• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Like IKE! Or do we...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
If they were on the same level of quality, I would prefer Ike's ranger look. Not by a lot, mind you... His depiction in SSB4 is amazing. As it is, since I'd imagine we're talking about the 3D model, as well as the actual character model, then SSB4 is clearly better.

Radiant Dawn Ike always seemed a little alien to me compared to how he appeared in Path of Radiance. Something about his face being... not quite right, not sure exactly what it is... and, while his face is different in SSB4 than in SSBB, I think it retains significantly more similarity between games than I found in Path of Radiance going to Radiant Dawn. This means I find SSB4 Ike that much more likable right from the get-go then I ever found the Radiant Dawn version, as strange as that may seem, considering one is based on the other.

Also of mention is that I find SSB4 Ike's hair much more likable than it is in Radiant Dawn. It looks a lot better, in my opinion.

As for Ike's costume, there are enough similarities between the two designs that I have pretty much no problem letting go of the SSBB design. I still find the dark blue with yellow trim to be a bit more interesting color-wise than the current clothing, but then again, we have those colors in his armor now (which looks amazing, and is much more appealing than the leather armor he has in SSBB). I wish he still had the gloves he had in SSBB, though, I think they were better: they had armor plates on each bone in his hand, that was cool! And, those steel-capped boots were always something I found strange... but very fitting, also a bit sad to see those go away.

Ragnell has its fins now, though. That was a strangely missing attribute in the SSBB model, and one I even considered fixing myself by modding. So that's another accuracy plus to the SSB4 version.

Ultimately, I'm very attached to the SSBB / Path of Radiance design, and hope there is possibly an alternate costume for it. Even so, there are enough elements carried over to the new SSB4 design that I am satisfied on that level: not that I would not be satisfied with the new design anyway, because it is beyond great, and I already like it more than the actual Radiant Dawn design!

... I voted Brawl out of spite. Haha, that's ignoring the quality difference between 3D models, though, please take that into account.

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Too me, Ike always looked like a stereotypical poor-mans-Marth-Fire-Emblem-lord.
I really love the new design he got and it really makes him so much more different from Marth.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
The new one all the way. Not only does is match his powerful playstyle way more than the old one, it also further differentiates himself from Marth, and honestly just looks cooler.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Is that even a question to ask an Ike fan like, to me Ike is Ike, in any form in way he will always stay Ike, I voted for the new one though, I like the change and a change is welcomed, and as people said it fits his motif better, in PoR Ike would never strike you as a heavy hitter, he was so agile and acrobatic, being a heavy hitter would be the last thing you'd expect that's why PoR loses this battle, because he felt like he wasn't fighting the way he wants to fight, RD Ike on the other hand fights like a man, he will smash through walls, he will destroy 10 soldiers with single swing of his sword, now that guy fit the criteria smash gave him.

PoR: Swifty,acrobatic and bursty.
RD: Rugged, Strong, and heavy.

PoR Ike can be identified as a character of his own if you ask me in term of style, Ike was using his father style back in PoR, but it seems he developed his own style in RD and that's how he defeated the Black Knight truly the second time.

PS: if RD was released after SSBB and Ike was what he was I would protest.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I want it to stay the same but just look more flashy and badass and most importantly, BLUE FLAMES

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Yeah true. He definitely looks more grown up in his new model. Plus he went from a mere mercenary in Path of Radiance to the commander of the Crimean Liberation Army in Radiant Dawn. I guess this fits the change.

Still gonna miss it doe.
Wrong Ike was already comander of the Crimean Liberation Army in Path of Radiance, in RD he went from mercenary working for the Laguz alliance, to comander of the Apostle's Army, and then one of three comanders of Yune's forces

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I voted the wrong option in the poll like a dummy. Anyway, New Ike, I prefer.

As you can tell from my 64 main and my avatar, I prefer manly characters.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
All I can say is his alternate costume better be him in speedos.

Or I'll just wait until it gets hacked and we get some pretty interested alternates.

Sigh. :)

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Well a Chrom swim trunks costume is actually relevant, they just need to stretch a bit and make it happen for Ike as well. We have Chrom with his natural tattoos and Ike with his battle scars to even out ZSS's services.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'll be honest, I prefer his PoR design, at least for now. Not having played either game he's in I obviously have more attachment to the look I've known since Brawl. I never really cared for the bulging muscles look anyway. I do like RD Ike though, so I'll adapt.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Definitely smash 4 ike, i had been hoping they wold give him his RD update since after brawl. Hes bigger, badder, and all around more awesome in everyway. He exudes the lord status, and actually feels like he could lead an army now. I find it funny that the japanese dont like his look haha

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I'm so happy Sakurai went with his Radiant Dawn appearance. I wasn't expecting such nice treatment, and it's much better than his Brawl look.

It needs to be said that he's ridiculously handsome.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Muscle Ike. I jokingly call him Mike. Mike and Ike lol. I like Mike's design more.

Ike was cute. But Mike is handsome. Look at how he handles that sword. Hnnng~

Last edited:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the leather armour pieces and boots on Brawl Ike to the jagged metal of SSB4 Ike, but that's all. Everything else I like better in the new model. He's certainly got a much sharper contrast to Marth now too.

I've never actually played a Fire Emblem game, so I can't comment on appropriateness or anything like that.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
In brawl Ike was a starter since he was brand new, but will he still be a starter, Will him and marth switch places or will a new FE character be the starter?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Great Aether in Brawl:

Huh, I did NOT know you could hit someone with Great Aether that far away. I thought you had to be really up close to them.

Anyhow, like others, I would like to see Great Aether return, only with blue flames.

Something canon please.
Actually, I always thought Great Aether somewhat resembled Stefan's animation in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance when he uses Astra (with the battle scenes turned off), especially the final slash. In a way, that does make sense, since Stefan did teach Ike and help him master his swordsmanship.

Commander

Smash Ace
Actually, I always thought Great Aether somewhat resembled Stefan's animation in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance when he uses Astra (with the battle scenes turned off), especially the final slash. In a way, that does make sense, since Stefan did teach Ike and help him master his swordsmanship.
Great Aether resembles the final blow Ike gives to Ashera while engulfed in blue flame. The final blow was an aether.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I prefer the leather armour pieces and boots on Brawl Ike to the jagged metal of SSB4 Ike, but that's all. Everything else I like better in the new model. He's certainly got a much sharper contrast to Marth now too.

I've never actually played a Fire Emblem game, so I can't comment on appropriateness or anything like that.
I played FE9 and FE10, and let me tell you... Ike in Smash 4 is the best he has ever looked, by far. They really did a stellar job on him.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
That's stretchy. I'm willing to bet Great Aether was generic omni-slash with a fire effect that for some reason was attributed to Ike with a very uninspired name.
But hey, it looked cool.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I feel like Ike's final smash may be changed due to how similar it is to Greninja's final smash. I'm clueless as to what it would be though.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I can't be the only one who thinks Ike looks vaguely like the guy from G Gundam.

So... SHINING BURNING FINGER

i am kidding btw

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I honestly have no idea what to expect, as far as having to unlock which characters. They've shown so many... I'd like to think we'd have to work for a few of them! We all love WARNING CHALLENGER APPROACHING

Commander

Smash Ace
I played FE9 and FE10, and let me tell you... Ike in Smash 4 is the best he has ever looked, by far. They really did a stellar job on him.
It is just Hero Ike with bigger biceps. I imagine they chose to that for added visibility of his arm movement.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It is just Hero Ike with bigger biceps. I imagine they chose to that for added visibility of his arm movement.
It's the little details, my man. His 2D and 3D looks in RD just aren't as lifelike or colorful. Or detailed.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
They just can't stand the sheer manliness of Ike. Ike's too beautiful for them to handle. I just noticed this sounds really gay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom