• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Famitsu Fighter Profiles (Updated 9/10)

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
While I was playing the 3DS Smash Run demo at Smash Fest, Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing did in fact heal without the need to hit an enemy. I've seen it heal around 1-4%.

Also, Deep Breathing is not required for Sun Salutation to heal. Sun Salutation does not heal you, however, when it is charging, it only heals when it is being used as a projectile.

Deep Breathing by itself can heal, however. Naturally, you need to time it right.
I never knew this until today. I should have frequented the WFT boards more. WFT for an All-Star run with no heart recovery.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I never knew this until today. I should have frequented the WFT boards more. WFT for an All-Star run with no heart recovery.
Haha, good idea, but Sakurai is a pretty smart guy. I bet all the healing is disabled in the All Star waiting room though All Star may be completely restructured (he's already said the myriad assist trophies will play into it; how is anyone's guess).

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I like the menu screens in this article, you can really tell that Kid Icarus Uprising was the last game Sakurai worked on.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
This person has been posting translations of the Famitsu scans featuring those new screenshots (about Robin, Lucina, Capt Falcon, WFT, Little Mac and Rosalina).

http://kantopia.wordpress.com/category/translation/video-games/super-smash-brothers/

Interestingly enough, the Famitsu scans appear to have info about a couple custom moves for WFT, Little Mac and Rosalina each. There's information about the other characters as well, but it doesn't seem to be anything too interesting.

WFT Neutral B:
Sun Salutation - this move supposedly heals WFT in its normal form
"Pushing Sun Worship" - this variant is slower and pushes opponents back while hitting them multiple times
"Concentrate Sun Worship" - this variant charges faster but doesn't heal

Additionally - WFT's up-B can travel further if you mash the button

Little Mac Neutral B:
"Numbing Straight" - when fully powered it stuns opponents, but Mac loses the super armor while charging
"Engulfing Fire Straight" - adds flame effect, charges faster, but deals less damage

Rosalina Down B: (standard: Gravitational Pull)
"Catch & Release" - she pulls in opponents and tosses them away, but no longer attracts items
"Guardian Luma" - Luma gets larger and protects Rosalina

Maybe there's something wrong with these translations, if so sorry. The layout of the Famitsu scans and the screens certainly suggest that they're custom moves, though.

Hong

The Strongest
@ Erimir Erimir
I moved your thread into this one, since this is a weekly sort of deal, and I figure we'll have one thread for it as new content comes in.

That said, I am thankful that you brought these new ones to our attention. I can indeed verify the translations. A bit rough, but they get the idea across.

Most interesting that Rosalina's Gravitational Pull has what seems to be a command grab for an alternative. Hope this will be the case for other specials like Pocket which had literally no purpose in some match-ups.

Edit - Added them to the OP.

Edit 2 - Also added the Robin/Lucina/Falcon scans from before, just so we can have them all in one place.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's nice to know that Gravitational Pull has an option for a less item-centered function. In fact, it's nice to realize that you can turn what you deem useless moves to practical ones, depending on the options given. (-l3l-)

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I know it's not a character profile and would probably raise a butt-load of work - plus it might be known already - but I just want to raise awareness of this thing.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Is that the reappearance of Onett?

What I'd give for a Threed stage :(

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
The Onett picture is from Melee as can be seen by the UI, hopefully we'll get another Earthbound stage than that.
That's good news. I can barely make it out - but my macbook is tiny and so is that image.

Don't get me wrong, Onett is home after all - but after FINALLY playing Earthbound... there's so much out there to work with, and New Pork City was rather disappointing (but I have yet to play Mother 3). Hell, upon reflection so is Fourside. WHAT IS FOURSIDE WITHOUT MOONSIDE?

DO YOU WANT MOONSIDE?

YES/NO?

ME EITHER!

Hong

The Strongest
Information on Palutena has been released, and added to the OP. For your convenience, you can find it below as well.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So Palutena's neutral specials are Auto-reticle, Heavenly Light and Explosive Flame. Seems like Auto-reticle is the default one.

Reflect, Angelic Missile and Super Speed are her side specials. Reflect appears to be the default one.

Counter, Celestial Firework and Lightweight are the down specials. No idea which is default, though it looks like it's counter.

As expected, Warp, Jump Glide and Rocket Jump are her Up specials and it looks like Warp is the default.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Information on Palutena has been released, and added to the OP. For your convenience, you can find it below as well.

Questions:

1) Orange bird on the 2nd page, right column, middle picture?
2) I'm sure they wouldn't make a careless error, but can anyone tell who the characters are in her final smash? I see Bowser and Samus, but can't make out the 3rd.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Questions:

1) Orange bird on the 2nd page, right column, middle picture?
2) I'm sure they wouldn't make a careless error, but can anyone tell who the characters are in her final smash? I see Bowser and Samus, but can't make out the 3rd.
1. Fletchling from X/Y
2. I think it's Link.

Hong

The Strongest
1) Indeed. I don't know anything about Pokemon past 151, but it's that dumb bird thing that continuously hops into enemies.
2) Above says Link, but when I zoomed in as much as I could, best I got was Pit, due to the angular vambrace.

Also for everyone: I just want to state that the translations are very literal, so the special moves will have different names from what you are used to.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Interesting, Palutena has some pretty unique moves (except Teleport :mewtwomelee:). It's going to be interesting to see how they're all balanced out.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
So default Down Special seems to be Counter? Honestly, I'd rather have Celestial Fireworks as default considering it seems to have super armor and more personality put into it. Not a big fan of more counter attacks (:4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth:) but I suppose it'll do.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Hey...does anyone notice how one of Rosalina's custom down specials is unique from the other two? Maybe Palutena won't be the only one to get the unique custom move treatment? (God, Mario should have the Star Spin for custom downB and DK should have a Barrel Throw attack)...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Disappointed by yet another counter, but dat Aegis Reflector for Palutena as default. I thought she was Not-Dormammu. She's actually Not-Urien.

Hong

The Strongest
Interesting, Palutena has some pretty unique moves (except Teleport :mewtwomelee:). It's going to be interesting to see how they're all balanced out.
Also note how the article mentions that she can elongate battles, even on smaller stages.

This information, combined with the normals we have seen thus far, suggests she is a zoning-based fighter as many of us expected her to be, even before her debut. Light Weight will allow for more offensive play for sure, though in the end her normals will still present some limitations for her aggression if they are as slow as they seemed in the trailer.

Only bummer about her defaults seems to be Counter.
Hey...does anyone notice how one of Rosalina's custom down specials is unique from the other two? Maybe Palutena won't be the only one to get the unique custom move treatment? (God, Mario should have the Star Spin for custom downB and DK should have a Barrel Throw attack)...
I think moves that don't really require unique assets will still be a thing. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Villager can use his net as an alternative form of Pocket.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Doesn't this deconfirmed Dark Pit or any other Kid Icarus characters?

It says two fighters from Kid Icarus join the fray.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One of the key things with her zoning will be that autoaim can limit approaches because it appears to fire at an angle.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Also note how the article mentions that she can elongate battles, even on smaller stages.

This information, combined with the normals we have seen thus far, suggests she is a zoning-based fighter as many of us expected her to be, even before her debut. Light Weight will allow for more offensive play for sure, though in the end her normals will still present some limitations for her aggression if they are as slow as they seemed in the trailer.

Only bummer about her defaults seems to be Counter.
I think moves that don't really require unique assets will still be a thing. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Villager can use his net as an alternative form of Pocket.
Yeah but's nice to see moves being a little more different (Although EVERY character should be like Palutena custom-moves wise). I mean, I don't get what's so hard about giving Mario...say, Fire Balls, Ice Balls and Super Balls. Cape, Wing Cap Glide and Cat Pounce. FLUDD, Star Spin (Mario Tornado) and Statue Mario. And Super Jump Punch, Sling Star and Rocket Nozzle...see? I just made up 8 customizable moves for Mario on the spot, all canon and all unique from each other, it's not hard. Maybe for characters with little source material they could do the whole variation bull****, but with characters that have tons of games to draw from? That's just unacceptable.

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Her hair doesn't seem stiff in these screens! Or it could just be me.

I'm happy with her auto ret, I was hoping for the fireworks though

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
A couple of Palutena's moves seem odd. I can't picture her doing the Luigi/Pikachu side special.
I wish other characters with a broader history in nintendo had such a wide array of attacks, as the above poster mentioned. (For Mario I'd like to see Fireballs, Ice Balls, Fludd, Ground Pound, Cape, Tornado)

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
One of the key things with her zoning will be that autoaim can limit approaches because it appears to fire at an angle.
Indeed. Her ftilt and usmash as well seem to provide land and ground coverage, respectively. Without Lightweight, she has plenty of reason to end up being a fighter who doesn't move around much. The slower fighters such as Ike and Bowser will probably require a lot of patience for this match-up.

Neo Zero

Love the scans as always. However, something that appears overlooked.

"she has 12 types of miracles like "teleport" and "reflect" that she can select instead"

Instead implies that at the very least, these two options aren't default. Yet they're listed as 1 in both categories. As such, I believe we're not any closer to knowing her default moves. Also @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei what are they supposed to say? "Two fighters from KI, but still one hidden". You're looking to far into that headline, it doesn't deconfirm anything.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Indeed. Her ftilt and usmash as well seem to provide land and ground coverage, respectively. Without Lightweight, she has plenty of reason to end up being a fighter who doesn't move around much. The slower fighters such as Ike and Bowser will probably require a lot of patience for this match-up.
Zelda, on the other hand, may prove to be a nightmare for her.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Zelda, on the other hand, may prove to be a nightmare for her.
YES. Especially if auto-reticle can be Nayru'd. Actually, the two of them would be a pretty BA match-up. The Goddess Palutena against Princess Zelda, the Goddess Hylia's incarnate descendant. Just imagine the two of them teleporting around, blasting the heck out of each other. Of course, my bias says that Zelda inches Palutena out. ^__^

Speaking of, I'm waiting for Zelda to get her own Famitsu article. I'm really interested to see what custom moves she's getting.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Sounds like she'll have issues with killing. I noticed under Rocket Jump it says she doesn't have a good jump (could either mean her or the move itself), but it could explain why she has better than average recovery options.

Would rather have the more flashy moves as her defaults, but they definitely seem to have thought through her well balance wise from what we know about her so far. I can definitely see Little Mac being an interesting match for her given his mobility/super armor and her potential edge guarding abilities.

Hong

The Strongest
YES. Especially if auto-reticle can be Nayru'd. Actually, the two of them would be a pretty BA match-up. The Goddess Palutena against Princess Zelda, the Goddess Hylia's incarnate descendant. Just imagine the two of them teleporting around, blasting the heck out of each other. Of course, my bias says that Zelda inches Palutena out. ^__^
They can't wait to fight each other, either.
Speaking of, I'm waiting for Zelda to get her own Famitsu article. I'm really interested to see what custom moves she's getting.
Personally, as far as veterans go, I really want to hear about Ike. I got to have some hint that he's alright. @~@

Since they seem to be focusing on newcomers, as far as those go, I hope we get Pac-Man next.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
A lot of this stuff is really making me further interested in the merits of the custom move system. Those Rosalina variations we saw seem like they could really change how she plays (default gravitation seems really bad, but the two alternates seem useful in diferent ways), and she was not one of the characters who allegedly had very especially unique custom variations. With Palutena that's not the set of moves i'd instantly go for as a player (Super Dash sounds super interesting, and Fireworks as a projecitle with i-frames seems a lot more inherently useful than a counter), but her default set does make sense to me. I really do get a sense that this system just might add a ton of depth to the game even if some of the options seem really questionable (why would I ever want to get rid of the armor on Little Mac's neutral special?), and I am loving these columns just because of the custom variations it's showing us.

Hong

The Strongest
I really do get a sense that this system just might add a ton of depth to the game even if some of the options seem really questionable (why would I ever want to get rid of the armor on Little Mac's neutral special?), and I am loving these columns just because of the custom variations it's showing us.
Well, I can chime in on this.

While I don't translate these, I do verify them. What the translator mentioned, but under-emphasized, is that the stun punch is supposed to go really far. I wouldn't be surprised if it could cover great ranges, even on a low charge. IMO it may have merit on characters who have projectiles with a lot of lag either before or after the attack

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So default Down Special seems to be Counter? Honestly, I'd rather have Celestial Fireworks as default considering it seems to have super armor and more personality put into it. Not a big fan of more counter attacks (:4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth:) but I suppose it'll do.
Celestial Firework has invincibility frames back in KIU, as do all "summon" powers. CF is notable because it was spammable in every sense. Fast, and tons of uses. It'll probably deal 1% due to it's status as a joke power, though. Didn't do much in KIU either.

A couple of Palutena's moves seem odd. I can't picture her doing the Luigi/Pikachu side special.
I wish other characters with a broader history in nintendo had such a wide array of attacks, as the above poster mentioned. (For Mario I'd like to see Fireballs, Ice Balls, Fludd, Ground Pound, Cape, Tornado)
That's about what it did in KIU, but Palutena pulls it off much more gracefully. Pit ends up on the ground when he does it.

"she has 12 types of miracles like "teleport" and "reflect" that she can select instead"
Thought I'd chime in and say that miracles = powers, if there was any doubt. The original Japanese translations called them miracles.

Neo Zero

@ Hong Hong in that case, care to chime in on my "instead" point I made earlier? That alone, if correct, discredits the moves listed as #1 to being default automatically

Hong

The Strongest
@ Hong Hong in that case, care to chime in on my "instead" point I made earlier? That alone, if correct, discredits the moves listed as #1 to being default automatically
I think the fragments were allocated incorrectly. I think the text is describing them as being among the options you have available, not necessarily ones that you have to manually choose differently.

Edit - Of course, since some of our forum members actively live in Japan, they are free to look at the originals if I am mistaken.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
The more I see them, the more convinced I am that custom moves should be legal. The idea of adjusting to different match-ups sounds way too fun.

I'm a bit confused on some of this though. What exactly does the giant Luma special do? Make him bigger for a bit? Make him bigger for an attack? Turn him into a shield? And the Palutena article says that they were gonna show off Pit as well. Is there a page missing?

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
The more I see them, the more convinced I am that custom moves should be legal. The idea of adjusting to different match-ups sounds way too fun.

I'm a bit confused on some of this though. What exactly does the giant Luma special do? Make him bigger for a bit? Make him bigger for an attack? Turn him into a shield? And the Palutena article says that they were gonna show off Pit as well. Is there a page missing?
The giant Luma does protect her, indeed.

Top Bottom