• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
- Remove Final Destination. Battlefield was -- and always will be -- better.
I agree with everything on this post except for this point, because i need a place to fight with no items and fox only.

-I believe all of the characters that have been included in sm4sh are great additions with a wonderful personality behind each of them, and little Mac has quickly grown on me to become one of my favorite nintendo characters. (not necessarily unpopular, but my opinion nonetheless)
-I believe the only way for the smash series to get better is for it to be closer to melee, not necessarily in mechanics, but definitely in speed.
-I'd take 3 olimar clones before krystal.
-K.Rool is the only deserving character for another donkey kong slot, with dixie being a far second
-every time someone requests bowser jr., a kitten dies. (trufax)
-Fire emblem having so little reps is a travesty
-Konami needs a mgs and belmont rep, they're both important 3rd parties.
-Project M is the definitive smash bros, i have yet to see if sm4sh will usurp this position.
-there isn't a single character from brawl that i don't want back
-There shouldnt be 5th or 6th gen pokemon reps.
-elitist isn't necessarily bad, people here are accused of it for little reason by casuals who have no idea what they're talking about.

-Anyone here who hasn't at least seen the smash doc shouldn't be able to bag on the competitive community, as said person does not know enough about it.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Oh this thread is still around.

I don't want any unlockable characters or stages.

I don't care at all which newcomers get in, just as long as the keep being unique as they have been so far.

I still expect the roster to be 42 or 43 slots with 2-4 cuts from Brawl.

Pokemon Trainer should be scrapped for just Charizard or totally reworked in terms of mechanics. Preferably the latter with Stamina, Forced Switching, and Switching time being fixed.

No characters from Brawl truly need a nerf except for MK and ICs. Even then, the nerfs shouldn’t be extreme. For ICs get rid of their infinite CG but as a compromise buff up their grab game in some other form. For MK just take his KO power down, have his Dspecial be his best KO move, which means giving it more knockback to since it is a risky move for an attack, and give his moves less priority and the problem should be solved and he remains a solid and good character. No other character deserves a nerf, but many deserve a buff.

I like all 3, currently out, Smash game equally and find all 3 to be competitive equally, just in different ways.

I don’t care if L-cancel or Wavedashing come back. However Melee’s Crouch Cancel should come back, being able to cancel a dash with a crouch is a great mechanic. Dash Dancing should come back as well and be more powerful then what it was in Brawl but less powerful then it was in Melee. Power Shielding should come back instead of Perfect Shielding. Buffering should stay. SSB4 should also have its own mechanics.

And lol at the people attacking other people's opinions in this thread now, I guess people didn't read the OP. :p

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Here are some of my "unpopular" opinions. But this is what the thread is for so here you go:
  • Wolf > Falco
  • New Pokemon Rep > Jigglypuff
  • Paper Mario as an alt for Mario, changing his moveset, size, etc
  • I don't think Kid Icarus really needs a second rep, not that I wouldn't mind one
  • Luigi needs a moveset involving the Poltergust 5000 and the Negative Zone Final Smash needs to go
  • Fan needs to be nerfed
  • Super Sonic/Wario Man needs to be nerfed
  • Character specific victory themes
  • Diddy and Dixie Tag-Team is alright with me
  • FLUDD should stay, but do damage. Also his nozzle should be changeable

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I don't want Palutena to be playable.
I'd prefer Krystal over Falco.
I understand why people want Pac-Man, but I've seen his new show and game and nooooo thank you.
I am perfectly okay with a Diddy and Dixie Tag-Team

Boom, Done

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care for Palutena at all, or any second KI rep at all.
I actually like cutscenes showing Nintendo characters interact, and wish they had returned for SSB4.
There's nothing wrong with Mario having up to 7 reps, it's THE flagship franchise in gaming.
I think it's cool if iconic characters from Nintendo franchises make the list, even if I'm not a fan of the franchise at all. I'd rather have an important character from a franchise I don't care for get in(Ridley) than an unimportant character from one of my favorite franchises(like more Kirby reps. I freaking love Kirby, but I don't support any more Kirby characters for Smash)..

Last edited:

JosukeM

Smash Rookie
- If Diddy/Dixie tag team is a real thing, I would prefer Dixie not being in the game
- I honestly don't care if Ridley is not a character, I don't see him doing anything Bowser or Charizard (if it returns) can't do
- They can make all the cuts they want, as long as they respect the Original 12 and Melee survivors
- I'm not really hyped about the 3DS version
- Waluigi, Daisy and Bowser Jr. as selectable characters would turn Smash Bros. into Mario Kart/Party
- I don't care about game mechanics like Wavedashing or L-Cancel, I don't play Smash Bros. "competitively", I play Street Fighter, World Heroes or King of Fighters for that

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I guess I'll add one more opinion to the pile: The Pokémon series getting equal "representation" for each of its generations is an illogical idea. 1st Generation "over-representation" makes total sense from a popularity/iconic standpoint. But that's not even the case, since they're not "Gen 1 reps" to begin with. Pikachu, Jiggz, Mewtwo, and PT don't "represent" Generation 1. They represent the series overall. It just so happens that these Generation 1 Pokemon represent the overall series very well. Pokemon generations aren't different subsets of a franchise that need individual representation. "Generations" are really just glorified sequels in a steady string of releases. "Gen 3", for example, doesn't warrant its own "representative" in, say, Blaziken, any more than something like Super Mario Sunshine warrants its own "representative" in Bowser Jr. The current Pokémon characters represent Generation 3 just as the current Mario characters represent Sunshine.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I guess I'll add one more opinion to the pile: The Pokémon series getting equal "representation" for each of its generations is an illogical idea. 1st Generation "over-representation" makes total sense from a popularity/iconic standpoint. But that's not even the case, since they're not "Gen 1 reps" to begin with. Pikachu, Jiggz, Mewtwo, and PT don't "represent" Generation 1. They represent the series overall. It just so happens that these Generation 1 Pokemon represent the overall series very well. Pokemon generations aren't different subsets of a franchise that need individual representation. "Generations" are really just glorified sequels in a steady string of releases. "Gen 3", for example, doesn't warrant its own "representative" in, say, Blaziken, any more than something like Super Mario Sunshine warrants its own "representative" in Bowser Jr. The current Pokémon characters represent Generation 3 just as the current Mario characters represent Sunshine.
Solid post is solid.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
- If Diddy/Dixie tag team is a real thing, I would prefer Dixie not being in the game
- I honestly don't care if Ridley is not a character, I don't see him doing anything Bowser or Charizard (if it returns) can't do
- They can make all the cuts they want, as long as they respect the Original 12 and Melee survivors
- I'm not really hyped about the 3DS version
- Waluigi, Daisy and Bowser Jr. as selectable characters would turn Smash Bros. into Mario Kart/Party
- I don't care about game mechanics like Wavedashing or L-Cancel, I don't play Smash Bros. "competitively", I play Street Fighter, World Heroes or King of Fighters for that
You play World Heroes competitively? With whom? AUhah sorry but this game is kind of dead and I really like this franchise.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't really care for Palutena at all, or any second KI rep at all.
I actually like cutscenes showing Nintendo characters interact, and wish they had returned for SSB4.
There's nothing wrong with Mario having up to 7 reps, it's THE flagship franchise in gaming.
I think it's cool if iconic characters from Nintendo franchises make the list, even if I'm not a fan of the franchise at all. I'd rather have an important character from a franchise I don't care for get in(Ridley) than an unimportant character from one of my favorite franchises(like more Kirby reps. I freaking love Kirby, but I don't support any more Kirby characters for Smash)..
Bolded statements are ones that shouldn't be unpopular opinions. I feel that big franchise should get more reps (Zelda plz)

I honestly don't care if Ridley is not a character, I don't see him doing anything Bowser or Charizard (if it returns) can't do
Lol.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
- ROB should stay.
- I want Ike to stay and for there to be a third FE rep - as long as that rep isn't Chrom.
- The only Zelda newcomer I want is Skull Kid. (RIP)
- Chibi-Robo should be playable.
- DK needs another rep - ideally both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong.
- Advance Wars needs a rep. Badly.
- Metroid needs another rep but I would prefer one of the hunters (Sylux) to be playable rather than Ridley.
- Kirby deserves a fourth rep.
- I want an Epic Yarn stage over a Return to Dreamland stage.
- I don't care about WFT.
- Jigglypuff can leave.
- Shulk should be an AT.
- The only third-party character that should be in at this point is Bomberman. It is a travesty that he hasn't been included yet.
- That being said, I would be so hype for Jack Frost (SMT) or Professor Layton to make an appearance.
- I don't understand why Simon Belmont is even an option compared to Bomberman.
- I don't want Pac-Man in solely because there are other Namco Bandai characters I'd rather see like Klonoa, Lloyd from Tales of, Nightmare from Soul Calibur, hell even WadaDon.
- Snake is fun as hell but he should be cut.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Can Bowser and Charizard be as badass as Ridley?
Checkmate.
hey there you are

also here's another one in relation to Pokemon for unpopular opinions:

Let's stop with this "Flavor of the Week" bull**** with Pokemon and Fire Emblem. While I believe all series should be treated on equal footing regardless of sales and more based on their own merits, that's just it. Every time either gets a new character in their canon fans think they're a special snowflake. While we're at it, no more of this 'Let's remove the weakest link" stuff with either of the series - Lucario already proves that even if a character is added for Flavor of the Week, they can have staying power.

oh and

Ike and Lucario have importance to their series, especially Ike.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Hey guise

Can I cheat with an unpopular but not disagreeable opinion?

Because thinking about it:

Micaiah is redundant and no longer necessary because of Palutena. It's unfair that she's not liked, but virtually any reason to include her that doesn't deal with FE is done better by Palutena.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
that works magicalkuja

Speaking of which, iunno, I never really compared Micaiah and Palutena but if they were in the same series? Yeah I can see that. To be honest, after I played Radiant Dawn I even felt like "Yeah this works better as AT material" - Great character, but sharing the protag spot doesn't help.

also wow that join date. I hardly ever see users from 2001.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Micaiah is redundant and no longer necessary because of Palutena. It's unfair that she's not liked, but virtually any reason to include her that doesn't deal with FE is done better by Palutena.
Weeeeell, I'm not trying to argue against the opinion or anything I just wanna point something out, there is a slight difference here. Thanks to her staff and shield Palutena can easily be given close-comabt among ranged combat and her magical attacks. Micahah has he fists sure, but that wouldn't exactly work that great. The difference is pretty much this; One character is a thousand more times popular then the other and offers a play-style the primarily ranged and magic based but can also easily be given close-comabt attacks to make her easier to implement and still be totally unique whereas the other is much less popular but would offer a play-style that who fully ranged with no close combat at all but, which no other character has at all, but harder it implement. Obviously the go-to choice would be Palutena but they both have differences to them.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Not feeling diddy tomorrow at all! I feel maybe a DK screen it will be like pokemon x and y release day, the mighty sakurai will not always bend at the hip for game releases. I have spoken also DAT BANNER is still up today

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
While I'm sure Sakurai could make it work, I don't really want Ridley to be playable. And not because he's too big, but because I think he's boring. His more cool features like advance speech and stuff seemed to come from the anime, the video game versions weren't anything that special. I guess it would make people happy though, so I wouldn't mind, I want other people to be happy of course haha.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
While I'm sure Sakurai could make it work, I don't really want Ridley to be playable. And not because he's too big, but because I think he's boring. His more cool features like advance speech and stuff seemed to come from the anime, the video game versions weren't anything that special. I guess it would make people happy though, so I wouldn't mind, I want other people to be happy of course haha.
There was never a metriod anime.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
He means the manga, dood. Ridley had speaking lines and a s***ton of characterization not present in any of the games.

that works magicalkuja

Speaking of which, iunno, I never really compared Micaiah and Palutena but if they were in the same series? Yeah I can see that. To be honest, after I played Radiant Dawn I even felt like "Yeah this works better as AT material" - Great character, but sharing the protag spot doesn't help.

also wow that join date. I hardly ever see users from 2001.
I was here when Melee first had that 9 minute + trailer. I was also in middle school.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I don't hate the FLUDD move, and while I rarely use it, I have no problem with it being back.
- I'm all for having more sword users except for Magnus because I'd rather have Palutena for the next Kid Icarus character.
- I mostly dislike Little Mac's inclusion because it further confirms that stupid E3 rumor that says Pacman and Miis might be added.
- I never use Sheik and mostly play as Zelda.
- Ninten and Ness (to me) look way too similar. Even as an alternate costume it'd be confusing.
- With the success of Fire Emblem Awakening, and the upcoming SMT x FE, I can totally see more than 2 FE characters. Hopefully...
- I'm still more hyped for Rosalina than Little Mac.
- Every time someone claims Pacman to be the prodigal Godsend 3rd Party character that deserves a place in Smash Bros., it makes me want to strangle someone!
- Chibi Robo would be an awesome addition.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
- I don't hate the FLUDD move, and while I rarely use it, I have no problem with it being back.
- I'm all for having more sword users except for Magnus because I'd rather have Palutena for the next Kid Icarus character.
- I mostly dislike Little Mac's inclusion because it further confirms that stupid E3 rumor that says Pacman and Miis might be added.
- I never use Sheik and mostly play as Zelda.
- Ninten and Ness (to me) look way too similar. Even as an alternate costume it'd be confusing.
- With the success of Fire Emblem Awakening, and the upcoming SMT x FE, I can totally see more than 2 FE characters. Hopefully...
- I'm still more hyped for Rosalina than Little Mac.
- Every time someone claims Pacman to be the prodigal Godsend 3rd Party character that deserves a place in Smash Bros., it makes me want to strangle someone!
- Chibi Robo would be an awesome addition.
- Same here, though it is somewhat random.
- With you, since a handful of my most wanted (Ghirahim, Lucina) are sword users but don't have to be generic.
- Well, they said they would be revealed at e3 and they weren't, so right there it's false. There are a million reasons why he guessed one half right, and my opinion is that the other 3 were added by the guy. So I choose not to believe it.
- Sheik is better but Zelda in her TP outfit is so pretty!
- Absolutely agreed. I heard that the even gave you the option to name Ness to make it so it could be either character.
- Yeah. And it will definitely be Chrom or Lucina.
- Yeah. Though Little Mac's trailer was really awesome.
- I LOVE YOU!! I don't hate Pacman (except for the ghostly adventure version) but this bothers me to no end!
- I'd be down with this, especially if he was the smallest character in the game.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
- I don't understand why Sakurai allows swords but not guns

- I think Pac-man would be one of the worst personalities to be considered for Smash

- I honestly wouldn't care if half of the entire roster was comprised of Pokemon.

- Competitive Smash should be an afterthought, make the base audience happy first!

- Sakurai should have seen his carpal tunnel coming after the development of the new Kid Icarus.

- Males in Smash seem to be getting more an more effeminate with each passing Smash

D

Deleted member

-I like that Brawl allowed for infinite air dodges. While it eliminated wavedashing, it provided a more comfortable experience for me in battle. I've had some frustrations and accidental deaths in Melee because of the one air dodge limit.

-King K. Rool and Dixie Kong have both earned a spot on the roster. Personally, I find both of them to be shoo-ins… though I know that only one will get in and not the other.

-While Sonic and Mega Man are third parties, I find them to be locks for every Smash now. I can't see a reason why they shouldn't be in the game. They are both Nintendo all-stars despite not being owned by Nintendo.

T

Trick or Treat

I don't really care for Dixie. I wouldn't hate it if she was in the game, but I'd prefer her spot went to someone else.

This goes for any other DK rep, actually. I think DK and Diddy are enough.

JosukeM

Smash Rookie
Can Bowser and Charizard be as badass as Ridley?
Checkmate.
Well, technically, if Ridley gets in, he would be fighting against Kirby, Peach or the Villager in colorful backgrounds like Yoshi's Island or the Animal Crossing Town using a fan as a weapon.

Being badass would be off the table then

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
-Dixie Kong and King K Rool are both equally deserving
-I LOVE Other M being the base for the Metroid franchise in Smash 4 because I dislike the series and fanbase
-Yoshi's moveset is basically fine
-Ike should not be a starter
-Roy never deserved to be in Smash
-I do not see Jigglypuff as a 100% shoe-in

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- Same here, though it is somewhat random.
- With you, since a handful of my most wanted (Ghirahim, Lucina) are sword users but don't have to be generic.
- Well, they said they would be revealed at e3 and they weren't, so right there it's false. There are a million reasons why he guessed one half right, and my opinion is that the other 3 were added by the guy. So I choose not to believe it.
- Sheik is better but Zelda in her TP outfit is so pretty!
- Absolutely agreed. I heard that the even gave you the option to name Ness to make it so it could be either character.
- Yeah. And it will definitely be Chrom or Lucina.
- Yeah. Though Little Mac's trailer was really awesome.
- I LOVE YOU!! I don't hate Pacman (except for the ghostly adventure version) but this bothers me to no end!
- I'd be down with this, especially if he was the smallest character in the game.
- I'll agree the FLUDD move is kinda useless unless you're skillful with it, but I'm glad Sunshine gets some love. I don't understand why people hate that game...
- Totally. I'm all for inclusions like Shulk and Chrom. Ghirahim I'm neutral about since I haven't played Skyward Sword but I'd be okay if he gets in.
- I really don't want to believe it but Little Mac kinda makes it more true. Even if they weren't shown off at E3. Still I hope it's not true.
- I dunno I like Zelda's playstyle more. Project M has also spoiled me with how she handles on there. And yeah the TP style is great. Glad to see it back for the next one. :D
- It probably pisses off Mother/Earthbound fans to say that but they look almost exactly alike! (Except for some fanart)
- Totally. Though I'm rooting for Anna as well. She's sorta the unofficial FE mascot like Marth.
- Well yeah Little Mac's trailer was awesome but Rosalina's had me way more hyped.
- They also call him the King of Platforming alongside Sonic and Megaman. First off, original arcade Pacman isn't a platformer. It's a maze game (had to look up the wiki to find what genre it was exactly). And his platformers just weren't memorable enough to call him a King of Platformers. And to me he's definitely not a worthy guest to a Nintendo All Stars game. Also I don't wanna sound like a Sonic fan complaining about Green eyes (or blue arms apparently) but I hate his Ghostly Adventures design!
- Thank God Olimar's here so we don't have the argument like "Chibi Robo's too small".

- Another thing, I really like the black outlines in the 3DS version. Not sure why that gets a lot of hate too...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Villager hyped me the most out of all characters revealed. I usually see Little Mac or Megaman hyping people(Don't get me wrong, they were cool reveals)

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I like playing on even the most ridiculous stages (like 75M and Hanenbow), but I cannot stand playing on Fourside. Don't know why, the stage just doesn't do it for me.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Unless Nintendo addresses the controller situation (which they probably won't), we should consider making the Hori Classic Controller legal.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
My unpopular opinions are probably unpopular because of the way this board is, so don't judge me.

-I don't want Ridley (over rated imo)
-I don't want Pacman
-I don't want Miis
-I would prefer Miis to be either an Assist Trophy or the new 100 man smash enemies
-I actually want Medli playable (probably a double character with Makar)
-I want that to be the 5th Zelda slot
-I don't want Tingle
-I think L-Cancelling is a pointless thing
-I think Wave dashing is stupid, it's just an exploit with too much "but merrr teknikal skeel"
-I don't care if you say they "But they kept that in"
-I don't think Project M is the definitive smash game, saying that is just stupid, it's not even a game it's a hack of Brawl.
-I want Micaiah playable

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
-I LOVE Other M being the base for the Metroid franchise in Smash 4 because I dislike the series and fanbase
I'd be wary of posting something like this because I can find you and beat you up.

But I don't have any particularly unpopular opinions other than not liking Dixie.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinions? I would be perfectly satisfied if only two more newcomers were announced: Dixie Kong and Claus/Masked Man.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Personally, my hype would be killed greatly if Ridley was revealed. He's so overrated, and I personally don't want him at all. Keep him a stage hazard, it's where he belongs.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally, my hype would be killed greatly if Ridley was revealed. He's so overrated, and I personally don't want him at all. Keep him a stage hazard, it's where he belongs.
I don't mean to rag on ya. This is just an observation I see and has nothing to do with you personally, but Ridley is becoming the new Sonic.

People said all those things about him too. (Minus the stage hazard thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom