenger explains every "jank"(I detest that word but I feel it conveys the message the best) way their customs have ever interacted with another move or killed someone beforehand and then fight them. This would be the best way to stop people from complaining about them being too "jank". The top player will adjust quickly to the new move and will be able to exploit it's weaknesses while the custom player would be able to showcase how it benefits their playstyle more than default.
Could probably skip the whole explanation part and just find one of the top players who already knows the moves.

Also, might get the points across more if participants were required to use at least one custom move. Or have showcase dittos between default and custom versions of a character, or doubles with a default and custom of each character on a team (i.e. Default Marth and Custom Marth vs Default Ike and Custom Ike).

FallenHero

Smash Ace
A lot of top players already know how to deal with it.

TheAnomaly

Smash Cadet
Just wanted it to be clear that both players should have full knowledge of what the move is capable of so we can finally get rid of this word "jank".

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I always thought the word "jank" meant weird, not overpowered or cheap. Like "Wario has some janky animations" or "The hitbox on that move is kind of janky". I guess I got this from hearing commentators say the word in the context of something being weird.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I always thought the word "jank" meant weird, not overpowered or cheap. Like "Wario has some janky animations" or "The hitbox on that move is kind of janky". I guess I got this from hearing commentators say the word in the context of something being weird.
I think it's mostly with customs that it very quickly developed a negative connotation. Largely when coupled with the association of Customs with "Not default", it became "That move is janky and dumb and since we're able to put it in a bannable category let's do so."

At that time, people very quickly stopped calling things like Wii Fit's hitboxes, or Monado Arts' entire functionality, or Wario's movements, janky. It went from being "this is odd relative to the norm" to "this is abnormal to the point of being bad for the game", but only when applied to customs.

Because really, when you think about it, there's a lot that's jank in this game, by the "weird" definition.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The bad connotation applies to both Customs and Stages. Just adding that to the last post.
:196:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Are you talking about custom stages? I always thought the only problem with custom stages was inability to distribute them?
Any stage with a "jank" element. Custom stages, too, but stages like Stadium 2 or Mario Circuit 8 with unusual but, relatively, non-interfering hazards.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

Quick question! Are there custom moves tournaments again since EVO 2015, because I didn't hear a single thing about custom moves since then. Are custom moves still allowed in tournaments or are they a thing of a past?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hi guys,

Quick question! Are there custom moves tournaments again since EVO 2015, because I didn't hear a single thing about custom moves since then. Are custom moves still allowed in tournaments or are they a thing of a past?
Depends on the tournament and region. Sadly, on the grander scale, they are not being used.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well. That's unfortunate. I would like them to be legal global-wise. It will benefit a lot of characters (looking at you Doc)
I'm shifting gears and starting small. There's a small weekly I've started attending, and last week I brought my own Wii U and managed to attract a few people over while I had customs on. Some of them even made their own sets.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I'll continue contributing to the theory and whatnot obviously, just take everything with a grain of salt since it's practically impossible for me to practice customs in-person against offline human opponents of skill.
fix'd that for you. :p One of these days we'll both have a free evening and I'll go a few rounds against you. Not that I'm "of skill" the way tourney winners are, but it's something

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Missouri still has quite a few customs tournaments. Mostly if not completely in the KC area. That can probably be attributed to the fact that Ampharos lives here.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Missouri still has quite a few customs tournaments. Mostly if not completely in the KC area. That can probably be attributed to the fact that Ampharos lives here.
the midwest has the strongest custom scene by far. From minnesota all the way down south t parts of texas. just dont know the streams for most of them. (or if they exist)

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
The Midwest seems promising. Maybe I'll have to go to Saint Louis or Loyola Chicago instead of BC...

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Well if we're doing a system where we are only allowed to use defined pre-sets then I'd rather customs just be off. But if we're allowing for all customs to be on(the point of customization in the first place) then I would rather customs be on.

Really though I'd just prefer it if weekly tournaments alternated between customs being on and off every other week. I think that's the best way to make everyone happy and provide the most diverse gaming experience for the community.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well if we're doing a system where we are only allowed to use defined pre-sets then I'd rather customs just be off. But if we're allowing for all customs to be on(the point of customization in the first place) then I would rather customs be on.

Really though I'd just prefer it if weekly tournaments alternated between customs being on and off every other week. I think that's the best way to make everyone happy and provide the most diverse gaming experience for the community.
Alternating weekly is a really nice idea, but I could see either side complaining that they're getting their content cut by half. Then again, I've seen people in NC complain that even having weeklies gets people burned out faster, so alternating rulesets may be a way to keep players who don't play both from burning out (if you feel similarly about weeklies).

NightKev

Smash Rookie
NNID
DayKev
Actually, it can be seen as a very big difference between allowing more characters and more special moves. Especially considering that the Custom Moves can be toggled ON or OFF with an in-game option and DLC cannot; they are not balanced for competition; linked to non-competitive aspects such as Equipment; need to be RNG farmed; and not allowed in online play (not saying online sets precedence, just that this is a motivating factor when players express how they feel about the option/vote on what is to be used).
Simply saying it is like DLC is not strong enough to make a push for them to be used en mass (not even Miiverse, a free DLC with 1.1.0 patch is used universally).
(This was from the CMP thread but it's better discussed in this one; also I notice T0MMY doesn't check to make sure he formatted his posts correctly before posting them).

- "They are not balanced for competition"
So... what, they're completely and utterly broken? What is the implication here? They're not "perfectly" balanced but neither is the game without them so how is this relevant?

- "linked to non-competitive aspects such as Equipment"
...and? This is completely irrelevant, equipment isn't going to be used and no one is advocating that anyway.

- "need to be RNG farmed"
Except they don't, there are multiple ways to bypass this (either via buying an AR or using the free save editor).

- "not allowed in online play"
So the online tournament mode that Nintendo added doesn't exist?

nodle

Smash Cadet
defaults are just that tho... this game cant be played if defaults werent legal lmao
The game is totally playable with defaults illegal, you just need to allow (and force) the use of special moves 2-3. The point is, Customs moves 2-3 are at least as balanced as custom move 1 (default) so it doesn't make sense to cry imbalance as a reason for banning.

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
Important info: The last Smash iteration brings custom moves to play. It is so funny that people are discussing how to play the new Smash cutting his new features off. The balance issue was not satisfactory proved but a few, counted custom combinations that is underused and the poll was open for enough time to demonstrate that people support them.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
(This was from the CMP thread but it's better discussed in this one; also I notice T0MMY doesn't check to make sure he formatted his posts correctly before posting them).

- "They are not balanced for competition"
So... what, they're completely and utterly broken? What is the implication here? They're not "perfectly" balanced but neither is the game without them so how is this relevant?

- "linked to non-competitive aspects such as Equipment"
...and? This is completely irrelevant, equipment isn't going to be used and no one is advocating that anyway.

- "need to be RNG farmed"
Except they don't, there are multiple ways to bypass this (either via buying an AR or using the free save editor).

- "not allowed in online play"
So the online tournament mode that Nintendo added doesn't exist?
Basically the majority don't like customs. And you will not force them to play a game they don't like. Even the older people in this thread came in terms with that fact and started trying to sway people to like customs instead of using "logical" arguments. Fun and enjoyment>Logic. Becauce at the end this is still a game and without it being fun no one will play it. Even competitiveness and the game makers wishes are very secondary to that.

You gotta understand that people feel entitled to make arguments to jusitfy their preferences. Even if they dont hold much ground. They just dont want to think that they dislike something because they dislike it instead of having logical reasons to do so. I came in here with so many arguments against customs and now I'm left with about one or two standing ( thanks to Raijinken Raijinken ) but I still don't like customs and would probably drop the game if they became a thing permanently.

Nick Riddle put it up pretty nicely I think a page ago.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Basically the majority don't like customs. And you will not force them to play a game they don't like. Even the older people in this thread came in terms with that fact and started trying to sway people to like customs instead of using "logical" arguments. Fun and enjoyment>Logic. Becauce at the end this is still a game and without it being fun no one will play it. Even competitiveness and the game makers wishes are very secondary to that.

You gotta understand that people feel entitled to make arguments to jusitfy their preferences. Even if they dont hold much ground. They just dont want to think that they dislike something because they dislike it instead of having logical reasons to do so. I came in here with so many arguments against customs and now I'm left with about one or two standing ( thanks to Raijinken Raijinken ) but I still don't like customs and would probably drop the game if they became a thing permanently.

Nick Riddle put it up pretty nicely I think a page ago.
This is why I think Smash 4 customs and Smash 4 with no customs should both be treated as different games, so that everyone can be happy and play which one they like instead of losing interest like Raijinken Raijinken . Honestly I would lose interest in Smash 4 if every tournament was customs and non-customs became something played on a much smaller scale like how customs are now. I honestly believe that one meta is greater than 2, but if we treat it as if they are not the same game then they can both survive.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Yeah. A customs side event sounds about right.
No, not a side event. I am trying to say when people look at Smash 4 customs they should not treat it as the same game as Smash 4 without customs. They should both have their own separate competitive scenes and neither should be treated as a "side event".

Top Bottom