• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Fawk

Smash Rookie
Well then, it looks as though I'll definitely be seeing you guys down there. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you. And if there isn't anybody dropping out, we might have to "convince" them right guys?

Also, does anybody know what time the tourney starts?

TunaInTheBrine

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, been meaning to introduce myself for a while now.. now's an opportune moment as I can answer Fawk's q :bee:

Firstly, the introduction- my names Daniel, I'm currently studying at UWA, and I live in Alexander Heights. I will be at the tourney on Saturday, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you :)

As for the tourney start time, I'm 99% sure it's 11am. Cya there!

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Ya, it's 11.

I remember staring at the tourney poster for what seemed like 5 minutes after I realised it said all places had been taken. :p

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Heyas, looking forward to seeing you all this Saturday :)
Just a quick question, could anyone please post briefly what rules they decided to settle on? I haven't been able to make it up there to check myself. Also, i trust it is BYO controller, correct?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Not sure on rules (other than smash balls ar eon) but I'll be calling up alter, I'll post here.

Hey Kowz! I think that might be me behind you in that pic! Also the guy on the left who's touching mario's head? The guy that's right of him is another smasher :D

EDIT: Okay, got the rules.

4 way free for alls
Items are on, though the guy I spoke with said he wasn't sure which ones, though most likely healings are off, and smash balls are on.

I asked about stock, or time, he said "10 minutes, 15 kills" which to me = huh?

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Yeah... lol wut?

Eh... I guess it doesn't matter TOO much about the rules (apart from the potential to lose your money a little too easily). I think it's more about finding out what the community's like etc for the future.

Fawk

Smash Rookie
Yeah, especially if you do the math. 10 minutes for 16 groups of 4 is almost 3 hours. And that's just the first bracket. If 15 kills is stock then that's ok, and it might not take the full 10 minutes, but if it means getting your score to 15 in a timed match then it will almost definitely take the full 10 minutes. Unless they have multiple consoles. Which they better have. At the very least I'm not missing out on any singles/doubles action.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Here's hoping they do use brackets and, god forbid, don't use tournament mode >.<

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
The rules certainly do matter. Exp from running a tournament = if you don't budget your time correctly you run out. 100% of the time.

Hi to the new guys!
What I meant when I posted was that it was a Gametraders tourney; obviously tourneys from Nintendo or game stores are going to have rules which cater for the casual players more than the serious competitors.

When I said the ruleset didn't matter; I meant it in the sense that this tournament will mostly be a learning experience, to learn who the more serious players are and how brawl fairs when played competitively; but mainly finding other people to play. I should have reworded that; obviously the rules do matter, it's just that the results of the tournament aren't neccessarily going to reflect the overall skill of each player like tournaments with the established ruleset would.

Egh... I hope that makes sense, lol. :dizzy: :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Basically, you're saying it won't matter in the long run.

Fawk

Smash Rookie
I'm going to go ahead and bet that an Ike wins the tournament. Free for alls were just made for that guy. Besides, he probably has friends watching, and he'll be fighting for them.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Lol...

Yeah... as long as the tourny's reasonably well organised, I doubt the results will be the thing that really matters.

I was wondering before how the thing would go if it was 1 on 1 matches with 64 competitors... but now that it's 4 way ffa, I don't think I would've stood a chance anyway. I'm more of the guy who racks up all the damage in FFAs and has other people steal his kills, then knock him out while they're at it. :ohwell:

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
Not sure on rules (other than smash balls ar eon) but I'll be calling up alter, I'll post here.

Hey Kowz! I think that might be me behind you in that pic! Also the guy on the left who's touching mario's head? The guy that's right of him is another smasher :D

EDIT: Okay, got the rules.

4 way free for alls
Items are on, though the guy I spoke with said he wasn't sure which ones, though most likely healings are off, and smash balls are on.

hmm... i was preparing for a standard stock tournament as well, but with these rules, i dont think Meta Knight will be the best choice =( guess im gonna have to practice with someone else... and get good quick!

see some of you folks tomorrow then!

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
wow, the Game Traders tournament was a lot of fun =D for those who didnt go, the place was completely packed to begin with, and there were plenty of exciting matches to watch and great people to meet. there were more Wolf's, Toon Link's, Olimar's and Marth's than i care to mention, though...

i got through to the quarter finals using Meta Knight (against Lucas and two Toon Links), but couldnt manage a win in the following match (on Luigi's Mansion for some reason... Zelda took the win). it was a Wolf vs Toon Link final, with the cartoon hero taking the prize

heres hoping Game Traders run more tournaments in the future =)

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hey DryBones..
Nice game at the tourney and grats to the winner..
Understandable about the sudden death ruling they had being a bit off putting.. I personally was against it but i guess what can you do when its not your rules..

I was however very impressed with the amount of good players that made the effort to show and make their presence known, and would be very interested in seeing some standard stock 1v1's happening..

I think you meant to say too many game and watch's in their instead of Olimar's ;) but yeah i was surprised to see a lack of some other characters who are considered as strong (ie, other furries, lucario even a luigi would have been interesting).

Anyways i'll be home for the next 2 - 3 weeks so my friend is posting up some details on a tournament we are planning..

BLAH..!

abraxis

Smash Rookie
** PK Brawl Tournament! 3RD MAY **

So some of us Rockingham crew were bouncing around the idea of a Brawl tourney, after seeing how many quality players showed up at the Gametraders tourney - we thought we'd like to put on something with a more fair and competitive ruleset ;)

PK Brawl Tournament - Saturday May 3rd
18 Morfontaine Pde, Port Kennedy WA

* Singles (Teams considered based on interest) *

Maps: standard tournament approved /w counterpicks.

Format: 3 stock double elimination, finals best of 3.

Items: n/a (possible 'tournament' item set, please provide feedback on this idea. NO SMASH BALLS!).

Prize: considering $5 entrance, winner takes all (once again, feedback!).

BYO controllers + drinks, we will organise pizza later on.
If required we can arrange lifts from Warnbro train station.
There is adequate space for anyone that would like to stay the night.

We have a big high def TV setup /w component cables. We also have a second TV that could be used for practice games, so if someone would like to bring their Wii and Brawl/Freeloader it would be appreciated.

RSVP: please let us know by the 26th of April if you would like to attend. contact number is 0422461561.

Spread the word and feel free to comment on the rules / setup :p

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Quick note on this..

When you message me to let us know your availability, please leave your screen name and a return contact number so we are able to start constructing a tourney ladder after the R.S.V.P time..
Giving us details on which character you played at GameTraders tourney also might help us better decide on the setup of who vs who..

I will be looking into getting my laptop setup to record footage of each match-up to then post on these forums and adequate character forums (given the players consent)..

Any details on programs, software or setups we can use for match recordings would be greatly appreciated..

START TIME WILL BE 11AM SHARP.. PLEASE COMMENT ON IF THIS INCONVENIENCES YOU OR NOT BECAUSE OF TRAVEL ETC AND WE WILL TRY TO WORK AROUND THE MAJORITY..

BLAH..!

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
oh i almost forgot... a quick congratulations to Mic_128, who got through the first round using Pokemon Trainer =D

abraxis, im definitely in for your smashfest providing you get enough people. the $5 prize pool is an interesting idea too...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hahaha, I choose you, charizard! Annoyed at missing out on getting past the quarter finals (pressed B too fast after getting the smashball and ended up using water gun as I fell to my death >.<)

I can garante I'll be there for PK Brawl, and if needed can bring *** Brawl (No fighting for your friends, Ike!)

While it wasn't the most 'competitive' tourney, it was still a blast!

Oh, and I spoke with one of the staff after, they said they'll be 'definetly doing another one, but not sure where or when' as they suggested booking a hall or something, which would kick all kinds of ***. They were surprised it went so well since Halo 3's tourney had about half not turn up.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Yeah DryBones..
The idea was everyone who wants to compete chips in $5 to form a prize pool which the winner then takes as the 1st place prize..
Consideration is given to perhaps splitting the pool 80% to 1st 20% to 2nd but its always open to suggestions..

Thoughts were also to have the $5 entrance for the team tournament also per team to form a prize pool for that.. But once again it all comes down to consideration..

My general thoughts were that having some kind of prize pool would also add as incentive for some players to come and be more competitive, hopefully bringing out some intense match-ups and inticing everyone to really come and give it all they got..

Video footage should help the perth scene represent itself a bit more solidly and help players start becoming more recognised as serious smashers..

The thoughts and ideas are all there so its up to everyone who's keen and interested to get the smash scene in perth rolling and more prominent to start voicing their opinions/ ideas and hopefully this tournament might be the start of something we need.. :d

abraxis

Smash Rookie
cheers for the support bones + mic!

we are shooting for at least 16 people to make the event.
so factor in our crew (myself, riot, calertra, azsf, s&y) and we need about 9 more people to get this thing rolling. tell your friends ;)

yeah, i was one of the legion of wolves at gametraders, made the second round but got screwed over by luigis mansion ... that map gimps the landmaster >_> nasty self death trying to chase a pit that was stalling under the ledge pretty much sealed it for me. was definately a great atmosphere though, ill def make the next one they decided to hold. so cut that i didn't make the 1v1 duels!

do you think we can gather enough people for PK Brawl through smashboards / friends to make it viable, or should i throw together a poster to put up at gametraders and some other places?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
do you think we can gather enough people for PK Brawl through smashboards / friends to make it viable, or should i throw together a poster to put up at gametraders and some other places?
Off the top of my head I can think of about 8-9 that could come, but I'd still advertise, more is better afterall!

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Ah, so you were the guy in the green 1 up shirt, Mic... don't think I wanted to ask just incase I was wrong for fear of failure. I was the guy maining Marth in those friendly matches we had between rounds... think it was after your FS failure with Squirtle on Luigi's mansion... you were doing great up until then. :(

I managed to pick up a spot in the tourney since someone didn't show up, but I got knocked out quickly in the first round due to a mix of weird rules/wrong character/not being used to the whole tourney scene. It wasn't even that much of a tournament competitively... yet I struggled to find my rhythm at first due to nerves. By the time I'd found it I was 3 stocks behind the leaders (Pit and Game and Watch for this match) and couldn't come back.

Hope to see some get togethers and whatnot in the near future; I could definitely do with some practice. Also, just another quicky, but when you organise meets, do you guys still play melee? I only really started to get back into the game early last year after my friends dropped it for two years, so I'd definitly like to put those new developed skills to some actual use, as well as develop them some more, I suppose. :bee:

Edit:
possible 'tournament' item set, please provide feedback on this idea. NO SMASH BALLS!)
Um, perhaps...

- fireflower
- homerun bat
- Star rod
- Fan
- Super Scope
- Ray Gun
- Lip's Stick
- Green Shell
- Freezie
- Mr Saturn
- Hot Head
- Banana
- Spring
- Franklin Badge

This is the set they used for the Family Fun Arcade tournament, minus the Fan and Homerun bat; see the getyourtournament youtube channel for details. Depends on whether people still want to ban homerun bat and fan for their easy KO'ing abilities...

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Hey Kowbrainz, were you the red Marth? If you were then I was the green Sonic in the game before you , I came so close to getting through to the next round but lost to wolf in the last 5 seconds, it was heaps of fun though and I'll definitely be showing up to more later on down the track.
It is really exciting to see that we have a strong community interest in creating a competitive Perth Brawl scene, hopefully I will be able to see you all again at PK Brawl :D

Btw, if you want when you sign up for PK Brawl you can include your screen name and controller setup and I will make sure to get your profile set up before you arrive so you can go straight in to playing when we start.

abraxis

Smash Rookie
Kow -

i like your list, although in the interest of minimising zero to death item combos id exclude the fan, baseball bat, hot head and ray gun from the list.

for now im still of the impression that items are unneccessary, but a limited list like this (on Low setting) could help counteract camping to some extent. we'll see what people have to say anyways.

as for melee, personally i havent played it since brawl came out - id rather spend my time trying to improve my brawl game... but hey, we'll have a cube and a copy of melee lying around if anyone wants a few rounds.

oh... and are you interested in coming down for the tourney?

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
just for the sake of reference, i was the guy wearing the dark blue polo shirt, playing against Mic in the luigis mansion match =) i spoke to a lot of people there, and i might have said hello to a few of you...

in regard to your tournament abraxis, ive gotta say that ill be strongly against items being included at all. but im just one person, and im still happy to play if others want them in =)

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
@Cal: Yeah, that was probably me, in the 12th group. I didn't watch the match before me, though; had my eyes on the other screen. :bee:

I don't usually play with items on or anything, was just suggesting a set; removing hotheads, rayguns, homerun bats and fans and setting items on low should be okay for items matches; but that said, I'd still prefer games without items. Depends on how you go for time I suppose.

Port Kennedy's about an hour from where I am (South Perth); hopefully I'm able to come but it'll require a bit of planning in terms of transport etc. I don't drive at the moment so I'd have to catch a train and maybe a bus in; think of this as an expression of interest, but not much more just yet.

@DB: Ah, I was wondering who "the guy in the dark blue shirt" was. :bee::)

abraxis

Smash Rookie
look to be honest as it stands items are off for this tourney, unless anyone can put up a convincing argument.

shouldn't be any transport issues... just jump the train down and we can give you a lift from the station :)

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
I'm waiting on a new simcard (dropped my old phone in the water during a rowing session... :laugh:), so I'll give you a contact number as soon as I can. :)

Yeah, I guess I don't mind items too much in the occasional friendly, but for the sake of the tournament I'll say no.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
I'm waiting on a new simcard (dropped my old phone in the water during a rowing session... :laugh:), so I'll give you a contact number as soon as I can. :)

Yeah, I guess I don't mind items too much in the occasional friendly, but for the sake of the tournament I'll say no.

You sound like a guy who has a kowzbrain on for size.

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, we will almost definitely not be using items for this tournament, it was mainly just something we were wondering about as we had heard of them being tested in other tournaments such as the one on youtube. Anyways, I'll probably put a poster together when i get the time, from the looks of things we should be able to get a strong turnout.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If you wanted btw, I could post on aussie-nintendo.com about it, would more than likely get a few more smashers coming.

Fawk

Smash Rookie
How exciting, I'll definitely be there. As long as you guys still have room, that is. I could also bring along 3-4 people if you need numbers.

abraxis

Smash Rookie
@fawk : yeah man, good to hear :D
shoot us a message on 0422461561 to confirm a spot - theres lots of room so feel free to sign your mates up too.

@mic : you sir, are a legend. thanks for posting those up.

Top Bottom