• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I agree. Pac Man is the smarter, more iconic, money printing, obvious choice. I just don't want him, lol. It's a shame that Lloyd of all people has to be compared to probably the most well known video game character in history and forever, which is saying something because of Colenels opinion on Mario.

We can only hope he is a hidden character :D not to be mentioned in the dojo. Though that's probably impossible.

And omg yes, Yuri Lowell. I watched the movie like 5 times and beat the game twice, soooo good.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I agree. Pac Man is the smarter, more iconic, money printing, obvious choice. I just don't want him, lol. It's a shame that Lloyd of all people has to be compared to probably the most well known video game character in history and forever, which is saying something because of Colenels opinion on Mario.

We can only hope he is a hidden character :D not to be mentioned in the dojo. Though that's probably impossible.

And omg yes, Yuri Lowell. I watched the movie like 5 times and beat the game twice, soooo good.

Huh, there was a ToV movie? I bet Carol was super annoying in that, too.

How would people feel about Yuri as an alt. costume of Lloyd? Sure, it wouldn't represent him accurately on account of him never using two swords, but it'd be some representation at least.

(yes, I am going to blindly ignore the fact that we'll probably not see any Tales representation at all and keep posting optimistically.)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Huh, there was a ToV movie? I bet Carol was super annoying in that, too.

How would people feel about Yuri as an alt. costume of Lloyd? Sure, it wouldn't represent him accurately on account of him never using two swords, but it'd be some representation at least.

(yes, I am going to blindly ignore the fact that we'll probably not see any Tales representation at all and keep posting optimistically.)
ToV-movie has no Karol except as a cameo (luckily for you) since it's mostly based on events before the actual game.

On Pac-Man, of course, but even if we don't want him, he's much more sensible choice. In fact I'd never truly accept Lloyd to be in SSB4 now unless Symphonia HD would get a Wii U-version.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Yeah, Tales of Vesperia had a movie called "Tales of Vesperia: First Strike" it was a prequel to the game with mostly character cameos but Yuri and Flynn being the main protagonist along with 2 new main characters Chastel and Hisca Iheap who make an appearance in the ToV PS3 version. You can check trailers on YouTube and the last time I checked they're still selling in stores. It's really good, remember when Mewtwo turned Ash to stone and Pikachu cried? I found a scene in this movie just as emotional.

Alright enough fanasming.

Whatevef happens, my support for Lloyd stands strong. He's just too good to me to pass up in a game like Smash.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
ToV-movie has no Karol except as a cameo (luckily for you) since it's mostly based on events before the actual game.

On Pac-Man, of course, but even if we don't want him, he's much more sensible choice. In fact I'd never truly accept Lloyd to be in SSB4 now unless Symphonia HD would get a Wii U-version.

Ooh, so it just features one of the most badass Tales characters and the most badass dog to ever be depicted? I might actually watch that, sweet.

I think the line of Namco character priority is probably something like
Pac-Man > Klonoa > Tales/Lloyd > Fighting game/Yoshimitsu > Dig Dug/Mr. Driller

There are actually a lot of Namco characters I'm interested... it's just unfortunate that Pac isn't one of them. Oh well! We'll see if even he gets in. Even if he does, I'm sure he'll be... fine... yep.

Has anyone ever seen a drawing of what Lloyd would look like when he's older? I feel like a grown-up Lloyd design could be cool. I feel like in ToS2 he didn't look any different at all, despite it being almost a decade after the first game.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Though I'm having trouble imagining how he would look super defined in HD since we still haven't seen Lloyd out of a doll version of himself even in HD and his model in DotnW isn't helping me imagine either.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
There is no way Klonoa is above a Tales series rep or Yoshimitsu.

Looking through his history, I guess I agree with you. I was under the impression that he was basically Namco's modern representative since I've seen a lot of cameos and references to him, but his games haven't been nearly as many, worldwide, or as popular as I thought. Fine with me... I didn't really enjoy the game of his that I played.

Right now I'm trying to imagine a badass grown-up Lloyd. I think all of the ToS characters would be a little cooler if they were a decade or two older... now that I'm thinking about it, I wish ToS2 took place much later than it did (apparently it's only 2 years after the first game). Would've been interesting to have an actual time gap and see what the main characters' legacies have become.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
wait theres a support list now? Put me on there! I would love for lloyds appearance! (of course with a zelos costume)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Though I'm having trouble imagining how he would look super defined in HD since we still haven't seen Lloyd out of a doll version of himself even in HD and his model in DotnW isn't helping me imagine either.
He's in HD for the PS3 HD Remake of the Symphonia series: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. I think they would take after that version of the character.

Big advocate for his inclusion over Pac-Man. His moveset in the game is practical made for Smash. And he does have a unique tie to Nintendo. Most likely Namco character next to Pac-Man. Still not very likely at all, but edges over the others.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'm aware of the PS3 remake but... we can see that all characters all look like they came from the same game design-wise because of the color scheme. This is a first, besides the anime, that we will see Lloyd with realistic eye-blinking, realistic mouth movement, finger moving, billowing clothes, a tip toe, a fast walk, an everything. Just like when Pit came into Brawl, I can't imagine how he'll look.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think he could keep his cel-shaded chibi head look.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I guess.. But then it would be weird for him to be cell shaded in the 3DS version... then still cell shaded in the Wii U version.

Imagine they used Lloyd instead of Mario when showing the cell shaded look and then transitioning to HD. That would be kind of funny, lol.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
For everyone getting pessimistic over the possibility of Pac-man getting in first, remember that,according to Chronobound, Pac-Man is a lot less supported or considered than the idea of a Tales or Tekken character in Japan. Sure, people don't agree on which, but Pac-Man's lack of popularity there, combined with an average popularity here, really makes him on equal ground with Lloyd.
Source:
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The Tales and Tekken fans are killing each other while the Pac-Man supporters are chillin in the side lines eating popcorn while watching the blood bath.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
After reading more and more.. I'm starting to belive Lloyd has a better chance than I previously thought.

From one of the very first sources we found, http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/0...ve-tales-characters-to-be-in-next-smash-bros/ this site claims that the devs would love a Tales character in the game.

Next, the developers are who? The developers for Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Tales.

With all this, it seems that Lloyd might have even more priority, though that's a stretch. We all know Pac Man is the most known character in the world, what's the point in advertising him more? Seems like Namco would make more money advertising a character that isn't already massively known by a billion people!

Yes, Pac Man is getting a new game.. But Symphonia is getting an HD remake. Both of them. Even though it's on the PS3, that's saying something. Not to mention the reason is because of Symphonia's 10th anniversary.

Lloyd Irving for SM4SH!

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
I would much rather Lloyd be in over Pac-Man, I just feel like he'd fit better! he isn't my favorite Tales of Character, but I can easily admit he is the best rep for the series on the Nintendo spectrum.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Even though I'd adore Pac-Man in SSB4, Lloyd just seems... better. Dual swords, fire and ice, plus another cool character that would fit in a fight between Link, Marth and Pit? Count me in as a supporter. I should probably add Tales of Symphonia to my get-these-GameCube-games-for-my-Wii-but-can't-find-them-anywhere alongside Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin and Wind Waker.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Even though I'd adore Pac-Man in SSB4, Lloyd just seems... better. Dual swords, fire and ice, plus another cool character that would fit in a fight between Link, Marth and Pit? Count me in as a supporter. I should probably add Tales of Symphonia to my get-these-GameCube-games-for-my-Wii-but-can't-find-them-anywhere alongside Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin and Wind Waker.

Well, you could order online from Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tales+of+symphonia

It's merely $130 for a new copy!

... or $30 for a used one. :)

It really is a fun game, but more to the point it's a fun series. If you can't find ToS, I'd suggest picking up Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Vesperia... any Tales game, really (except Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World since it's pretty bad and it makes very little sense without playing the first game).

I admit my optimism for Lloyd is kind of waning, but I still definitely think he'd fit in fantastically in the Smash world. He'd be pretttty great.

Hong

The Strongest
It is no exaggeration to say Tales of Symphonia was a Gamecube staple, up there with the best games on the system. Even if you take its merit to a grand scale, it was the most successful entry in the series outside of Japan, and still kicking today with an HD remake. Everyone has their own favourites from the cast, but there is no denying that Lloyd is the most sound and iconic representative, and he is certainly no stranger to take the fight to another world. Not going to hold my breath for Lloyd, but I would be absolutely delighted if he somehow shows up.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, Lloyd's probably the most likely Tales rep. A Tales rep getting would be great if unlikely.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Alright, Ima make a moveset list for my boy Lloyd Irving. Instead of posting time frames in reference to the moves, I'll just post this one video and post the time you should browse.

OKAY HERE WE GOOOO.

Overall thoughts and notes. Lloyd is a fast moving character, mobility, momentum, attack speed. He is also a combo machine. At least in his game. He shows idiocy but is brave and sometimes reckless or over confident. This should influence his moves.

SPECIAL TRAITS! For some of Lloyds attacks, if you press B during a specific frame in an attack, he will perform an extra move within the attack.

Here's the video.

Jab1, 2, 3
Sword Rain.

Time Frame 2:04

Lloyd rapidly thrust his sword. This is a continuous combo and will end once you let go of the A button. If you press the B button the moment you let go of A you will perform an ending thrust that will push the enemy away(set knockback).

Ftilt
Sonic Thrust

Time Frame 0:54 Hurricane Thrust Time Frame 1:04

Lloyd thrust his sword forward with unmatched force, sending opponents away. If you press B during the first few frames of this attack, Lloyd will instead perform Hurricane Thrust and launch the foe upwards instead.

Dtilt
Simple downward slice.

Not many of Lloyds moves would translate to a down attack unless coming from the air. Simple slice down. Pops enemies up and if done near an edge and connects with an opponent, they will be meteor smashed.

Utilt
Uppercut Slice.

Lloyds basic combo move. Lloyd slices his sword upwards. Enemies get sent in a 90 degree angle.

FSmash
Beast

Time Frame 3:06 Raging Beast Time Frame 3:13

2 part attack. Lloyd shoulder bashes his opponent linking into the main move Beast which is created with battle energy. If you press A + B together when performing this attack, Lloyd will perform Raging Beast. This move will suck enemies within range into the attack instead of Lloyd pushing himself into the enemy.

DSmash
Demonic Circle

Time Frame 0:48 Fierce Demon Fang Time Frame 0:34

Lloyd Smashes his sword down and creates a circle of Demonic energy. Horizontal killer. The move last long and running into it at any time will yield the same knock back. Strong. Lloyd is however vulnerable on his head. If you press B before he creates the circle, he will instead perform Fierce Demon Fang. This will instead create a shockwave in front of Lloyd that will deal massive damage if all hits connect.

UpSmash
Victory Light Spear

Time Frame for above video 1:43 Light Spear Cannon Time Frame 1:48

Borrowing power from his Father. Lloyd performs Victory Light Spear. This attack brings Lloyd up, sucking opponents in and the ending slash sends opponents sideways. If Lloyd presses B during the middle of Light Spears spins, Lloyd will instead perform Light Spear Cannon. This attack will bring the opponent back down and be pierced by a sword exuding energy. Sends opponents flying in an angle. Very strong ending knockback.

Dash Attack
Cross thrust(Single)

Back to original video. Time Frame 4:46

Lloyd slides through the field with sword in front. Multi hit attack with low knockback. Slides past shields with ease but has horrible ending lag.

Nair
Tempest

Time Frame 2:30 Omega Tempest Time Frame 2:43

Lloyd will spin rapidly in the air. However he will only spin and not rise in the air. Similar to Kirby's Nair. If you press B before the move ends you will perform Omega Tempest which will give you extra height. Can be used as a recovery and causes you to fall in the helpless state after execution.

UAir
Simple kick, kick, sword slash, sword slash.

Like before, Lloyd doesn't have many downward attacks, he also doesn't have much upward facing attacks. This is a multi hit attack with a strong ending hitbox.

DAir
Downward Sword Rain

Lloyd performs his version of the drill kick. Multiple sword thrust downwards. If you press B at the end he'll end with a downward Sonic Thrust. Meteor effect.

FAir
Sword Spike

Lloyd Raises his swords above his head, and smashes them in front of him. The momentum forces him to flip. Think about Donkey Kongs fair but with Lloyds Swords.

BAir
Backwards Thrust

Lloyd turns, does a quick slash and turns again performing an angles Sonic Thrust.

SPECIALS

B Special
Demon Fang

Time Frame 0:19 Double Demon Fang Time Frame 0:25

Lloyd throws a shockwave that follows the ground until it hits an edge or wall. Medium knock back. Cannot kill unless your enemy is above 300% or near an edge. If done in the air, Demon fang will slowly fall down at a 90 degree angle. If you press B again after throwing out one during lag frames, you will throw another Demon Fang quicker than if you threw one and threw one again after ending lag. The second fang cannot be thrown in the air.

Side Special
Lightning Thrust

Time Frame 1:00

Lloyd thrust his sword forward and lightning falls in front of him. The Lightning has a 50/50 chance to paralyze the enemy(Think ZSS). If done in the air, Lloyd will instead slash his sword downward with lightning landing where he hit rather than where his sword connects.

Down Special
Rising Falcon

Time Frame 3:35 Rising Phoenix Time Frame 3:42

Lloyd will jump off the ground and dive downwards into the enemy. Single hit move with high knock back to accommodate it's considerably high start up frames. Lloyd slides a considerable distance when landing. If done in the air Lloyd will perform it instantly but will convert to multi hit move with weak hitboxes all around. If you press B before the moves first active hitbox is executed, you will perform Rising Phoenix. This move has a fire hitbox which adds just a little move knock back but randomly changes around from normal Rising Falcon.

Up Special
Tiger Blade

Time Frame 1:23 Tiger Rage Time Frame 1:34

Lloyd rises up with the sword and then goes back down. During the apex of this attack he can grab the ledge. 2 part attack that throws the enemy up and then slams them down. This move cannot kill no matter what. If you press B at the apex Lloyd will instead perform Tiger Rage. This move is generally the same exact attack but Lloyd will perform 2 spinning slashes before executing the final hit. You also lose the ability to grab the ledge if you perform this attack.

Grabs

Grab
Lloyd will sheathe one blade and grab with his free hand.

Pummel
Lloyd rotates between attacking you with the hilt of his blade and kneeing you.

Forward Throw
Lloyd throws you up and golf swings your ass with his sword.

Back Throw
Lloyd thrust his sword into you and kicks you out of it.

Up Throw
Lloyd performs Stampede Strike a reference to Asbel Lhant from Tales of Graces(Wii in Japan). Kill move.

You can see it here:

Down Throw
Lloyd throws you down and precedes to body slam you.

Final Smash!
Lloyd performs Divine Judgement!

Taunts!

Taunt1

Taunt2

Reference to Tales of the Abyss, Lloyd, Colette, and Genis enact these lines instead of Luke, Guy, and Jade. Abyss was remade on the 3DS and this will continue the trend of this particular line, which was rehashed in Vesperia with

Taunt3
Recheck the Final Smash video. Lloyd will perform that as a taunt.

LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE.

I mean... yeah here's my list. Critique it if you wish ^^

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't know if I've mentioned this, but if Lloyd was somehow to get in the game, then Scott Menville as his voice actor is practically non-negotiable.

ImaClubYou: I love the references to other Tales games.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
One thing I'd really like to see is that, in the original ToS, Lloyd rarely seems to pay much attention to his swords when he's not actively hitting with them, giving him some rather random seeming hitboxes and fitting in well with his oftentimes almost dorky personality. It would also add a lot of advanced strategies to the character. Stuff like how his left sword hits behind him seemingly randomly as he slashes with his right during a basic attack.

Also, add me to support. The only character I might play over Lloyd would be Lloyd-Kirby.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to bump a thread a thread with no activity in two months, but I just wanted to add my name to the list of supporters. Even though I agree with Young Horsetail's recent post regarding Lloyd's inclusion.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Well, now that Sonic got in next to Mario and Megaman I'm not to hopeful as I once was. It's really sad for me, tbh. I always wanted him in a Smash game. It's just that Mario, Megaman, Sonic, and Pac Man makes TOO much sense.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that Sonic got in next to Mario and Megaman I'm not to hopeful as I once was. It's really sad for me, tbh. I always wanted him in a Smash game. It's just that Mario, Megaman, Sonic, and Pac Man makes TOO much sense.
*sigh Yeah. Hopefully there will be mods though. Not the same but eh..

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
Since the inclusion of Mega Man, I thought that another 3rd party character was out of the question. But then Sonic was announced.

Then I remembered back to when Namco employees were talking about how they think a Tales character would be the only 3rd party character (or something similar).

It's still not out of the question! I'm in full support of Lloyd to be a Namco representative. He's the first character I think of when I think of the Tales series anyways. I agree with the above post as well. No Pac-Man, please Sakurai.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
So with Tales of Symphonia Chronicles coming out very early next year...maybe he will be announced around that time :)

I love Pac Man, I would love to pit him against Mario, Sonic, Megaman all with 99 lives as lvl9 cpus and watch them battle, but I'd rather have Lloyd.

Who am I kidding, I want REGAL BRYANT...but he's not the main character...but he'd be so much fun in Smash Bros. :c

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Hey, the Lloyd thread's back! Good to see you guys again :p.
He's a great character from an amazing game and I'd love to see him make the cut but that's not all his inclusion would mean to me. It's pretty much guaranteed that we will only see one Namco rep so, if Lloyd gets in, Pac Man doesn't and, while I have nothing against pacman as a game or pacman as a character, pacman with limbs is a hideous abomination that should never have existed.

So I'm supporting this thread for sure but I'm not entirely certain why. Am I supporting Lloyd or am I supporting Not Pacman?

Top Bottom