• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: ROB the motha****in Robot

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
/tweaks out at the mention of nerfing Pit's arrows = nerfring Pit. lol

Can one of the next WCDs be on Pit... >_>

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Well I wasn't saying that for Pit as a whole, just in this matchup. I know Pit's a nice character, ****s up my Marth really really badly, but maybe that's just because my Marth is garbs. But it just seems to be such a nice counter, even without arrows. I was only saying that Pit's arrows are by far the best chance Pit has at frustrating a good ROB.

Lol, no of course he's not all arrows. He's also got sidestep+smash.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
lol I was just messing around. I troll the Brawl Rooms now just looking for someone to say all Pit is is arrows. >_>

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
How have I managed to go without saying a word on R.O.B, I'm ashamed. Of course I'm vacation and won't be home until the 15th, so... I will add my two cents later.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
All I know is that played correctly, gaw makes recovering impossible, and approaching is really difficult as well. Blackmage's gaw destroyed me tonight off the stage. He was just so agressive as to make it impossible to return.

The best way i've found thus far is to spam f-tilt and d-tilt to out space gaw manhole on the ground, and I believe his f-air goes even with the credit card in the air. Definitely do not play against gaw on a flat level in this match-up, he'll destroy you. platforms are your friend.

D

Deleted member

pit is all arrows.

totally.
I actually agree with this entirely.

Overswarm said:
ROB takes a lot of patience and a lot more spacing than anyone else.
In a game with broken shield mechanics and a lack of technical ability to punish stalling, I'm starting to think it's your playstyle that is good in Brawl moreso than your character.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In a game with broken shield mechanics and a lack of technical ability to punish stalling, I'm starting to think it's your playstyle that is good in Brawl moreso than your character.
Perhaps. Regardless, it seems I've won the character lottery. ROB fits my playstyle perfectly. :)

As for G&W edgeguarding... it is vicious. :(

I often am forced to trick G&W to recover. While this is normal for some characters, ROB normally just beasts his way through. You can't even up+b all the way to the top of the center of the stage and land because it uses all your fuel and he can u-air stall you all day! Such a hard matchup for ROB.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well after playing blackmage some more tonight i'd have to say that fitting in the n-air and f-air is KEY. As is super gay edgeguards. But in all honesty, this is by FAR the toughest match-up, it's downright frustrating.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I would venture to say that G&W counters ROB about as heavily as I've seen in this game. ROB definitely has some things against G&W, but nothing that great. I find myself often walking around and f-tilting him out of his landing lag from aerials doing less than 10% per hit and just hoping I can hit him with a nair or u-smash. :(

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Pretty interesting even if it is annoying as hell to watch or play against.

But what about Smashville? What are you going to do, follow the moving platform until it leaves the stage then jump on it while it's beyond the ledge? lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I agree with that. The only thing I could add to it really is to NOT forward-air combo him unless he's off the stage and you can get back before he up+bs. It's better to hit him off the stage, make him up+b, then throw him off and repeat. It just takes longer.

Well, that and falling u-airs destroy D3 as much as they destroy Pit. I've been looking a lot into this matchup since playing Dope's new and improved D3 and the games being so close. That was just unnecessary!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ROB is awesome. He has practically everything you could ever want in a character. Unfortunately for ROB, what he has is rarely the BEST of what you could want with the exception of his recovery. So, ROB has to work a bit harder than other characters; but just because he isn't easy to play doesn't mean he isn't awesome! ROB has several weak spots, including beneath him, behind him, and anything at a 9 o'clock position (if ROB is the center of the clock) is totally safe from ROB. That means platforms really hurt him! ROB also has several good and bad matchups, and it seems that he is one of the few characters that is showing true one-sided matchups (for good or worse) already. Expect to see more ROB mainers out there in the next few months!

Seison

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested to know why the general consensus regarding the Falco vs. ROB matchup is that it is bad for Falco. I've never had too much trouble with ROB -- He's a huge target for lasers, and his spinning reflector move isn't very good. If you can get through his wall of projectiles that he's undoubtedly spamming from off-stage, then he can be spiked as well.

Falco's reflector is invaluable against ROB, and he is even susceptible to variations of the chainthrow (ie. d-throw --> d-air -->repeat OR d-throw --> Dash attack --> U-smash (boosted, or w/e we're calling it these days. lol DLX hit-canceled)

Finally, Falco has some fairly good options for attacking ROB from below should the opportunity present itself, and some good priority to go with them.

I'm not saying that ROB is easily beaten by Falco by any means, and I admit that I haven't played against any really good ROBs, but it seems to me that Falco would do quite well against him, as he has in my experience. OS, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this match-up (as well as anyone else who can contribute)

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Everything said here is pretty much things I've seen when playing ROB.

Nair, bair, fsmash, and usmash all can kill but once they are used before 100% they have pretty much lost their killing potential. There are other killing options, like chaining fairs off the stage, fully charged gyros or b-throw at high percent to charged laser, but those are situational. At least fairs are useful from just SH's or chained from dash attacks, it's pretty easy to throw them in.

Recovery is ridiculous. I don't think that needs to be said. You can go underneath basically any stage with ease mixing bairs and his third jump. For movement on the ground, I've found that just walking is useful to keep spacing with f-tilt. His f-tilt range is pretty crazy, and the end lag is decent enough that you can throw it out without too much fear for repercussions. D-tilt is good for spacing too, as it's pretty easy to spam, has a hitbox in front and slightly behind ROB, and it makes the opponent trip nearly half the time.

Projectiles with him are fun. The lasers are useful semi-charged and fully charged (though I still can't decide which I should use more), and the gyro can be thrown out often. I've found glide tossing a gyro onto a shielded opponent sometimes opens them up for a forward smash. Grabbing the gyro when it's on the ground is pretty easy with dash attack as a follow up too.

ROB is fun, and I can only see him getting better.

Edit: On the Falco matchup, while Falco does have his share of strengths against ROB, there also some weaknesses he faces against ROB. Really, once you get Falco off the stage, you can probably keep him off with fairs. Utilt works much better as does uair, just because Falco fast falls. Generally, it's a little easier to rack up damage or acheive gimp kills.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Like, I insinuated in that post, I actually do not agree with that. I feel like platforms give DeDeDe a lot more room to work with than R.O.B. This is primarily because platforms makes projectile spamming off of the stage (i.e. ledge-camping or recovering) more difficult and makes it less necessary for consecutive hits to be quick.

This gives DeDeDe a lot more freedom to do what he wants well R.O.B. has to be really mindful of platforms.

One thing I've found pretty gratifying was racking up a crapload of damage on DeDeDe, from afar with projectiles and up close with anything that fits the situation (of course, most often d-smash, but also d-throw [usually not followed up with a u-air because DeDeDe's d-air is fast enough to counter it], f-smash, f-tilt, d-tilt, aerials, what have you) and then, after he's around near 200%, clean up all that stale moves negation by beating up his Waddle Dees with jabs. A well-placed b-air, f-smash, d-smash, u-smash at falling Super DeDeDe Jump, or even a f-air near the ledge will result in death from there.

But that's just me.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
I watched those ROB vs Pit videos and was very impressed. ROB was my main out of the gate but I don't think I had the patience for him and switched over to Olimar and Wario. I'm watching the videos and reading these posts and I think my biggest problems were that I would overuse ROB's smashes, specifically his Fsmash.

I noticed in OS's vids he'd perhaps use the Fsmash a dozen or less times in a match, and hit with nearly every one. The short hop to fast fall to forward air seems to be a big part of ROB's game as well, and something I'll need to master if I want to pick him up again.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
These weekly character discussions are in the back room for a week, then we move them to the character specific threads. You guys couldn't see it until we moved it. :)

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
no johns, but hmm... you'd think it would be beneficial to have these in the open seeing as... well.. Nacker, Myself, and a couple of other skilled ROBs cannot post in the SBR [unless of course someone puts in a good word for us in such a fine secluded area of the boards]

*Note- Chozen DID NOT just hint that he wants Broom access*

shrodekill

Smash Cadet
hey im pretty new around here, but i have been maining ROB for awhile now and my friend, although good, couldnt seem to counter me as ROB. This all changed when he found falco. he reflector spams all of my lazers/gyros and abuses his lasers to no end. I couldnt find many videos of this matchup in the video thread. any advice/videos i can watch? what do u guys think about this matchup?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
They're supposed to be for back room only for a week so we have a week of BRoomer only posting what we know, and then we put it out in the open for others to add to it and take from it what they can.

D

Deleted member

Rob is very good, his projectile spam is marvelous. The problems come against characters that are hard to edgeguard, because rob isnt so great at killing. Despite this, i think hes definately one of the best characters in the game.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
when Pits are trying to float under stages from one end to another just go down and shoot a lazer i was getting pits all day with that one

Woah that awesome source of knowledge was posted on the 7th by me and i clearly see it in this thread !!!

meh every/anything i was going to post had been talked and retalked about for 4 pages **** also @ Undr if you do ever get to read this i will gladly challenge you at the next Ch3 you had the chance to play my brother (YO) i think it would be a close match but in the end with rob winning with glorious gimping

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
hey im pretty new around here, but i have been maining ROB for awhile now and my friend, although good, couldnt seem to counter me as ROB. This all changed when he found falco. he reflector spams all of my lazers/gyros and abuses his lasers to no end. I couldnt find many videos of this matchup in the video thread. any advice/videos i can watch? what do u guys think about this matchup?
Best thing to do? Don't camp. Falco can counter your camping much more easily than you can his camping. Then approach aggressively, get him off of the stage, and gimp him. That's by far your best bet.

This is not to say that you shouldn't use projectiles, but you should use them conservatively and when you know they will hit, such as after a large knockback attack or when he's in the middle of recovering. Just popping a gyro out and leaving it out for pressure isn't the best idea either since he can down+B it to convert it from a safe distance. If you're going to pop out a gyro, glide-toss is at unexpected times (he can still down+B anytime he wants, so you have to be really careful).

Pressure pressure pressure. Falco has great offense, but few defensive/recovery options. Your offenses are about even, but your recovery waaay better, so use it to your advantage to gimp as much as you can.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
on ROB matchups i've faced some fairly good ones. and out of my mains i find that Yoshi gets owned, and G&W plays pretty much even with him.

B air entries usually work well. chairs, flags, d smashes work well to clear space. F air can usually get some cheap KO's.

and since the lasers are USUALLy pretty predictable i find you can get some buckets in from time to time. Perfect sheilds into judgements work to. basically i'm saying that the versatility and quickness of G&W is a nice counter to ROB. feel free to criticize.

and about my yoshi on ROBs.

i find he gets out ranged and ROB's moves seem to come out faster... not a good Yoshi match up IMO

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hehehe, you looked like you had a ton of fun here OS.

You make G&W vs R.O.B. look hard for G&W. I'm guessing that maybe it just requires a lot of patience to win with G&W no?

S2

Smash Lord
As OS said earlier about Pit's arrows, ROB can cancel lots of fun things with his f-air. My friend's personal favorite thing is to let me spam Din's fire and cancel them with a well timed f-air.

ROB vs Zelda is an annoying matchup. Zelda can make ROB's life a robo-hell if the ROB uses his projectiles stupidly. ROB's either need to use the projectiles to punish since a good Zelda has their thumb constanly ready to hit B for a Nayru's and if she get's the gyro refelcted it sucks pretty bad. ROB's tilts can be problematic for Zelda though, due to their range if properly spaced. That and ROB can jump off the stage and hurt her recovery quite badly. If Zelda wears down her KO moves for damage the ROB is in a lot of luck, since Zelda already has trouble killing bigger/heavier characters and ROB basicaly always makes it back if he's not KOed.

Still, I wouldn't want to fight Zelda if I were a ROB. The whole matchup is annoying. Both have stupidly fast d-smashes and typically shy towards camping that rely on projectile games.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
The best way to **** up any space animal is use ALOT of Utilts--->Uairs. GlideToss Gyro-->Fsmash. Jab-->Jab-->Ftilt. Hovering Nair-->Fair.

There are ALOT of trixies which work most of the time based on mostly mindgaming them in, but for the most part the combos ARE THERE... you just have to hit them. Gyros+Lazers=mad gimpage.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Ive beaten a few G&W
They were hard though because you have to be very patrient and have to have good DI
Seriously you can easily DI of hit Bair by simply DIing up and toward him, this will get you out before he can hit you with the final blow whcih is normally the most devastating.
Also my friends D3 is insane and I think he can be a counter to ROB as well.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
when overswarm said, "glitches galore", what glitches can rob do (besides glide tossing)?
I have to agree with you on that one.
I havent seen ROB have any sorta big glitch unless its glide tossing.
Ive seen a few weird things happen but with every character not just ROB.
Glitches galore have to go to IC's though.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
The tier list is pretty standard no matter where you go for the top 10...

MetaKnight
Snake
DDD
Game N' Watch
Marth
Wolf
ROB
Zelda
Toon Link
Mario

no johns.

And Mr Swarm is quite correct.... ROB has a **** ton of gliches... once i get some recording equipment i am going to post a tech vid.

Top Bottom