• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] The Perth Power Rankings ~NEW UPDATE 23/09/10~ Version 5.2

True Romance

Smash Ace
I play against them in friendlies and observe them at all available opportunities_ So you don't feel that i obtain the relevant knowledge to accurately judge a player purely through observation and feel it a requirement for me to place higher to hold a much more substantial opinion_?

You'll learn that i appreciate honesty_
I've played a lot of different games and sports competitively, and I'll always stand by what I've stated in the past "Friendlies, Casuals, Training, Practise" Don't mean **** in terms of detirmining competitive skill.

Prime example of this is Buff. He's been a top 8 player in Perth since his first day at tournament. Regardless of how he initially placed his skill level was there. However he's a notorious choker. If I was on the panel I couldn't say "**** guys when we play friendlies Buff is amazing!" and use that as justifaction for a spot on the PR list.

Competitive pressure does have an effect on people, whether they want to admit it or not. If the PRs were just a list based on the general feelings the panelists have towards the ranked members then I'd have no problems with you being on the panel, not that I really have a problem now. Pete baited me into that conversation, I didn't just start having a go at you out of the blue. It was fairly dog of him to post it but such is life. TBH I don't care about the PRs that much, if you look most of my posts in this thread are taking the piss.

Soo to answer your question, I don't feel you obtain the relevant knowledge and yes I do feel it a requirement for you to place higher to hold a relevant opinion.

edit - Perth threads are fun tonight.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
I think you misjudge me Kane_ Having also been actively involved in various sports and gaming competitively your comment about Trill for example is basically how i perceive things_ I don't make judgements based purely on friendlies, training or practise_ I look at projected skill level in comparison to displayed skill level_ In this case tournaments_

You are right about Trill and i have had that thought since being on the PR_ The reason he never entered it was because yes he is a notorious choker and yes he has recently overcome them and this was relevant_ I felt he should be on the current list and Trav's input having versed him in the previous 2 tournaments was also evaluated_ I was able to visually perceive Trills current skill level without having versed him and judging by how you assume the PR should make it's judgments, i think and comment exactly as you stated PR members should_

To clarify_ I don't base my judgments purely from friendly matches, but purely observe and perceive a players skill level and compare it to how they currently stand in tournaments, then make my judgment_ I hope this clarifys your assumptions of me_

Also yeah i pretty much take all of what Pete says as pig headed trolling_ He just has this face you would love to cave in_ That isn't an invite to incite me into doing it Pete_ :)

True Romance

Smash Ace
I understand what you're trying to say, but see I don't think projected skill level is worth jack. It's all about displayed skill level IMO. And the fact you don't place well (not even dissing your skill level, I know you can play better and place better then you have been recently) just means you wont get to experience first hand how PRed members perform under tournament stress.

Observing matches to me also seems similar to watching videos. It may give you some insight into that players abillity, but till you're on the other end of that players abillity it's pretty hard to make an accurate assessment as to how godo they really are.

BUT THIS IS ALL JUST MY OPINION. I'm not a fellow panelist, I'm not even active in the tournament scene atm. This is just what I believe right now.

edit - And as trollish as Pete can be, I know I don't find comments like "He just has this face you would love to cave in" amusing. Can't speak for any one else though.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
I have a thing against arrogance_ Irs just something I've picked up along the way whilst working and dealing with all kinds of people_ Im sure you'll acknowledge that I am a very placid person and fairly passive_ Lets just say I'm lucky I have Babbs to keep me grounded_ Last comment for the night I'll play catch ups tomorrow_

Projected skill level tells me who to watch by the way Kane_ If someone has it but doesn't show it then they won't get a place I'm not so brash as to place somebody purely on potential_ On another note you seem to acknowledge that I could and should place higher which I am currenty again since switching from Olimar and his high placings he gave me_ This surely would indicate that given your accepting i have potential and more skill than shown that I would e capable of making rational decisions within the PR_ Its not just versing players that give indication_ Watch their body language too you start to notice things that indicate how they are responding to a situation_

It's cool though I see where you are coming from_ ******* ;)

Pete278

Smash Lord
Also yeah i pretty much take all of what Pete says as pig headed trolling_ He just has this face you would love to cave in_ That isn't an invite to incite me into doing it Pete_ :)
Now, really, as much as Kane would like to dog me into it, I wasn't intending to troll, I was actually raising concerns that Kane had. The :p faces that were after my lines didn't copy through, and regretably, I didn't notice until now. It completely changes the meaning of my sentences. However, I do take great offense at that comment of wanting to cave my face in. I've had problems with physical bullying at school before, and take such matters seriously.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
However, I do take great offense at that comment of wanting to cave my face in. I've had problems with physical bullying at school before, and take such matters seriously.
That's fresh Pete_ Cone talk to e when you want to know about serious life **** I could tell you things that would make bullying seem like childs play_ Dont pull the bullying card issues on me_ Here it is straight_ Youre arrogant attitude and assumption of people that don't agree with you are inferior to you is what crawls under my skin_ Although you have changed slighlty over the course of time I must admit that your arrogance is still strong and it's not your finest asset_ Personally I take most of what you say as random attempts at trolling and disregard most of them although your recent rebuttal to
my post about stages was well recieved and respected_

I am a hard person to push Pete you will learn that_ Ive dealt with enough **** to be bothered putting up with it again_ Someone as young as yourself needs to understand when it's more than a joke_

Physical bullying heals_ Mental bullying is where the real damage takes place_ Its harder to recover from a broken mind then it is broken bones_

Pete278

Smash Lord
In year 1, I had to witness my best friend (and only friend) lose his eye to a gang of bullies, and when I tried to fight to defend him, I was informed by the principle that I would be given detention for such acts, while the bullies were given two days suspension. Two days for removing a man's eye, and damaging the rest of his life. I had to remain at this school while my friend left (for obvious reasons) up until my graduation of primary school. Even at high school, I'm still being alienated by everyone, and because of lingering trauma, my personality will occasionally just break down under built by emotional pressure. I have one friend at my current school, Andy, and receive constant accusations from a good portion of the tough kids at school that I'm a ****** who's had a broomstick up his ***. I've dealt with alot more than you think so.

Spire

III
BRoomer
What is all this nonsense? Stop arguing. I should have infracted already, so take this as a cease and desist letter instead.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
In year 1, I had to witness my best friend (and only friend) lose his eye to a gang of bullies, and when I tried to fight to defend him, I was informed by the principle that I would be given detention for such acts, while the bullies were given two days suspension. Two days for removing a man's eye, and damaging the rest of his life. I had to remain at this school while my friend left (for obvious reasons) up until my graduation of primary school. Even at high school, I'm still being alienated by everyone, and because of lingering trauma, my personality will occasionally just break down under built by emotional pressure. I have one friend at my current school, Andy, and receive constant accusations from a good portion of the tough kids at school that I'm a ****** who's had a broomstick up his ***. I've dealt with alot more than you think so.
Is that it_? Look i'm sorry about your friend but your still suffering trauma over something that happened in year1_ Seriously grow up and learn to deal with things that where beyond your control and currently unfixable_ You obviously did the right thing in attempting to defend your friend but still saying it is traumatic at your age when it happened in year1 is dragging it out a little_

No offence Pete but your story, although unfortunate, is pathetic and you honestly have nothing on me_ I'm not spilling my life stories here on the boards for everyone to read so my advice to you is deal with it and learn to move on_ You will never get that eye back and just excluding yourself mentallity and physically whilst allowing yourself to be 'bullied' is pathetic_ You should toughen up and learn to overcome your issues rather than rolling over to die_ Sorry but your story didn't move me_

PS - i don't care if you infract me or i get a warning for trolling as i seem to have already_ This is not a troll_ This is me saying grow the **** up Pete and learn to resolve your issues instead of hiding behind them as a weak excuse_ I make a joke about caving your face in and you turn to "omg i have issues i'm bullied at school"_ Yeah if someone picked on you irl and you said that they would laugh and just ****ing punch you anyways_ Hiding behind your issues you will never overcome them and constantly hide behind your own self loathing_ Come to me when you have real issues and something that actually compares to what i've seen and done_ **** even Babbs makes you look like a ****ing *****_

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'm not going to infract these posts, but if they continue I'll close the thread.

Nothing personal, just doing my job.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Agreed - talk about the PRs on the PR thread, and don't bring personal lives onto the internet (seriously, guys, how many personal problems have ever been solved on the internet, hrmm???)

In response to the original post by Kane, I'm more in favour of taking Jupz off the panel more because he's never online, which is kinda important considering that's where discussions take place, y'know??? TBH I think knowledge of the scene and all that really doesn't come into play if someone can't discuss their opinions with the panel :p

Soz Jupz!!! <3

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Physical bullying heals_ Mental bullying is where the real damage takes place_ Its harder to recover from a broken mind then it is broken bones_
I'd just like to point out that while I more or less agree with this, there is also an element of mental damage from physical bullying, can you imagine the mental trauma at having your eye taken away because of some ******* who thinks he has the right to hurt you, can you imagine the rage and bitterness that guy must keep bottled up inside of him?

imo bsrk, what your saying does make sense but I bet whatever worse stuff your talking about doesnt compare to losing an eye.

anyways think of that as an afterthought and not an invatation to start argueing again (as much as I would love you too ;))

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Hah you won't get any argumet out of me Luke_ Look i'm sympathetical to his friend who lost an eye sure that's understandably terrible_ It wasn't Pete who lost the eye and I think he needs to start learning how to heal before he allows his mentallity to consume him_

I have personally witnessed sone terrible events which I would never disclose on a public forum out of respect, and I can personally say that pushing your problems onto others is really unfair and selfish when you are capable of healing yourself_ Few people realise this and feel it necessary to rely on others which only makes you weak_ I have alot of life experience for someone who is 24 and my partner really outshines me in terms of real life bull****_ Take it from me that you are only letting your situation worsen by not taking action or evaluating how you need to heal_

I apologise if I came across to harsh before but it is something I feel very strongly about and pushing your issues onto others is not the way to go_ Ill leave this alone now and allowthe thread to continue as intended_ I would advise for someone to remove the argument or at least Petes comment about his friend out f respect_

Toby.

Smash Master
Just want to say that Bsrk_'s posts were overwhelmingly ignorant, especially coming from somebody who claims to have dealt with hard times.

They sounded like the half baked assumptions of a pre-teen without the slightest capacity for empathy, nor ANY knowledge about the most basic psychological concepts.

But I see you are 24.

Thankfully, your wonderful post showed me that I can call your perspective "pathetic" and urge you to "grow the **** up", as long as I say no offence at some point.

(No offence)

Your apology was very nice, but telling somebody that they're dealing with their problems in a bad way when you don't really know anything about their problems (or how they deal with it!) outside of the very basics is stupid beyond words. All it amounts to is you taking the moral high ground without actually having any ground to stand on. The talk of respect was painfully ironic as well.

Oh and if you really give two ****s about removing the argument you can easily begin by editing out your own posts.

I am disappointed...but remain open to the possibility that the IRL Bsrk_ is very different to the one I'm seeing here. Still disappointed though.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Just want to say that Bsrk_'s posts were overwhelmingly ignorant, especially coming from somebody who claims to have dealt with hard times.

They sounded like the half baked assumptions of a pre-teen without the slightest capacity for empathy, nor ANY knowledge about the most basic psychological concepts.

But I see you are 24.

Thankfully, your wonderful post showed me that I can call your perspective "pathetic" and urge you to "grow the **** up", as long as I say no offence at some point.

(No offence)

Your apology was very nice, but telling somebody that they're dealing with their problems in a bad way when you don't really know anything about their problems (or how they deal with it!) outside of the very basics is stupid beyond words. All it amounts to is you taking the moral high ground without actually having any ground to stand on. The talk of respect was painfully ironic as well.

Oh and if you really give two ****s about removing the argument you can easily begin by editing out your own posts.

I am disappointed...but remain open to the possibility that the IRL Bsrk_ is very different to the one I'm seeing here. Still disappointed though.
Considering it happened in what year1 and he is now in year10/11, you would assume that he has had plenty of time to overcome his emotions and find a way to have dealt his 'problem'_ Hey i understand that everyone works in their own time but from my experience if you don't straighten it out sooner, then you are left with a very big vulnerability that only leaves you even more susceptible to abuse outside of school and further emotional anguish_

I guess i could have worded it better out of my anger so in short if he doesn't deal with it now then he possibly may never deal with it and cause himself further emotional damage in the future_ Unfortunately once you do get out of school the reality is life isn't any easier or fairer_ I've worked through construction, civil, industrial even mining and mobile/ fixed plant operation and i can tell you that your weaknesses get preyed upon at even the slightest showing_

You have to be tougher and stronger especially emotionally if you plan to continue safely and securely in life and from my experience, relying on others does make you weaker if you are unable to do it yourself_ It starts and ends with you and no-one but you is going to fix your mind_

I do respect the fact that his friend was injured and his story should not have been brought up on the boards by Pete which is rude and selfish on his behalf_ He should have contacted me personally instead of posting his friends traumatic experience on a public forum_ This immediately shows signs of weakness because he is relying on a story to instantly grant him sympathy from me which i can assure you many people won't care for or take advantage of in the work place_

Rather then blaming himself for his friends experience or it's results he should be positive that he attempted to help and may have stopped further injury or even death_ It is bold to defend someone when out numbered and you should look at the positives instead of the negatives and focus on healing and acceptance rather than loathing and regret_

Everyone has there problems, some more than others, and you need to see that life is bigger than you and other people are suffering so much more than you_ Until Pete learns to deal with his issues he is only hiding from himself_ Toby if you still disbelieve me or want me to tell you how i understand his experiences or have experienced worse then feel free to PM me i have no issues talking to anyone who is interested or has any questions_

I hope this better clarified things for you in a more appropriate way_

Trillest

Smash Ace
SO like Perth has tourneys and stuff and we play brawl some ppl are better then other that why we have the Perth power ranting thread so we can all see the amazingly awesome steaksauce rants from our top(mid um get back to me :p) ranters

As you can see im not good at this one day i'll make that top ten

True Romance

Smash Ace
Although I'll soon leave the PRs due to my plack of play, I'll always be ranked in the steaksauce ranter rankings. No one can take that away from me.

Muzga

Smash Ace
You guys have already been warned. Continuing the argument will result in this thread being closed
If you have to continue this argument then please keep it to pm's
Not trying to play mod, i just like this thread and would like to keep it

Muzga

Smash Ace
Well its a good thing your opinion doesnt count
ever

So we currently have a majority vote to replace jupz with andy. We just need to wait on bobs feedback before hes accepted into the ranks of the power ranking committee.
Also be expecting an updated PR in the near future

Vlade

Social Outcast
I hereby declare Andy to have replaced Jupz in the PR panel

Just waiting for him to accept the invitation

And like Andre said, PR will be updated VERY soon

MTGod

Smash Champion
There wasn't enough (if any) abusing of stage brokenness to warrant it not being counted I believe...

True Romance

Smash Ace
Don't know if it's been thrown around by the panel, but looking at some of the last results and who he's beaten, surely Pete would have to be considered as an honourable mention.

Just throwing it out there. I know he probably has this scrubby image that's difficult for the panel ignore, but times change.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
It has been 2 tournaments in with a character that few people have mu experience with_ The same could been seen with Jesse (sorry) and using Lucas_ He rocketed the first few tournaments until people began to understand the mu better and now he has faltered slightly_ It will be interesting to see how Pete stands given he is currently in the same position as Jesse was_ With further MU experience I will be watching how he still fares skill wise_

MTGod

Smash Champion
No prob, Bob - I made that same statement about my ability a while back :p

Top Bottom