• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] The Perth Power Rankings ~NEW UPDATE 23/09/10~ Version 5.2

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
I think that tournament placings is all that is letting some people down_ It cuts pretty evenly with the other requisites (projected skill level and overall skill level), there are some players who i feel have the knowledge and skills but seem to choke in a tournament environment_ I understand this all too well and would love to see some people really bite the bullet within the next few tournaments and step up there ranked matches_

People like Andy and Jesse have clearly come out running_ They obviously have the necessary skills to play viably and competitively, and have utilised a much more confident and relaxed attitude during tournament play_ It shows, and there are many more of us who are easily capable of becoming better if not better than some of our currently top ranked players_

I am well aware that many of you understand the matchups and playstyles of your opponents_ Vlade is not flawless, but only few people manage to upturn him in matches, whereas in friendlies i see a different result_ His advantage is playing intelligently and confidently, you just watch him when he starts to lose grip, it shows_

My predictions for future placements are as follows_

Jesse; An obvious choice with his current surge in the tournament scene_ Proving to work on his characters flaws and strengths intelligently, i can only hope that it's not just a lack of matchup experience that is getting him wins currently_ I doubt this is the case and see him adapting quite fluidly in future matches_

Quetz; He thinks like a melee player and has started to really play like a brawler_ He adapts fairly well to situations and is starting to get a solid foundation on how people work_ All this within a few tournaments and i feel that he will start to really work his game out and begin showing some better results in future matches_ I doubt it is a lack of matchup experience that is getting him wins as i see him utilising his characters frames and capabilities to almost full potential_

Trill; He has the smarts but like myself, chokes during matches_ Stupid mistakes and bad choices are currently letting him down in tournament play_ A confidence boost and some more intelligent behaviour will surely see him increase in potential tournament matches_ It's in his head now to break through the top 10_ I understand Trill's plight the most out of the majority of the scene and feel this is a battle easily won with the right concentration_

Graeme; Well well well_ For someone who doesn't research his characters, doesn't practise seriously and occasionally switches characters, i feel Graeme really adapts to this game_ From picking up the core mechanics of a character to fully utilising their capabilities in a matter of tournaments, i feel that graeme would do better with that tiny bit more research into AT and character specific techs_ He reads opponents well and also adapts his playstyle from observing other people_ I only need to explain something to him once and he very readily grasps the concept_ I feel some minor confidence boosts and research would really help him boost his skills for someone with a clever mind_

These are merely thoughts on people who are outside of the current 10 and have potential to make it within those boundaries, granted they overcome their own_

MTGod

Smash Champion
Pete said:
I like how you think Alzi and Jupz should move down due to lack of activity, but not Kane, despite the fact Kane won't be attending anymore at all. :p
Marty said:
But I don't think living away is a reason to be placed into a list..
I think he means that living away shouldn't protect you from moving out of the PRs :p

Anyway, the only thing I'm over 90% sure about it Andy moving up the rankings... His Diddy is ridiculously tough to beat, and when he knows a match-up he plays it near perfectly (when he's not suffering from sleep deprivation) :p It's been a while since he's played a tournament after sufficient sleep, so I would like to see that (hopefully at OID :D)... As for tournament placings, even if Sam/Ric/Kane/Glenn were there he should be placing 4th-7th in my opinion...

Other people I'm not as positive about, as the facts/stats tend to contradict what I see, so I'm not really going to mention them just yet... I don't like to make predictions that I'm not sure about :p

Saturday if I'm with you guys I'm going to be bugging all of you with stage counter-picking questions, so be prepared xD (BTW TY for all the confidence guys :D)

MTGod

Smash Champion
Lucas CPs vary horridly depending on opponent... HORRIDLY... Not sure what it's like for other characters, but it's definitely not as simple as FD/SV for Diddy... AFAIK Lucas doesn't really have a stage he is constantly good on (that's not banned, or has a lot of characters better than him on it...)

Trillest

Smash Ace
yes but if your comfortable on brinstar doesn't mean u sound take mk there :p also on the other hand if a stage is better for your character but u don't like it don't feel obliged to play it

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Snake = Halberd and then usually SV for CP_ Those 2 are your most likely choices and Halberd should always be banned against Snake_ If not then learn to abuse it_

The other thing you are missing is not just knowing your own characters stronger CP options, but also knowing how to ban appropriately alongside what CP your opponents will be choosing_ Sometimes your opponent has 2 choices (ie Diddy) so you ban depending on which benefits you most_ Majority of the time players will prefer being CP on SV over FD_

Knowing your own strengths/weaknesses is only a quarter of the battle_ Knowing your enemies strengths/ weaknesses and then exploiting them is where the real fun begins_

Brinstar is awsome btw Trill ;)

Alzi

Smash Master
Well you see i wil judge the current power rankings.

#1 Corpsecreate- He will stay there until he quits coming to tournaments.

#2 Vlade- Vlade will stay second for awhile aswell. But i still don't think that vlade is at samuel's level yet. But i do believe if he went over east he would actually perform well and beat some of the top guns there. For me samuel is just at a crazy level. But yeah Vlade great player even if he stuffs up a few times he won't be going down.

#3 Richard- Can't say much but he should stay 3rd until he recovers.

#4 Roman- Kane pff he isn't even good at brawl he admits it aswell he's only good because he uses high tiers and he sneakly has dropped metaknight and moved onto ice climbers acting as if he isn't still a tier *****. ;) hahaha. Nah kane will drop because he won't be coming to tournaments for a long time i believe?

#5 Glenn- Hmm this is tricky. I can't really comment about Glenn as i haven't vs'd him in a long time. I know he did beat Vlade and Ric a few times but thats only because they were playing the IC MU stupid imo lol. Glenn will rise up to fourth.

#6 Muzga- Really good player. But i'm not too sure if he will drop or rise 1 once kane gets removed. As i stated before the tournament i went to is were he placed below Andy and I and that was only one tournament so i cannot judge if he should rise or go down based on one tournament we need more proof whether or not that day was just not his day or whether it was his day just others were better then him.

#7 Alzi- Don't want to say anything will let others decide.

#8 Ghnaschnakoff- As seen in the matches before they were really close but i will be honest in two matches i think it was i got greedy and tried to spike you which i think did cause me the lose in those matches. But even if that happened my point still stands that you are around my level of play and play against certain characters better but i believe that is because you main diddy kong and we all hate him. :p

#9 Jupz- Haven't vs'ed jupz in ages his knowledge about smash is 3rd best in our scene and yeah not sure if he doesn't attend a few more he will probally get kicked out the rankings and get replaced by TRILL.

#10 Lord Bowser- I think he should rise one above jupz then move in Jesse in 10th place or trill depending how they go this tournament coming up.

I thought Lord Bowser wasn't so good but i vs'ed his game and watch in a friendly and realised he has a strong understanding of what stages to ban and counterpick so i believe he should go above Jupz if Jupz doesn't attend a few more tournaments.

Also does would Thriller be taken into consideration for me? Since it shows how i do againts the east but too be honest i probally won't get out of pools as there is a **** load of pro players coming along. All the big names will be there i hope to friendly them all aswell.

Also vlade if you go wario again on brinstar and do the *** taunt with him i swear to god i will pull out the metaknight in anger. LOL. <3

MTGod

Smash Champion
yes but if your comfortable on brinstar doesn't mean u sound take mk there :p
Hah, freakin', hah... At least I didn't lose to a Diddy on RC with Rob :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
So, I'm PRETTY sure the PRs aren't going to change after this tournament :p Thoughts???

Trillest

Smash Ace
Depends jesse the 3 still could move say andre gets beaten by hypo josh & you and comes last (not that he will) or smae with other ranked players something like that should definitely be taken into account

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Realistically the only place that will differ is Kane's_ Which would mean a shift upwards and a couple of slight changes or shift in position_ The truth is though he is still better than most of you_ Note the 'most'_

MTGod

Smash Champion
Realistically the only place that will differ is Kane's_ Which would mean a shift upwards and a couple of slight changes or shift in position_ The truth is though he is still better than most of you_ Note the 'most'_
It's tough, though, because we now don't have an accurate measure of his skill - we are only working on a memory of how he used to play, and are applying it to current measurements of how we play... This doesn't matter much now as he's only recently left, but the more time that passes without Kane being in Perth the more "outdated" our memories of his skill becomes, and the less 'correct' it becomes to use against current measurements of our skill... Same goes for people who don't attend tournaments :p

Alzi

Smash Master
Jupz + Kane removed and replaced with two new players for the time being?

Maybe a few adjusments with Muzga, Alzi, Andy aswell depending on the next few tournaments.

Ric should still stay where he is though imo. :( We shoudn't even touch him until he gets back to be honest.

Alzi

Smash Master
Are you trying to suggest you should go above him Vlade? That will never happen. Samuel is a brick wall unless you are mainly enough to be able to run through brick walls then you might be able to go above him.

So i guess Ric, Kane, Jupz will get removed until they attend a tournament then get replaced back in the power rankings.

Would my Thriller attendence count towards the power rankings? Since i am competiting against diffrent players in diffrent states so it might aswell so the panelist know how i do against the east.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Nah I'm not, I was merely stating a fact. You said that richard shouldn't be taken off, which technically means Samuel shouldn't either.

Thriller would mean more if there were other perth people, but if you come like top 4 thriller that could change things

True Romance

Smash Ace
Within the context of the power rankings of a state, tournament placings are irrelevant, it's who you beat. So in the same way the Squat placings were used to compare the WA players who attended against each other and no one else in the scene(as far as I know) I imagine the same view will be taken to all interstate tourneys.

So for example at Squat, Ric placed higher then Andre who placed higher then Trav. So when deciding what impact Squat had on the WA power rankings I imagine the panelists decided that Ric>Andre>Trav instead of "Well Ric beat such and such so he must be awesome".

Correct me if I'm wrong panelists but this is what I've been lead to believe by a few of you. So Alzi if you were to win thriller (lol) but no other Perthians were there I'm thinking it'd have zero impact on the rankings.

Alzi

Smash Master
I will definatly win Thriller and amaze you all. (LOL)

Nah but say if i beat J-Birds were ric lost to him woudn't that be taken into some small account?

Or if i played better then Andre did at squat woudn't that just be of some back up to arguments to certain panelist who want to put me lower or higher? But theres heaps of pro's going to thriller so that should be taken into account if i do bad aswell. ;)

Not saying i should go higher or anything in the PR btw, just wanting to know if me attending Thriller will be taken into some sort of proof in the future when they do decide to change the rankings.

True Romance

Smash Ace
Not saying i should go higher or anything in the PR btw, just wanting to know if me attending Thriller will be taken into some sort of proof in the future when they do decide to change the rankings.
Well you can keep asking the same question and hope for a different answer I guess. But if you read my last post, and like comprehended it, you'd probably come to the conclusion that the answer is most likely no.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Alzi it depends whoyou beat also_ Say you beat someone who is known to be a formidable opponent even in comparison to the Perth scene (ie Tibs or Shaya), then it would be taken into consideration otherwise read above_

Alzi

Smash Master
#1 Corpsecreate *Toon Link
#2 Vlade *Falco / MK
#3 Alzi *Toon Link
#4 Glenn *Ice climbers
#5 Trill *ROB
#6 Andy *Diddy Kong
#7 Muzga *Metaknight
#8 Lord Bowser *Bowser / Game and watch
#9 Quetz *Peach
#10 Jesse *Lucas

I believe thats what we will be looking at soon.

Alzi

Smash Master
Ric is going to get removed sooner or later. :(

But yeah maybe you above Glenn after you give his popo some **** etc.

Muzga

Smash Ace
I think i should be moved down below andy for now
That being said you people hype him too much, especially you buff.
I dont see why trill should be moved up so high. I'm inclined to push for him to make the power rankings but that is a huge jump and there is a lack of sufficient evidence to say that he is better then andy or myself. I also think that we should actually see more of glenn, I havent played against him in a set in months. We need to see how glenn does against more of our pr players because i understand hes lost against trav in sets a couple of times. I think glenn needs to prove that he deserves his position.

Quetz and trill have both displayed enough skill to make it onto the PR as far as i see it

Alzi

Smash Master
Yeah Andy isn't really that amazing it's only diddy kong and when he keeps hitting you with banana's you just trip and he can get in free grabs or smashes. Like with me i could go a diffrent character in a tournament and still place well. ;)

Andre i do believe you still are a better player then andy it's just these past few tournaments i don't think you've shown much of what you are actually capable of. Doesn't seem your tuned into brawl as much as you were before.

Yeah i only put Buff high from his latest win in a tournament just to make him happy alittle and hype him up. ;) lol.

Yeah once Ric, Kane and Jupz get removed Quetz and trill and maybe Jesse will definatly make it in the Power Rankings.

Nah but i do believe if trill beat andy and performed well in a tournament he will do it again. If i was there i obviously would of won but still Trill is improving for a robot. ;)

When i say mean things with these power rankings i don't mean them as a personal attack just as a funny joke btw. lol.

Muzga i will teach you somthing about metaknight when i get the chance maybe after i come back from holidays. I believe once i have told you this you will be a even better metaknight player.

I also believe once kane comes back and realises his ice climbers are getting ***** hard he will move back to metaknight. :p I think Glenn will also be getting depressed after me winning him all the time and drop down a few places from this depression.

True Romance

Smash Ace
#1 Corpsecreate *Toon Link
#2 Vlade *Falco / MK
#3 Alzi *Toon Link
#4 Glenn *Ice climbers
#5 Trill *ROB
#6 Andy *Diddy Kong
#7 Muzga *Metaknight
#8 Lord Bowser *Bowser / Game and watch
#9 Quetz *Peach
#10 Jesse *Lucas

I believe thats what we will be looking at soon.
Well I believe it will look like this soon.

1 - Andy
2 - Quetz
3 - Corpsecreate
4 - Marteh
5 - Pete
6 - Baconfingers
7 - Bsrk
9 - Vlade
10 - Hypo Josh

That's gonna be the top ten next update for sure.

edit - fine only cos rick has whinged, ****ing obsessed with spot ten much?!

Top Bottom