• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
I'm working on getting these videos compressed and uploaded now, but it might take a while. I'll post them along with a list of the completed brackets most likely by tonight.

Edit: Hmm, might have spoken too soon :S.
Looks like it might take a bit longer to get them all up, well I'll just aim to get them uploaded asap.

Fawk

Smash Rookie
Hey guys..

Thanks to everyone who showed up.. The turnout was good considering a few people had car troubles and couldn't make it
I'm honestly still kicking myself. But in all fairness, you try taking a '76 Kingswood from Midland to Rockingham. I need a new car >_<

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Agh, nasty.

Guess I'm glad I can still take the train/bus routes down with the student discounts. Don't think I'll bother going for my L's anytime soon anyway... :ohwell:

Muzga

Smash Ace
It was a good turnout, Cheers for holding the tournament in the first place:D

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
LOL GTA IV was win.. Nothing beats killing hospital employers and goers.. Good times..

Might hold another in about a month or so after we figure out ways to destroy toon link.. It could take longer though >.>.. Expect video posts soon..!

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Oh, that's the thing I was meaning to ask but I had to leave early... just wondering exactly how Cal's able to get his direct feed from the TV? I'm not too worried about the quality of the output, it's just that the old method I used when recording from melee only works for games in 50hz... think it's to do with the age of my camera, lol.

Another one in a month would be awesome... at least then I'd already know the train/bus routes and wouldn't have to fret about it the night before when Transperth starts freezing up... :p

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
I was getting the video through a capture card called the Leadtek DTV1000T which goes inside my computer. It gives me a CVBS input on the back of my computer which i just run the cable to directly from the television's video output. You can get analogue versions of it as well, which connect to your computer via a usb connection - that is what i need to use if i record on my laptop. Feel free to ask any more questions you have if your unsure about something, I'm happy to help.

Anyways I'm getting very close to finishing the compression on these videos, it's taking way longer than i would have thought and lagging my computer out completely, but it's getting there slowly.

I'm currently uploading the completed brackets atm, i'll update this post with them as soon as they finish.

Edit: Here they are:
Winner's Bracket
Loser's Bracket

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm honestly still kicking myself. But in all fairness, you try taking a '76 Kingswood from Midland to Rockingham. I need a new car >_<
Aw not the kingswood!

Had a great time guys! Here's hoping those who couldn't make it, make it next time, would be sweet. Also, methinks I need to get one of our guys to take up wolf so i can practise against the guy.

Also, I'm never going to a hospital in Liberty city.

Ever.

Muzga

Smash Ace
LOL GTA IV was win.. Nothing beats killing hospital employers and goers.. Good times..

Might hold another in about a month or so after we figure out ways to destroy toon link.. It could take longer though >.>.. Expect video posts soon..!
lol yeah, sam is insane.
I'm pretty sure if there are more tournaments we'll definitely get better turnouts when the game's actuallly out here.
god i hate nintendo sometimes.

oh btw. you play a good marth kowbrainz. a bit late but good game.

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Thanks! ^_^
You played a good MK, too. The only MK's I've played before have been shoddy ones on wifi that were pretty easy to beat, so I think I panicked a bit when you started doing damage, lol.

I dunno if you'll be able to see when Cal uploads the vid of our match, but the last upB out of shield wasn't improvised at all - as soon as you got me into that lock against the wall with MK's standard A combo, I was like "right, I need to kill this guy right now... upB out of shield sounds good enough." Probably followed you around for 15 seconds or so waiting for that opportunity. :p :laugh:

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
Sam here, it was very cool to actually have a tournament hosted in perth for once! Was good to see a bunch of smashers all in one room being all competitive. After watching Brax play his wolf the way he did I think I should start practising my wolf a little more, you're wolf is evil! I'm looking forward to the next tournament that gets set up and hope to see everyone + others there!

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Replays are finally up! :bee:
Here they are, enjoy:

Round 1:
Blapt (Yoshi) vs Kowz (Marth)
Faolan (Ike) vs Muzga (MK)
Sam (Toon Link) vs Eric (Zamus)
Alex (Snake) vs n1v (ROB)
S&Y (G&W) vs Rawt (Olimar)
Cal (Sonic) vs Ric (G&W)
Brax (Wolf) vs Mic (PT)

Round 1 Loser's Bracket:
Cal (Fox) vs Mic (PT)
Alex (Snake) vs Eric (Zamus)
Muzga (MK) vs Kowz (Marth)

Round 2 Winner's Bracket:
Faolan (Ike) vs Blapt (Yoshi)
Sam (Toon Link) vs n1v (ROB)
S&Y (G&W) vs Sam1 (Wolf)
Ric (G&W) vs Brax (Wolf)

Round 2 Loser's Bracket:
Cal (Fox) vs n1v (ROB)
Ric (G&W) vs Eric (Zamus)
Kowz (Marth) vs S&Y (G&W)
n1v (ROB) vs Rawt (Olimar)
Ric (G&W) vs Kowz (Marth)

Round 3 Winner's Bracket:
Sam (Toon Link) vs Faolan (Ike)
Sam1 (Wolf) vs Brax (Wolf)

Round 3 Loser's Bracket:
Sam1 (Wolf) vs Rawt (Olimar)
Ric (G&W) vs Faolan (Ike)
Sam1 (Wolf) vs Ric (G&W)

Round 4 Winner's Bracket:
Sam (Toon Link) vs Brax (Wolf)

Round 4 Loser's Bracket:
Brax (Wolf) vs Ric (G&W)

Grand Final:
Sam (Toon Link) vs Brax (Wolf) Match 1
Sam (Toon Link) vs Brax (Wolf) Match 2

If you spot any wrong links or other mistakes like that, just send me a message and I'll fix it asap. Additionally, if you are after a replay in high quality then also just fire me a message and I'll upload it to somewhere and send you the link.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Haha..! Yeah dude phone's been mailed so fingers crossed they don't think it's some suss bomb or terrorist device.. i mailed it first thing on monday so you should get it like tuesday/ wedns.. ooh replays..

Muzga

Smash Ace
i just got the phone!:D:D:D
good thing too-- this way nobody was really inconvenienced!
again thanks heaps!

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Cheers, Cal. :D

Oh, if anyone wants to up the quality of the videos from what youtube displays, just add &fmt=18 to the end of the video url.

abraxis

Smash Rookie
i just want to thank everyone that came down for making Perth's first real Brawl tourney a hell of a lot of fun :D

much props to sam's killer toon link, those were some of the most intense 3 stocks ive ever played. lets get these matches linked on the official brawl video forum :>

we are planning to hold PK Brawl 2 in a month or so see how we go, its great that we have a good scene going even before the PAL release :p

oh and quote of the night "where's the childrens ward?" - Rawt while playing GTA4

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
I'm planning to host a gamefest on the weekend of the 17th. If there is enough interest I can organise a GH3 tournament. (Most likely no money involved as some people might think it would be "stealing" more or less... unless people are willing to put money in) I'll have 4 TVs set up, 1 with a 360 + PS3, another with a Wii so that will leave everyone else to fill those last 2 TVs with consoles. Also, if the tourney goes ahead I'll be holding the final on the 360 version (epic final match details upon request) if someone can muster up another 360 guitar controller. Much <3 if you can.

Please post if you are interested on any of these aspects! =)

Something else I should also mention; I live in Mandurah. Enjoy the drive down. ^_^

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Something else I should also mention; I live in Mandurah. Enjoy the drive down. ^_^

Lol, I think I'll sit this one out then... best hit the books before midterms rather than worry about train times and all that rubbish again. :p

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I think I'll sit this one out then... best hit the books before midterms rather than worry about train times and all that rubbish again. :p
Where do you live? I'm sure someone would be able to pick you up on the way down if they're feeling charitable. =)

Another note: if people take the train I can come pick you up from the station.

Muzga

Smash Ace
i'd love to come again. also, im interested too. which g and w was terrible?

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Few of us from Rockingham would probably be up for heading to that :D
Although personally I wouldn't be entering into the GH tournament (gogo fail on hard mode), a few of us probably could.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
good job WA - this places you ahead of nsw and qld in terms of getting things done :) keep it up and eventually something awesome will happen

mucho wub

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Start time would be about 1pm on Sat, with the tourney starting at 2 or so. There is the option of staying the night if you wish. I would set up the tourney so that you begin playing people on your own level (medium vs medium etc) and you move up a difficulty if you are the winner of your group.

Something like that. I need to put more thought into it.

The epic final will be 1 set of 7 hand-****** songs.

Before I Forget*
Knights of Cydonia*
Cult of Personality*
Raining Blood
One
Slash Guitar Battle**
Devil Went Down to Georgia**
Through the Fire and Flames***

*One of these songs will probably get the boot.
**If nobody else can bring a 360 guitar then these songs will be replaced or the set shortened. (Most likely by Take This Life, The Way it Ends, Number of the Beast)
***This song is not to be played outside of the final(s).

You must win at least 4/7 (or 3/5) songs AND have more total points than the other person to be the outright winner.

Thoughts?

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like you'll be the one doing the ******..! I've seen your geetar skills on expert and god help us all..!

If im home during that time i'll come but i doubt it.. Also Caotic why dont u come down to WA some time and show us your moves.. :O

BLAH..!

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the only expert player here, you should also look out for Bringer and Cubed. But you know why some people could call it stealing if money was involved. <_< >_>

*Flees*

abraxis

Smash Rookie
yo niven

id like to come down for a bit. funnily enough my band is playing a show that night so i won't be able to stay - but it sounds like good times are to be had so you can count me in.

dont think i will last to the finals of a GH3 tourney anyways (fail at One and especially Devil Went Down to Georgia, rofls i cant even practise that song, stupid Wii version) but hey ill try get some prac in this week :D

@caotic - thanks for the kind words man, feelin the interstate love <3 i was wondering what you thought of the replays. im trying to get some perspective on the level of competition over here. keep in mind that for myself and a few others this was our first competitive smash tourney so we have a long way to go in terms of adapting to mindgames etc.

__Lewis__

Smash Cadet
Out of curiosity for the next Brawl tournament, what's the expectation on someone who's not played Brawl before? Would I just be inclined to rock up, get horribly beaten then watch everyone else? I want to get into the scene, but until I get the PAL Brawl I'll be sucking for quite some time.

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
^ nobody really cares what skill level you are or anything. Sure, you can rock up and get owned in the tourney, but after the tourney's finished you can just play friendlies against everyone to improve. Nobody's going to say anything about your level of skill, unless of course you beat someone great in the tourney within your first hour of playing the game, lol.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i'll come, its just a matter of when. Bonus incentive with homecrew posse on board

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hah Caotic you and your crew should def come and we can arrange a little friendly inter-tourney.. And yeah anyone is welcome to these tournaments.. Its there to develop a scene and untie fellow smashers and enthusiasts to come down (or up) and create a stronger community.. Hopefully that in turn sparks some competitive interest from a few major companies to create a more proffesional circuit of tournaments..

Also on the other hand its for people to come see whos around, whos got what skills and learn to improve.. Overall the more people we can get the better cause not only does the community grow but so does peoples interests in Smash and the scene all round.. Then maybe people wil start holdin get togethers, make new friends blah blah u know the drill..

Anyways im off to get bread and milk.. RANT OVER..

BLAH..!

Berk

Smash Rookie
Gosh... been a while since I visited here ^^'
And I never even got to go along to any of the ol' Melee matches from whenever it was that I did make this little account :p

Well, hello all... *awkward pause*
Can I come? :D
To anything really; I'm completely useless for any forms of... organization or anything vaguely similar to it.
Just wanna play Brawl against people who know how to play well so I get properly owned :p
My friends are all horrid at it, so it's just no fun (Well, at first it's always a joy to see someone so desperately behind, but the novelty dries up quickly^^)

Anyway, um, do count me in on any future Brawl things! Would love to come along, transports always an issue but I tend to miraculously find myself at these things anyway, so yeh.

Watched a few of those videos and I reckon I'd be able to put up a good fight : )
Or maybe I'm an arrogant fool who's going to be destroyed.
Either sounds fun.

Till then, whenever that is!

Turrah!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hah Caotic you and your crew should def come and we can arrange a little friendly inter-tourney.. And yeah anyone is welcome to these tournaments.. Its there to develop a scene and untie fellow smashers and enthusiasts to come down (or up) and create a stronger community.. Hopefully that in turn sparks some competitive interest from a few major companies to create a more proffesional circuit of tournaments..

Also on the other hand its for people to come see whos around, whos got what skills and learn to improve.. Overall the more people we can get the better cause not only does the community grow but so does peoples interests in Smash and the scene all round.. Then maybe people wil start holdin get togethers, make new friends blah blah u know the drill..

Anyways im off to get bread and milk.. RANT OVER..

BLAH..!

More professional circuits will happen once the game comes out. I'll be coordinating it nationally.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys just making a post before i fly out.. We will be havin our second PK Brawl tournament on the 31st May (Sat)..! I will have Brax post up the official details while im gone and have contact details up etc etc..

This time we will be aiming at havin 32 people for another double elimination setup.. Itll still be 5 bux a pop to enter with prizes goin out to the first and second places again.. We will aim at gettin 2 tvs setup for the tournament both with recording etc but ill let the guys still at home sort that one out..

This time you all have about 3 weeks in advance notice so get online! Tell your friends and start making posts about whether or not youll be coming.. The official post will be up tonite..! Hope to see everyone there and more..!

BLAH..!

Top Bottom