• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

JeremySama

Smash Rookie
As a long time tales fan, the amount of glee I would have seeing Lloyd in SSB4 would be infinite. Heck any tales character would be fantastic, but Lloyd would be the only reasonable choice, aside from an Abyss character due to the recent remake on the 3ds or possibly someone from Phantasia, also remade on a Nintendo Console. I think Lloyd would just work out better both in game and with the fan base. It's a shame he has to compete with Pac Man, if there even is going to be a NamcoBandai character.

Here's to hoping :'D

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
I think he'd fit perfectly... I support him! Where do I sign up!? :yeahboi:

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
With customizable movesets becoming a thing I feel as though Lloyd's potential, not chances, skyrocketed. In Tales of Symphonia some of Lloyd's artes are restricted to Strike-type and Technical-type artes, and typically one cannot access both at the same time. If we took a sample moveset:

B: Demon Fang
B^: Tempest
Bv: Tiger Blade
B>: Beast

FSmash: Sonic Thrust
Neutral A: Sword Rain (After the A-A-A jab string)
Down Aerial: Rising Falcon

And implemented custom movesets:

B: Fierce Demon Fang/ Grave Blade/ Demonic Circle
B^: Omega/ Psi/ Blazing Tempest
Bv: Twin Tiger Blade/ Tiger Rage/ Lightning Tiger
B>: Hunting/ Raging Beast

FSmash: Super Sonic/Hurricane Thrust/ Lightning Thrust
Neutral A: Sword Rain Beta/ Alpha (After A-A-A jab string)
Down Aerial: Rising Phoenix

We could see a huge variety of artes used in Tales of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World implemented. And I think a good drawback to the combo-cancel mechanic is that if you replace an attack with an even stronger one, for example replacing Beast with Hunting Beast, then you would not be able to perform Tempest-Beast (His level 3 arte).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@ kikaru kikaru

This was something I had also thought as of recent.
However, I don't believe it'll pertain on Lloyd's chances skyrocketing per say -At the moment though I can see him translating in SSB4 pretty well.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
With customizable movesets becoming a thing I feel as though Lloyd's potential, not chances, skyrocketed. In Tales of Symphonia some of Lloyd's artes are restricted to Strike-type and Technical-type artes, and typically one cannot access both at the same time. If we took a sample moveset:

B: Demon Fang
B^: Tempest
Bv: Tiger Blade
B>: Beast

FSmash: Sonic Thrust
Neutral A: Sword Rain (After the A-A-A jab string)
Down Aerial: Rising Falcon

And implemented custom movesets:

B: Fierce Demon Fang/ Grave Blade/ Demonic Circle
B^: Omega/ Psi/ Blazing Tempest
Bv: Twin Tiger Blade/ Tiger Rage/ Lightning Tiger
B>: Hunting/ Raging Beast

FSmash: Super Sonic/Hurricane Thrust/ Lightning Thrust
Neutral A: Sword Rain Beta/ Alpha (After A-A-A jab string)
Down Aerial: Rising Phoenix

We could see a huge variety of artes used in Tales of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World implemented. And I think a good drawback to the combo-cancel mechanic is that if you replace an attack with an even stronger one, for example replacing Beast with Hunting Beast, then you would not be able to perform Tempest-Beast (His level 3 arte).
I made a thread quite some time ago that I long abandoned because of the depressing state I was put in from the DDoS attack.

It's pretty much on par with your ideas.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-symphonia-phantasia-up.339999/#post-15818915

I wouldn't mind bringing it back damn I gotta brush history again.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
IIRC, your thread was originally an offshoot of this one. So many people were talking about other characters that another thread was needed to keep the Lloyd one on topic and you just happened to be the guy to do it.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
IIRC, your thread was originally an offshoot of this one. So many people were talking about other characters that another thread was needed to keep the Lloyd one on topic and you just happened to be the guy to do it.
I'll probably get on it around this week. Still debating the relevance of discussing tooooo many characters at one time.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Dwarven vows as taunt? y/n

Its corny but it feels like it would be perfect.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
My support for Lloyd just skyrocketed since I got my collectors edition in the mail today without even owning a PS3. I also re-picked up Graces and currently playing it at my buddies house.

I'm saving up for the Xillia edition and am anticipating Zestrika and Tales of Hearts R(announced for western release just yesterday).

I wish I had my laptop to upload my collection. I'll get to that later :]

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I think I know what Lloyd's gimmick could be. He could have a meter like Little Mac, but instead it'd be the T-type and S-Type meter. Doing certain moves would push it towards S or T, and depending on which side it's on, his special moves will change. Example, spamming moves to push it towards S-Type or whatever will change his Demon Fang to Fierce Demon fang, and pushing the meter to the other side will give you double demon fang.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Can we change that to only effect his charged specials? For example:

Neutral B: Demon Fang
Charged B (T): Demonic Chaos (Soul Calibur Ver.)
Charged B (S): Fierce Demon Fang
Charged B (Mid): Demon Fang Fury (a powerful reward for maintaining type balance)

Last edited:

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
If Lloyd were to get into the game, Bandai Namco seriously needs to consider at least making Tales games for Nintendo consoles again, not just some port.

I don't think Snake can be referenced as a counter argument because he's much more well-known and, supposedly, Sakurai is good friends with Snake's creator.

At this point, the Tales of series is not popular enough or historically important enough to be represented in Smash.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Hey! I'm pretty new here, but I'm for Lloyd in sm4sh! You can add me to the supporter list! I think he has a good chance, and if he doesn't make it in as a character, I'm hoping that Lloyd will be recognized as a trophy at least :) I'm still a bit upset with Pac-man... But I still believe Lloyd can make it in the sm4sh roster!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm very upset with Pac-Man and would be even if I didn't think he ruined the chances of another Namco character.
Still, what's done is done and I'll probably still get the game, though it's not looking likely for me to buy it on release.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I would have loved Lloyd in here, main character of my favorite game but oh well, I'm cool with Pac Man :)

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I'm still gonna buy on release because it's smash XD I'll just use Pac Man as a training dummy :p

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Mine will be a Sakurai Mii.

He will pay for what he's done to Ganondorf all these years, finally.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Ehh, I used to have a petty hate for Pac Man, but he's in and we can't do much about it... *shrug* I still think Lloyd would've been a great addition to the roster. He would've been the only dual blade character with his unique moves from Symphonia, but oh well :ohwell:

We can hope for Smash 5! Our spiky haired swordsman will be recognized! :chuckle:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So with Ryu becoming a (potential) thing, I asked this thread to be re-opened for us Lloyd-fans out there.

So guys, do you think Lloyd has a nice chance to be chosen as the potential 2nd Namco-rep? Who could be possible rivals?

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I was going to open up a second Lloyd thread after seeing this one was closed! I wanted to make a new thread so others could see his name and vote for him as DLC. I'm glad that you re-opened this thread though, it had all the nice pictures and whatnot that would've taken me forever to put on a new thread haha! :chuckle:

In all honesty, I believe that Lloyd's chances are upped a small amount considering the Smash Ballot. However, Lloyd is still a niche character. He's gonna need a lot of support and votes from Tales fans to be considered for DLC. I actually haven't put in a single vote yet, as I'm working on writing my ballot for Lloyd. I'm also working on creating a moveset and other things he would need in Smash.

As for rivals, I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. I only know of Klonoa (at the moment) if you're talking Namco rivals, and I haven't played any Klonoa games.

Last edited:

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I was thinking of color palettes and alt costumes for Lloyd yesterday. He could have his allies as color swaps- Colette, Genis, Raine, Sheena, Kratos, Zelos, Presea and Regal; similar to Shulk's colors. Or maybe Lloyd could have his in-game costumes like the pirate one as an option. Another alternative would be having costumes of other main Tales protags such as Cress or Luke. Heck, maybe Mithos could be used as a palette or an alt costume, but that may be kind of a stretch.

What would you guys like to see? All I want is a Colette one :)

(Dang, I wish I had an art program to make nice color palettes for Lloyd!)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was thinking of color palettes and alt costumes for Lloyd yesterday. He could have his allies as color swaps- Colette, Genis, Raine, Sheena, Kratos, Zelos, Presea and Regal; similar to Shulk's colors. Or maybe Lloyd could have his in-game costumes like the pirate one as an option. Another alternative would be having costumes of other main Tales protags such as Cress or Luke. Heck, maybe Mithos could be used as a palette or an alt costume, but that may be kind of a stretch.

What would you guys like to see? All I want is a Colette one :)

(Dang, I wish I had an art program to make nice color palettes for Lloyd!)
I'm sure you could request alt colors from someone around here.

Also we need obligatory Yuri Lowell-alternative costume for Lloyd. :p

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I'm sure you could request alt colors from someone around here.

Also we need obligatory Yuri Lowell-alternative costume for Lloyd. :p
Yuri would be hella awesome! :p

I really want a noble alt costume for Lloyd, he just looks so good in white! Lloyd looks nice with Guy's costume as well.

Oh, and I'd like to be put on the supporters list too!

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Since Lloyd has so many special moves from Symphonia that could translate over, what would you guys like to see him use in Smash? I know he's got S-type and T-type moves so that gives even more choices. I made Lloyd into a S-type in my first playthrough, so he was all about damage. My favorite moves were Hunting Beast, Sonic Sword Rain, Psi Tempest, and... darn, I can't remember the B move I used haha. It might've been Fierce Demon Fang.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
The first fee pages of this thread have movesets everywhere
D'oh. :facepalm:
Remember kids, read the WHOLE thread!

I'm just too excited that Lloyd has another shot at becoming a fighter, I'm just trying to keep this thread up and active haha

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I just want ANY sort of TALES of main hero to be in Smash. I mean TALES Of- is a huge awesome namco game series full of characters that would be excellent in smash.
The real personal question for me is...
Would I want Lloyd, Kratos, Luke fon Fabre, or Cless Alvein?

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I just want ANY sort of TALES of main hero to be in Smash. I mean TALES Of- is a huge awesome namco game series full of characters that would be excellent in smash.
The real personal question for me is...
Would I want Lloyd, Kratos, Luke fon Fabre, or Cless Alvein?
Hey there, and welcome to Smashboards! It's always nice to find another Tales fan, and its even better when they support Tales reps in Smash :)

I think Colette would be an interesting fighter if she joined Smash. Although she's not the main protagonist in Symphonia, she has her chakrams, angelic skills, and the deadly Para Ball!

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'd do anything to see my boy Lloyd in Smash with alternate costumes of other main characters in tales.

A Luke Fon Fabre color, Yuri Lowell color, Asbel color, Milla Maxwell color, Kratos color, Emil Castagnier color, Colette color, and his fancy boy reskin.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I'd do anything to see my boy Lloyd in Smash with alternate costumes of other main characters in tales.

A Luke Fon Fabre color, Yuri Lowell color, Asbel color, Milla Maxwell color, Kratos color, Emil Castagnier color, Colette color, and his fancy boy reskin.
I would main the Colette one forever! And Luke, Yuri, and Kratos are great color ideas!

Oh, what about taunts and win/victory phrases?

In no real order, Lloyd could use- "Blame your fate!" "Just as I expected!" "Not a chance!" "Come on, bring it!" "This is gonna be a piece of cake!" "Let's go all out!" "It's pancake time!" "Dwarven Vow number 7, goodness/justice and love will always win!" "Did everyone see me?"

I know there are other sayings, but those are just some that I remember and like.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
For his taunts he can say "just as I expected" while throwing his swords and CATCHING IT WITH HIS SHEATHES WHATTABADASS!

He can say "you *******!" Cuz lol
He said that a million times in the game.

Then He has one that goes "that was way too easy" which he rarely says but thrust his swords repeatedly.

For victory quotes it would be cool if he had cameo appearances of 3 other tales characters(from any series) appear and say different things.

1st could be Colette, Genis, and Raine saying the dwarves vow with Lloyd saying "aww I hate that one."

The other could be him saying "you have value simply by being alive" with the tethe' alla group standing behind them.

The last one could be a funny one with Jade, Yuri, Zelos, Ratatosk, Malek, and Alvin criticizing Lloyd's sword play brutally.

Other things like shield break animation would be when Lloyd kneels down while poisoned or low in health. He kneels with one leg and and stabs one sword into the ground.

Top Bottom