• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote Smash Into The World Video Game Hall Of Fame

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

In 1999 a video game was released that would change Nintendo and many of our lives forever, Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. Two years later in 2001 Super Smash Bros. Melee would be released for the Nintendo Gamecube, selling over 7 million copies and inspiring an entire generation of gamers to the point that even fourteen years after release it has over one thousand entrants at Evo. In 2008 Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released letting fans finally connect to each other online, allowing fans to explore The Subspace Emissary, and settling the debate of who would really win in a fight with Sonic vs Mario. In 2014 Smash finally landed on a handheld console, brought on more iconic characters such as Pac-Man and Megaman, and brought in an entirely new generation to the franchise. Smash as a series has been an iconic and prolific, stretching across the globe to bring players and Nintendo fans together in a way very few other games have.

Recently, The World Video Game Hall Of Fame which is hosted in the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, recently released the finalists for the 2015 induction into the hall of fame. Alongside this, it has also opened nominations for the 2016 entries. Games will be selected on four criteria for the possibility of being entered:
  • Icon-status: the game is widely recognized and remembered.
  • Longevity: the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time.
  • Geographical reach: the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries.
  • Influence: The game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general. A game may be inducted on the basis of this criterion without necessarily having met all of the first three.
The games in the Super Smash Bros series by far meet all of these requirements. With the nominations taking place for 2016, this is our time as fans of Smash to immortalize the series we love as one of the greatest of all time in the World Video Game Hall Of Fame. Think of your favorite Smash title possibly alongside names like Tetris, Pac-Man, Doom, The Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, The Oregon Trail, Pokemon, Pong, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Invaders, World of Warcraft, or Super Mario Bros. Some of these games even have characters in Smash!

So please, take the Smash title you love most and nominate it for the 2016 induction to the hall of fame. The nomination form can be found here and all nominations must be received before March 31, 2016 to be considered. There are 188,608 member of Smashboards and millions of Smash fans; we have shown when we all work together the incredible things we can do. Let us add one more accomplishment to this our impressive list by getting Smash into the hall of fame.

SmashCapps was inspired by a post on reddit to write this article. Follow him on Twitter and get the word out to nominate Smash for the hall of fame.

Cursetyl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cursetyl
Smash passes the criteria with flying colors. Hopefully it gets in!

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Should we just vote for our favorite one, or should we all come together to vote for the original? If not I'm just gonna vote for Smash 4.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Melee should definitely make it in for having one of the longest lasting competitive scenes in video game history.

Though Smash 64 would be nice too.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Please, Melee, Brawl and Sm4sh fans.... Smash 64 is the one that deserves the entrance in the glorious Hall of Fame....
Forget which one is your favorite for a moment, and let's all just pay justice to the legendary game that started it all!
:luigi64::mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::falcon64:
:ness64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Please, Melee, Brawl and Sm4sh fans.... Smash 64 is the one that deserves the entrance in the glorious Hall of Fame....
Forget which one is your favorite for a moment, and let's all just pay justice to the legendary game that started it all!
:luigi64::mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::falcon64:
:ness64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64:
As a Sm4sh fan I completely agree.

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
It's so weird that Smashboards has an article involving the Strong Museum. Probably because I used to live 15 minutes from it.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'd be content with either smash 64 or melee. Both are fantastic games. I'd have to give the edge to melee though only because of its staying power. If smash 64 hadn't only been out for 2 years when melee was released I think it would have been remembered a lot more fondly.

Btw, this is coming from someone who owns 64 and not melee and prefers 64 out of the two just for the fun factor, so I'm doing my best to be unbiased.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Melee should get in. It's by far one of the most popular and recognizable Smash games, and the fact that it's still so popular after 14 years and 3 sequels makes it deserve it.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Original Smash for me. Even if it lacks the more prominent legacy of its first sequel. If competitive Smash never caught on with anybody, it would probably have no impact at all on my enjoyment of the franchise.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
SSB64 is the one that started it all, it should be getting the votes.

It would be kinda like voting for MegaMan 10 instead of MegaMan 1. Or Pokemon Black and White instead of Pokemon Red and Blue. You go with the one that started it.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
64, Melee, Brawl, they'very impacted more than Smash-4 oh and it's not even a year old. Be smart Nintendo and don't sugar coat everything. When Smash-4 becomes ten years old and impacts like 64, Melee and Brawl did, then go do whatsoever you want to do but for now, no.

Also I want Mortal Kombat Ultimate, Goemon, Pokémon Stadium, Rayman, Mario Party, Yoshi Story, Banjo, and Fire Emblem and a few more that I do not remember from the top of my head. Thanks.

Last edited:

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 needs time to mature. Honestly, I think it will have a huge impact, but it needs time to solidify it's core and explode

Also, as much fun as 64 is, Melee probably deserves it more. Let's face it, as much as we may love it for starting the trend, Melee refined everything Smash 64 did in a way that made people literally travel from coast to coast, and country to country, to play it

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Here's mah vote for Smash 64.

This legendary gem of the N64 introduced us to a brand new genre of fighting games, bringing a unique playstyle that was simple and easy to get the hang of. It was also a crossover of multiple Nintendo franchises, featuring fighters such as Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby and more, a concept that was a mere pipe dream to most kids that grew up in the 90's, but became a reality in 1999. Despite its small budget, it became a global success, and spawned comparably successful sequels for the later generations of gaming, those being Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube, Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii and Super Smash Bros. 4 for both the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS. Even though these titles had a more polished and expanded fighting engine, as well as being aesthetically superior than the first Smash game, the original classic for the Nintendo 64 deserves to be in the hall of fame simply for being the one that set this beloved series in motion.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641

It would be kinda like voting for MegaMan 10 instead of MegaMan 1. Or Pokemon Black and White instead of Pokemon Red and Blue. You go with the one that started it.
Devil's advocate: so do we induct the original Street Fighter over Street Fighter 2?

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Here it is what I said (voted for Smash 64, but talked about every game in the series).
Super Smash Bros. made history on the gaming world. It's basically the Nintendo museum... and a Fighting game revolution. It's the Nintendo museum because it showcase many iconic (Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu), well-known (Link, Yoshi, Samus) and not so known (Ness, Captain Falcon) Nintendo characters... Its later installments would introduce more and more Intelectual Properties to this big world of variety... and this would even help Nintendo. Many people knew the obscure, but loved MOTHER series because of Ness (and Lucas, in the third installment SSBBrawl). The second game of the series (SSBMelee) introduced two characters called Marth and Roy, of a Strategy series called Fire Emblem. But, the question is, until 2001 (the year that Melee released), every FE game was exclusive to Japan. Since many people started to like Marth and Roy, the 7th FE game (Rekka no Ken) was released not only on Japan, but in the whole world. Maybe the series would keep being Japan-only if Marth and Roy weren't in Melee... The world would not know this (until then) obscure masterpiece. There are many other things that make this game a "Official Nintendo Museum", like items that come straight out from Nintendo games, trophies of many things Nintendo, locations from the games, remixes of the original songs by many composers... Now, let's talk about how this game is kind of a revolution to the fighting games, while still being extremely unique. It introduced a new mechanic which nobody ever thought: The percentage system. Every player begin with 0%, and the percentage grows as one guy smash the another. It can go up to 999%, but the opponent won't die if it's not launched out of the stage... And, the game also has the same combinations for every character. Like, to do Ryu's Hadouken on Street Fighter, you've got to do the very specific combination of Forward -> Half Moon -> Punch. In Smash, there is the default of normal (Press A) and special (Press B) attacks that can be just combined with a direction to do a different attacks. With those few combinations, a Moveset of many options is created. Jab (Just A), Tilts (Side and A), Smash (Charged A Attacks), Dash Attack (while running, press A), Aerials (A Attacks on the air), Grab (Press R/Z), Shield (Blocking with L) and Special (B) moves. Few combinations that can created a deep fighting system. The game may be considered "not a fighting game" by many people (since it has items, has up to 8 players, many unbalanced stages, only the most recent game is really balanced), but it has many fans and if played well, it can be revealed as a deep game. Since every game has its own physics, balancing and stages, things are different, very different. The first Super Smash Bros. has big hitstun (when the opponent is vulnerable to another attack), being a combo-centered game, Melee has many Advanced Techniques (that give more options), a heavy gravity and is pretty speedy, making it the most played Smash game 14 years after its release! Brawl is more hated than the others due to being more newcomer-oriented, slower and floatier than both other games, is very defensive and has a overpowered character (the Kirby series' character called Meta Knight). Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U is centered around balance. It's between Brawl and Melee, with rewarding offensive and defensive options, 99,9% of the cast being viable, and made for both casual and hardcore audiences.
Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 was going to be called "Dragon King: The Fighting Game", and despite having the exact same mechanics, it was going to have original characters. If it was released like that, it probably would not be the experience we know today and we would not know what Mario vs. Pac-Man vs. Sonic vs. Megaman like.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Smash 64 will always be the best game in the series, in my opinion, with Sm4sh at a close second. No doubt it has my vote to go into the Hall of Fame.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I am a bit surprised to see all of the 64 love, but count me in, I'll vote for it too.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
All of the Smash games would be a great choice for this. I think that Brawl suits these requirements better than the other Smash games, but I'm voting for 64 because it was the original.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
We all know Mario would beat Sonic in a fight. (Where's @Mega Bidoof with that popcorn?)

Not necessarily. For one MM10 blows back MM. I would vote Galaxy 2 before the original Super Mario Bros., it's just simply a better game because it's newer. Just because something started something else, doesn't make it the best. I personally, would vote for Brawl, because it's my favorite in the series and my 2nd favorite game of all time.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
We all know Mario would beat Sonic in a fight. (Where's @Mega Bidoof with that popcorn?)

Not necessarily. For one MM10 blows back MM. I would vote Galaxy 2 before the original Super Mario Bros., it's just simply a better game because it's newer. Just because something started something else, doesn't make it the best. I personally, would vote for Brawl, because it's my favorite in the series and my 2nd favorite game of all time.

Just because something is the best, doesn't make it HoF worth....
You clearly doesn't understand what is the Hall of Fame.... it is not for the newer or the best, it is for the what was most important in the history.
Super Mario Bros. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Super Mario Galaxy 2
It may not be better, but it was infinite times more important.... heck, SMB is one of the most important games in history, a top five I would say, maybe the top 1.... so it is definitely a must have for the Hall of Fame.
Super Mario Galaxy 2? Yeah, fun. HoF worth? Hell no.... maybe in 10 years Galaxy 1 will be worth.... Galaxy 2? Nope.
Melee started the competitive scene, yes, but Smash 64 still was a thousand times more important in the history of games.... Melee is "just" an enhanced 64 after all.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Lol it looks like people are already divided on voting.

IMO: 64 gets my vote. Better to focus on the series a whole, as I think there are a heck of a lot more deserving games than Smash. Gaming's biggest crossover is the only thing Smash has above the rest and it'd be best to play that up.

Looking at the finalists for 2015, Smash seems puny compared to what's not there.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Aaaaand Melee players already starting a flame war. It's great to see so many fine, upstanding members of the Super Smash Bros. community.

Not that this poll matters at all. Any video game hall of fame that has FIFA or Angry Birds in the finals, or even in the running at all, can't possibly be taken seriously. So go ahead, Melee fans. Stuff the ballot box.

Last edited:
Top Bottom