• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways not to choke in Melee tournaments.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Often times when we go to tournaments we choke when playing against top players.

We get that good player syndrome. Our hands starts to sweat, we tremble a lot, and the all that practicing we were doing in our room went to waste.

We gain confidence when practicing but stumble against players. What are ways not to choke in Melee tournaments?

OverLord

Smash Ace
^Yep

And just pretend you are so good you have nothing to fear. Without being cocky though.

I used to choke in crew matches, 'cause I've always felt I got the crew on my back other than just myself, but I managed to be more relaxed and serene.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And just pretend you are so good you have nothing to fear. Without being cocky though.
Hell, if you really want, act cocky and put on a show as long as you don't let it get to your head.

Pi

Smash Hero
realize that everyone is beatable, everyone slips up and makes mistakes
just look for those and act on them
while not making them yourself

then it's not about who you are playing, but about how you are playing

Bones0

Smash Legend
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to be playing this game.

On a less abstract note, listen to music that either hypes you up or calms you down, and try to be as "in the moment" as possible. I've found I rarely choke when I'm not busy considering **** that's happened in the past or **** that might happen if I win or lose in the future. The more focused I am on the match itself, the less room there is to think about screwing up.

RAVENx08

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1489-8514
i like to listen to music it helps me alot vs the better players in the valley

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Just envision your opponent as an equal, don't think of him as a 'pro', heck just imagine your the best plus some nice music will surely help you out.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Envisioning your opponent as an equal, huh? I feel like I would still be nervous, because I would feel like that my opponent being equal to me means that me being even slightly nervous will tip the balance in his favor and cause me to lose, making me nervous. Yeah, a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I'm a really shy person, when I first had someone I never met before come over to play, I was shaking in my vans checkered shoes. The thought of "oh no, he's been playing more than 3 times what I have, what if I dont do good enough and he doesnt wanna play with me any more" crossed my mind once or twice, and some of that gave me determination to want to do the best I could; I grabbed his fox and drop zone'd it, I u-air'd his Samus to the ceiling for a kill, I made sure I was gonna be the best amateur the 831 has known.
Right now, I'm pretty much on par with this guy, he's been playing since release, I've been playing for 3 years. Get that determination in you, get that Melee hype in your blood, and be the best damn player there is.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I always choked in regular crews with my friends, but almost never in singles/doubles/regional crews. Singles and doubles easy, I just acted the cocky role and it worked out usually. Part of regional crews was because they kept trying to kick me off the team even though I was always one of the Top 10 Midwest placers, so I was like, "screw you all, I'ma take 10 stock off the International Crew since that's the only one you'll play me against." So I did.

But with my actual crew? Man I always sucked. I was always just trying to barely hold even, even though during a few tournaments I probably should've been trying to carry the team. Never figured out a good way around it...something about it just got to me.

Smash Master
Known how to wavedash for 5 years and I still can't perform with money on the line.

Everlasting Laughter

Smash Cadet
Really the more you go to tournements the better you'll adapt even if you don't want to. However some pressure is normally good if you take it the right way like how hydro said he did. But likly you'll have to find your own way to cope maybe if you record in friendlies it will help you loosen up for when you go to tournments to deal with the pressure and be aware they are also human but for mango that's a fruit.

I find it best if I always sit on the left side with my pockets cleared out and am quiet. But if i didn't worry about it and focus on the match ir wouldn't matter.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was only really nervous at the first tourney I went to. Ever since I've performed as well in tourney as out, likely even better due to the pressure. IDK it just depends on what kinda person you are. Eggm's advice is golden.

Myztek

Smash Ace
I try and view the match in a way that WHO I'm playing isn't even a factor. Instead, if I'm Fox and I'm fighting a Sheik on some random stage. I just think to myself "Let's figure out how to beat this Sheik." I try to eliminate the idea of losing and just see the match as an opportunity to figure out a working strategy. If I lose, so be it, I probably still learned something.

Usually works for me.

Life

Smash Hero
You should be too focused on playing the match well to be nervous.

This attitude has gotten me to two all-state band festivals on French Horn among other things. You got this, bro. ()@'

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I tend to think to myself "These players are good. Probably better then me. But it is just a game. I will try to win, but it is okay if I don't."

Just don't pressure yourself. Try your hardest to win, but don't become completely obsessed with it. If I lose, I lose. Whatever. It was fun. I never chocked, because I know I have just as much of a chance winning as my opponent does. But if you stay calm, you keep your guard up, and watch your opponent slip up.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Just think that you are playing a character, not the player. Focus! The character has sets of moves I have to beat so I try to beat him, that's all.

Top Bottom