• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We are really hindered in 3/5 sets..

ADHD

Smash Hero
Think about it, our ONLY good stage is smashville because at this point, FD is banned by everyone without thought. Now, by the stage striking system the stage will always end up to battlefield, it's our third best neutral. We strike yoshis, they strike FD, we strike lylat, they strike smashville, and here we are. Let's assume it is winners finals vs a fairly good metaknight. We win game 1 on battlefield, then we lose on some retardedly dumb stage like rainbow cruise (considering if we ban brinstar they will go there, and if we ban rainbow they will go brinstar.) It's 1-1, and now it's time to go smashville and **** THE **** OUT OF HIM. The mk looks at his options after a humiliating loss on sv; an array of homosxual stages.. Should he go frigate? Delfino? Hmm, ya know... LYLAT LOOKS PRETTY GAY. We put up a great fight, but unfortunately we lose.. Now where do we go? The best option at this point, is pokemon stadium 1. This is all dandy, however metaknight has a an easy wall lock, the scenery to stall to his maxiumum ability, the power to spam tornado and land safely somewhere else, or even an amazing ledge where he can spam up air directly in the corners beneath it. How is it any different against snake? This problem happend to me TWICE IN PREVIOUS TOURNAMENTS following S.N.E.S. because ally was intelligent this time and banned final destination, leaving me with only smashville and battlefield victories. I was up a game or two multiple times in the winners finals/grand finals sets but when I went to any other stage I got ***** since snake outplays diddy basically anywhere else. The point of this thread is to prove that we are already ****ed unless the SBR decides to change the stagelists or EC allows pictochat XD Come on guys, it only benefits me and DDD! Don't be jerks! :(

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I've thought about this before...Even if Diddy goes even against MK on neutrals, it can still be 40-60 (40% to win the set) against him because of his disparate advantage in counter picking stages (By the way, does anyone have a reasonable ratio for Diddy v MK on RC or Brinstar?). And this was only considering a 2/3 set, it would only be worse for 3/5. You basically have to win all of your coin flips in order to stand a chance, which is unreasonable.

So in a 3/5, I would expect to counter SV, and ??? The reason I considered Castle Siege as a potential counter pick is because of his lack of counter picks, since I was never a favor of PS1, and Pictochat got banned in my region. When I started at tournaments, people would ban FD, I'd go Picto, they'd get "unlucky." After a few tournaments, I was able to play on FD because people feared my manipulation of the stage since Diddy can exploit the hazards exceptionally well (As well as aiding in KO's). Then, Picto's banned, and I have to find a new CP, why not CS, its really flat, kinda like FD...

ADHD

Smash Hero
I've thought about this before...Even if Diddy goes even against MK on neutrals, it can still be 40-60 (40% to win the set) against him because of his disparate advantage in counter picking stages (By the way, does anyone have a reasonable ratio for Diddy v MK on RC or Brinstar?). And this was only considering a 2/3 set, it would only be worse for 3/5. You basically have to win all of your coin flips in order to stand a chance, which is unreasonable.

So in a 3/5, I would expect to counter SV, and ??? The reason I considered Castle Siege as a potential counter pick is because of his lack of counter picks, since I was never a favor of PS1, and Pictochat got banned in my region. When I started at tournaments, people would ban FD, I'd go Picto, they'd get "unlucky." After a few tournaments, I was able to play on FD because people feared my manipulation of the stage since Diddy can exploit the hazards exceptionally well (As well as aiding in KO's). Then, Picto's banned, and I have to find a new CP, why not CS, its really flat, kinda like FD...
Mk wins on that stage, so does snake, DDD, and possibly falco. We lose against the top tiers.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Mk wins on that stage, so does snake, DDD, and possibly falco. We lose against the top tiers.
You mean on CS? I don't doubt it...I definitely wouldn't counter pick it against DDD or Falco either. But the point remains, our 3rd CP is questionable and may as well come down to personal preference since FD, SV, and BF can reasonably not available.

TreK

Is "that guy"
yeah, just pick up a non-neutral stage and make it ur favorite.
people will either have to ban FD or this stage against you

works for me because people don't know what my fav stage is, but since you're a big name idk, the surprise effect is pwnt.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Delfino's a great Diddy stage, if you land your opponent in the water you're almost (% can be an issue) guaranteed a stock, not to mention the walk-offs you can use.

It's really not a horrible stage for Diddy v MK.

RC, I dunno since I've only ever won against MKs there. It's definitely tough to get around (if your opponent also knows what they're doing) but it's not "auto-lose" imo. We'll see at Hobo and No Koast I suppose :D

napZzz

Smash Hero
Get a secondary. I have snake, I actually made an mk BAN brinstar against me in a 3/5 set because I can actually use that as my own cp and **** him there. Seriously, find a character to do well on the stages expected and you can get around it.

Lylat isn't really that bad...

I personally ban rc nowadays. I cant stand playing mk's on that stage. And since I have snake for brinstar they're usually forced into going to frigate or something which isn't that bad. So just pick up someone else adhd.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Try maining Ice Climbers then complaining about stages lol.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
I had the same problem yesterday... By the end of the 2nd match 4 neutrals were banned.. and I have to pick PS1 cuz that was my best bet...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Counter Pick Port Town

Counter Pick Halberd.

Or don't lose on Lylat.

:D

But seriously, counter pick Halberd.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
I actually use halberd,delfino and ps1 for my most used stages.
And u guys should be striking battlefield so they strike fd and you get to play on smashville first game.
Then hope you can get them on their cp and then **** them on yours.I agree its an uphill battle,you really have to aim to 3-0 the person or cps can **** us

Count

Smash Champion
I really like battlefield so I use that a lot. And then I have ps1 and smashville. And I live in the midwest so I have pictochat. But believe me I'd rather not have pictochat and also not have all the other gay stages >.<

Player-1

Smash Legend
pictochat for the win.

seriously, georgia needs that to be a cp, we voted for a cp list a while ago and it was put into the cp list, but it was never kept in.

Castle Siege is a good CP against a lot of diddy's matchups.

Good against Falco, Luigi, Toon Link, it's decent against Snake and MK.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I really like battlefield so I use that a lot. And then I have ps1 and smashville. And I live in the midwest so I have pictochat. But believe me I'd rather not have pictochat and also not have all the other gay stages >.<
LOL good thing battlefield works out so well eh? you lost to wangston's noob falco on there and almost mine too ;)

JK wangston is pretty good but still...idk about it being a great stage for you~

Count

Smash Champion
I've played wangston there like 3 times and I've won two, and I beat you there before as well. And this conversation is completely different against a character like falco you scrub!

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
nah man, falco isn't particularly hard on any stage besides FD. wait for falcos to ban FD before you do, so you can ban your least favorite neutral counterpick like yoshi's or pokemon.

You just have to be familiar with a lot of stages, and make sure you don't screw up on your cp's/1st match.
1st match means everything.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
If you send a falco off stage, you pull a banana out on the platform, and have one in your hand so you can shoot peanuts to force him to either jump or side b. If he recovers too high, you can jump after him and get him with a banana. If he recovers on a platform, he'll trip. If he recovers low, you can peanut/banana gimp him and force him to use his side b. Platforms are also really useful during your first 50% to avoid getting CG'd. a free 50% is pretty dumb. This is taking into account that the falco knows how to extend his phantasm. I play against a good falco all the time. ;P

ADHD

Smash Hero
Falco will never grab diddy if you play your cards right, and if he does there's always a banana behind you to stop it after the second/third grab. He can't camp you, or zone in on you. Falco sucks XD

rvkevin

Smash Lord
ban fd, that way theyll be confused and ban a good stage for them
This kind of makes the point that our ban is pretty useless, which I agree. With Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise, I don't really have a preference for either. I couldn't even make the case for the lesser of two evils, so why not ban FD as a joke, since they'll just ban it anyway.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I honestly dont know what to say to this.

Thats how speechless i am.

:ohwell:
I HONESTLY think they are on the same level. Being dead serious.

And this thread is just one more reason as to why people should always carry a secondary. YOu can have mk for cruise, or if you're me have snake for brinstar or a character to suit the matchup that you might come across on a stage you dont like, etc.

its not just about picking the better character, its about picking up the character most suited to the stages you are afraid of and what matchups to be played there.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
This is how I do it. Diddy for first neutral map, pick MK, then counter with Diddy third match if you lose 2nd with MK. Simple formula if you're good with both.

Top Bottom