• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Melee's top-8 hasn't even happened, and you're already saying that. If you still think the same after Melee is over, then maybe you're playing the wrong game?

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Melee's top-8 hasn't even happened, and you're already saying that. If you still think the same after Melee is over, then maybe you're playing the wrong game?
this top 8 looks boring compared to last years

and blazblue's finals were actually really hype
but we'll see

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
every game is bad except for ssbm and usf4

mahvel is especially dumb because its basically watching who can perform the infinite first

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Ok my hype is gone now. All of the potential future matchups aren't the most fun to watch. Even though the Mango/Armada rivalry is intense, the matchup is meh

PP v Mango was the last bastion of hype left :(

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dont get how people dont find sets like the Armada v HBox set earlier to not be hype. The footsies are beautiful.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I dont get how people dont find sets like the Armada v HBox set earlier to not be hype. The footsies are beautiful.
That was my favorite Hbox v Armada ever because Hbox actually was aggressive.

...but the way that match usually turns out is the most dreadful thing to ever happen to competitive melee.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Slow time outs are still enjoyable imo, dont get why people playing safe and playing the spacing game is considered so boring. Its really crazy to just watch the spacing game and I really enjoy it.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Slow time outs are still enjoyable imo, dont get why people playing safe and playing the spacing game is considered so boring. Its really crazy to just watch the spacing game and I really enjoy it.
Its not bad necessarily but the speed mixed with mindgames and combos in Mango v PP are basically unmatched at the top level. (With the exception of a few other matchups).

Hbox, M2K and Armada have devolved the game to slow paced super defensive matches. Mango actually complained about this in a Super Sweet interview.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
He's complaining because he's the one who has to play it lol. Long matches like that are VERY mentally draining and going into a set where you know there's going to be 2-3, or even 3-5 near time outs in a row, if youre playing that, theres no way youre going to be happy about it so of course youre going to complain. However, theyre still really fantastic to watch imo.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
You're certainly the minority for believing matches that go to timeout are fun to watch.

Proof? Apex 2010 Grand Finals are one of the least watched GF sets from a national (Probably THE least watched). It was watched less than the matches before it in the same tournament. (Apex 2010 was Hbox vs Armada)

I've watched a lot of smash, including those two sets and its easily my most disliked melee sets of all time.

Last edited:

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Watching Hungrybox's falco in that first match made me puke a little.

Was still better than my falco. >_>

EDIT: Matches that run out the clock are typically fairly boring to watch because 9/10 times it'll be because the players are excessively camping or just can't seem to hit each other (in the incompetence sense not the superior dodging sense). That said clock run-outs of the 10% variety are usually pretty hype.

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero

EDIT: Matches that run out the clock are typically fairly boring to watch because 9/10 times it'll be because the players are excessively camping or just can't seem to hit each other (in the incompetence sense not the superior dodging sense). That said clock run-outs of the 10% variety are usually pretty hype.
Its not incompetence its called spacing

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116

if u think running the clock is easy
you have much yet to learn

but you can keep doing your brain dead aggro
and keep getting bopped for it
by all means

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Melee community is just never happy
All competitive gaming is just filled with constant ********.

You're either playing the wrong game, playing it the wrong way, or something. The FGC in particular is the ****ing worst. That's why e sports will never be a relatively big thing, everyone is separated and just complaining constantly.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand whats wrong with some amount of complaining. It leads to discussions and gives others an opportunity to enhance/fix your thoughts.

I think what everyone is referring to here is the complaints in regards to the Jiggs v Y. Link match and the overall hype of Hbox v Mango in Grand Finals.

If Melee players/spectators really appreciated the defensive/slow playstyles, they'd watch and play Brawl. Who cares which is a better game or which playstyle is better or more entertaining to any specific person. I'm speaking about the general consensus.

In regards to the Fox v Puff matchup, it historically hasn't been as well received as other high level matchups. People seemed most hyped about the idea that hungrybox had an opportunity at winning, dethroning who some describe as a "cocky, arrogant" player. Also, the people complaining about the complainers are ironically the same people complaining about the lack of diversity in Melee Top 8s. People saying things along the lines of "I'd hate to see a fox/fox or falco/fox grand finals". People seemed geninuely happy that a Jigglypuff was GF.

I'm very satisfied with EVO's results and I think it was a great tournament. However, while the GF/LF were both still really good sets technically, I feel that it wasn't indicative of the biggest smash tournament to ever exist.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm here only because I'm wondering how this thread has one of the most posts/views now that the old houston thread is closed.
That's why e sports will never be a relatively big thing, everyone is separated and just complaining constantly.
Umm.
Esports is already big. Wotter u talking about?

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm here only because I'm wondering how this thread has one of the most posts/views now that the old houston thread is closed.

Umm.
Esports is already big. Wotter u talking about?
We haven't moved to Facebook yet like every other scene

Erion

Smash Cadet
I'm in Harrisville (the town), practically Ogden, for a week. Anyone wanna play some Melee?

PS: Probably willing to drive to SLC too.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You're either playing the wrong game, playing it the wrong way, or something. The FGC in particular is the ****ing worst. That's why e sports will never be a relatively big thing, everyone is separated and just complaining constantly.
E sports is already a huge thing, what are you talking about.

Top Bottom