• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote Smash Into The World Video Game Hall Of Fame

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
As someone who believes that Smash does not know bad games, that every single entry in the series is a masterpiece, and as someone who only plays Smash for 3DS/Wii U these days, I could not help but vote... the original. Purely for the fact that without this game, we would not have any of the others. This is where it all started, and I think this game would best represent the series as a whole for that matter.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I enjoy melee and Sm4sh more then Smash64 but S64 is the start of it all, without it we wouldn't have All these Tourneys, and smashboards and now a great welcome. SmashCon, S64 deserves to be in the Hall of fame

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
It seems that nobody looked at the finalists of 2015 edition... We're supposed to vote for series, not a particular game. "Pokémon" and "FIFA" are not a specific game.

I just don't understand why everybody is explaining one's choice ^^

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Like any person that appreciates fun, I nominated Smash. Here's what I put in the fields:
This game is the definition of "iconic". You thought Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and the like were iconic? How about all of those franchises combined into one game? The Super Smash Bros. series has so many familiar faces joining together for intense battling action, from familiar faces like Mario and Link to oddball choices like Ness and the Ice Climbers. And while later entries have grown to fifty-character rosters, eight-player battles, and more, I feel that the most deserving entry to be in this hall of fame is the original, the one that started it all, Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64.

Or the Wii U entry if you prefer. It has Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man, and Mario together in one game. If that's not iconic, then I don't know what is.
Strap yourselves in, because this one's a doozy.

I haven't played the original Smash myself, but I have experienced the joy that the series as a whole brings. It all started when I was looking up information about Sonic the Hedgehog and learned about a little game called Super Smash Bros. Brawl. There was something called "The Final, FINAL Battle", and it had Sonic teaming up with Mario and Solid Snake. I was very confused, since while I had experienced crossovers before thanks to Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (which is also how I got introduced to Sonic himself, but that's a different story), the title of the game and this snake guy had me very confused. As time went on, I heard more and more of this "Brawl" game, hearing that it brought together multiple icons like Pikachu, and Luigi, and the like. I also found out that it was a fighting game, and I was intrigued.

Before this point, I was accustomed to games like Mario and Sonic where there was an end goal, or the occasional Mario Kart or Mario and Sonic Olympics title where the competition was friendly, but in this game, I heard, the goal was to defeat your opponent in a fight to the death. When I heard that Sonic was playable, I was hooked, and started watching videos, reviews, etc. of the game, and I knew I had to have it.

Some days later, the game arrived in the mail. I opened the box and put the disc inside my Wii. Then the opening cutscene played.

Mario? Donkey Kong? Luigi? Pikachu? Wario? Tons of other fighters? As the camera zoomed over the game's entire roster, I was stunned. This opening cutscene fully conveyed to me the magic of this series, and boy did it get me hyped. After the intro finished, I hit start on my Wii Remote, Nunchuk accessory firmly hooked up, and went to "Solo".

I was disappointed to find no battle mode in "Solo" (even though you can fight against CPUs), but I went to the Subspace Emissary mode, which is the single player campaign. After a bit of that, I got someone to play against and we went into the smash mode. And then I got to experience the top-notch gameplay firsthand.

Before this, I had used a 100% save file to unlock everything, because the options were playing thousands of matches, sitting through the rather tedious campaign, or that. Anyway, I often played as Sonic, the fastest character. I had a basic grasp of the controls by this point (I was still baffled that A wasn't the jump button, though), but I still had much to learn. Over the years, I slowly but surely mastered the basic techniques, the nuances of each character, and how to use them effectively, and that, I think, is half the fun of Smash.

Then E3 2013 happened.

It was the end of the Nintendo Direct. Iwata teased that there was more coming. Then the Smash logo appeared in flames.

Mario, Link, Pikachu, and all the classics were back for more, in glorious high definition and looking better than ever, with a more vibrant art style than previous entries. But then a new fighter leapt into the ring. "Villager comes to town?" Who's Villager? But once I saw him fighting with trees, umbrellas, and putting things in his pocket, I was sold. The trailer concluded with the gorgeous logo of this new game: "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U".

Or at least, we thought it had concluded...

Suddenly, the words "Challenger Approaching" flashed across the screen. Even Mario, Link, and all the other characters we just saw duking it out were surprised as they turned their heads to see what was going on. The full moon loomed over the top of a mountain, and standing on that peak was no other than the one, the only: Mega Man. He was pretty neat at this point, having retro movements sort of like Wario and shooting people with a Samus-esque arm cannon, but nothing really stood out to me as I hadn't played a Mega Man game. Then he got KO'd, and things got real.

Mega Man was glitching out, sparks flying from his kneeling body. But he was ready to make a comeback. The camera went inside his head, and we saw a screen saying "Metal Blade". And sure enough, Mega Man materialized two buzz saw blades in his hands and threw them at the rest of the cast. Mario's coins went flying out, and Link barely blocked the blade with his shield. Then the trailer transitioned into gameplay, and we were blown away by the amount of variety. Slash Claw! Flame Sword! Hard Knuckle! Leaf Shield! Crash Bomber! Air Shooter! And finally, Flame Blast! And then the trailer finally ended, but Nintendo wasn't done yet.

Later that E3, Nintendo was presenting some videos to press in person. Before the last trailer, they said, "When you see the trailer, you'll know what it is." (Or something like that anyways.) Then we saw gameplay of the original Wii Fit, specifically a yoga session. The press let out a collective groan. Then it zoomed out to show that the gameplay was on a screen, and watching it were none other than Mario, Link, and Kirby, attempting that same pose (key word being "attempting"). Nintendo characters in Wii Fit? Um... okay... But then Mario got a tap on the shoulder from a white, mannequin-like hand. Mario and co. glanced over, and the camera zoomed out. And then the Trainer herself from the yoga teachings was revealed. She then entered the "warrior" pose and blew them away Smash Bros.-style, as the now-crooked screen said, "Great! Keep it up!", just like in the Wii Fit games. Then the trailer showed Smash gameplay, and the press started laughing their rear ends off. We were taken completely off guard, and with these three new, diverse fighters, we were just getting started with the roller coaster ride that was the wait for Super Smash Bros. 4.

The journey was marked by many things. Sakurai's "Pic of the Day" gave us a little nugget of information each weekday, and the trailers showed off the big new things. There were newcomers like Robin, Pac-Man, and Rosalina, and there veterans like Meta Knight, Sonic, and Olimar. But one thing that was consistent along with the excitement was the trolling. "Kirby in Mario Kart? Nope! Rosalina in Smash!" "Mewtwo's back? Nope! Greninja in Smash!" "Chrom in Smash? Nope! He's literally on the floor crying. But don't worry, he's part of Robin's Final Smash!" Etc, etc. The wait was almost too much to wait, but the trailers, gameplay demos every now and then, and the daily pictures helped fuel speculation, discussion, and most of all, excitement.

October 3rd, 2014. The 3DS version of the game came out in North America. I got my copy in the mail and spent hours working out the finesse of each character and expanding my knowledge, skill, and mastery of the game.

Then, about a month and a half later, the Wii U version came out. We got it first over here, so no spoilers came from Japan. The rosters are the same, meaning that all the skill I had built up on the 3DS easily transferred over to Wii U. I played some more, made some stages, and just had a great time with the game as a whole.

And while these new releases may overshadow the games that came before, for introducing me to the fighting genre, for bringing into my life so many different franchises, and for showing me what Nintendo is all about, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will always have a special place in my heart. :)

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
It seems that nobody looked at the finalists of 2015 edition... We're supposed to vote for series, not a particular game. "Pokémon" and "FIFA" are not a specific game.

I just don't understand why everybody is explaining one's choice ^^
We're voting for the series, not just a game in the series?
Are we all so stupid, then, or do they really not do a good job at making this point clear? Because I, for one, feel pretty stupid now, assuming this is correct, and I'm understanding this correctly.

Last edited:

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Bros. on the same level as The Oregon Trail? Let's not be hasty.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
I never enjoyed playing Melee at a high level but I voted for it. To be honest, it's the one that needs it the most. Of all Smash entries, it was the largest... "Jump". Lots of new characters, lots of new stages, lots of new modes, new mechanics that have been a staple (with some like airdodging being refined over time) and that crazy competitive scene that is one of the longest game has to offer. 64 was no doubt a milestone in gaming history, but Melee is greater. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who, if given the chance to play Smash 4 or Melee at any level, would go for Smash 4 without batting an eye.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Just because something is the best, doesn't make it HoF worth....
You clearly doesn't understand what is the Hall of Fame.... it is not for the newer or the best, it is for the what was most important in the history.
Super Mario Bros. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Super Mario Galaxy 2
It may not be better, but it was infinite times more important.... heck, SMB is one of the most important games in history, a top five I would say, maybe the top 1.... so it is definitely a must have for the Hall of Fame.
Super Mario Galaxy 2? Yeah, fun. HoF worth? Hell no.... maybe in 10 years Galaxy 1 will be worth.... Galaxy 2? Nope.
Melee started the competitive scene, yes, but Smash 64 still was a thousand times more important in the history of games.... Melee is "just" an enhanced 64 after all.
So you think just because something is old, it automatically deserves to be in the Hall? E.T for the Atari was important for being the worst game of all time in the eyes of many, and it set in stone an example of what a game shouldn't be. I suppose it deserves a spot in the Hall then, huh? Galaxy 2, on the other hand, is viewed as one of the greatest games of all time, and redefined the 3D platformer genre. I don't know what you're smoking if that doesn't sound Hall of Fame worthy. It's called the Hall of FAME, not Hall of Importance.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Vote for Smash 64!!

The 2015 nominees are all originals. Are there better Mario games than the Original Super Mario Bros? In my opinion, yeah... almost every successor is better because they built on the ideas used in Super Mario Bros., improved and polished them and added new ideas.

Same goes for Smash Bros... you may think Melee is the best Smash game because it's played competitively still, (personally I've liked each Smash better than the last and I'm SO sick of Melee) but ultimately, Super Smash Bros would have NEVER had the success it has had if Smash 64 didn't bring our original 12 together for the first time.

:4luigi::4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4falcon:
SMASH PRIDE!!
:4ness::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
So you think just because something is old, it automatically deserves to be in the Hall? E.T for the Atari was important for being the worst game of all time in the eyes of many, and it set in stone an example of what a game shouldn't be. I suppose it deserves a spot in the Hall then, huh? Galaxy 2, on the other hand, is viewed as one of the greatest games of all time, and redefined the 3D platformer genre. I don't know what you're smoking if that doesn't sound Hall of Fame worthy. It's called the Hall of FAME, not Hall of Importance.
Ok then, it is the Hall of "Fame".... but even in 2015 SMB is still more famous than SMG2 could ever imagine.
"Galaxy 2, on the other hand, is viewed as one of the greatest games of all time"
No, that's Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2 only took the same great formula created at 1 and repeated it, so if anything G1 deserves the HoF, not G2.
And I never said that a game just needs to be old to be in the HoF, it was not a very bright thing for you to think "Oh, let's put every game in the HoF after they complete 10 years, so every game ever will be there someday"....
Now kid, understand, Super Mario Bros. along with the NES resurrected a dead console market, it was the first game ever to have a dynamic background or something like that if I'm not mistaken, so it was a big technological advancement too....
Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time defined 3D gaming, so those two should definitely be there as well.
Super Mario Galaxy did some innovations with the space mechanics and brought us a game unlike any other before in some ways, so it should deserve the HoF when it gets older. Galaxy 2 didn't innovate anything. Period.
But, if anything, games shouldn't be jumping in there before a GOOD amount of time has passed.... seriously. The people behind this HoF agrees with me.... read the "Longevity" part again.

About the people saying that it is to nominate a series instead of a game.... well, I swear I saw something in their site that hinted me it was to nominate a game, so I did it, but maybe I could have confused something or Idk, I will check it out again....

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Aaaaand Melee players already starting a flame war.
More like Brawl fans. The argument was between brawl and 64. Also not necessarily a "flame war". Come on man.

Gaming's biggest crossover is the only thing Smash has above the rest and it'd be best to play that up.
Having an amazing competitive scene that has lasted incredibly long is the real reason why smash is so popular today. That's also why I voted Melee; it's the one sequel that not only sparked the scene but continues to be big. It's stayed alive despite being grassroots and having a rough early start. Even Sm4sh, which is incredibly Nintendo-sponsored, has to share screen time with Melee simply because people really really really enjoy playing Melee.
If there's anything we should play up, it's that.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
As a sm4sh player myself, I'm ready to admit it's not HoF material juuuust yet. Smash 64 started it all for sure, but without Melee it would have ended right then and there....therefore, Melee gets my vote.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
I feel like I'm the only one not voting for Smash... theres a lot of important titles that aren't in yet, say, Mega Man, (which is what I voted for) or Street Fighter. While I enjoy Smash more than those series they simply hold more importance.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I feel like I'm the only one not voting for Smash... theres a lot of important titles that aren't in yet, say, Mega Man, (which is what I voted for) or Street Fighter. While I enjoy Smash more than those series they simply hold more importance.
Why not just Smash 4? It has Mega Man, and will soon have Ryu apparently. :p

Seriously though, I think you can nominate multiple games, no?

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I see all this bickering over what game is more important. Yes ssb64 started it, but melee is the most important and has the most fame within the smash community

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Ok then, it is the Hall of "Fame".... but even in 2015 SMB is still more famous than SMG2 could ever imagine.
"Galaxy 2, on the other hand, is viewed as one of the greatest games of all time"
No, that's Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2 only took the same great formula created at 1 and repeated it, so if anything G1 deserves the HoF, not G2.
And I never said that a game just needs to be old to be in the HoF, it was not a very bright thing for you to think "Oh, let's put every game in the HoF after they complete 10 years, so every game ever will be there someday"....
Now kid, understand, Super Mario Bros. along with the NES resurrected a dead console market, it was the first game ever to have a dynamic background or something like that if I'm not mistaken, so it was a big technological advancement too....
Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time defined 3D gaming, so those two should definitely be there as well.
Super Mario Galaxy did some innovations with the space mechanics and brought us a game unlike any other before in some ways, so it should deserve the HoF when it gets older. Galaxy 2 didn't innovate anything. Period.
But, if anything, games shouldn't be jumping in there before a GOOD amount of time has passed.... seriously. The people behind this HoF agrees with me.... read the "Longevity" part again.

About the people saying that it is to nominate a series instead of a game.... well, I swear I saw something in their site that hinted me it was to nominate a game, so I did it, but maybe I could have confused something or Idk, I will check it out again....
Galaxy 2 took the original formula and perfected it. Galaxy, as great as it was, was flawed. 2 fixed those flaws while adding some things of its own. It was essentially Galaxy+. It did everything Galaxy did, but better. Why do you think Galaxy 2 was the first game to get a Wii U rerelease? If you take a great and make it better, anybody with sense (which I'm assuming you have, don't prove me wrong) would pick the refined version. I'm all too familiar with the history of SMB, "kid", but when it comes down to the game, Galaxy 2 is unfathomably better than SMB. It's not even a fair comparison because of the almost 2-decade gap between them.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
On the subject of Mario Galaxy vs SMB and all:

This is about gaming history. It's about how well-known, influential, long-lasting, etc. a game is, not necessarily the quality of the game itself (although that does play into the other factors).
  • Well-known: Super Mario Bros. is recognized by many, from those who grew up with the game to those who have never even played it, and while Galaxy 2 was rather popular, the original far surpasses it here by virtue of being an icon of pop culture.
  • Influential: Super Mario Bros. singlehandedly changed what a platformer, and a video game as a whole, could be. While the Galaxy series innovated, I wouldn't say it influenced the medium as much as SMB did.
  • Long-lasting: SMB has lasted longer by virtue of being older. Also, the numerous re-releases can't hurt.
While I do prefer the Galaxy games when it comes to playing them, I do believe that the original deserves much more to be in this hall of fame than most of the later entries.

Now, Mario 64 on the other hand...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash 64 because it started everything.
Melee because of the competitive 20XX scene. :foxmelee:
Brawl because.. well, uh.. online? Dunno.
3DS/Wii U because they are the latest games in the series.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Having an amazing competitive scene that has lasted incredibly long is the real reason why smash is so popular today. That's also why I voted Melee; it's the one sequel that not only sparked the scene but continues to be big. It's stayed alive despite being grassroots and having a rough early start. Even Sm4sh, which is incredibly Nintendo-sponsored, has to share screen time with Melee simply because people really really really enjoy playing Melee.
If there's anything we should play up, it's that.
There's that too, but just how many games have a competitive scene? IMO at least, Smash needs to play up it's unique status as being a crossover game, as that's the core of what makes Smash so popular, influential, and memorable.

Also please respect your fellow users by not purposely editing their usernames when quoting them. I don't want to start to have to hand out infractions.

Pretty much. Street Fighter II, Donkey Kong, Metal Gear, Metroid, Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy, Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, GTA, Halo, Double Dragon, Sim City, Star Fox, Mario Kart, CoD, etc.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Galaxy 2 took the original formula and perfected it. Galaxy, as great as it was, was flawed. 2 fixed those flaws while adding some things of its own. It was essentially Galaxy+. It did everything Galaxy did, but better. Why do you think Galaxy 2 was the first game to get a Wii U rerelease? If you take a great and make it better, anybody with sense (which I'm assuming you have, don't prove me wrong) would pick the refined version. I'm all too familiar with the history of SMB, "kid", but when it comes down to the game, Galaxy 2 is unfathomably better than SMB. It's not even a fair comparison because of the almost 2-decade gap between them.
Again, it is not about being better, it is about the innovation and/or the importance it had.
"It was essentially Galaxy+" that is the problem, HoF is not for "Galaxy+", is not for "SMB+" (SMB2/The Lost Levels), it is not for enhanced versions, for better versions, for "perfected" versions, it is for games that put their name in history for innovating gaming or something like that.
The Hall of Fame is not a list of "best games", it is a place to put the games that were really important in their times....
I am repeating myself over and over, can't you understand that? HoF is not for what you think it is.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
Brawl is my personal favorite Smash game, but it isn't necessarily HoF material.
Sm4sh is waaaaaay too new to be in any HoF imo.
So it really is between Smash 64 and Melee for me. Smash 64 started it all, but would the series really be as big as it is now without Melee?
Tough choice.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
64 and Melee are the most important, 64 started the franchise, and Melee is what made it EXTREMELY popular.
Still. The franchise as a whole needs to be represented. Let's take the pride and elitist side out for a change. Melee didn't make Smash Bros extremely popular for me. It was Brawl. Yet I am not going to tell everyone that both games are equally as important to the success of Smash Bros popularity.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Still. The franchise as a whole needs to be represented. Let's take the pride and elitist side out for a change. Melee didn't make Smash Bros extremely popular for me. It was Brawl. Yet I am not going to tell everyone that both games are equally as important to the success of Smash Bros popularity.
4 would be way to new for this, and Brawl is hated by most fans. (I'm not one of them)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
4 would be way to new for this, and Brawl is hated by most fans. (I'm not one of them)
Your comment is irrelevant because Brawl sold more copies than Melee and on top of that a game being disliked by a small percent of ALL gamers who play Smash Bros games (us) does not further prove 64/Melee deserve it more when literally the whole series should credited.

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
Your comment is irrelevant because Brawl sold more copies than Melee and on top of that a game being disliked by a small percent of ALL gamers who play Smash Bros games (us) does not further prove 64/Melee deserve it more when literally the whole series should credited.
More copies doesn't mean everything, Pac Man for the Atari 2600 is the best selling game on the Atari 2600, and it's considered one of the worst games of all time. Also, by fans, I meant fans that play competitively.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
With everyone voting for their own installments, none of them are getting in.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Also please respect your fellow users by not purposely editing their usernames when quoting them. I don't want to start to have to hand out infractions.
Yeah not sure what happened with the quotes. Originally the quote was broken so I had to edit it manually. I guess I just typed it in wrong. Anyways I'll try to correct the quote.

Last edited:
Top Bottom