• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I host 50+ man weeklies and lemme tell you...

I used to do free tournaments. Good players never showed up. Not worth it. 30-man scrubfest.

Then I made them $1. They got really big. Still not a ton of attendance from top players but it was aight.

THEN SOME GUY CAME IN AND MADE A TRUESKILL POWER RANKING FOR ALL MY TOURNAMENTS.

OMG I CAN'T HOLD ALL THESE ENTRANTS. Good players stroke their e-peen by sitting at the top, but have to come to maintain their position. New players want to climb the ladder.

Now I don't charge anything for tournaments except for a $2 venue fee because the owner of the establishment says they're getting too big to deal with for free. People just want to get their name on the board.

Anyone who wants the UT community to grow has to be proactiv and make it happen. This is not the responsibility of a few key community leaders. Everyone and anyone with any sort of desire can do it. I will say, however, a few words in regards to your scene specifically.

I have moved a lot and lived in a lot of places. Some places I've had to foster melee scenes if they didn't exist. I'm used to it. When I moved to Provo and tried to get people excited about playing Melee again, it was the first time I've ever been somewhere where I not only got a few people that were supportive of the idea, but also a few people actually ACTIVELY MAKING IT HARDER by down-talking me, telling me why it "wouldn't work" or how "nobody's going to play anyway." It's one thing to not be supportive, and I'm used to this, but actually going out of your way to hinder progress on cultivating motivation for events is almost unheard of for me, and I was (silently) pissed about it. I tried hosting melee side-events at other Brawl tournaments, and they got entrants. I had fun. A few people loved them. A few people made them hellishly difficult to run. I got over it.

I wish I were still there with you, guys. Seeing all of you brainstorming on how to make your scene grow is such a relief. Just stop tripping people who are trying to move forward. I swear I'll move back and beat the **** outta you guys one day.

ily imy <3

-Mars-

Smash Hero
it's a competitive game. at what point do you stop caving in to the demands of newer players? they have no stake in the scene. They were not here keeping it alive in the 2000's. They were never paying entry fees, bringing the setups, pushing the spirit of the competition. Now they are here in big numbers because they want to be a part of what we have. So why are we catering so hard to the people that have given us nothing? We don't need to do anything else to make them stay. the community is incredible and the tournament experience is a chance to push yourself.

Saying that we should cater so hard to these newer players to improve the scene and drive up attendance makes no sense to me. That is not how we got to where we are and we don't need to incentivize people any further imo. If they don't see the value in spending their time and money at these tournaments, seeing how they can apply hard work, patience, and practice to better themselves, and build friendships that will no doubt transcend their "normal life" companions, then they aren't the kind of people worth keeping around anyway.

edit-don't get me wrong, i'm all for making changes and i get that you can never improve without making changes. but running these extra brackets strain an already very tight schedule for bigger tournaments. I don't see anyway to implement this without taking away from the experience. It also segregates the "noobs" from the "pros" which intensifies this idea that "they are pro and unlike us". mingling everybody together really makes you see we're all just normal ****in' doods, the only difference is some of us are willing to work hard and pursue what we want to do. I've been inspired a LOT by the pro players I've met and come to call friends, in many ways beyond smash. Why take that away from the newer players, usually younger people at that?
http://i.imgur.com/4RZDgMM.gif

Gojirakaiju

Smash Rookie
So I must ask. Have the caliber of players gone up? just skimming posts and it seems we have alot of confident players.

How big is the Melee scene currently?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I host 50+ man weeklies and lemme tell you...

I used to do free tournaments. Good players never showed up. Not worth it. 30-man scrubfest.

Then I made them $1. They got really big. Still not a ton of attendance from top players but it was aight.

THEN SOME GUY CAME IN AND MADE A TRUESKILL POWER RANKING FOR ALL MY TOURNAMENTS.

OMG I CAN'T HOLD ALL THESE ENTRANTS. Good players stroke their e-peen by sitting at the top, but have to come to maintain their position. New players want to climb the ladder.

Now I don't charge anything for tournaments except for a $2 venue fee because the owner of the establishment says they're getting too big to deal with for free. People just want to get their name on the board.

Anyone who wants the UT community to grow has to be proactiv and make it happen. This is not the responsibility of a few key community leaders. Everyone and anyone with any sort of desire can do it. I will say, however, a few words in regards to your scene specifically.

I have moved a lot and lived in a lot of places. Some places I've had to foster melee scenes if they didn't exist. I'm used to it. When I moved to Provo and tried to get people excited about playing Melee again, it was the first time I've ever been somewhere where I not only got a few people that were supportive of the idea, but also a few people actually ACTIVELY MAKING IT HARDER by down-talking me, telling me why it "wouldn't work" or how "nobody's going to play anyway." It's one thing to not be supportive, and I'm used to this, but actually going out of your way to hinder progress on cultivating motivation for events is almost unheard of for me, and I was (silently) pissed about it. I tried hosting melee side-events at other Brawl tournaments, and they got entrants. I had fun. A few people loved them. A few people made them hellishly difficult to run. I got over it.

I wish I were still there with you, guys. Seeing all of you brainstorming on how to make your scene grow is such a relief. Just stop tripping people who are trying to move forward. I swear I'll move back and beat the **** outta you guys one day.

ily imy <3
Money is a really important thing in these events.

I'm dead ****ing serious. I did the free tournament scrubfests and it never really sparked my drive. Yeah it was fun but it wasn't anything special. I did them with my buddy and it was fine. However, when I went to my first legitimate tournament at a god damn community center. There were 20 people in total. It was 3 dollar buy in with a 2 dollar venue fee. You know what? That small amount of money really drove me to try my hardest. I played against this Falco who did something I didn't even think of. aiming for the ledge and sweet spotting it. I couldn't hit him. I didn't want to grab the ledge because it was dishonorable(That sure did change fast). But I did want to play as good as I could, after all I had a chance to make something with something I loved. You know what? I beat him that time. Then I played against my best friend at the time and I lost to him. Then he ended up losing to this Dr. Mario who just spammed pills and did dash attack down smash.

I ended up getting my 5$ back. But you know what I ****ing loved it. It felt like I had done something great because of that. It was a small adrenaline burst that really pushed me to try my hardest to get better.

A few months later I went to a big tournament with @ArcticDrac there. Man El Paso even showed up. I got destroyed. I lost so badly. But you know what? I wanted to win again. I practiced with my friend and we made so many new friends through smash. I met @GoldenGlove @Kashakunaki @Alphabravo (albeit he was already friends with Erich. I just never spent time with him) and so many more. It honestly helped shape my life. I owe so much in my life to smash. I feel so ****ing weird saying it but it literally forged hundreds of connections for me. It's something that I still love doing. I really feel its because of that one ****ty tournament in a community center with a tiny ass fee that pushed me to try as hard as I did, and do.

A player just needs to have one time to shine. He doesn't even have to be on top. He just needs enough of a push to go further.

EDIT:

Who would like to go to a Vegas Tournament on October 18th. We'd be leaving October 17th to get there. I have 4 open seats. I'm not sure how much it would cost yet.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
sounds like money is the only thing important to you
is what i got from that
c.r.e.a.m

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
so we all have different preferences and motivations for playing. some feel like money is a barrier to entry; some don't. some feel like winning money is motivating; some don't. some want amateur brackets; some don't. some people like smash; some don't. even net is old enough to know that you're never gonna please everyone.

why is the price for the weeklies the way it is? because we wanted to raise the pot so good players would be incentivized to come and so third had enough to get his tourney fees back without me or tsuteto putting in our own money. we messed around with price points throughout the summer. guess what, it didn't change turnout. why is there no brawl in provo and no melee in taylorsville? because when they were held, no one came.

complaining about things after a decision has been made, and not actually contributing to the conversation when the decision is being made is fruitless and dumb. large corporations have rules against that type of behavior in meetings cause they know how toxic it is. if a decision was made and you didn't like it, you have to admit to yourself that you didn't care enough about it to fight and have people rally for the other way. if you feel like something is actively hurting the scene and an organizational shift is required, propose your idea for a course correction. if people like the idea, then we can implement it. if not, that's koo. at least we actively considered it. it's just that not enough people felt the same way, and that's to be expected because we all have different things that motivate us and different reasons for being in the scene.

MassProducedWaffles

Smash Cadet
Although I have no control over what is happening at the taylorsville weekly tomorrow, I created a poll to see how many people would be able to attend, and what game they would like to have hosted so we could get an idea on what the attendence will be like based on the game. Also with all this debate over the price of the weeklies I threw in a question regarding that. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zlEanAwrQV9zLHPYHwTp9nsp_cy1ddRkO8Nxr0thDPI/viewform?usp=send_form
Respond only once of course, no point in doing it 100 times and then having 3 people show up. Hopefully this can get the attendence of weeklies up.

Last edited:

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Also down in Spanish Fork at Game Land World (1320 E Center Street) I'm hosting free weeklies on Thursdays from 3:00-9:30 pm. We do melee and brawl setups. The player base is kind of scrubby but if good people come it can probably get better.

This isn't trying to take away from gameden btw, this is more focused on people in Provo/Orem/mapleton/springville who don't really want to drive up to taylorsville and can't go to Provo on Tuesdays.

We welcome money matches and really anything.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
. I'm just saying we need to find ways to mitigate losing players who get flustered after one bad tournament showing and end up dropping out of the scene or complaining about it.
That's a them problem, not an us problem. We will never be able to do enough to satisfy these kinds of johners. Get better or **** off, you lost because you aren't good. If they can't see that then what the hell can we ever do to help them?

That's just IMO on all of this, not much else to say, and I agree with virtually everything else being said that I didn't directly quote/contradict. Tuesday's post owned and I never mean to be the guy ****ting on everybody's parade although I feel like more often than not I'm the only person willing to put those words out there. It's not who I am guys, I promise. Just playing a role that I feel needs to be portrayed and isn't.

Hope everybody's doing well. @ Perfect Chaos Perfect Chaos I saw that set vs zero... :| migga

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
@ Tomacawk Tomacawk fair enough assessment, and yes it is probably more a them problem than an us problem.

Anyways like I said, weeklies on thursday down in spanish fork for Utah county peeps who don't want to drive up to taylorsville. Free entry, feel free to bring a setup though space may be a little limited. <3

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
It will be Project M at the game den tonight. Brawl at the one that's tomorrow night. $5 and $5 for fees, $2 off venue for bringing a full set up

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Since we want people to travel for the Gym Leader thing, I vote for @ Sinz Sinz and @Xsyven as Gym Leaders and @Jekyll and @ Tomacawk Tomacawk as Elite Four. It'll be like a real Pokemon Smash journey.
(Completely ingores the "not far" part in @ Tsuteto Tsuteto 's post.)

PS: I can totally see @net1234 trying to get into the amateur bracket when at least three of people such as Yaz, Sinz, Lada, and myself are all there (if amateur bracket gets money for winning, that is). XD

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
So the 18th of October has 3 tournaments going on. on one in Vegas one in Co and one here

wangston

Smash Lord
What up *****es! I have not been on smashboard in like 5 months. When is the weekly and where is it?

I'm going tonight. Discount for halfset up. My bike can't fit a tv just a wii and PM.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Since we want people to travel for the Gym Leader thing, I vote for @ Sinz Sinz and @Xsyven as Gym Leaders and @Jekyll and @ Tomacawk Tomacawk as Elite Four. It'll be like a real Pokemon Smash journey.
(Completely ingores the "not far" part in @ Tsuteto Tsuteto 's post.)

PS: I can totally see @net1234 trying to get into the amateur bracket when at least three of people such as Yaz, Sinz, Lada, and myself are all there (if amateur bracket gets money for winning, that is). XD
hahaha

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Only offering for full set up, sorry.

Totally loving the idea of an actual travel plan XD

And yes, so upset about literally everyone planning everything on the weekend of ANIME BANZAI

madcowsyndrome

Smash Rookie
NNID
madcowsyndrome
Okay, after lurking on this thread for a minute I decided to make an account.

I've got to ask though, is there a Smash scene in northern Utah at all? I'm in the Ogden area, and I only know like three people who are willing to play with me.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
@ Pumpinz Pumpinz WILL host a fest in ogden soon
You've been saying this Pumpinz is going to host a fest for awhile now.

Okay, after lurking on this thread for a minute I decided to make an account.

I've got to ask though, is there a Smash scene in northern Utah at all? I'm in the Ogden area, and I only know like three people who are willing to play with me.
PM me your number and I'll hit you up sometime. I live in the South Ogden area kind of near Weber State. There isn't really anyone else in Ogden but @ -Mars- -Mars- , @ Support. Support. , @ Roguay Roguay are all in the Roy/Layton area aswell.

madcowsyndrome

Smash Rookie
NNID
madcowsyndrome
You've been saying this Pumpinz is going to host a fest for awhile now.

PM me your number and I'll hit you up sometime. I live in the South Ogden area kind of near Weber State. There isn't really anyone else in Ogden but @ -Mars- -Mars- , @ Support. Support. , @ Roguay Roguay are all in the Roy/Layton area aswell.
Alright man, sounds good.

Should get everyone in this area together soon.

Top Bottom