• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The new stage looks nice, but a good way to solve the lighting issue may just to be to make the overall lighting a little brighter, which would make the platforms more obvious. Plus any place with that much lava is going to be pretty bright, regardless. :p

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The new stage looks nice, but a good way to solve the lighting issue may just to be to make the overall lighting a little brighter, which would make the platforms more obvious. Plus any place with that much lava is going to be pretty bright, regardless. :p
It doesn't looks good this way. I think it would be better to just make the platforms brighter.
Depends on how high it is.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Welp, its pretty much done. Now we just need to test it on Wii and maybe add something in the background (im not sure if it will cause lag or not, so, im not sure if i should do it). Right now, there are 3 versions:
  • Version with platforms just going up and down (default version)
  • Version with platforms moving around a lot more than in default version
  • Version with platforms moving around in same way as in version 2, except they malfunction and fall down when they are supposed to return to their regular spots. Those platforms actually rise up after short amount of time before sinking back, so, you can stand on them for some time as seen here, but they also rotate while doing so. After some time, new platforms appear from the top.

Icemonkey

Smash Rookie
How do I get the bonus recolors to work? Do I just paste the files into the pit folder? Some help on this would be much appreciated.
Also this mod is ridiculously fun, fantastic job on this :D

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
How do I get the bonus recolors to work? Do I just paste the files into the pit folder? Some help on this would be much appreciated.
You rename the files (Ex: FitPhantomRidley00 = FitPit00)

latinking

Smash Apprentice
BaganSmashBros, is it normal that Ganondorf can't reflect Ridley's fireballs? Whenever my friend timed it perfectly, the fireball would simply explode on Ganondorf's cape.

By the way, making Ridley's stage is an excellent addition to your overall amazing mod (hope you can throw in a few Funes/Namines and Magdolites in the background, maybe even both of Ridley's Black Pirates?). When you finish it, I assume you will also replace every song that was present in Skyworld? If that's the case, may you please put the song below as one of them?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
BaganSmashBros, is it normal that Ganondorf can't reflect Ridley's fireballs? Whenever my friend timed it perfectly, the fireball would simply explode on Ganondorf's cape.

By the way, making Ridley's stage is an excellent addition to your overall amazing mod (hope you can throw in a few Funes/Namines and Magdolites in the background, maybe even both of Ridley's Black Pirates?). When you finish it, I assume you will also replace every song that was present in Skyworld? If that's the case, may you please put the song below as one of them?

Don't know. It shouldn't explode when it hits his opponent and instead should disappear. It explodes only if it hits part of the stage.

I hope i can add those enemies too. Without lagging the game of course. And unfortunately, i can't make BRSTMs that can loop.
That wouldn't work. You have to insert those files into pit's folder, but then you'll have to rename them in the way you want them to be (FitPit00 = default, FitPit01 = red, FitPit02 = green, FitPit03 = blue, FitPit04 = black, etc). You'll have to replace already existing recolors though.
Thanks.
Awesome, thanks! I'm also guessing that it's not possible to have the standard colors and the bonus recolors on at the same time, is it?
You can. But not all of them. You'll have to replace files.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Don't know. It shouldn't explode when it hits his opponent and instead should disappear. It explodes only if it hits part of the stage.

I hope i can add those enemies too. Without lagging the game of course. And unfortunately, i can't make BRSTMs that can loop.
Is there any way you can make Ridley's fireballs work like other projectiles in the game? As in, make them get reflected by all the moves that can send back projectiles (such as Fox's Down B, Mario's Side B, etc)? If that's not possible, what's the reason behind it?

I also hope you can those enemies. But what does BRSTMs mean?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is there any way you can make Ridley's fireballs work like other projectiles in the game? As in, make them get reflected by all the moves that can send back projectiles (such as Fox's Down B, Mario's Side B, etc)? If that's not possible, what's the reason behind it?

I also hope you can those enemies. But what does BRSTMs mean?
They are reflectable, from shields to true reflectors (or at least should be since its set like this in their coding). But i guess Ganondorf works in some weird way.

File format for the music in most Wii games. Can be looped without extra coding required. Its all done in the file itself.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
If enough has been done to warrant it, could you give an update of Super Metroid Ridley? My friends/family are particularly looking forward to it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

remember Bagan: "Never Falter."

F
Yeah. Its a sad day. Didn't expected it to happen at all.
R.I.P.
If enough has been done to warrant it, could you give an update of Super Metroid Ridley? My friends/family are particularly looking forward to it.
I haven't really touched him yet. Just remade Wait 2 animation, but it pretty much is main mod's down taunt. This model's legs kinda discourage me from animating it or something. I have to do a lot more to fix sliding with those.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Yeah. Its a sad day. Didn't expected it to happen at all.
R.I.P.

I haven't really touched him yet. Just remade Wait 2 animation, but it pretty much is main mod's down taunt. This model's legs kinda discourage me from animating it or something. I have to do a lot more to fix sliding with those.
Yeah, RIP Iwata...

Oh, that's right, I forgot it was a mini-PSA of sorts. It's not possible to rig him over the current one, right? Of course it'll look way better with movements intended for that model but something to appease them for now would be cool.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, RIP Iwata...

Oh, that's right, I forgot it was a mini-PSA of sorts. It's not possible to rig him over the current one, right? Of course it'll look way better with movements intended for that model but something to appease them for now would be cool.
It is possible, but he will have different proportions (long arms, longer torso, slightly shorter legs, normal head size, shorter neck, weird wings, etc) that can be fixed, but will require a lot of changes in animations. And i can't rig stuff of course.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
It is possible, but he will have different proportions (long arms, longer torso, slightly shorter legs, normal head size, shorter neck, weird wings, etc) that can be fixed, but will require a lot of changes in animations. And i can't rig stuff of course.
Okay, got it. I'll wait for the eventual changes then, thanks!

latinking

Smash Apprentice
They are reflectable, from shields to true reflectors (or at least should be since its set like this in their coding)
I tried it with Mario's Cape, Zelda's Nayru Shield, Ness's Baseball Bat, Mewtwo's Side B and Fox's, Falco's and Wolf's Reflectors. None of them are able to send back Ridley's Fireballs. The Fireball simply explodes on contact with anything that is supposed to reflect them. Hope it's fixable.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Let's lighten up the mood a bit...
MenSelchrMark.X0.png
MenSelchrMark.X0-1.png
MenSelchrMark.X4.png

I made these in my spare time.
The first two are meant for Ridley, and are taken from the space pirate logo. The first one is from the log books in Metroid Prime while the second one has the claw only. The third one is for any of the Dark Samus PSA's floating around the vault, I just used a couple Julia Fractals to give it that "corrupted" look.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I tried it with Mario's Cape, Zelda's Nayru Shield, Ness's Baseball Bat, Mewtwo's Side B and Fox's, Falco's and Wolf's Reflectors. None of them are able to send back Ridley's Fireballs. The Fireball simply explodes on contact with anything that is supposed to reflect them. Hope it's fixable.
Weird. It shouldn't happen. They are set as reflectable and absorbable. Perhaps i left some line of code that triggers it to go into explosion state or reflector is considered a floor/ceilling/wall/etc. kind of thing.
Let's lighten up the mood a bit...
View attachment 61629 View attachment 61630 View attachment 61631
I made these in my spare time.
The first two are meant for Ridley, and are taken from the space pirate logo. The first one is from the log books in Metroid Prime while the second one has the claw only. The third one is for any of the Dark Samus PSA's floating around the vault, I just used a couple Julia Fractals to give it that "corrupted" look.
Thanks, but first one is already done:

I still haven't added those to the mod because icons on result screen are not textures. They are models. I can probably turn one of those models into a flat square with a texture, but im not sure if it will be colored properly after that.

Looks like (Super) Ki-Hunter swarm is not an option for background stuff. I'll visit Metroid wiki to see if there are any other creatures other than Magdollites, Ki-Hunters, red Sidehopper things and Fuunes/Nahimes/snake things in Lower Norfair.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Succesfully added a single Nahime and 2 Magdollites (well, its actually same Magdollite, but i made him move to make it look like there is more than one of them).

They don't actually roar though. They are silent because of stage mods limitations. And Magdollite seen here shouldn't be so dark - he is supposed to look like lava around him. Those are the only enemies i could add without too much work required or the game lagging badly. Im not sure about latter part though. It needs to be tested first.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Weird. It shouldn't happen. They are set as reflectable and absorbable. Perhaps i left some line of code that triggers it to go into explosion state or reflector is considered a floor/ceilling/wall/etc. kind of thing.
Have you tested it on your end? Maybe the problem is from my side (perhaps I misplaced a file)? Also, Ness's Down B is able to absorb Ridley's fireball, so that's working well. It's only the reflecting bit that isn't.

Looks like (Super) Ki-Hunter swarm is not an option for background stuff. I'll visit Metroid wiki to see if there are any other creatures other than Magdollites, Ki-Hunters, red Sidehopper things and Fuunes/Nahimes/snake things in Lower Norfair.
You've pretty much named 90% of the wildlife that can be found in Lower Norfair. The only ones left are Zebbos, Holtz and (Multi)Violas, all of which don't have existing 3D models I believe.

Seeing as how you've already made Ridley's personal guards, perhaps you could put them to use? :)
metroid___leader_s_personal_guard_by_bagansmashbros-d8drj5z.png

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Have you tested it on your end? Maybe the problem is from my side (perhaps I misplaced a file)? Also, Ness's Down B is able to absorb Ridley's fireball, so that's working well. It's only the reflecting bit
I haven't tested yet. Will do it.
You've pretty much named 90% of the wildlife that can be found in Lower Norfair. The only ones left are Zebbos, Holtz and (Multi)Violas, all of which don't have existing 3D models I believe.
What a shame.
Seeing as how you've already made Ridley's personal guards, you should put them to use, perhaps have them spar with each other in the background with their lunging kicks and other attacks :)
View attachment 61648
The problem is that when animation gets too complex, it starts to act weird and if i will fix it, then it will lose its natural feel. Also, i can't put GFX for them, so, no dust effect when they will land or things like this. Its already bad with Magdollites since they just rise from lava with no ripples in it or anything that you'd expect to see. Just goes up through lava.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that when animation gets too complex, it starts to act weird and if i will fix it, then it will lose its natural feel. Also, i can't put GFX for them, so, no dust effect when they will land or things like this. Its already bad with Magdollites since they just rise from lava with no ripples in it or anything that you'd expect to see. Just goes up through lava.
Yeah I remembered the animation limit problem after I posted. If you just give the pirate guards their standing/idle animation from Super Metroid (where they're slightly shaking back and forth in their fighting stance/pose), would that stay under the animation limit? If that works, the next question is whether you'd have both pirates look at each other in the background (exactly like Samus finds them doing when she enters their room), or have them stare at the screen towards the fighters on stage.

Good luck on finishing the stage. :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah I remembered the animation limit problem after I posted. If you just give the pirate guards their standing/idle animation from Super Metroid (where they're slightly shaking back and forth in their fighting stance/pose), would that stay under the animation limit? If that works, the next question is whether you'd have both pirates look at each other in the background (exactly like Samus finds them doing when she enters their room), or have them stare at the screen towards the fighters on stage.

Good luck on finishing the stage. :)
Yes. If i'll add those, they will most likely look at the screen. But i must find where to put them first. I can attach them to the pillars since Space Pirates can climb walls, but i have to find proper animation for that first.

Thanks.

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
Could it be possible to make a version of the stage that works with the stage expansion?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I decided to scrap Nahime and Magdollites. They don't belong here. Those two are nowhere near Ridley's room and i can't properly place them because of the stage's layout. But his black Space Pirates are.

One of them remains on the main platform while other one is on a pillar. Former one jumps sideways at certain points while latter one attempts to snipe one of the players or something, but then goes back to hanging on the pillar without shooting. Their animations are separate, so, they are not synchronized. If i could program some kind of stage hazards, then that pirate probably would actually shoot someone. But they seem to lag the game (or its just my PC being that weak, but it never gets that slow with other stages), so, i might remove them too. Would be more accurate since only Ridley appears in his room.
Oh, and they look so big because they are big. They should be nearly twice as tall as Samus, but that obviously wouldn't work well here. And they have textures for black parts, but they look blurry here for some reasons.

Last edited:

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
Can not wait for this stage! It looks incredible! And for the Stage Expansion thing, I think all you have to do is rename the pac and rel files of the stage (and also a little bit of optimizing if there is a thing in the stage that only works if it's over Skyworld.)

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
Wow alot of this is pretty fantastic. The Space Pirates really make that stage unique. Can't wait for the finished stage

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Something I've always hated in most fan stages are npc's and characters that hang out in the background without actually doing anything that they normally would. If the Pirates are in the stage, they shouldn't just stand there watching, they should be trying to join the fray (even if they're unable to), or doing Space Piratey things.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Can not wait for this stage! It looks incredible! And for the Stage Expansion thing, I think all you have to do is rename the pac and rel files of the stage (and also a little bit of optimizing if there is a thing in the stage that only works if it's over Skyworld.)
Thanks and i doubt optimizing will be required since i actually used Norfair as a base since it can have 3 things animated at once.
Wow alot of this is pretty fantastic. The Space Pirates really make that stage unique. Can't wait for the finished stage
Thanks.
Something I've always hated in most fan stages are npc's and characters that hang out in the background without actually doing anything that they normally would. If the Pirates are in the stage, they shouldn't just stand there watching, they should be trying to join the fray (even if they're unable to), or doing Space Piratey things.
They don't just stand there. Space Pirate on the platform jumps sideways sometimes and the other one aims at one of the opponents (more like at the main platform, but whatever) at some point (but doesn't shoots for obvious reasons) and jumps to pillar near him. I can't do more than that though. Its already a pain in the a** to find proper animations for them and they don't taunt in Other M like most enemies do, so, its even harder.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Its already a pain in the a** to find proper animations for them and they don't taunt in Other M like most enemies do, so, its even harder.
Wait - are you ripping animations straight out of Other M?

Colour me impressed, dumbfounded, befuddled, and gobstopped. I applaud thee!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wait - are you ripping animations straight out of Other M?

Colour me impressed, dumbfounded, befuddled, and gobstopped. I applaud thee!
Thanks, but its not that hard. Other M's animations and models are, oddly enough, compatible with Brawl. They have different versions, but its very easy to fix. Some models (like Vorash) go haywire, but most of them are just fine. Those models also don't fit Brawl's lighting and look too dark, but its easy to fix. The only real problems is that models are too small (they are 1125% smaller and resizing them doesn't always works well) and have different rigging for their right half (this is why Ridley in this mod has bones on right arm and leg bent in wrong directions when thrown) and animations are very complex, so, they have large file size. And at least one model (one from Pyrosphere with that bridge than Vorash breaks) just refuses to save in BrawlBox.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Your stage is very good! I can't wait to play it when it's finish with a Ridley VS Samus in it. Also it will be cool if this stage is used in Machinima in the futur.

Top Bottom