• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Famitsu Fighter Profiles (Updated 9/10)

Hong

The Strongest
The more I see them, the more convinced I am that custom moves should be legal. The idea of adjusting to different match-ups sounds way too fun.

I'm a bit confused on some of this though. What exactly does the giant Luma special do? Make him bigger for a bit? Make him bigger for an attack? Turn him into a shield? And the Palutena article says that they were gonna show off Pit as well. Is there a page missing?
There are two more pages. It will be some time before I get them, but I'll at least have the scans before then. I'll post part two (with Pit) after they are translated.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
There are two more pages. It will be some time before I get them, but I'll at least have the scans before then. I'll post part two (with Pit) after they are translated.
Thank you so much for providing me and the Palutena thread with Palutena data. <3
I've gotten a lot more data of her custom specials from that, and even now know her default specials.

Speaking of, if Pit's in the next one, I hope they show off his custom specials besides that "slow arrow" one. I assume Pit uses a different arm in one of the specials. Tbh, I'd like to see the Pit data even in Japanese if you have it and don't mind PMing me it. I just can't wait when it comes to Pit and Palutena data.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Awesome, I always wonder what they said and you can bet I'll come to this thread often to get to learn more about the fighters.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Thank you so much for providing me and the Palutena thread with Palutena data. <3
I've gotten a lot more data of her custom specials from that, and even now know her default specials.

Speaking of, if Pit's in the next one, I hope they show off his custom specials besides that "slow arrow" one. I assume Pit uses a different arm in one of the specials. Tbh, I'd like to see the Pit data even in Japanese if you have it and don't mind PMing me it. I just can't wait when it comes to Pit and Palutena data.
You and me both. Not sure how they'll improve on the Upperdash though, since it's so useful already.

Anybody here know some place where the whole magazine is scanned? It's for another game and a friend told me it was there.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Awesome, I always wonder what they said and you can bet I'll come to this thread often to get to learn more about the fighters.
You and me both. Not sure how they'll improve on the Upperdash though, since it's so useful already.

Anybody here know some place where the whole magazine is scanned? It's for another game and a friend told me it was there.
Maybe there will be one that has him quickly dash forward and shoot some powerful projectile akin to the Uprising games or maybe he can Ganondorf grab with one of the arms as well.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
To everyone:

First, Pit's page was (coincidentally) posted just a few minutes after the above posters were asking for it. However, it seems I do not have enough "points" to post the link.

Next:

Hello! I'm the translator of these pictures (from Kantopia), I came across the thread a week or two ago when I saw people were being linked to my page from here. I kept an eye to see if there were any issues or feedback. I appreciate the fact there is a local translator here who was verifying the information and ensuring accuracy of the info. You have my greatest thanks for pointing out potential errors (such as Little Mac's punch range, addressed below), as well as helping point out that I do indeed translate quite literally.

It always helps to have a second opinion/look over something.

I signed up here to remind people that they can reach me more immediately.. I had gotten no emails regarding potential errors, so felt maybe things were fine. But, I would follow up referral links to make sure all was well, and saw there were some minor issues (thank goodness, I was worried there was much worse...)

I feel it's much better when you can just ask or talk to the source directly,rather than being left to speculate how or why one thing or another was done. A reminder that I am not some strange third party entity that is out of reach.

And so, some points to address:

1-Literal Translations
My site started out as a personal portfolio to compare a localization decision to a literal translation. See how a localizer dealt with an issue by viewing the original material, and then deduce why they did what they did.

In this case, these scans were just a personal project that took off... and I realize I should use the officially localized name to reduce as much confusion as possible.

Admittedly, I have not been following this game too closely beyond these scans and character reveals, to keep the experience fresh to some extent. I may rectify this for your convenience (as I was not expecting much of a readership when I began...)

I am not familiar with a lot of the official lingo used for Smash Brothers, as I was mostly a solo player, and friends that I played with used slightly different terms than what I see on boards (having grown up abroad). That is pretty obvious from the translations, I assume.

2-Little Mac's Stun Punch Range:
I see what you [@Hong] mean by possibly understating the range in the way this was written out. Below is the transcript for that part:

限界まで溜めたパンチで相手を痺れさせる。パンチのて射程距離は長いが、攻撃をうけると怯んでしまう。

I took "genkai (限界)" to refer to his power build up, rather than the range. If taken as range, then yes indeed, that would mean incredibly long range. Having taken it as the power build up, I assumed that the punch stuns at full power, but not if only partially filled. I apologize for this mistake if "genkai" does indeed refer to range, rather than the amount of charge. The most misleading part was likely because the verb "tameta 溜めた" (to accumulate) followed. "A punch that stuns opponents at full power", rather than "A punch that reaches the limits to stun opponents."

Ah...the things that come with translating Japanese...

3-The 12 Miracles

@ Neo Zero Neo Zero

Here is the line in question specifically:

通常のファイターは4種類の必殺ワザを持ち、カスタマイズができるが、パルテナはテレポートや反射盤など、12種類もの奇跡から4つを選んで必殺ワとして用いる。

"The usual fighters have four move types, but Palutena can customize moves like "teleport" and "reflect barrier"by selecting from the 12 miracles"

This is a quick re-visit very literal translation. I realize the way I wrote it out on the page was even more vague...but the impression I got from this meant that you can customize any special move to become any other special move. I doubted this though just from previous experience (in the older games), but figured it may be a new mechanic I was unaware of.

The native speaker you refer to would have the final say, as I would assume their translation skill would indeed be far superior.

---

I apologize for the lengthy post, and probably wrote a lot of redundancies. If there is anything else you wish for me to address regarding these translations, please feel free to ask me anything. As there is a readership, it is best to ensure it is written in the most understandably straightforward way possible.

Thanks for reading. I'll be here.

-Kan

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
To everyone:

First, Pit's page was (coincidentally) posted just a few minutes after the above posters were asking for it. However, it seems I do not have enough "points" to post the link.

Next:

Hello! I'm the translator of these pictures (from Kantopia), I came across the thread a week or two ago when I saw people were being linked to my page from here. I kept an eye to see if there were any issues or feedback. I appreciate the fact there is a local translator here who was verifying the information and ensuring accuracy of the info. You have my greatest thanks for pointing out potential errors (such as Little Mac's punch range, addressed below), as well as helping point out that I do indeed translate quite literally.

It always helps to have a second opinion/look over something.

I signed up here to remind people that they can reach me more immediately.. I had gotten no emails regarding potential errors, so felt maybe things were fine. But, I would follow up referral links to make sure all was well, and saw there were some minor issues (thank goodness, I was worried there was much worse...)

I feel it's much better when you can just ask or talk to the source directly,rather than being left to speculate how or why one thing or another was done. A reminder that I am not some strange third party entity that is out of reach.

And so, some points to address:

1-Literal Translations
My site started out as a personal portfolio to compare a localization decision to a literal translation. See how a localizer dealt with an issue by viewing the original material, and then deduce why they did what they did.

In this case, these scans were just a personal project that took off... and I realize I should use the officially localized name to reduce as much confusion as possible.

Admittedly, I have not been following this game too closely beyond these scans and character reveals, to keep the experience fresh to some extent. I may rectify this for your convenience (as I was not expecting much of a readership when I began...)

I am not familiar with a lot of the official lingo used for Smash Brothers, as I was mostly a solo player, and friends that I played with used slightly different terms than what I see on boards (having grown up abroad). That is pretty obvious from the translations, I assume.

2-Little Mac's Stun Punch Range:
I see what you [@Hong] mean by possibly understating the range in the way this was written out. Below is the transcript for that part:

限界まで溜めたパンチで相手を痺れさせる。パンチのて射程距離は長いが、攻撃をうけると怯んでしまう。

I took "genkai (限界)" to refer to his power build up, rather than the range. If taken as range, then yes indeed, that would mean incredibly long range. Having taken it as the power build up, I assumed that the punch stuns at full power, but not if only partially filled. I apologize for this mistake if "genkai" does indeed refer to range, rather than the amount of charge. The most misleading part was likely because the verb "tameta 溜めた" (to accumulate) followed. "A punch that stuns opponents at full power", rather than "A punch that reaches the limits to stun opponents."

Ah...the things that come with translating Japanese...

3-The 12 Miracles

[@Neo Zero]

Here is the line in question specifically:

通常のファイターは4種類の必殺ワザを持ち、カスタマイズができるが、パルテナはテレポートや反射盤など、12種類もの奇跡から4つを選んで必殺ワとして用いる。

"The usual fighters have four move types, but Palutena can customize moves like "teleport" and "reflect barrier"by selecting from the 12 miracles"

This is a quick re-visit very literal translation. I realize the way I wrote it out on the page was even more vague...but the impression I got from this meant that you can customize any special move to become any other special move. I doubted this though just from previous experience (in the older games), but figured it may be a new mechanic I was unaware of.

The native speaker you refer to would have the final say, as I would assume their translation skill would indeed be far superior.

---

I apologize for the lengthy post, and probably wrote a lot of redundancies. If there is anything else you wish for me to address regarding these translations, please feel free to ask me anything. As there is a readership, it is best to ensure it is written in the most understandably straightforward way possible.

Thanks for reading. I'll be here.

-Kan
I gotcha.

Hong

The Strongest
@ XKan XKan
Good work! I was actually going to tweet you about it, but I had a hunch you'd show up. :p

Let me personally thank you for putting these on the Internet and translating them for everyone to see. If anything about how you are accredited should be changed in the OP, just let me know. I guess I'll get around to adding your Twitter so people can get a hold of you if they are curious about the accuracy of information.

Here is the page for Pit:

Edit - :4greninja:

Last edited:

XKan

Smash Apprentice
Thank you very much, you two! Admittedly I was afraid of this site, you know, stereotypical stigma with those that don't play in one way or another, haha... but I looked around and you guys seem pretty cool. : )

You're very welcome. I was sure there were better translators out there, but I couldn't name many that put it back on the page... I thought that would be a nice, helpful way to go about things, and get good digital edit practice at the same time as translation.

I have no problems with the way things are now, no need to change any OPs around or anything! But if people get confused later on (that the translator is right here), then I guess it may be helpful if it comes to that.

Anyway. If you wanted to discuss those few points, I'll be more than happy to do so if anything needed further clarification.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, at least we now know the last "arrow" custom special being a strong piercing type that can't be controlled.. That's the only new data we got, along with more info on the slower arrows. I'm okay with it so far, though I'll still be looking forward to Pit's other custom specials and its data.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Anyway. If you wanted to discuss those few points, I'll be more than happy to do so while I'm still online!
Nah. It does indeed state it only stuns at full power, so nothing from me. :)

No problem on the literal translation thing. I just remember some users being confused as to whether or not something was changed or there was a new feature we didn't know about (such as Field Run VS Smash Run), so I'd figure I would just throw a disclaimer in there so that they know it's just that: A literal translation.

At the very least I can point out if something is indeed new or different as someone more invested into it. If there is a noteworthy discrepancy, I'll let you know.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'll definitely be using that piercing arrow. I was never a big fan of Pit's normal arrows.

The thing about Smashboards is that the people aren't toxic, it's really the threads. Some threads cause people to go a bit strange... I have had that effect on me at least once or twice but I would stay away from anything involving Melee, Brawl, characters, and if it seems like a complain, it's probably not safe.

With that, welcome to Smashboards and enjoy your stay! Contact any of us in this thread (Everyone here seems so swell) if you need any help.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
@ Hong Hong

Thank you again. That would be much appreciated. It really helps to have a second look on this sort of thing --especially translating a language such as Japanese over.

It would help to have an editor too for the English. It's my second language.

@ LeeYawshee LeeYawshee

Thanks a lot for the explanation and the welcome. I like the "toxic threads rather than people" way of stating it. Pretty interesting phenomena which strangely makes sense.

I plan to stick around until September when I get the game (as I assume that the Famitsu articles will end around then). But may look at a few other threads and avoid the ones you're talking about.

For translation updates, I fell a little behind schedule, but hope to have the fourth Famitsu page up tomorrow. I can still provide the raw scan if anyone wishes, however. The quick look at it looks like it'll be detailing some single player modes.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
@ Hong Hong

Thank you again. That would be much appreciated. It really helps to have a second look on this sort of thing --especially translating a language such as Japanese over.

It would help to have an editor too for the English. It's my second language.

@ LeeYawshee LeeYawshee

Thanks a lot for the explanation and the welcome. I like the "toxic threads rather than people" way of stating it. Pretty interesting phenomena which strangely makes sense.

I plan to stick around until September when I get the game (as I assume that the Famitsu articles will end around then). But may look at a few other threads and avoid the ones you're talking about.

For translation updates, I fell a little behind schedule, but hope to have the fourth Famitsu page up tomorrow. I can still provide the raw scan if anyone wishes, however. The quick look at it looks like it'll be detailing some single player modes.
I would love to see the raw scans. If you could post them before posting the translation that would be awesome. It would add this element of suspense.

Also, I like you. You're going to be just fine.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@ XKan XKan You'll be fine. I'm actually curious to see more of Pit's and Palutena's moves, taunts (and codecs if they have any), and other data once you get the game. I still wonder what Pit's other custom specials are, too. Pretty much I'm focused on all Kid Icarus content and such. Then again, it is understandable that I would want to know a lot about the characters that I'll be maining.

On a side note, I wonder what Bowser's custom specials (besides the fireball) are.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
@ LeeYawshee LeeYawshee

Thanks, you're helping making my stay easier. : ) Here. I uploaded it to my Twitter so you can save it. Then feel free to post it in here, as I still cannot link anything.

I think people can actually see it, but if they for some reason can't.

How about a fitting trailer with the catchiest tune ever:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
For a group of competitive gamers, the Smash community is great. :) I've been into competitive gaming for about 15 years (starting with early PC shooters), and I can say there is nothing else like it. I come and go with many different communities, but I've never left the Smash community. There's some salt here and there, but that aside they are (for the most part) a bunch of friendly and welcoming folks, and it's never hard to find help.
I would love to see the raw scans. If you could post them before posting the translation that would be awesome. It would add this element of suspense.
Well, the originals are always posted on the blog itself. I just tried my hardest to reduce screen real estate for the main post. That said, since it seems to be a hot request, I'll post the scans along with the translation for the individual posts in the future.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
@ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit

Thanks! : )

Sure, if anyone has any things they're curious in, I'll be glad to answer them! I had lived in Japan for awhile so already have the Japanese 3DS, though plan to download it as I learned only recently that foreign credit cards work on the Japanese eShop... I got a new SD card and everything ready, so this means I can get it as soon as it's released, I hope!

I assume others would be importing it too? Are you, @ Hong Hong ?

@ LeeYawshee LeeYawshee

Oh, okay, I saw just the twitter page rather than the direct image here, so wasn't sure. : )

@ Hong Hong

I post the originals exactly for the purpose of verification if there is any doubt, as well as for those genuinely curious. Glad it is put to good use!

Hong

The Strongest
I assume others would be importing it too? Are you, @ Hong Hong ?
Not myself. I am not in any rush (I'll be extremely busy in September), and generally only buy Japanese games when that is the only language I can get them in.

That said, we will have many users who will be picking up the Japanese version. Right now we're working out a way where we can gather people who own copies of the Japanese version and have them post in one place. We want a system where all the legitimate information can be found in one place, since the Internet will be no doubt rife with fraudulent claims. I'll make note of your intentions of picking up the Japanese version. :)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@ XKan XKan Super thanks! And will there be vids of this? I'm also curious of the JP Pit and Palutena voices compared to the upcoming English one, as well as a complete full display of their moves, from standard moves (including the get-up and ledge attacks), to all custom specials and their properties, the taunts like I mentioned before (and to my dismay of seeing them hurt, their grunts and Screen KOs). It'll like be a showcase of the 2 characters.
Oh yea, and all of their costumes too. I must know if there's a Gold Palutena to go with my Gold Pit. Is there anything else I'm missing for them?

XKan

Smash Apprentice
@ Hong Hong

Alright, sounds good! I'm a completionist so will likely explore every aspect there is to explore.

I plan to get it in English too when it comes out as I compare games directly this way, a bit of a bad spending habit, but I suppose I don't spend on much else... but glad there is interest for comparisons too!

Uh, as for videos/shots, I have no experience with any of that,...though I suppose I can upload things to MiiVerse in the way of screen shots, at least. Will of course mark them in "spoiler" tags for good measure of those who may want to avoid them. : ) Will notify you as we get closer to the date!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@HKan I can live with it. I approve of all the goodness Pit and Palutena will bring.

:4pit::4palutena: Team Skyworld, it's coming close.

I still wanna see other custom specials of the other characters though the 2 I named + Bowser are the only ones I truly care for. When players are gonna do those competitive 1v1s or doubles (with friends allow customs), using different custom specials can make a big difference in battle.

XKan

Smash Apprentice

Yeah... Famitsu is every Thursday (Japan time), and if they do two characters a week, then that means maybe 8 more fighters or so, and that's assuming nobody else is announced who they want to cover instead. So I wonder if they will be covered?

Of course, it is always possible that they will do a special lengthier weekly edition.

I agree about the customization aspects, it will make things very interesting even if the same fighters fight!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ XKan XKan

Just wanted to thank you for your hard work.

You're awesome!

Now, isn't there supposed to be a big Famistu reveal around the 12th or something?

XKan

Smash Apprentice
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei

Thanks, you awesomesaurus. : D

Apparently the big Famitsu news was supposed to be this issue, but my source didn't say there was anything spectacular of note regarding Smash Bros. or Hyrule Warriors (the two series I follow Famitsu to translate).

12th would be close to the next issue, however, so maybe? I haven't heard anything, though. ^^;

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Thanks, you awesomesaurus. : D

Apparently the big Famitsu news was supposed to be this issue, but my source didn't say there was anything spectacular of note regarding Smash Bros. or Hyrule Warriors (the two series I follow Famitsu to translate).

12th would be close to the next issue, however, so maybe? I haven't heard anything, though. ^^;
So we were misinformed?

I thought we were getting some big blowout of all of the content revealed so far or something...

XKan

Smash Apprentice

I just did a quick net search about "Famitsu big reveal" and am running into the same things, "big reveal next issue" (being the one that just came out)

Considering the digital version was distributed... I suppose whatever big news there was hasn't been noted anywhere? But that would be strange, huh?

I don't see the whole magazine, just the two series I listed above, which is why I figured maybe it was a reveal for a game that is unrelated... though, the Hyrule Warriors section was pretty big with a ton of details on their latest Nintendo Direct that was a few days ago. Maybe they meant that...

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@ XKan XKan I thank you for fielding my question/concerns, as well, thank you for all the hard work you've done currently, and I look forward to seeing what other tidbits you'll bring to light.

Also welcome to the forums, we hope you enjoy your stay : )

XKan

Smash Apprentice
@ Neo Zero Neo Zero

Thank you! And you are most welcome! Glad I could be of some help to you.

A great avatar you have, too. : )

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Biggest thanks for your hard work @ XKan XKan , I hope you keep at it! If there's anyway, can I repost these to Tumblr for other people to see? I'll make sure to credit you.

EDIT: Wait, someone posted it already, it seems...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So we were misinformed?

I thought we were getting some big blowout of all of the content revealed so far or something...
That's Coro Coro that's going to give us that, that's a different magazine that releases on the 12th.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's Coro Coro that's going to give us that, that's a different magazine that releases on the 12th.
Coro Coro, Famitsu, Playboy, Nintendo Power, Sports Ilustrated...

They all just kind of blend together... :p

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Hey...does anyone notice how one of Rosalina's custom down specials is unique from the other two? Maybe Palutena won't be the only one to get the unique custom move treatment? (God, Mario should have the Star Spin for custom downB and DK should have a Barrel Throw attack)...
Palutena's are unique by the logic of: they are not clones of each other

Rosalina still does the same motions for gravitational Pull in the custom moves, it's just the effect that is different, think Pk Flash/PK Freeze

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Palutena's are unique by the logic of: they are not clones of each other

Rosalina still does the same motions for gravitational Pull in the custom moves, it's just the effect that is different, think Pk Flash/PK Freeze
I think it's incorrect to state that.

I think of the changes in Rosalina's down specials as "well Rosalina herself does the same animation but she may as well have a different one because the uses of the specials are so different". They are a far cry from the difference between PK Flash and PK Freeze.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I think it's incorrect to state that.

I think of the changes in Rosalina's down specials as "well Rosalina herself does the same animation but she may as well have a different one because the uses of the specials are so different". They are a far cry from the difference between PK Flash and PK Freeze.
but it's the easiest comparison to make here, because the changes between those moves are more drastic than all other cloned specials since it's not just a "faster and weaker" vs "strong and slow" thing that most cloned moves have going on.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
but it's the easiest comparison to make here, because the changes between those moves are more drastic than all other cloned specials since it's not just a "faster and weaker" vs "strong and slow" thing that most cloned moves have going on.
But PK Flash and PK Freeze are not all that different. One blasts you off and is slower to maneuver, one freezes you and is slower to maneuver.

One of Rosalina's down specials is a straight up attack (Catch & Release), another is purely defense oriented as well as having some spacing perks (Gravitational Pull), and one seems like a counter of sorts (Luma Guardian).

In ways, I think that's actually much more varied than Palutena's three neutrals, since they are all at least, ranged attacks. One is a quick 3 shot homing missile that's kinda weak, one is a slower, but manually aimed projectile that's also bigger and stronger, and one simply covers a whole space around her, but doesn't make people flinch.

----------------------

Can't wait to see the single player translation. I'm guessing that world map screen is from a new Classic Mode after all, which might be disappointing, but I'm still intrigued either way.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Is it just me or do both of those Pit arrow variations seem better than default? The first one screams to me "dominate the space in front of you" while the second is more like "be a really huge jerk to recovering opponents", both of which are pretty appealing prospects and both of which seem really match-up centric in terms of which would be better (the giant arrow also seems like it would have a lot of application in doubles since it pierces). I do wonder if they're choosing to show off just the most interesting special variations per character or if we can expect for choices this intersting to be typical.

Top Bottom