• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Like IKE! Or do we...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
The Hound is an agile swordsman?! ---BREAKING NEWS---

I asked my sister; it literally took her 4 (more like three and a half) minutes to say, "maybe the Smash 4 version." She was really fond of Ike's model from Brawl, so I can relate with your hesitation (even if I do not share the sentiment).
Haha yeah maybe it's his stance.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I voted for Smash 4, but I did really struggle with the decision. I don't quite share Hong's revulsion for the model and Brawl!Ike was the character that I first started actually using well in a Smash game, and one that compelled me to discover my favorite gaming series of all time. I was rather torn.

It's still a model attached to a poor, weak imitation of a great fighter and one that I hope we can forget and discard in good time.

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
His Smash 4 version more matches the strength of his satisfying hard hits. He doesn't look so weak anymore. Maybe he'll have better control of his sword upping his speed a bit with his new found strength.
... Actually he may have been pretty strong in Brawl already. I never really followed up on if he was good in Brawl or not though.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
His Smash 4 version more matches the strength of his satisfying hard hits. He doesn't look so weak anymore. Maybe he'll have better control of his sword upping his speed a bit with his new found strength.
... Actually he may have been pretty strong in Brawl already. I never really followed up on if he was good in Brawl or not though.
He really wasn't.

Morbi

Scavenger
It depends, he is fairly low-tiered for competitive. But in a FFA, I don't believe that his strength can be matched.

TheMysterious2634

Smash Cadet
I would have to say manly Ike because it fits his play style in SSB games. The last one made him look agile. That was so wrong.

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
He really wasn't.
Well then I am really sad that I was usually getting destroyed by my friend who mained him. Then again, I was never really dedicated to being competitive in Brawl.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
And here he is haha... It took me 5 minutes to decide though. I just thought SSBB Ike looks more agile (VERY DECIEVING) . I like agile swordsmen, and I hate swordsmen showing biceps...
I don't think you have a good understanding of agility. Some one who is more muscular and more physically fit objectively has more speed than some one who isn't.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
It is of my opinion that Smash needed more MEN. I also liked his boyish charm, but we always have Marth for that.
Not sure if I agree on that. All I have to say is this.

A girl was happy with the Villagers pic of the day where they had boys and girls. She said "Hurray for gender equality". I mean, that isn't anything we are lacking here. There is no reason to me that we need more girl fighters because of gender equality. But a roster full of more brutes and muscles would be nice(despite my love for agility). The new design is a step in this direction. Cpt. Falcon too.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't think you have a good understanding of agility. Some one who is more muscular and more physically fit objectively has more speed than some one who isn't.
I believe that he understands just fine; agility doesn't only pertain to speed. Smash 4's Ike is covered in much more armor, and he is much larger, hence, it is more difficult for him to move easily.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
It is of my opinion that Smash needed more MEN. I also liked his boyish charm, but we always have Marth for that.
Yeah true. He definitely looks more grown up in his new model. Plus he went from a mere mercenary in Path of Radiance to the commander of the Crimean Liberation Army in Radiant Dawn. I guess this fits the change.

Still gonna miss it doe.

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
You're comparing speed and agility. Not always the same. You can also be fast but not muscle-y.

Commander

Smash Ace
You're comparing speed and agility. Not always the same. You can also be fast but not muscle-y.
Some one who is muscular has much more power to push themselves to run and more endurance to run than someone who isn't muscular. What do you think muscles do? They are the driving force of all movement and larger muscles have more power than smaller ones.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Great Aether worked well for Ike and was a cool visual spectacle that always elicited an, "OOOO! OOOOOOH!" whenever I played with people. Even though it is a fabricated move, there's nothing else that really works besides it.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Before today I would have said Ranger Ike without a second thought. Meathead Ike never really gelled with me. But they nailed his RD look SO WELL...Not to mention PoR Ike wasn't nearly as slow as his Brawl incarnation would have you believe (I don't think I've ever had a PoR run where Ike didn't max speed), so I think his RD look is more suitable for his playstyle in smash as a rough, heavy-handed brawler.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Yeah. I'd hope for something more powerful though. Great Aether looked GREAT visually. But did anyone realize it was weak?
Weak in what way? It killed pretty reliably on most stages so long as your opponent was around 30% and you could combo into it from his jab string.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either way. If he has a new one, cool. If he keeps this one, cool.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Some one who is muscular has much more power to push themselves to run and more endurance to run than someone who isn't muscular. What do you think muscles do? They are the driving force of all movement and larger muscles have more power than smaller ones.
Agility though... Have you seen parkour? Free-running? They do flips and somersaults and climbs... Have you seen ninjas? The stereotypical ninja and free-runner are slim with no bulky muscles. They are still fast. I'm not saying strength doesn't equal speed. Just that Ike's Brawl model was lacking muscles and armor. To me this made him look more like an agile fighter with quick movements. Watch the Matrix. Slim people. Fast, agile martial arts.

EDIT: just realized I essentialy said the Matrix reflects real life. But I like the Matrix. I like the agile, slim fighters.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Great Aether also works really well on stages with upward platform orientation. That combo damage pretty much grants most kill %s by the time you would get a Smash Ball.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I played on 0.5% damage ratio, but I don't think it delt much damage either. http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Aether says 64-74%. There are definitely better final smashes. And the Final smash took place in the center of the stage, so any KO possibility is decreased a lot. If your opponent was below 100% (maybe 50 for 1.0%damage ratio) your opponent was safe.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Oops, meant to vote for Mr. Muscle but accidentally clicked on scrawny.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Agility though... Have you seen parkour? Free-running? They do flips and somersaults and climbs... Have you seen ninjas? The stereotypical ninja and free-runner are slim with no bulky muscles. They are still fast. I'm not saying strength doesn't equal speed. Just that Ike's Brawl model was lacking muscles and armor. To me this made him look more like an agile fighter with quick movements. Watch the Matrix. Slim people. Fast, agile martial arts.

EDIT: just realized I essentialy said the Matrix reflects real life. But I like the Matrix. I like the agile, slim fighters.

Remember, the matrix is a computer simulation. Nothing they do is real. You can't use the matrix for a reference. XD

Also, free-runners need a good amount of muscle as well. Having muscle doesn't mean that you are suddenly encumbered with a bunch of unforeseen weight.

These aren't body builders or professional wrestlers, where the goal is to be as big as possible.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
He holds Ragnell in one hand, Urvan in the other, combine Great Aether with Cloud Strife's Omnislash, with blue and red fire.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
SSB4 Ike for sure. Both are good, but I think the new one matches his playstyle/moveset more.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I hope he keeps the same Final Smash. It's my favorite in the game. I mean, he gives them the beat-down of their life.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Most of the time when I used his final smash I got a KO, but not always. I posted a gif to the first post. Marth is at 0% and goes to 67% after Great Aether.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I agree his new model definitely matches his playing style more.

I'm still surprised how drastic the poll results are haha.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I prefer Ike's new look because it fits his playstyle. It was more hard to believe that Ike was as strong as he was in Brawl with his small stature, but now, his strength looks justified in his moveset.

Plus he looks freaking Badass!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree his new model definitely matches his playing style more.

I'm still surprised how drastic the poll results are haha.
I am quite surprised myself. Every Ike discussION in regards to his redesign that I recall favored his PoR design. So it seems like the opposite is true; I mean, that was only based on empirical data, but still. I am glad that most people are on board.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I guess now that they can see the difference they changed their mind haha. I'm glad too.

Ike's appearance definitely is one of the more drastic changes we have seen so far with the vets. I thought that would cause a stir, so far not so much.

Last edited:

Rattlehead2Deth

Smash Rookie
In terms of Smash, SSB4's is much, much better in my eyes. Where each is derived from, I would favor Path of Radiance Ike. Brawl just didn't get his face quite right. Well, that, and they made him slow as dirt. In 3/4 of Marth's games (2 are remakes) he has a 50% speed growth rate, and it's unlikely he'll reach his cap of 25. In Path of Radiance, Ike has a growth of 55%, a higher cap of 28, and he'll hit it every time. Obviously they made him the way they did to make him really different from Marth, and justify it because his sword is really big, but... yeah. It's worth noting his speed growth in RD is only 35%, and he won't cap without assistance probably, but...34.8 is still 9.8 higher than anything Marth can possibly reach in his own game. Here's hoping those muscles make him handle that sword more easily!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Perhaps my mind is still in shock, but for now I prefer the Brawl one. I wouldn't be surprised if I learned to later SSB4's version more later.

For now when I see this version of Ike, it just makes me think of someone that tried to combine Brawl Ike and Garen from League Of Legends. Doesn't help that some of these new Ike Pictures has Ike being in the exact same pose as some of the Garen Wallpepers.... My mind is probably just making silly, random connections between 2 Tanky Heavy Sword Users.

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

Purely coincidental I know. I now have to go poke a couple friends and say that now they've infected me with LoL, since they did this kind of comparison to so many characters from other games.

Once again, I prefer Brawl Ike, but Manly Ike is the Ike that Ike deserves.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This isn't even a debate.

SSB4/RD version objectively better. Man Ike makes me sweaty

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
We have enough gayboys and shotas. Ike is the first legit bara in this beezy.

Commander

Smash Ace
I guess now that they can see the difference they changed their mind haha. I'm glad too.

Ike's appearance definitely is one of the more drastic changes we have seen so far with the vets. I thought that would cause a stir, so far not so much.
It is no where near as drastic as Yoshi standing up right.

Perhaps my mind is still in shock, but for now I prefer the Brawl one. I wouldn't be surprised if I learned to later SSB4's version more later.

For now when I see this version of Ike, it just makes me think of someone that tried to combine Brawl Ike and Garen from League Of Legends. Doesn't help that some of these new Ike Pictures has Ike being in the exact same pose as some of the Garen Wallpepers.... My mind is probably just making silly, random connections between 2 Tanky Heavy Sword Users.

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

Purely coincidental I know. I now have to go poke a couple friends and say that now they've infected me with LoL, since they did this kind of comparison to so many characters from other games.

Once again, I prefer Brawl Ike, but Manly Ike is the Ike that Ike deserves.
Except Hero Ike was released a full 3 years before League of Legends was.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm hoping for some kind of powered up blue-flame sword beam. Since Kirby's "Ultra Sword" already seems reminiscent of Great Aether, why change Kirby's if it's going to be nearly identical to Ike's?

Something actually from RD please!

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I'm hoping for some kind of powered up blue-flame sword beam. Since Kirby's "Ultra Sword" already seems reminiscent of Great Aether, why change Kirby's if it's going to be nearly identical to Ike's?

Something actually from RD please!
Kirby's new one is more reminiscent of Link's than Ike's.

How about a two-stage Final Smash? Let me break it down:

Stage 1: Blue Flames

Time freezes, Ike absorbs the power of the gods and is covered in sapphiric fire. In this powered-up form, all his attacks now trail with fire; he has increased knock-back, and greater damage output.

Also, completely invincible in the process.

Ike stays in this radiant form for about 15-20 seconds before he reverts back to normal...
HOWEVER, if you use the Neutral Special again—You know, like how you activated the Final Smash in the first place—Ike will then perform Great Aether.

Stage 2: Great Aether

Launching his foes into the sky, Ike unleashes an amped up Aether unlike anything the world has ever witnessed.

Nearing the end of your 15-20 seconds of pure mayhem, its time to finish up. After hopefully having racked up real damage during Stage 1, Stage 2 will operate as the finishing blow. Using it before your 15-20 seconds are over in Stage 1 will automatically end the entire Final Smash Sequence. So use it when you're close to the end. But if you don't use Stage 2 before Stage 1 ends, the sequence will also finish.

It's your choice however you want it. Want only the power boost? Go for it. Want the finishing move only? Power-up and unleash it right away. But if you're going for the optimized version of the move, you take advantage of the full sequence. Wear out your opponents in Stage 1. Then when they're weak and cornered, hit them with Stage 2.

Instill fear with Stage 1, and send them packing with Stage 2.

The Ultimate Final Smash Sequence.

If you can think of cool name for the whole sequence, that'd be cool.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Haha, that's an outrageous concept for a Final Smash. I like it, even if it is a bit overboard. Hmmmm...you could call it the Ultramarine Conflagration. Or the Radiant Blaze.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Ike's Final Smash is one that definitely doesn't need to change. I thought it was epic in Brawl and to see it upgraded visually...in HD...lawd I don't know if I can take it.

Or I'll take it if it becomes like what NintendoKnight suggested, although I'm sure that's too good to be true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom