• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Hey, expressed interest in joining the Perth smash community years ago but I was a bit young then, now though... I will have my own transport soon (License) and will be 18 in July (Finally 8D).

So are you guys gonna really big on Brawl Tourneys etc etc. Thats all I really wanted to know... yeah.

Thanks in advance,

Vert.
You sound like me a year and a half ago. My birthday is also in July. ^_^

Wtf @ Brawl. Never heard of it. We only play GH3 and other non-smash related games now. <_< >_>

P.S. Who would be interested in another Mandurah gamefest this weekend? (Potential for an overnighter, either Sat-Sun or Sun-Mon... yes I know you would have to leave early on Sunday night Ryan <,<)

I *might* have to ask people to chip in for pizzas or bring a few snacks this time. Although I have more money than I expected, I really should be saving to get a new car. ;_;

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Of course we will be interested in Brawl tourneys. This is, afterall, SWF. ^_^

Anyway, welcome to the scene. Enjoy your stay with us evildoers. >=) What suburb do you live in? If you're interested in some gaming but can't drive yourself I'm sure someone could give you a lift on the way down to Mandurah/up to Perth or you can use the new train line. =)

Shifty McSly

Smash Cadet
ah dammit, I'm working this weekend. Ah well, perhaps oran and I will host the weekend after, we're moving into a rental place, which promises to be sweet.

on a side note, I was hoping to "acquire" brawl via the internet (take that how you will), but it seems there's some crazy copy protection, and an update on the disc that promises to brick any consoles capable of playing imported games. sigh.

_Vert

Smash Rookie
Cool, thanks for the welcome <3 and I will probably wait until I get my P's... 2 weeks probably maybe a bit more and drive myself.

I live in High Wycombe, and I have Bringer / Musgrave's MSN from way back when so that's a way I could get info.

Once and again thanks for the welcome and info much <3.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
ah dammit, I'm working this weekend. Ah well, perhaps oran and I will host the weekend after, we're moving into a rental place, which promises to be sweet.

on a side note, I was hoping to "acquire" brawl via the internet (take that how you will), but it seems there's some crazy copy protection, and an update on the disc that promises to brick any consoles capable of playing imported games. sigh.
If this means anything to you...
omnigamer in the staffer shack said:
New info has it working on some modchips, and not others. Also, one brave soul tried the update anyway, and it worked out fine and he can play Brawl. The problem was that it gave him the "duplicate channels" bug, which is a minor headache but doesn't affect the overall use of the Wii.

So, it does work with certain modchips. It's not exactly a new copy protection, just a very odd format of disc.

Shifty McSly

Smash Cadet
Interesting. Well, I've ordered a U.S. copy now anyway, should arrive just a few days after the U.S. release, I guess I'll have to research which chips will allow me to play it. A JP copy just seemed like too much effort.

Fawk

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any idea about freeloaders and Brawl? I want it, but I'm a little apprehensive about all the rumours going around about disc/lens failures and what not. Any recommendations?

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
I have bought a freeloader and a copy of US brawl

it seems to be working fine so far, i havent had that much of a chance to play it, however i will get stuck into it and get all the charactes/stages for tournaments and stuff.

i will not be putting my wii online until i am sure that nintendo are not releasing an update that will screw with the freeloader system.

until then, i am very happy with it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Cubed, you manually choose to get the updates, so you can have your Wii online fine.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hey..

Just throwin out there that theres a few brawlers representing from Rockingham..

So add myself and about 3 others that are up for any tourneys that people wanna start up in the near future.. We also have our own place and a mad sized T.V +spare, if anyone is willing to bring the rest for later tourneys..

Been playing Olimar and trying out Lucario lately, mate plays Wolf (sigh) and others play Pit/ Toon Link, Sonic/ Marth and Snake/ Kirby..

Just wondering also if the date posted on your first post is june 2008..? or stil waiting to be updated.. Anyways till then.. BLAH..

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
i live in Canning Vale, and Rockingham is about a 15 minute drive, so if you're organising something, im there mate!

i use meta knight personally, by the way =D

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Heh..

Yeah I wouldn't mind organising something after i get more of a tourney feel for things but been looking into it further-ish..

Got into Melee a bit too late to start gettin serious bout it but we scored Brawl off the bat so hoping to see what the Perth scenes all about and maybe if i can learn a thing or 2 from you lads/ lasses..(?)

BLAH..

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
More perthites, yay!

I think we need to look at organising a 'Test' tourney at some point in a few months time. Round robin style would be cool because 1) We'd probably have pleanty of time for it and 2) Experience in match ups would be good for all.

Then again 3) I could be just getting revved up from all the discussion about stages and stuff in the stage room.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Gametraders in the city will be hosting a SSBB tournament on the 19th of april, for more information i suggest contacting them and expressing interest.

myself and josh will be going, most likely kenton and bryce too.

depending on the turnout, this tournament will be a very good benchmark to set the scene for future perth tournaments.

if there is a strong showing then i will consider more seriously the possibility of hosting private tournaments for the more serious players.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes oh hell yes

MixMaster

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in and say hi. It's nice to see some people are actually alive in perth, i got brawl and would be glad to catch up with some of u guys and get some smash on.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sweet, even more. What suburb are you in?

The gametraders tourney: Only 64 slots avainale, 10 buck entry fee and must sign up in person.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Looking at hosting a smashfest this weekend, Sat or Sun better for all?

Dedu

Smash Lord
Either day works fine. Though in my experience I tend to find Saturdays are better for meets.

Go go Masterchief!!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Okay, I'm hosting on this SUNDAY. Any TV's, Wii's and whatever that can be brought would be greatly apprecieted (since I'll only have one available here)

Anyone's welcome, but if it's your first time, SMS ME to say you're coming so I know what to do about dinner. Don't want to have a bbq and find that we've only got enough meat for half of the turnups.

Number: 0434858801
Address 6 Sandalwood Close Beechboro

BYO controllers are recommended.

Starts from ~12:30ish and I'll have to start kicking people out latest 11ish due to uni early in the AM.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Nets been down for ages so im 'borrowing' my neighbours net wirelessly..
Tomorro sounds sweet but ill check if the lads are up for it when they ever get home so expect a late sms if i do decide to throw you one..

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Heya, Cal here, one of the smashers from the Rockingham area.

It was good fun getting to meet you all and we had some epic games, I'll definitely make an effort to show up to smash gatherings whenever I can :D
Sorry about having to head off so early, hopefully next time we will be able to stay for the whole time.
Anyways, it was great to meet you all, and I look forward to meeting you all again soon.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sonic vs Squirtle is one hell of a fun matchup! Heh, had an awesome time guys, thanks for coming! Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully people won't be sick/too slack to take the train so theyre'll be more people.

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Hay guys...

My name's Nathan... you could either choose to call me by that or my ridiculously stupid sounding online alias, Kowbrainz or Kowz for short.

Anyway, I'm in year 11 down in South Perth... recently received Brawl and Freeloader in the mail, but online play doesn't seem sufficient. So I think playing in some casual and/or competitive tourneys should fix that.

I'll try and sign up for this gametraders tournament this week... holidays ftw. Hope to see you guys there!

~Kowz

Fawk

Smash Rookie
It's not going to happen kowz. I'm 99.9% certain all the places were booked very quickly. Although I'm going to call to double check. Either that or I'll cry.

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Yeah... I thought I editted that post this morning... :/

Anyway, you're right; all the places were filled when I went in this morning. Had no idea so many people had already imported in Perth. Might be a good sign for the competitive game here...

I might come down and watch some matches on Sat anyway; just see what level everyone else is at and try to pick up some tactics or combos if I can.

Fawk

Smash Rookie
By the way, this is Spike. We've played on wi fi a few times. And that might not be such a bad idea actually. Maybe I'll see you there.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Come on down, there's almost always dropouts who don't turn up. At the elast, you can see competition for future tournaments, and advertise the Perth Scene (I'll bring down a flier or something to get stuck up advertising here (hopefully)

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Eh... I'm not sure about people not turning up. Maybe so for the DS connection tour tourneys, but when you have to pay $10 entry, it seems unlikely. We'll see though; I'll bring along some cash just incase.

Anyway... here's a pic from a few years back if you need help recognising me, lol...
http://mario20th.nintendo.com.au/img/Garden-City-12.jpg (blue jumper, next to mario :p)

Shouldn't be too different... I'm still just as short with the same(ish) hair. :p

Top Bottom