• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
And yaz is number 138, Dryu is 188, and Lada is 192 :D

UTAH REPRESENTS!!

DZLE

Smash Master
Brawl is just bad.

Also, depending, since it's on the 21st, me and (don't even know if reddog was planning on going) travis probably can't make it to C!Z's melee thing... We are going to bear lake for like a week, POSSIBLY starting on the 21st. Details almost worked out, will let you all know.

-Final-

Aria♪
Well, I already have other plans for the 21st (Not that I'd really be able to go to C!Z's Melee tourney anyways. >_>). I haven't had anyone to play melee with since G.E.E.X.

I'll be there at Z'zgashi's tournament, though

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You better all come to my tournament, there is brawl, melee, free drinks, and (possibly) free food, depends on how nice my grandmother feels like being again

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What should i try practicing first? I have almost zero skills since i originally joined the scene as 100% brawl

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
From what I've read on some threads is your L-cancel and spacing.
Wavedash is easy to learn compared to L-cancel.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
*hasn't heard of L-canceling in melee* Need to learn L-canceling... i do know wavedashing a little already, and spacing i do need to work on as well, thanks for the tips

Kurosaki Ichigo

Smash Apprentice
Give it a few weeks.

Utah may not have a huge melee scene of its own but I think it's close enough to all the other Top Grade melee scenes in the U.S that that is made up for, to some degree.

As far as what's most important in SSBM and being a player that stands a chance these are probably the most important things:

L-Canceling (Easiest concept to learn that'll improve you in melee. You can practice by using the - Z - button instead of the L or the R.)

Directional Influence (Controls the direction you go after attack-collision. Basically point your joystick towards the opposite of where you want to go immediately after you get hit.

Shield Grab(R/L/ Light Sheild with Z + A. Much slower than a grab standing still or super grab.)/Super-Grab (Dash+up+L/R/Z)

Tilting (Reference to hitboxes.)

ShFFL-ing (Short-hop, fast-fall,L-cancel)

ShFFLwL (More advanced: Short-hop,fast-fall,L-cancel,wave-land)

Hit-Box of Attacks (It may look like a character is hitting somewhere when in reality their hitbox is more amazing than you thought.)

Everything else is basic and if you don't get things well enough like dashing/dash-dancing,di, etc, then try doing all-star mode on expert without having to continue. That's the best training you can have on 1-player. Other than that, the best ways to learn are to play in training with the slowest speed, 1/4, I think, and other players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhBO7TBSDSE

This is the smash I grew up into the melee scene watchin' on a daily basis. Yeh. Whatever. ¬.¬

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
ShFFwLL (More advanced: Short-hop,fast-fall, wave-land,L-cancel)
fake?

Because... you're still in the move and you can't waveland until you are out of the move? Which is going to get lcanceled after you waveland? :/

sounds like badmojo.

Top Bottom