• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I really like amateur brackets. It gives you more play time with atmosphere of tournament matches. And while yes, you are not playing people with a great difference in skill, you already played some good people in pools. Given the standard double elimination bracket, there's a good chance that would be about the same amount of good people you play anyway. It should also be obvious that you're not good if you end up in an amateur bracket anyway. There should still be that desire to improve regardless.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
worked at pound 5 pretty much without a hitch.

it would be way more awkward for smaller tournaments (coughcoughuscough) that arent big enough to have pools.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yeah I was saying it was a good thing to encourage people to come back even if they don't make it out of pools.

Beta was saying if you're not strong enough to push through with a good mindset you shouldn't be playing smash to begin with

Foy

Smash Champion
owh, mr. foy is currently at miss ambers house and is down to play smash, rps, sf, tic tac toe and beer/smoking games if anyone is interested. :D

huMps

Smash Ace
owh, mr. foy is currently at miss ambers house and is down to play smash, rps, sf, tic tac toe and beer/smoking games if anyone is interested. :D
7:45 am.?! god damn it Foy, I'd love too.
You gotsta get on the day shift fiz nizzle.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I will be figuring out soon which dates I will be using for the next two tournaments in Troy. The first will be probably be one of September 10, 17 or 24, and the second will be at least a month later.

Does anyone have preferences or know of anything that would stop people from going on one of those September dates?

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
I will be figuring out soon which dates I will be using for the next two tournaments in Troy. The first will be probably be one of September 10, 17 or 24, and the second will be at least a month later.

Does anyone have preferences or know of anything that would stop people from going on one of those September dates?
Any date is fine. Just need ~1 month notice.

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I have good news for people in syracuse, and bad news for bad people like erk.

I talked to the guy who ran the last fighting game tournament I went to, hes trying to make his event a regular monthly tournament series. And I convinced him to put hold brawl tourneys at his event. Its at the comic book/hobby store in the mall, the big mall. i forget the name.

looking like brawl only tho, at least for the moment.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord

i think slashy was hosting something in rochester in early september. talk to him.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace

I talked to the guy who ran the last fighting game tournament I went to, hes trying to make his event a regular monthly tournament series. And I convinced him to put hold brawl tourneys at his event. Its at the comic book/hobby store in the mall, the big mall. i forget the name.

That would be Play the Game Read the Story, just to clarify.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords

MetalPat

Smash Ace

this man = ****. i talked to him about 3 months ago about doing it and he said he'd "consider it and email me back"

but he is a saint, as i love tournaments :)

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
we can always shadow run small melee tournaments in the midst of the brawl tourny. and yeah it's play the game read the story it is an alright venue but they r jerks sometimes much like many comic book nerdy elitist types.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i mean the guy that ran the store while i was there was chill, he just got pissed at neil because neil was cussin up a storm in a family store. but other than that, those guys were fine.

i mean people dont seem to notice, but if you help people and follow the rules, good things come to you.

Law of Reciprocity yall, learn about it.

in the same vein, @ metal pat, I didnt see you at his tourney. if you really talked to the same guy me and sharky talked to, and really wanted him to run your game, how come you didnt support his event?

the main reason that i went to that tourney for marvel (aside from it being a marvel tourney) was because hes driven out to rochester for our tourneys multiple times.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman

That would be amazing. Too bad for no melee but take what you can get.

Any rough idea when this would be starting?

x13mako

Smash Ace

MetalPat

Smash Ace
@ metal pat, I didnt see you at his tourney. if you really talked to the same guy me and sharky talked to, and really wanted him to run your game, how come you didnt support his event?

the main reason that i went to that tourney for marvel (aside from it being a marvel tourney) was because hes driven out to rochester for our tourneys multiple times.
firstly, if its the same owner, then i had already talked to him twice about it in the last year, seeing as i dont make it to albany too often. and he has told me he'd think about it and to email him, so i do, and he never gets back tome.

second, i didnt know the tournament was at this venue. since i didnt plan on going to non brawl tournaments, i didnt care to see where it was actually being held.

thirdly, i gave him my time, so im not going to go to a tournament i dont care about just to get told no, again. so if you guys can host, thats great, ill find somewhere a little closer to home.

Sharky

Smash Master
just pasting what I've written in a couple places:

Was biking into work saturday morning, someone had a bunch of branches they had cleared layed out on the side of the road to be collected but had left one branch.sticking out into the road. Since it was still dark out I didn't see it, and it caught my front wheel. Faceplant.

[2:31:12 AM] Sharky: so total damage
[2:31:27 AM] Sharky: four small chunks out of my right pinkie
[2:31:31 AM] Sharky: two on the left
[2:31:37 AM] Sharky: two sprained triceps
[2:31:54 AM] Sharky: two large scrapes/gashes whatever on my face
[2:32:03 AM] Sharky: and a minor concussion

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
just pasting what I've written in a couple places:

Was biking into work saturday morning, someone had a bunch of branches they had cleared layed out on the side of the road to be collected but had left one branch.sticking out into the road. Since it was still dark out I didn't see it, and it caught my front wheel. Faceplant.

[2:31:12 AM] Sharky: so total damage
[2:31:27 AM] Sharky: four small chunks out of my right pinkie
[2:31:31 AM] Sharky: two on the left
[2:31:37 AM] Sharky: two sprained triceps
[2:31:54 AM] Sharky: two large scrapes/gashes whatever on my face
[2:32:03 AM] Sharky: and a minor concussion
Don't do that, it hurts.

Top Bottom