• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We are really hindered in 3/5 sets..

ADHD

Smash Hero
Metaknight and snake are so good that they create a gap between themselves and everyone else. Counterpicking fails against top level players unless your secondary is seriously solid and knows matchups well (unless you're Azen.)

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
instead of banning brinstar or rc,
jest ban metaknights up b

napZzz

Smash Hero
if You band FD not only do you leave their best stage you COULDVE banned available to them but you also give them the option of banning any other stage you're good on

you ban fd, they ban smashville

its a dumb move

Panix

Smash Ace
if You band FD not only do you leave their best stage you COULDVE banned available to them but you also give them the option of banning any other stage you're good on

you ban fd, they ban smashville

its a dumb move
Nah, if your playing a known (snake) player, then your going to jump at the chance to play on RC against him.

It's when you choose MK that he gets pissed.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Well like count i live in the midwest so I get pictochat...which is like the greatest diddy stage of all time. its soooo ridiculous playing on pictochat. like 99% of everything there is great for diddy kong. and the borders on the side are a little closer than on fd.(at least i think so i could be wrong) which means killing there is soo easy. playing on pictochat is basically playing diddy with kill power....which is ****ing ridiculous!!! and i second snake so im covered on the whole stage thing. Go Midwest Diddy Kongs

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well like count i live in the midwest so I get pictochat...which is like the greatest diddy stage of all time. its soooo ridiculous playing on pictochat. like 99% of everything there is great for diddy kong. and the borders on the side are a little closer than on fd.(at least i think so i could be wrong) which means killing there is soo easy. playing on pictochat is basically playing diddy with kill power....which is ****ing ridiculous!!! and i second snake so im covered on the whole stage thing. Go Midwest Diddy Kongs
I wouldn't say that it's easier to get kills on. Japes has the same borders as pictochat, and I hit a fresh Dsmash against a DK player at 200% and he lived by DIing up.

Smash Ace
hmm that sucks. where did u hit him with it at? like the opposite side of the stage the middle or right next to the side?

napZzz

Smash Hero
I also 2nd snake and am a midwest diddy kong. Thats how it goes!
I wouldn't say that it's easier to get kills on. Japes has the same borders as pictochat, and I hit a fresh Dsmash against a DK player at 200% and he lived by DIing up.
On japes you'd have to be on that small *** platform to get the easy kill from the side. Did dk do that up b thing that completely cancels his momentum?
hmm that sucks. where did u hit him with it at? like the opposite side of the stage the middle or right next to the side?
probably somewhere in the middle platform.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I also 2nd snake and am a midwest diddy kong. Thats how it goes!

On japes you'd have to be on that small *** platform to get the easy kill from the side. Did dk do that up b thing that completely cancels his momentum?

probably somewhere in the middle platform.
no he didn't. And I didn't say anything about an easy kill, it was from the middle of the stage which is about the same if not the same horizontal range from the middle of pictochat

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Just reading the OP/title, I think he's right. However, I think snake/IC's get equally as ****ed on stages as diddy.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Go to the midwest. We have more stages then that are in the game! =P

My sets with AZ have generally been more or less determined by whether it is 2/3 or 3/5 since we first met each other in tournament. There's a whole other FD in the circuit now so that'll prolly change, but the best a Diddy can do is pick up a secondary to use on the "gay" stages.

I mean think about it; if your character is a glass cannon when it comes to stage choice, if can pick one character that does well on the other stages, you have no weaknesses and more strengths than the opponent could ever have. Diddy is the perfect character to have a secondary with.

Count

Smash Champion
Yeah but a lot of us don't use secondaries cause playing diddy is so different that we're not good with any other characters.

Well, I can't really speak for everyone else but thats the vib I'm getting.

I know ADHD, AZ, gnes, myself, player 1, all go straight diddy among others.

In theory its amazing but when actually played out I think most of us just do better with diddy.

Plus we all have character pride. I think ADHD might go MK sometimes in doubles? maybe?

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Yeah but a lot of us don't use secondaries cause playing diddy is so different that we're not good with any other characters.

Well, I can't really speak for everyone else but thats the vib I'm getting.

I know ADHD, AZ, gnes, myself, player 1, all go straight diddy among others.

In theory its amazing but when actually played out I think most of us just do better with diddy.

Plus we all have character pride. I think ADHD might go MK sometimes in doubles? maybe?
I can use pretty much anyone and I can use MK on a competitive level. You just need to stop using Diddy every match you play.

Gnes

Smash Master
I can use plenty of characters on a competitive level, however if I lose i want it to because my MAIN wasn't good enough.

Simple.

Also i use GAW in teams if for some reason i have to go to norfair. That is the only stage I opt to not pick diddy.

Count

Smash Champion
I can use other characters too on a competitive level too but I've put more time into diddy etc. I just wouldn't do as well with other characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Don't you mean everyone except SuSa can play MK on a competitive level?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yes. I've been saying this forever. Diddy Kong is the best character in the game on neutral stages, followed by probably Falco, then ICs, then MK, then Snake. Overall, MK is still the best character because the ability to fly is greater than the ability to throw bananas or shoot lasers or death grab somebody on irregular terrain. The whole reason the metagame is favoring these characters is BECAUSE you are likely to win on the neutral stage, and then can counter-pick a neutral stage.

Lylat and YI aren't that bad for you, so I suggest you simply practice them extensively, as a majority of players aren't comfortable on these stages anyway. By merely becoming extremely comfortable on these unpopular neutrals, you gain an upperhand in that sense. You also retain Halberd and PS1 as reasonable options. Sorry, but this game needs platforms, and not every stage is FD Wyatt.

Put Pictochat on my @$$! I SWEAR, the gall of this kid . . .

Gnes

Smash Master
Yoshis is bad for diddy...theres no way around that...but it's not as horrible as some people believe. Lylat imo is actually a good diddy stage, unfortunately mk and snake are both better there.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

I made this stage with this in mind, actually.

It's not that great of a Diddy stage, but it is above average. The middle platform can catch bananas sometimes and is pretty awkward for you to catch them on, but the stage has a high ceiling and short sides. This means Diddy gets KOs faster but, unfortunately, his pro recovery is weakened a bit. He also can't recover from below the stage as easily due to the sharp edges, but the platforms on the bottom really help prevent people from edgehogging Diddy. It's a unique CP for Diddy at our Circuit events for this season, and I'm interested to see how it goes in the future.

Pictochat also works well for Diddy in our region (Diddy has the flat stage, combo potential, large blastzones AND kill power via hazards) and probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon, but I can understand some people's apprehension towards Pictochat's hazards.

Have you guys ever thought of Halberd as a Diddy CP? I've always considered it a pretty good Diddy stage since your u-air becomes a viable kill move against most lighter characters there, and the platform setup is perfect for you. It's not a good stage in all matchups for sure, but I've always wondered if Diddy's would be using Halberd in the future.

Player-1

Smash Legend

I made this stage with this in mind, actually.

It's not that great of a Diddy stage, but it is above average. The middle platform can catch bananas sometimes and is pretty awkward for you to catch them on, but the stage has a high ceiling and short sides. This means Diddy gets KOs faster but, unfortunately, his pro recovery is weakened a bit. He also can't recover from below the stage as easily due to the sharp edges, but the platforms on the bottom really help prevent people from edgehogging Diddy. It's a unique CP for Diddy at our Circuit events for this season, and I'm interested to see how it goes in the future.

Pictochat also works well for Diddy in our region (Diddy has the flat stage, combo potential, large blastzones AND kill power via hazards) and probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon, but I can understand some people's apprehension towards Pictochat's hazards.

Have you guys ever thought of Halberd as a Diddy CP? I've always considered it a pretty good Diddy stage since your u-air becomes a viable kill move against most lighter characters there, and the platform setup is perfect for you. It's not a good stage in all matchups for sure, but I've always wondered if Diddy's would be using Halberd in the future.
high ceilings are generally bad for diddy, but I'm glad people are finally using the stage creator for legal stages

Overswarm

is laughing at you
high ceilings are generally bad for diddy, but I'm glad people are finally using the stage creator for legal stages
Just until June. :)

I'm collecting data on them and what types of players disapprove / approve so I can make a full report to the community.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
custom stages are legit

is it possible to make one the mk is bad at?
probably not lol
Libra was designed to be really bad for MK in several matchups. While Libra is a great stage for MK vs. Snake (high ceiling), the high ceiling prevents MK from getting KOs with his grounded shuttle loop. The close sides makes killing from the stage more prominent, and edgeguarding less important. It also means if MK messes up and gets hit when recovering, it is entirely possible he can die rather than just try again.

Lucario wreeeecks MK on Libra. MK is still able to fight him on that stage, but you don't gimp Lucario for crap there and he can kill you pretty easily. When the high ceiling, Lucario can live forever and kill you from center stage with f-smashes.

Still looking into it though.

Smash Ace
btw overswarm ive always liked libra. its nice to have as a starter and it just adds another GOOD diddy stage,in the mixture of the horrible ones.

edit: also as far as the halberd thing i actually like it but id rather pick picto first. then later if this was a 3/5 set id probably consider halberd, or depending on the match up maybe norfair. ive never lost a bracket or pools match on norfair. ppl take me there all the time, but it seems to be a pretty awesme diddy stage once you have control of the middle. not to mention Up-b tricks when the little pod thingy pops up.

how does everyone else feel about norfair?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
From what I've seen, single nana and no nana Diddy's do great on norfair. AZ always gets wrecked when he goes for controlling two bananas at once, but when he just pulls out one he gets easy hits all the time. Nana to fair. Nana u-air. U-air strings. Nana bair. Over and over and over again, and it is incredibly hard to get to the center.

Plus, norfair solves Diddy's KO problems.

Top Bottom