• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Here's something for those of you who live in Logan:

The USU eSports Club will be playing Smash Bros this Wednesday from 5-8 on the 4th floor of Old Main. I'll be bringing a Project M setup, but there will definitely be Melee and most likely Smash 64 as well. They are thinking of making this a biweekly thing, so while the level of play is relatively low at the moment, it could help grow the relatively small Smash scene up here. If you go to USU and have some free time, you should definitely check it out!

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
how frowned upon would it be if i came to provo game den weekly this week with a melee setup, with the intent of only playing melee friendlies?

not very?

kk will do.

Last edited:

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer

The USU eSports Club will be playing Smash Bros this Wednesday from 5-8 on the 4th floor of Old Main. I'll be bringing a Project M setup, but there will definitely be Melee and most likely Smash 64 as well. They are thinking of making this a biweekly thing, so while the level of play is relatively low at the moment, it could help grow the relatively small Smash scene up here. If you go to USU and have some free time, you should definitely check it out!
Oh wow I can actually make it to this

Gojirakaiju

Smash Rookie
Smash at Weber Results:

MAIN BRACKET
Main Bracket

1: GA | Sinz

2: Roguay

3: Zykrath

4: Charliedon

5: Pumpinz

5: Amm0

7: 2Johns

7: Jeff Nelson

9: Felix Trapper

9: Jordan Hendricks

9: Kofu

9: Adapt | Mr. Fox

13: Russell Christensen

13: Shonduras

13: Cody McDermott

13: Matt Bishop

17: Josh Douglas

17: Steven Futian

17: Scott Garner

17: Anthony Tnti

17: Aaron Dayley

17: Ethan Sunday

17: Spencer Stephen

17: Adapt | Grinfinity

25: Andy Butler

25: Jacob Terrell

25: Hayden Thorpe

25: Stephanie Chonchar

AMATEUR BRACKET
Amateur Bracket Results

1: Adapt | Mr. Fox

2: Adapt | Grinfinity

3: Jeff Nelson

4: Felix Trapper

5: Austin Roeda

5: Kofu

7: Spencer Stephen

7: Shonduras

9: Andy Butler

9: Matt Bishop

9: Anthony Tinti

Had I known it would have been this free I would have shown up and risked some of that diaper money dude I'm a grown ass man!

But seriously I have no idea how good any of you are besides Sinz. I really want some good ogden casuals to get going.

Last edited:

John Mister

Smash Rookie
I just realized that all of the guys that outplaced me in main bracket were guys that either weren't in amateur, or I knocked into losers in amateur. My life...
who are you referring to, since everyone who placed above you, except one guy I think, didn't actually play in the amateur bracket.

BlackL1ght

Smash Cadet

I can bring a setup (no TV, too heavy) and a 3DS with a demo if anyone wants to play a few rounds of that.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Yeah, I don't think im going to do AM brackets anymore. . . Or if I do it'll be for free and winner gets glory. . . Because from my experience it's kinda ****ing stupid.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
How is it salt? I'm far from pissed off I just think it's stupid now that I have participated in it. There is nothing significant about winning a scrub bracket. If you wanna be good, place well or win in the bracket that actually matters.

Don't get cocky Shiro because you won AM. It just goes to prove that you're the biggest scrub of them all.

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
How is it salt? I'm far from pissed off I just think it's stupid now that I have participated in it. There is nothing significant about winning a scrub bracket. If you wanna be good, place well or win in the bracket that actually matters.

Don't get cocky Shiro because you won AM. It just goes to prove that you're the biggest scrub of them all.
Haha what did I say that sounded cocky? The closest thing to that was my troll attempt on the FB page, which you played into rather well.

Oh and @ net1234 net1234 yeah I'm still an amateur apparently. Thought I would do better after being in the lab so long, but I guess tournament practice is a necessary ingredient. Yeah the mm is still on.

Last edited:

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1alpl7HGXELk9OJZ7eXTt95QPDjNXbgJTPk6_YY4cVWw/edit#gid=0
Provo is Project M, Taylorsville should be Brawl, Something new added to the doc is the Byu Weekly check the doc for details.

One thing that UTAH needs to do is put up flyers for tournaments and advertising it everywhere and being stricter on starting tournaments ON TIME. Make a flyer or have someone else make it, then print them out or have someone else do that. Advertise the tournament at least a month before it begins and if you are making a facebook page make sure it is set to PUBLIC.
Just something I see in the community that needs improvement.

Also have the better players give people in the AM brackets advice on how to improve and what they are doing wrong. Help them out and encourage them to come to more tournaments in future.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't think im going to do AM brackets anymore. . . Or if I do it'll be for free and winner gets glory. . . Because from my experience it's kinda ****ing stupid.
i think amateur brackets are a good idea for those players who get quick 2-0'd. also i think the weeklies should be more like fests so that way people who for whatever reason don't want to enter a tournament every week will still come and play. maybe alternate weeks? (week 1 tournament week 2 fest etc.) also it would be dope if they were on friday or saturday

edit: also it would put less stress on you as a TO

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
i think amateur brackets are a good idea for those players who get quick 2-0'd. also i think the weeklies should be more like fests so that way people who for whatever reason don't want to enter a tournament every week will still come and play. maybe alternate weeks? (week 1 tournament week 2 fest etc.) also it would be dope if they were on friday or saturday
Yes yes yes to everything in this post.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
A smart player will always beat a technical player.
This a million times. But I'd like to add a separate topic. A player who keeps a cool head will almost always win against a frustrated player. This is something I noticed A LOT at the tournament on saturday. Too many people losing composure. I understand (I was ****ing horrible good god I was bad) but you really gotta learn to control yourself. No amount of practicing at home will do you good if you can't keep calm and stay collected.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
This a million times. But I'd like to add a separate topic. A player who keeps a cool head will almost always win against a frustrated player. This is something I noticed A LOT at the tournament on saturday. Too many people losing composure. I understand (I was ****ing horrible good god I was bad) but you really gotta learn to control yourself. No amount of practicing at home will do you good if you can't keep calm and stay collected.
I'm starting to realize this is me. I suppose the only antidote is to get out to more tournaments and get exposed to it more.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I'm starting to realize this is me. I suppose the only antidote is to get out to more tournaments and get exposed to it more.
Honestly just make it your goal to not get frustrated or if you do get collected within like 30 seconds.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
It's hard to keep collected in the middle of a set though, especially if there was an extreme outcome to the last game. This happened when I faced Charliezard. I got too excited and let it take hold of me.

Not to discredit him at all, disclaimer. He's definitely solid and has great fundamentals. He's improving quickly.

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
The head nod thing for when your opponent does something good is 10/10
or like when u shake ur head, then realize u ****ed up and nod ur head. that **** is 2 good.
@ Sinz Sinz i need to mm u so bad im so salty still.
@ Mr. Fox Mr. Fox remember never stop playing super homo. it doesn't matter if ur losing if u camp hard enough they'll probably come to you

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
so, with le smash 3ds coming out this le friday, I feel like there should be a doc with le friend codes of all ppl in utah that wanna be on it. sound le good?

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!

edit: also it would put less stress on you as a TO
Thank you for that! I've been planning on weeklies for some time now, but I couldn't do it at Gamers Asylum on Friday(because of MTG nerds) so it would have to be Thursday or something. Or I could wait till we get clearance at WSU. . . So this is where im stuck at. Id love some feed back on what we should do as a scene.

Last edited:

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Yeah, I noticed it too. @Pumpinz had it the worst. But I'm not out of this category I was playing on Tilt as you said. And it didnt change till it was too late.

Gojirakaiju

Smash Rookie
Honestly just make it your goal to not get frustrated or if you do get collected within like 30 seconds.
Some people benefit from frustration and anger. If I get shield grabbed as Bowser when I could have Koopa clawed for a grab I am going to get mad at myself then and make a mental reminder mid match rather than be Salty and mad later.

Again GGs Grinfinity. Stick with Shiek. LETS GO OGDEN!

Last edited:
Top Bottom