• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: ROB the motha****in Robot

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
heh id have to... wait your entitled to your preference. XD

lol kidding, i like both and both have their pros and cons
but i feel my mindgames and ability to read my opponents has certainly gotten better without the reliance on the advanced techs of melee. (although i have fantasized about a wavedashing ROB spacing his fsmashes and running away to spam lasers and gyros every now and then...)

and on that note, i feel like i cant play melee anymore because of the different styles of play o_O

aaaanyway back on topic....

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
^ i actually played melee last night... revealed how disjointed the gameplay feels in brawl now. but YES back on topic.
i find people like to spam side steps to d smashes a lot and if perfect shielded they can be punished... not sure how noob this is but i thought i'd put in my two cents

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere near the top, but exact placing is kinda difficult considering how many clear match-ups he has. His placing kinda depends on how everyone else's placing will settle down.
I can agree.
He does really well
But there things that seem just impossible. lol
DDD CG liek a maniac
Wario can get a safe hit in and back away if he hits or is shielded
Then Olimar and Lucario although easily gymped can stil ldo alot of mess against ROB
and Snake idc what anyone says I think Snake is also neutral against ROB.

chckn

Smash Ace
I can agree.
He does really well
But there things that seem just impossible. lol
DDD CG liek a maniac
Wario can get a safe hit in and back away if he hits or is shielded
Then Olimar and Lucario although easily gymped can stil ldo alot of mess against ROB
and Snake idc what anyone says I think Snake is also neutral against ROB.
First of all, if you camp and gyro/laser spam ddd is managable, secondly what are you talking about wario can get a safe hit??? Olimar/Lucario should be fairly easy matchups for R.O.B as well. The only serious matchup problems for R.O.B are zelda, mk and gw. R.O.B is a solid high tier imo.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
A good trick to fighting ROBs is to string them along.

ROB is heavy enough that he takes a while to directly KO, and while it kind of hurts, it's better to just keep on racking up damage without KOing. I've found that waiting until like 110% or thereabouts for some of the lighter characters makes it so you can directly KO him.

No up B recovery for him.

His Nair is wonderful. Easily one of my favorite killing moves (Since his Fsmash is kind of weak and air is ROB's game anyway). If you edgeguard like crazy and use his Fly to keep on them, a quick Nair as they approach can rock them off the park.

ROB is amazing, easily a strong competitor for my main.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
First of all, if you camp and gyro/laser spam ddd is managable, secondly what are you talking about wario can get a safe hit??? Olimar/Lucario should be fairly easy matchups for R.O.B as well. The only serious matchup problems for R.O.B are zelda, mk and gw. R.O.B is a solid high tier imo.
Well I know that but theres one thing . . . the people I play are PROFESSIONALS!!!
Aero, HugS, BarDull, Ajax, Edge, Teba ect.
Pro's know how to deal with camping easily.
Smart Olimar and Lucario players are just as hard too.
An easy match up for ROB is Wolf.
Lucario and Olimar played masterfully could win easily.
Zelda not so much shes easy
MK I have a little bit of trouble but havent lost to any MK yet.
G&W same as MK very hard but havent lost to one yet.
Yes, I know ROB is high tier . . . thats why I agreed.

P.S. and what I mean is that Wario is pretty hard too, look up Futile who easily the best Wario around and the best So-Cal player.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I agree with Shadow about Snake being neutral...a tip: stay out of tilt range so he's forced in the air, and if you see him start to run at ALL just dtilt or dsmash [or roll toward him]...he'll probably be mortar sliding [mid/high level (Read: not pro) Snakes will spam that quite a bit when you stay out of their tilt range and avoid their walking bull****]

I always had relatively close matches with the best Snake in our area and I hardly have any experience against good Snakes. Just don't fall for his bull****. He will try to force you to approach through faking vulnerability as well as annoyance.

SHADOW: you haven't lost to an MK?!?! please explain. Do they not spam mach tornado every second? and do they not walk you off the sides with backward-facing dairs? The second one is more manageable. I can try to camp the tornado but I eat way too much damage from it and it ends up being the one reason I lose to MKs :( [I've beat them in tourney, but still...that ****ing tornado]. I know that Fsmash and bair can work, but fsmash is haaaard and bair is slow...

if I powershield the tornado, will it not drain my shield?

Also: omfg...Wario. There's only one good Wario in our area [though he moved back home for the summer :(] and he's scary good. Everything I've seen of WC Warios is a lot like his [as far as getting the hit in and backing away to safety...****'s like Jiggz in Melee :(] Gives me way too much trouble.

Olimar also knocked me out of my first tourney...he's tricky. The basic way to counter what he does isn't to try and figure out wtf Olimar is doing because in high stress times it's hard to figure exactly what he's doing...instead you have to know how to play AS Olimar, and know what he would do in a given situation. It's more prediction and caution than it is reaction and punishment.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Well first off, this is interesting, being pretty much a tournie deprived Brawl player and seeing all the expert opinions.
Second off... The purple...my eyes...
Third off- Noob thoughts on zelda.
Zelda is mainly a spacing reliant game in which she has nearly free targets with her Din's fire to anything in front of her, and the ability to reflect projectiles with no lag.
Most Zelda's I fight, and thats not a whole lot will spam Din, and then I can SH or hop and aim down with my laser. The laser then bounces off the ground, hitting zelda, stopping the din's controllable release. If they realize I'm doing this, they will either aim it at ROB, or aim it at the ground or release it early. If they aim it at ROB, and ROB's laser connects, they lose control and it explodes in the air behind and above ROB. If they aim it at the ground, ROB is high enough that when it detonates on impact with the ground it won't hit ROB because he jumped. If they stop the Din and go to cast Nayru, and they cast it successfully, bouncing the laser, it will bounce back and hit the ground. (This is really hard to time and you have to jump VERY early in this, otherwise you will get hit with the fire exploding before you finish your laser.)
That being said, ROB has the ability to utilize his range attacks at a faster speed then Zelda does, and whenever its a faceoff between the two, I think ROB would have the upper hand.
Next is Zelda's aerials, which are pretty lackluster making her easily camped and gives her a harder time spiking.
I really think that MK and Pit can be difficult at times, because they have fast starting aerials, whereas ROB has very slow aerials such as his nair, dair and bair. My main tactic against those 2 is just to stay away from their kill moves, aerials and use Pit's arrow spamming to my advantage.
Well those are my thoughts as a non-pro. Anyone more experienced want to comment?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I've found that the Gyromite is useful against Zelda if only because it can interrupt her Din's Fire really easy. As can the Laser.

A good strategy to avoid getting Nayru's Love'd is to wait until she goes into Din's Fire mode and gyro/beam her, maybe both.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
i wouldn't say "easy"

Ike is one of ROB's easiest matchups. The edgeguarding is so easy it is almost laughable, and Ike has a lot of trouble hurting ROB from below, which is ROB's biggest weakness.

So many things ROB can do; one laser, one gyro, one b-throw to double fair... anything to force him to use his over-b results in death. Especially since ROB can utilize Ike's over-b's bad quality of swinging and missing at anything slightly above or below him and stopping mid-swing! ROB's spot dodge also owns Ike's aerial approach, which allows ROB to manhandle Ike as he pleases.
i think in a R.O.B. v. Ike matchup, it all comes down to the better player.
with items on or off, no matter how lucky someone is, no matter what stage, it's all about skill. R.O.B. does have his advantages (superior edge-guarding, great revovery up+B, and a little more speed), but so does ike (side+B for getting launched far, Up+b for being stuck at the edge, dair and counter help alot when coming down on top of ike, and up+a even though its slow)

I don't know a single person that's good at brawl, so i play against teams of three CPUs set on 9. i played on norfair after picking random
My greatest techniques were: ike's counter, then up+a (this was very helpful. one would dodge it, but i'd launched two pretty far, occaisionally getting a KO). also side+b helped me alot after getting launched far (i'd fall right behind them, they'd get one uncharged attack on me, before i could recover)

the R.O.B.s on the other hand, edge-guarding VERY well, my only defense was aether, but it didn't work but like 40% of the time. when i did get an edge-hang, i came up with a B and got the one or two that were still up there. they also had me if i got any distance away with lasers and gyros. when one tryed to combat me in the air, it was a close duel.

in the end i won by two, due to my abilty to roll and quickly attack them (uncharged). I also could come down on the one that stayed on the ground with a dair.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
my brother plays ROB and he is really annoying
i can beat him with Yoshi sometimes but geez his recovery is ridiculous, hes got great reach, and is actually pretty quick

good at messing up recoveries too

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, i haven't used R.O.B. since i first unlocked him, i've been using ike, captain falcon, wario, wolf, lucario, and i'm still good with kirby even though i don't use him alot.

I used to love his aerials, spin, up+a, and lazer. i got alot better since i last used him.
will i have to change my strategy to use hime again? what strategies do you recommend?

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
why does zelda beat rob in your opinion OS?
i might could answer that.
they both have awesome long-range attacks, and zelda can spam with hers.
zelda also has great throwing. and she has powerful attacks.
she can also turn into sheik, and her speed might be a problem for r.o.b. players.
their recovery move (teleport) owns, and is one of the few things that can get past r.o.b.s edge-guarding.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
why does zelda beat rob in your opinion OS?
From the stage, she can kill you vertically and horizontally due to her u-air and fair/bair, respectively.

Her din's fire can be used to gimp you out of your up+b, or at least make you really creative wijth how you get back to the stage. Since you can't air dodge, you have to time a nair/bair with the din's fire or do an aerial out of your up+b so you can air dodge.

Her reflector makes glide tossing and spamming painful.

Her u-smash is great out of shield and puts you in a dangerous position at all times.

Just a hard matchup against a good Z.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
well i guess you're right OS, i usually use nariu's love as an attack to get people of my back, never as a reflector (i didn't even know it was). i usually use sheik to rack up damage, and then use zelda to launch people cuz of her strong attacks.
this new information will help me alot against r.o.b. i used to have a painfully slow fight, and roll like crazy to beat him with ike. now i'll beat him alot faster.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, stick to Zelda when you're really trying to win unless you're just way better with Sheik. Zelda's pretty good in this game, especially against ROB. She's one of the few characters that ROB has to really think about how to recover against; normally ROB's up B lets ROB set the pace of getting back to the stage.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
you can angle your laser to reflect into the ground. spamming still works, thus zelda has to approach. Am I wrong?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
you can angle your laser to reflect into the ground. spamming still works, thus zelda has to approach. Am I wrong?
Except it still doesn't damage her. You could also just not shoot a laser if you were ahead in %, the problem is you can't spam.

chckn

Smash Ace
imo a zelda matchup calls for more agressive play as well as gyro/glidetoss use. If you sit back then you eat din fire

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
i agree with Chckn.
agressive play is the way to beat zelda. i use zelda and sheik in a combonation to beat r.o.b. because most R.O.B.s are campy and use projectiles, so i can just run up on him, weaken him with sheik (while he runs, using aerials to get me away). and then take him down with zeldas powerful attacks.

i used to use R.O.B. all the time, i played very aggressively. if someone tries to get away, i'll power my gyro, hit 'em with a laser, and run back on 'em (keeping the gyro just in case they get away again).

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
R.O.B is the character I hate to play against the most, especially those spam happy ROB's D_D
Its way too hard getting in range, and when you do they either dodge or use their d-smash, or both xD
BTW, using projectiles versus ROB isnt too effective, I play Toon Link and I am a spammer of his projectiles, but a ROB who knows how to use the beam and the gyro well can stop almost everything, especially because the Gyro stops bombs, boomerangs and arrows -_-
Although I also main Zelda, and with her I dont have as much problems as I do with Toon Link and Wario. I basically just dodge, use b when I see he's throwing something and Din's fire when he is away. And when I can, the smashes =B

Sudai

Stuff here
I really don't find Zelda to be that hard of a match-up, though it could be that my main partner mains Zelda. Din's is too easy to avoid, just jump and laser when you see them start the animation. They're either gonna angle it up (to hit you while you jump) or down (in hopes that you'll land in it). If they angle it up, good **** cause it won't hit you when you land. If they angle it down, you have ample time to move/double jump to avoid it. Zelda has to approach ROB. Also, shooting a gyro to bait the Naru's love then follow the endlag with a laser (a bit hard to time, but works) is effective. Just be careful because then she can glide toss your gyro to approach you. Her glide toss is just as ridiculous as ROBs. lol

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
...I dont have as much problems as I do with Toon Link and Wario.
Wario? i used to always use wario, not main, ALWAYS USE. he has great hand-to-hand, which is good, cuz alot of R.O.B.s play aggressivly, me included. when i use r.o.b., i play aggressivly and roll away to use projectiles for a sec and go back to close-range. Wario has good hand-to-hand and as someone starts to roll, wario can use the bike to get them. even with bike's lag, it get's most people by the time they get out of their roll. wario also can grab good, cuz he has grab, and bite.

playing against wario with R.O.B. is kinda easy, if you play aggressively, though. you can grab him, throw him to get distance, and then charge your gyro, or hit him with lasers.

i think, depending on how you play, wario v. R.O.B. is a good matchup.

Top Bottom