• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote Smash Into The World Video Game Hall Of Fame

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
More copies doesn't mean everything, Pac Man for the Atari 2600 is the best selling game on the Atari 2600, and it's considered one of the worst games of all time. Also, by fans, I meant fans that play competitively.
Well sorry to kill your pride as a competitive gamer, but in all honesty, we do not control the majority of those who like Smash Bros.

Melee could easily be the most hated of the four games and we will never know because we will only associate our opinion between our series.

On top of that, I cannot stress how much better it would be to vote the franchise as a whole instead of arguing that "X game in the series deserves it over Y game."

Let's set aside our pride and just vote Smash Bros. Not 64, not Melee etc.

IGottaStick

Smash Cadet
Guys, just stop arguing and vote for Super Smash Flash 1 already. But seriously, As a person who has played every single smash title except for Melee, Vote for melee because it built the foundation of the competitive community in smash and It's community should be our main arguing point. An example would be when we came together to make it into EVO 2013.

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
JUST VOTE FOR THE DAMN SERIES AS A WHOLE!! when it asks what version, just put all. theres no need to start a damn flame war over which ****in smash game gets in to the hall of fame. just make it the whole franchise, and move on

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Well sorry to kill your pride as a competitive gamer, but in all honesty, we do not control the majority of those who like Smash Bros.

Melee could easily be the most hated of the four games and we will never know because we will only associate our opinion between our series.

On top of that, I cannot stress how much better it would be to vote the franchise as a whole instead of arguing that "X game in the series deserves it over Y game."

Let's set aside our pride and just vote Smash Bros. Not 64, not Melee etc.
Okay, fine. I just meant that Melee set up the community as a whole, I mean 64 was popular, but not a household name. Also, you got to remember, people still have mixed opinions on the games, mostly Melee and Brawl. But yeah, I guess we should just vote the whole series as a whole, as they're all important in their own ways.

Maysoon

Smash Cadet
Aaaaand Melee players already starting a flame war. It's great to see so many fine, upstanding members of the Super Smash Bros. community.

Not that this poll matters at all. Any video game hall of fame that has FIFA or Angry Birds in the finals, or even in the running at all, can't possibly be taken seriously. So go ahead, Melee fans. Stuff the ballot box.
Honestly it sounds like you are trying to start a flame war. Anyway, I voted for Melee over 64 because 64 just isn't as known as Melee. And well the competitive scene is still chugging.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
A lot of people are quick to blame flame wars on "Melee elitists." It's kind of annoying how much people pin on Melee players....they're just trying to play their game, same as us.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
A lot of people are quick to blame flame wars on "Melee elitists." It's kind of annoying how much people pin on Melee players....they're just trying to play their game, same as us.
Loud people tend to make the group as a whole look differently.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Like, before Smash is in I think they would include Street Fighter, Mega Man, Donkey Kong, Super Mario 64, Asteroids, Centipede, Galaga, Final Fantasy, Breakout, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, Half-Life, etc.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I did not like competitive melee but I didn't really play melee past 2002 when it started to become competitive, 64 however I probably played more than anyone else on the planet did from 1999-2001, and not only was it more enjoyable than smash 4, I largely think it was also the better game because of that. It's funny how some melee people want to think smash 4 isn't competitive when it's mechanics make it the most competitive of all games in the series. Melees AT made it competitive, but smash 4s very core, which relies less on combos and has more constraints on what you can and can't do (such as more lag time) make it to where those with experience and confidence will always win. But it's also less fun as a result. And that alone should tell you whether the game is competitive or not. 64s openness in contrast was so much fun, and hid well any of the tier differences between characters.

64 deserves the nod. And just FYI: think about this--melee only became popular because of 64. 64 was of course on the more popular n64 and many people, including many that were to become competitive melee players, remember how great 64 was as they were playing it casually and getting ***** by people like me. They were too young to put much time into getting better, and melee was their opportunity on the less popular gamecube, where they didn't have to worry about getting ***** right off the bat by professionals as everyone started playing it simultaneously.

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
@ DaRkJaWs DaRkJaWs I'll say you have one of the more unique opinions over Melee of all the ones I've come across.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Opinions and
I did not like competitive melee but I didn't really play melee past 2002 when it started to become competitive, 64 however I probably played more than anyone else on the planet did from 1999-2001, and not only was it more enjoyable than smash 4, I largely think it was also the better game because of that. It's funny how some melee people want to think smash 4 isn't competitive when it's mechanics make it the most competitive of all games in the series. Melees AT made it competitive, but smash 4s very core, which relies less on combos and has more constraints on what you can and can't do (such as more lag time) make it to where those with experience and confidence will always win. But it's also less fun as a result. And that alone should tell you whether the game is competitive or not. 64s openness in contrast was so much fun, and hid well any of the tier differences between characters.

64 deserves the nod. And just FYI: think about this--melee only became popular because of 64. 64 was of course on the more popular n64 and many people, including many that were to become competitive melee players, remember how great 64 was as they were playing it casually and getting ***** by people like me. They were too young to put much time into getting better, and melee was their opportunity on the less popular gamecube, where they didn't have to worry about getting ***** right off the bat by professionals as everyone started playing it simultaneously.
Said well enough to make me doubt my own vote. Kudos to you, Jaws.

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
What, did they like come up with those criteria with Smash in mind? Describes it to a tee. We've gotta win this-- Nayru knows we deserve it.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
With everyone voting for their own installments, none of them are getting in.
You're right; i never thought of that but you are right we need to either agree on one of the SSB games or just agree to disagree and hope that one of them gets in.

Top Bottom