• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways not to choke in Melee tournaments.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Good GOD your avatar is cool.

I don't ever use Fox so I have no idea how to not choke with him.

Waveshine like you just don't care?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I use needles with DK. They're his best projectile IMO

Walt

Smash Ace
You obviously never watched the old Donkey Kong Country cartoon. Bananas, coconuts, and needles were pretty much all DK used.

Brookman

Smash Hero
breathe, stay hydrated, eat bananas and nuts to stay sharp and remember to play your game, not your opponent's.

also, shine and up smash the **** out of them

crush

Smash Master
drink multiple red bulls, water, dont eat cough drops or chew gum, wear the most comfortable shoes you have, sit on the right side of the screen, bllnk and cure your brain, etc

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You obviously never watched the old Donkey Kong Country cartoon. Bananas, coconuts, and needles were pretty much all DK used.
You remember the episode with Kongo Bongo Gone Wrongo Disease? Needles out the *** there

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Usually when I'm playing the top ranked players at a tournament, I would go in with the incentives that I'm going to lose. An answer to not choke is to just visualize that you're just playing another Fox or another Falcon rather than "Best Fox in Switzerland" or "Best Falcon in the Himalayas."

I've already said it, but NEVER GO IN THINKING YOU'LL LOSE.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
You remember the episode with Kongo Bongo Gone Wrongo Disease? Needles out the *** there
LOL.

I havent watched that show in years. I remember the episode when Donkey Kong was escaping King K Rool's layer and then he hit his head on a coconut tree.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I saw Cactuar's [9] and thought of reddit.
To not choke, I suggest you take Cactuar's advice, and get to [9] yourself. lol

Honestly, the first tourney I went to I got mad nervous and choked hard. However, now I realize that everyone there is just someone else that loves smash, and since I love smash that makes us bros. And playing bros doesn't get you nervous, does it?

Brookman

Smash Hero
Just keep in mind that you're playing vs. another human, at all times..and just pay attention. Literally, if you have a.d.d. at any point its just gona ruin your game. play frame-perfectly, even if you miss l-cancels and ****. Even out of your tilts and smashes. You should literally strive to move the character as fast as possible while controlling space.

Or, play puff and plank.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I just play the game, try my best, and don't really pay attention to how good my opponent supposedly is. It's important to just be in the moment and not let your mind drift to "what ifs" instead of focusing on the match.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Never miss a tournament, and always enter. That's honestly the only way.
take it from the egg... I played him in my pools actually... merciless. IDK, I find that I get more nervous for matches against random bobs like myself because I actually have a chance. I played Lucky at ROM and actually played pretty well, 1 stock off him and he was sandbagging... but yeah IDK where I'm going with this as far as helping. I guess what eggm said, I've found that I get over-all less nervous the more tournaments i go to.

~MOP

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
When playing, make sure you're sitting comfortably in a position that helps your gaming. I noticed that this is different for everyone. I for example, like to lean forward on the edge of my chair. Also, make sure you have a decent view of the screen. It sounds trivial, but it helps a lot.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
When playing, make sure you're sitting comfortably in a position that helps your gaming. I noticed that this is different for everyone else. I for example, like to lean forward on the edge of my chair. Also, make sure you have a decent view of the screen. It sounds trivial, but it helps a lot.
Thanks. il do that. =)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
My suggestion is to saw off the head of your puppy, drown your kitten in a bathtub.(don't do this!!!!!!)

what I mean by that is get rid of your emotions. Mainly fear. Emotions get in the way of making logical decisions.

This isn't saying you have to play like a robot or something but just don't let your emotions out during a tournament it's bad for you.

Passion however is something you must keep. You have to have a real passion to win or do well when you play. Cuz as much skill as there is in a game like melee sometimes it literally does come down to willpower and who wants it more.

Tyranny

Smash Cadet
Smoking usually helps me. It completely zones out any outside disturbances and forces me to concentrate on the matter at hand~ which in this case would be dealing with a ****ing forward smashing bird..

Varist

Smash Lord
Smoking usually helps me. It completely zones out any outside disturbances and forces me to concentrate on the matter at hand~ which in this case would be dealing with a ****ing forward smashing bird..
You were playing in a tourney when you wrote this? what the ****

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
My suggestion is to saw off the head of your puppy, drown your kitten in a bathtub.(don't do this!!!!!!)

what I mean by that is get rid of your emotions. Mainly fear. Emotions get in the way of making logical decisions.

This isn't saying you have to play like a robot or something but just don't let your emotions out during a tournament it's bad for you.

Passion however is something you must keep. You have to have a real passion to win or do well when you play. Cuz as much skill as there is in a game like melee sometimes it literally does come down to willpower and who wants it more.
thanks for the advice. il use this.

pingding

Smash Apprentice
what i did at my first tourny i told myself they are good and this is going to be a learning experience. i did learn a lot that day. at my first tourny i didnt beat anyone but at my second i did beat a few people. i just think of the tournys as learning experiences.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I just kept going to tournaments and eventually learned to ignore it.

Rat

Smash Lord
Nerves are a good thing. Use that energy to focus and step it up.

I choke a lot mid-match when I get nervous and start thinking about what I'm doing instead of just doing it.

Top Bottom