• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways not to choke in Melee tournaments.

Bing

Smash Master
Never miss a tournament, and always enter. That's honestly the only way.
Ive been going to all the monthlies for like the last 3 months, and my next one is this Saturday, and I still havent budged XD

Kinda sickening to me, because I put in a lot of time at home, and while my play feels to be improving, im not finishing well, hell, not making it out of pools though in friendlies/seriouslies and I can crush people....

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
I start cracking jokes. One of two things then happen:

1. The other player starts making jokes too and the match becomes a heck of a lot of fun, and most of the pressure goes away.
2. The other player remains silent, but I calm myself down and I get to mentally laugh at their awkwardness.

So far, nobody has taken the third option, which is simply asking me to stop :p

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
Wave-Guiding Hero, I do basically the same thing. I imagine it would be incredibly awkward if someone asked me to stop. I would probably just make more jokes. Or say something offensive.

Varist

Smash Lord
what does one who cannot conceptualize more swag do?

can i purchase swag? perhaps with some sort of like-named currency? maybe making reference to currency I am already familiar with?

swagbucks?

pingding

Smash Apprentice
i cant wait until i can go to my next tournament and use my luigi and zelda and see how they match up against other players besides my friend wangsterbaiter

Zoler

Smash Ace
I had this problem a lot for a while. It didn't even matter if it was a good player I faced, I would shake and fail basic things if it was a tourney match or if people was watching. It has become a lot better now after over 20 tournaments. ^^ You just gotta try to play your best and don't care whether you win or lose.

pingding

Smash Apprentice
I had this problem a lot for a while. It didn't even matter if it was a good player I faced, I would shake and fail basic things if it was a tourney match or if people was watching. It has become a lot better now after over 20 tournaments. ^^ You just gotta try to play your best and don't care whether you win or lose.
exactly just do your best and have fun with it

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
psyche the other player out by talking thrash etc to the point of where they choke more then you
works best vs finns
also works very well vs fat asians who steal stuff and destroy controllers

Aber

Smash Journeyman
how about instead of focusing on "not choking" you focus on "****ing ******"?

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
When you play, try not to think about choking and anything else besides the game. Good concentration is the way to overcome choking imo. I think the relevant things that can cause choking are: emotions, (bad or buffed)self-esteem, new situations and things that affect your concentration. Many times you end up in a feeling-mode which jams your ability to think and concentrate to the game. You're just in that feeling( fear?, insecure?, ...) and your fingers won't work anymore. You should examine later on why you feel that way in that situation and realize there is no need to feel that way. I know it takes time, but that is the way i overcame choking myself. Then again there might be new situations you end up which feels new, insecure, exciting and so on... If you catch yourself thinking about these feelings when you play then stop immediately thinking them, and put your thinking back to the game instead! Because the less you think about the game when you play, and the more you think about anything else, the worse you will play and the easily you will choke.

When you have mastered your concentration skill then you won't have choking problems. No matter what happens in the game, or outside it, it doesn't affect you. Exaggeratedly even if an atomic bomb would explode behind you when you play, you wouldn't even notice it but kept concentrating on the game. Same goes for the audience. When you have mastered concentration, you won't even notice the audience which yells behind you.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
PLay **** load of money matches

psyche the other player out by talking thrash etc to the point of where they choke more then you
works best vs finns
also works very well vs fat asians who steal stuff and destroy controllers

lololololo, true story

finnish players seem to have poor mental game in general

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
The laws of physics don't stop in tournament. It is always a good idea to chew your food properly before swallowing, and do not chew gum while running or riding a bicycle, though it is not common to find anyone riding a bicycle in a tournament.

crush

Smash Master
Wise man once said dont be thinking best falcon in himalayas but just another day at the battlefield with a falcon that happens to be from the himalayas

:phone:

Top Bottom