• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Bait or not is irrelevant, the mod should remain the focus of the thread.

While asking "Why would people want ___ as a mod" is a valid question, it's sort of past the point of arguing for/against it when it's already 80% complete.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Are you actually removing the Other M spikes from Ridley's model? I actually liked those...
No, i'll just leave those as an alternative for those who wants cleaner Ridley. It isn't perfect as i said already - when his legs rotate far enough, you can see holes where top hip spikes should be because of the way those spikes were rigged. I can't do anything about that.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
No, i'll just leave those as an alternative for those who wants cleaner Ridley. It isn't perfect as i said already - when his legs rotate far enough, you can see holes where top hip spikes should be because of the way those spikes were rigged. I can't do anything about that.
I don't suppose you could look on KC-MM for someone to re-rig and fix the model? While I'm not proficient enough to do much with 3D models, I do know enough to infer that it should be a relatively simple task.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ok no hate but why do you guys want ridley in the game so much?
Okay, let's first take a look at all the characters that could potentially get in Smash:
-Rundas: Originates from and represents MP3. Saves your bum twice in the game, then gets corrupted and needs to be slain. Has nice music. Could get a good moveset with ice attacks. Most popular of the three MP3 bounty hunters.
-Ghor: Originates from and represents MP3. Fights in a mech thing. Other than that he is nothing to write home about. You kill him and that's it.
-Gandrayda: Originates from and represents MP3. Second to Rundas in popularity because Ghor is utterly unable to compete. Her power is shapeshifting, which is kind of difficult to make a moveset out of.
-MP:H hunters: They originate from and represent a spinoff game which wasn't received all that well. The only notable one is Sylux, because he was Samus' nemesis in that game. Too 'small' to properly represent Metroid as a series.
-Dark Samus: Main villain of the MP series. Lots of movepool potential and more representative power than the characters mentioned before due to having a larger role and appearing in more games.
-Anthony: Sidekick from Other M, notable for being the only useful person in that game, with Samus' powersuit coming a close seconds only hampered by the fact that it isn't a person. Has potential, but he only represents the ever-controversial Other M.
-Adam: Has little to no potential because he spends all the time in a chair saying things. The only thing he has going for him is that he has a humanoid figure.
-Ridley: Samus' nemesis and highly recurring villain in the Metroid series. Has a ton of movepool potential because of him being a boss in nearly every game. Pretty much the most important character in Metroid next to Samus.
So, why Ridley? He represents the entirety of the Metroid franchise, unlike the other characters. He appears in nearly every Metroid game as a boss. He is the reason Samus became a bounty hunter in the first place. He has a large amount of material to make a moveset out of.
Also, he is a space pirate dragon that eats people.
ALSO also, he is one of the only, if not the only veteran characters that isn't playable. He has appeared in every Smash game to date.

It's literally like adding Rayquaza into the game
I want you to think about the word 'literally' and why you shouldn't use it when it doesn't mean 'literally'.
I also want you to seriously compare Ridley and Rayquaza in terms of roles in their respective games and overall posture, as well as which one would be more suitable in a fighting game.

Isn't it possible to just flatten the spikes and give them a different texture to make them blend in with the legs?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Isn't it possible to just flatten the spikes and give them a different texture to make them blend in with the legs?
They will still get distorted, so, it won't change much.
I don't suppose you could look on KC-MM for someone to re-rig and fix the model? While I'm not proficient enough to do much with 3D models, I do know enough to infer that it should be a relatively simple task.
Yeah. Ask for something on KC-MM. 90% of the time nothing happens.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, you can either ask someone to merge the loose join in a special program like Bender, or just keep the hip spikes.

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
I tried it. But Brawl Ridley looks too similar to current desaturated default recolor, with the only real difference being his wings. He looks blue only on his stage while his model is purple.
Maybe you're right, I think his shade of purple looks pretty close to Brawl's now that you mention it. Oh well, maybe if you feel it's a bit redundant having 3 purple Ridleys (because it kinda is lol), I could try to make the wing edit myself when you release it. Thanks anyways.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Yeah. Ask for something on KC-MM. 90% of the time nothing happens.
Because everyone's busy doing their own things.
The modding community's been shrinking, even when I first showed up.
When you get such a low amount of people left there really isn't motivation to drop their work to work on something else. Especially when so many modding projects are started and dropped with very little results during it's lifetime.

I COULD possibly rig something up, but I'd need specifics. I'd also need the model files again, accidentally deleted them when I was cleaning up my laptop.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, you can either ask someone to merge the loose join in a special program like Bender, or just keep the hip spikes.
Blender is wrong program to use for this kind of stuff and hip spikes were fixed anyway, along with item placement during all of animations.
Because everyone's busy doing their own things.
The modding community's been shrinking, even when I first showed up.
When you get such a low amount of people left there really isn't motivation to drop their work to work on something else. Especially when so many modding projects are started and dropped with very little results during it's lifetime.

I COULD possibly rig something up, but I'd need specifics. I'd also need the model files again, accidentally deleted them when I was cleaning up my laptop.
Well, thats the reason. Either way, its won't help much. And i kinda fixed hip spikes already (now its just not noticable). And about rigging something up, what exactly do you mean? Fixing those hip spikes or...?

31 animations left and most of them are very simple.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Blender is wrong program to use for this kind of stuff and hip spikes were fixed anyway, along with item placement during all of animations.

Well, thats the reason. Either way, its won't help much. And i kinda fixed hip spikes already (now its just not noticable). And about rigging something up, what exactly do you mean? Fixing those hip spikes or...?

My Body is RIDLEY!

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Are one slots with bone differences possible? I've heard one slot PSA's have been done before. Maybe Ridley could have an alt that is the Brawl Ridley model if the one-slots with bone differences can be done.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Are one slots with bone differences possible? I've heard one slot PSA's have been done before. Maybe Ridley could have an alt that is the Brawl Ridley model if the one-slots with bone differences can be done.
You most likely think of size mods and slot-speciffic attacks (like Dr.Mario's pills). Either way, animations will still heavely distort any model that wasn't used while animating it and certain body parts like legs and arms always should have certain names.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So, i decided to prepare materials for Meta Ridley alt (or at least recolor) and here are results:

They are transparent and match Meta Ridley's wings...totally not because i just ripped off his materials and replaced Ridley's wing materials. But hey, they work and its all that matters.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, I'm really liking how Ridley looks with the lack of spikes! On that same note, I see that you got rid of the pink (or just lighter compared to the rest of his body) coloration on Ridley's "beak" in those pics, idk if it's just with that skin but I really like it!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have to say, I'm really liking how Ridley looks with the lack of spikes! On that same note, I see that you got rid of the pink (or just lighter compared to the rest of his body) coloration on Ridley's "beak" in those pics, idk if it's just with that skin but I really like it!
Its just because textures are darker and desaturated. Its still kinda present, but not as noticable.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
CHOOOO CHOOOO!!!!! Hype train from Ridley Station is close to docking to Project M station get your hype ready!
This is the most Glorious New Year's month ever.
on a side note, I noticed how this Meta Ridley recolor has white pupils, I think that would work for my pupliless idea.
and for the spikeless version, could you also remove the head quils? I noticed his stance on the Dragoon is the stance he had on his ship in Zero Mission (at least that what I think it is)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
CHOOOO CHOOOO!!!!! Hype train from Ridley Station is close to docking to Project M station get your hype ready!
This is the most Glorious New Year's month ever.
on a side note, I noticed how this Meta Ridley recolor has white pupils, I think that would work for my pupliless idea.
and for the spikeless version, could you also remove the head quils? I noticed his stance on the Dragoon is the stance he had on his ship in Zero Mission (at least that what I think it is)
But those are different textures and not as detailed as textures with pupils.
I won't remove those because without them, his head looks really weird.
Stance is based off his Super Metroid sitting/flying pose.

TheBirdSolution

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBirdSolution
Suppose there's no chance that Ridley can go grey for the Meta alt? or at least have it as a recolour? (sorry, Prime is my no. 1 game of all time, I'm just a fanboy for this kinda' thing!)

latinking

Smash Apprentice
As I wait for the mod's release, I'll be listening to this orchestral remix of Ridley's Lair from Super Metroid :)

Speaking of Lower Norfair and Ridley, you did an amazing job on this deviantart image BaganSmashBros! My hype for Ridley is too much now!

I also found on your deviantart page an image which shows early work of your mod, comparing it's size to Bowser's.
http://bagansmashbros.deviantart.com/art/SSBB-Ridley-PSA-RE-1-489194726
Is he still the same size in the current mod? It's sort of hard to tell without recent comparison shots.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Suppose there's no chance that Ridley can go grey for the Meta alt? or at least have it as a recolour? (sorry, Prime is my no. 1 game of all time, I'm just a fanboy for this kinda' thing!)
Well, if alt costume won't be possible, then sure. He will have transparent wings too.
As I wait for the mod's release, I'll be listening to this orchestral remix of Ridley's Lair from Super Metroid :)

Speaking of Lower Norfair and Ridley, you did an amazing job on this deviantart image BaganSmashBros! My hype for Ridley is too much now!

I also found on your deviantart page an image which shows early work of your mod, comparing it's size to Bowser's.
http://bagansmashbros.deviantart.com/art/SSBB-Ridley-PSA-RE-1-489194726
Is he still the same size in the current mod? It's sort of hard to tell without recent comparison shots.
Thanks. And there was a size comparizon by Warzenchwein on one of the previous pages. He is a little bit bigger now when compared to that old comparison.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
He is a little bit bigger now when compared to that old comparison.
I see. Is there a particular reason why his size changed? Were you dissatisfied with the original size, or you got a new model/textures that forced a size increase, etc?

I personally think that original size still looks good, and it clearly shows that Bowser remains as the largest character in the game. I am aware that the current mod is, from what I can tell, close to Bowser's (not sure if slightly larger or smaller), but I can tell that if you ever decide to decrease Ridley's size back to what he was in that deviantart image, it'll garner even more positive critics :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I see. Is there a particular reason why his size changed? Were you dissatisfied with the original size, or you got a new model/textures that forced a size increase, etc?

I personally think that original size still looks good, and it clearly shows that Bowser remains as the largest character in the game. I am aware that the current mod is, from what I can tell, close to Bowser's (not sure if slightly larger or smaller), but I can tell that if you ever decide to decrease Ridley's size back to what he was in that deviantart image, it'll garner even more positive critics :)
It was to fit Battlefield-type stages so he wouldn't clip through platforms enough for someone above to hit him without even going down.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
It was to fit Battlefield-type stages so he wouldn't clip through platforms enough for someone above to hit him without even going down.
So it was his wings and/or head that was clipping through platforms? If you shrank your current mod, will his wings have the same problem as the original model?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So it was his wings and/or head that was clipping through platforms? If you shrank your current mod, will his wings have the same problem as the original model?
Both his wings and head. If i will shrink his model further, then he will be too small, but clipping issues will disappear more-or-less.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Both his wings and head. If i will shrink his model further, then he will be too small, but clipping issues will disappear more-or-less.
I see. Well, it's always good to know that the possibility is always there, in case there's a huge demand for a smaller-than-Bowser version of your Ridley mod.

Keep up the fantastic work :)

Tungsten

Smash Rookie
Just discovered your outstanding work today! Naturally, I am very hyped for this to become playable. If you need a balance tester, i'd be more than happy to help you out. Also, when do you suppose the beta stops being closed?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Just discovered your outstanding work today! Naturally, I am very hyped for this to become playable. If you need a balance tester, i'd be more than happy to help you out. Also, when do you suppose the beta stops being closed?
Somewhere after February 7th. Along with first release.

So, i finished Metroid Prime (not just Meta Ridley because Omega Ridley's roars were used too) and Brawl sfx replacements. I think former one is better than latter one.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Somewhere after February 7th. Along with first release.

So, i finished Metroid Prime (not just Meta Ridley because Omega Ridley's roars were used too) and Brawl sfx replacements. I think former one is better than latter one.
11 days until release?
HYPE ENGINES HAVE DETONATED! everyone please evacuate the hype train.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
We haven't even tested 1v1 properly and a release is coming?

Oh boi, I thought we wanted to impress the PMDT with le superb balance.

Tungsten

Smash Rookie
Sweeeeeeeet. balance comes with open beta. a few part time testers wont be able to do as good a job as the community in figuring balance out. When the beta is over, thats when we impress the PMDT.

Top Bottom