• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~!~ UNOFFICIAL Competitive Tournament Rules - Stage Ban List *UPDATED* ~!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonz

Smash Ace
Some of those Counter Stages should be banned IMO. Green Hill Zone is a walk-off. Other stages have "temporary walk-offs" which is still a walk-off (Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza).

But Great Sea is the number one stage on that list that needs to be banned.

Although Sky World is almost neutral in appearance, I wouldn't argue with anyone who wants to ban it. Once you play on it you understand.
Delphino won't be banned, Siege won't either. Temporary walk-offs aren't a big deal. If someone camps the side just a few seconds til the stage moves again, or take your chances on the side.

Wlokos

Smash Rookie
Like sxiz mentioned, I'm not quite understanding the logic between letting 1-2 ruin the possibility of 1-1 being allowed for counterpicks.

It seems pretty simple to me. Treat it like any other stage, with one caveat - if 1-2 ends up being loaded, the match is immediately declared null and the stage is reloaded. I'd hate to see an entirely playable stage be neglected due to the small chance of a second stage loading, when it's so easy to work around that.

I don't have any opinions on other stages yet, though, because I'm waiting for the NA release. I'm sure whatever list develops before then will serve fine in the short-term.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Honestly though, the only stage left that I feel needs any discussion is Luigi's Mansion. Maybe it's just because I played on it the most, but I can't imagine how people would not consider this stage Neutral. It's very standard in style despite being unique, and doesn't favor any character to a yet noticable degree.
I posted this earlier, but after thinking about it.

The problems I can see are the solid platforms inside the house... Those could be used to stall similar to Termina / Hyrule in Melee, but since the stage is much smaller, and the platforms are breakable, it's not AS big a deal. It could also create a similar situation with a pit of life like Hyrule, albeit obviously not as bad. I can also see people like Mario, Falco, etc using it to projectile camp, and unlike other stages, you can't go through the platform above them to get to them, you have to go around (They can turn around), or Roll.

The breaking of the stage isn't a problem at all. In fact I think that makes it more balanced. I'm thankful it's not random ghosts coming by and killing you or something like I expected. xd But I can see why it isn't neutral. Solid platform = Bad.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Some of those Counter Stages should be banned IMO. Green Hill Zone is a walk-off. Other stages have "temporary walk-offs" which is still a walk-off (Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza).

But Great Sea is the number one stage on that list that needs to be banned.

Although Sky World is almost neutral in appearance, I wouldn't argue with anyone who wants to ban it. Once you play on it you understand.
Why so opposed to walk-offs? Castle Siege and Delfino Plaza are nowhere close to needing to be banned. And why do you dislike Great Sea? Only issues with it are bombs (I'd compare them to maybe Onett cars) and the catapault that comes up, waits about an entire second, and then shoots.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Why so opposed to walk-offs? Castle Siege and Delfino Plaza are nowhere close to needing to be banned. And why do you dislike Great Sea? Only issues with it are bombs (I'd compare them to maybe Onett cars) and the catapault that comes up, waits about an entire second, and then shoots.
I agree Great sea shouldn't be banned, but walk off stages and wall stages need to be banned because DDD can kill most characters if he lands a grab on a walk off stage, and on stages with walls, DDD and fox can do infinite combos (chain grab and shine)

This is if I'm not mistaken...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Temporary walk-offs are still walk-offs. A few seconds is all Dedede needs to d-throw a character all the way to the edge and f-throw FTW. The same goes for "Temporary" walls.

In fact, I would say "temporary" should be about a second or two, nothing more.

As for Great Sea. I love it. I love the Wind Waker look to it. If there was only cannonballs, or only water, or only decreased gravity, or only a pseudo vertical-wall, or only fall-through glitches, or only 1-hit KOs from the Ship, or only an annoying catapult.... then I'd say it would make a swell Counter Stage.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Greenhill zone should be banned since it is a walk-off.

Skyworld should be banned since when the platforms they cannot be grappled onto and several characters have grapple recoveries.

Fonz

Smash Ace
Don't get grabbed be dedede during the brief time that the stages have walkoffs, or if you really can't manage that (everyone else can) and dedede takes you to siege/delphino just pick a character that can get out of the cg.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's possible for Dedede to chainthrow to death on Delphino either, because of how bumpy to stage is in the walk off parts. Could be wrong though.

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
I played the competitive scene for a while in melee, I only play FD dreamland and other neutrals when I'm smashin with friends.

HOWEVER. I got to thinking stage bans are HELLA lame. wow. A noob made a comment to me the other day when i turned off items - "aww man, they give such a projectile strategy that's completely absent without." thats how stages like newpork city and hyrule temple are supposed to be played. with items. If items are much more catchable, why don't we consider turning them on? BLAH BLAH BLAH random events. I gauruntee the better player still wins.

whatever, its just sad to see that a new game has finally graced us with its appearance, and yet we resort to playing it as much like melee as we can even before its come to the US. Stage bans already? holy ****.

Paden260

Smash Cadet
We buy a game to enjoy it and have fun, but the tourney tards always have to come and ruin it. >.>

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yes, some people who you will never meet preferring not to play on certain stages in a video game you have not played definitely ruins that video game for you...

Paden260

Smash Cadet
Why did you ban Mario Circuit? There's a friggin map in the background. >.>

@Thinkawhatever: I have no clue to what that sentence meant.

English, please.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Mario circuit is not being considered for Banned for the cars, but the walk-off edges; they are a problem with DeDeDe's chainthrow.

As for not understanding my last post, I don't understand how it could possibly be misunderstood. It was in plain, readable English, unlike a certain reply.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
[owns the game]

looks pretty good, similar to the Chapman 3/4 tournaments in Orange's list.
my only reserve is green hill as a CP, should be banned IMO

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Yeah, Green Hill Zone is a ban that a lot of people are requesting. It doesn't technically warrant any ban because DDD isn't capable of chaingrabbing the whole way across the stage, but we'll see how it goes in the future.

I really have to laugh at the casual Smashers in this thread complaining that we're ruining it for them... Do they not realize that they can play how ever they want?

~Dac

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Green Hill Zone is a ban that a lot of people are requesting. It doesn't technically warrant any ban because DDD isn't capable of chaingrabbing the whole way across the stage, but we'll see how it goes in the future.

I really have to laugh at the casual Smashers in this thread complaining that we're ruining it for them... Do they not realize that they can play how ever they want?

~Dac
I would have to agree with this. I would say that i am a casual smasher, I would love to be a competitive smashers and with online tourneys it will help but alright a theres a list of stages we can't play in tuorney whos stopping you from playing them in your house when your not competeing if you think green hill zone should be banned don't play it if you think the bridge should be legal then play it, the list is never going to be the way everyone wants it, so people just need to get used to it.

Kazydai

Smash Apprentice
Personally I hate other people telling me what stages I can and can't play on...and I'm a competitive smasher. I still say that this list uses Melee standards. I mean come on, we don't even have the game out here yet, and you're trying to come up with a ban list? Please...

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Dude, play on whatever you want. But just know that there are tons of competitive players who have had the game for over a month now, and we know what stages are best to play on in a tournament environment.

~Dac

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
The only way for competitive smash to EXIST is with an even set of tournament rules that we can agree on. "No but I like Flat Zone from Melee, it should be a neutral!" The general consensus is that Flat Zone is a piece of ****, so it's banned. The majority of serious smash players decides on the tournament rules. if you don't attend tournaments none of this applys to you, play HOWEVER you want, PLEASE

Darkslash

Smash Master
-Sigh-(melee noob :p) can any one tell me on how to figure out if a Stage is a counter Pick or Banned? I get neutral, just can't under stand the other 2 :dizzy:

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Basically, a banned stage wil never be played ever, ever ever. In melee, stages that are banned include Icicle mountain, Flat Zone, Big Blue etc.

A counterpick is a different kind of stage, in a tournament, the victor is decided by a set of 3 (or 5 if its the finals) If you lose a match, you can then counterpick the next map, that is, you choose the next map you play. It can be any of the 6 neutrals (we're still using melee as an example) or one of the many maps designated "counterpick stages" examples of counterpick stages are Brinstar, Green Greens, Mute City, etc etc.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
How in the world did the Bridge of Edin get banned? It takes a whole minute for that wart hog thing to cross the bridge. Even a blind sped in a wheel chair can see him coming!

W! T! F!?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I really don't se why luigi's mansion couldn't be a neutral besides the fact that its pillarsstop a lot of projectile games. I suppose it has a couple of ceiligs that can be teched off of, but is that really enouh of a reason not to be neutral?

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
How in the world did the Bridge of Edin get banned? It takes a whole minute for that wart hog thing to cross the bridge. Even a blind sped in a wheel chair can see him coming!

W! T! F!?
Dedede's chaingrab = instadeath on most walk-off stages.

Dac, you should put up explanations on the first page. At least short, simple ones for now.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
Plus characters are much more a part of the game than stages. Banning a character is much more extreme than banning a stage.

crazyjbob

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phire.3D
This list will change alot from all the glitches removed in the US version as DEDEDE's chain grab, and falco's laserlock.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Don't get grabbed be dedede during the brief time that the stages have walkoffs, or if you really can't manage that (everyone else can) and dedede takes you to siege/delphino just pick a character that can get out of the cg.
Someone call for the famous line.

"Don't get hit"/"Don't get grabbed"

*FACEPALM*

MudkipzLOL

Smash Rookie
Banning the majority of the stages? wow you guys sure know how to suck the fun out of a game that hasn't even been released yet

Renewman

Smash Rookie
I love playing competitive smash as much as any other person here on Smashboards but that list is complete bull****. Also it doesn't help that that Dac's first post had a "holier-than-thou" attitude to it.

DubsK866

Smash Rookie
What's this? Super Smash Brother Brawl?

NO ITEMS!

FAWKES ONLY!

Final Destination

wing zrow

Smash Lord
wait wait wait, am i right in saying that a majority of these stages are banned because of fox's reflector being able to zone people off the stage? If that's the case then just bann fox. I think most people would rather have the roster drop from 35 to 34 to be able to use most of the levels on a competitive level again. Same with king dedede, if a few characters get banned so the game environment can be more fun and diverse that's fine with me.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
wait wait wait, am i right in saying that a majority of these stages are banned because of fox's reflector being able to zone people off the stage? If that's the case then just bann fox. I think most people would rather have the roster drop from 35 to 34 to be able to use most of the levels on a competitive level again. Same with king dedede, if a few characters get banned so the game environment can be more fun and diverse that's fine with me.
i would MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have all the characters than all the stages. and i'm almost certain 90 percent of people would agree.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm also going to aver that Norfair is prime for a Counterpick stage. The big wall-o-lava is very, very easy to avoid for any character with any kind of jumping ability, or any amount of shield. If you're having trouble with Norfair, then you just suck, plain and simple.

Distant Planet seems like a questionable ban, as well. The one walk-off edge is hard to force your opponent onto for a Dedede chain grab, and is periodically slippery, making chain grabs impossible. The rain is also not worth banning, because, as I said, that part of the stage is fairly easy to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom