• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Town Hall Meeting - Villager Matchup Discussion

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Technically speaking, n-air brats all of Warios moves as it's frame 3 and Wario fastest attacks are frame 4,but there's also spacing and timing involved so...
Hm! Thats interesting data... But yeah, Id tend to keep my space, while definitely being aggressive, get the bike, and either wall him out or bully him. I really think once ya jack his bike youre at a significant advantage. Sure he can fight back with some up close and personal stuff, but if ya keep some space, cover your approaches with slingshots and gyroids, youre pretty good to go.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
So does anyone know what to do when you are fighting an opponent who can read your playstyle in a matter of seconds?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
So does anyone know what to do when you are fighting an opponent who can read your playstyle in a matter of seconds?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I am way too predictable. (My current biggest problem) And I honestly just don't know how to become this unpredictable sorcery.
If all else fails nair. n-air comes out on frame 3 lingers until frame 21 and deals 9 damage

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I am way too predictable. (My current biggest problem) And I honestly just don't know how to become this unpredictable sorcery.
You know, try and make your opponent think youre ganna do somethin ya wont. Run up and shield at a safe distance, they might throw out an attack you can punish. Maybe after an attack an airbone opponent could get scared if you jumped up and simply did nothing. They may air dodge, you can wait, and punish. This isn't Villager exclusive of course, but it seems like you need help with some basics or am I being too assuming? If it is specific, maybe plant a sapling - they may expect you to continue, just shield their attack and grab?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
You know, try and make your opponent think youre ganna do somethin ya wont. Run up and shield at a safe distance, they might throw out an attack you can punish. Maybe after an attack an airbone opponent could get scared if you jumped up and simply did nothing. They may air dodge, you can wait, and punish. This isn't Villager exclusive of course, but it seems like you need help with some basics or am I being too assuming? If it is specific, maybe plant a sapling - they may expect you to continue, just shield their attack and grab?
I'm just plain bad at being predictable honestly.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I'm just plain bad at being predictable honestly.
Well practice makes perfect I guess! But can't blame ya, I get really discouraged easily too. So yknow, dont force yourself, but when ya wanna play smash bros... just think "Hm, my opponent probably wants to run up and grab me. Ill stand here and shield and then Ill short hop when the time is right and hit em with turnips when they get here" stuff like that.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Most players seem to have that problem sometimes. All the stuff that gets talked about here is just textbook. When it comes to the real thing, sometimes the best option in any given situation is the worst option when your opponent gets a hard read and fsmashes you for it. Mixups are essential. Lloids, slingshots, and nairs are great but not if you use them in a pattern.

Save your replays (not the ones where you win easily, the ones where your opponent seems to be using shulks "vision" IRL), they will tell you more than anyone else will be able to. Most of all, scrutinise your rolling, airial approaches, shielding, and ledge game the most. They are collectively the number 1 easiest mistakes to make.

Personally, i'm too aggressive and, as a result, tend to approach at bad times while not shielding nearly as much as I should. That's my bad habit, but you'll have a hard time finding your own if you don't save replays.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Villager vs Sheik? :4villager::4sheik:
Would anyone like to cover the Villager vs Sheik matchup with me? I fought one a few days ago and had a pretty difficult time. The seemed to keep running away and shooting needles at me, charged when they could, but usually just mashing b, one needle at a time while I was trying to set up gyroids or trees. Gyroid acted as a shield when summoned, but I guess my timing was off, cause I still got hit when trying to launch him.
It was really tough to pin Sheik down, we were on Battlefield, I was trying to it to my advantage with bowling balls, but I started to feel disadvantaged, she always had somewhere to hide. Also Sheik has that neat thing on battlefield where she can sweet spot up smash almost automatically anyone on the left or right platform (where I'd love to grow trees or throw bowling balls).
Also, when recovering, I usually launch a gyroid to cover me, but in this matchup I think I may have got hit and learned to anticipate bouncing fishes. So instead I think I tried launching a gyroid from pretty far aiming for the ledge to avoid stage spikes. Sheik doesn't really have a spike, unless her down-air has good aim, but I didn't worry about it too much.
In the end, I believe my first death was an up-air, and a sweetspot upsmash when I was on the left platform.
I'm just not sure what I couldve done better... focus on a faster recovery instead of a covered one? Forget tree entirely? I tried using watering can instead, as her warp at least puts her in a helpless state, but combined with bouncing fish, and her warp removing her hurtbox for a moment while also getting her to the ledge, it really didn't help much.
What do you think I shouldve done? Or is this like a 35:65 matchup? Is there a stage that may give Villager the advantage? Maybe Duck Hunt?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Would anyone like to cover the Villager vs Sheik matchup with me? I fought one a few days ago and had a pretty difficult time. The seemed to keep running away and shooting needles at me, charged when they could, but usually just mashing b, one needle at a time while I was trying to set up gyroids or trees. Gyroid acted as a shield when summoned, but I guess my timing was off, cause I still got hit when trying to launch him.
It was really tough to pin Sheik down, we were on Battlefield, I was trying to it to my advantage with bowling balls, but I started to feel disadvantaged, she always had somewhere to hide. Also Sheik has that neat thing on battlefield where she can sweet spot up smash almost automatically anyone on the left or right platform (where I'd love to grow trees or throw bowling balls).
Also, when recovering, I usually launch a gyroid to cover me, but in this matchup I think I may have got hit and learned to anticipate bouncing fishes. So instead I think I tried launching a gyroid from pretty far aiming for the ledge to avoid stage spikes. Sheik doesn't really have a spike, unless her down-air has good aim, but I didn't worry about it too much.
In the end, I believe my first death was an up-air, and a sweetspot upsmash when I was on the left platform.
I'm just not sure what I couldve done better... focus on a faster recovery instead of a covered one? Forget tree entirely? I tried using watering can instead, as her warp at least puts her in a helpless state, but combined with bouncing fish, and her warp removing her hurtbox for a moment while also getting her to the ledge, it really didn't help much.
What do you think I shouldve done? Or is this like a 35:65 matchup? Is there a stage that may give Villager the advantage?
This is why more time and money should be put on the one chop technique. It will be so freakin useful against our biggest enemies.

Anyway. Every time I fight Sheik, I play defensively. It seems to work out okay.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This is why more time and money should be put on the one chop technique. It will be so freakin useful against our biggest enemies.

Anyway. Every time I fight Sheik, I play defensively. It seems to work out okay.
I'm practicing, haha, I even tried to pull it off a few times, but just got punished when planting the sapling and watering it. Then once the tree was grown, I tried, had it half chopped, and let that be a threat as I launch gyroid and slingshots, even bowling balls from atop a platform, very defensive. This Shiek just waited from afar and pressed b to throw or charge needles when they could.

I tried both defensive and aggressive, and neither seemed to do me any good. Sure, I beat pretty much any Sheik on For Glory, but this Sheik was good, I tried using my own against his and couldn't do much good. I really wanted to land one foward throw to bouncing fish but nah, they were slippery. Maybe I just suck, but I really tried thinking "What can I do? Short hop turnips?" tried, they just back off and throw a needle. "Nair?" I get naired or faired. "Dash attack?" they back away needles or grab. "Cover my approach with a gyroid?" I would run a little in front of it and get needled, or they would jump away as I tried to slingshot.

Needles, needles, needles... What am I ganna do, pocket em? One can come immediately after to even stop me from having it in my pocket! Pocket isn't very useful in this matchup at all. You could maybe stop a burst grendade, but that move isn't really used to often and your reward for pocketing it is a tiny ball that doesnt explode and maybe does...I can't remember the percentage, but the knockback certainly isn't impressive. Still good to know for certain situations. But maybe pocket's invincibility might be more useful? Maybe I should use that more? It may have helped me dodge up-air, up-smash, bouncing fish, back-air. I don't think it could outlast Sheik's forward smash though.

Last edited:

MJG

Smash Hero
I don't have an appropriate response (on the move and haven't been able to read the entire sheik convo) but I've played with Mr. R and other sheiks recently and I like to try and have lloid out to stop the needles. It is a difficult MU indeed and i'll be happy to go over the details later since I'm looking to get better at it myself.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Villager vs Sheik? :4villager::4sheik:
What do you think I shouldve done? Or is this like a 35:65 matchup? Is there a stage that may give Villager the advantage? Maybe Duck Hunt?
Dear Lord Shiek vs Villager almost makes me ashamed to be a Villager Main. Like you know how Sonic vs Villager is even until you have to KO him? Shiek vs Villager is in her favor until you have to kill her then it gets worse. If you were to name every single weakness Villager has then you know of a way Sheik can troll you.

MJG

Smash Hero
The issue that myself (and I'm sure the rest of you) come across is the fact that we not only have to be three steps ahead the entire time but Sheik is able to rack up serious damage off of one mistake or read while our "follow ups" are limited due to her the cool down time on most of her moves. In regards to defensive vs aggressive play, I try to stay at a range outside of mid-range so that I can retreat if need be. Only problem with this is that sheik can also simply bouncing fish around this range and tag you. Speaking of bouncing fish, I'm also sure that a most of us have been in the situation where you put lloid out and a bouncing fish is coming your way immediately. You could try to bait out bouncing fish but there's several problems with this since sheik simply needs to wait for you to send lloid out and then commit to bouncing fish. Unless they already decided in their mind that they were going to put bouncing fish out at that point in time, that's also not a reliable way to net a punish or kill...so that notion is thrown out the door. Without going into a long spiel, I think villager can see success in this MU if you read and anticipate sheik at every corner, which is just not going to happen.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh wow, ya fought Mr. R? Well there's a pretty good Sheik. But gyahh... glad to know I wasn't just being terrible, but sad that Villager does seem to have that disadvantage. I guess I'd prefer using my Greninja, but when locked into this matchup, gyroid to stop needles, think way ahead about what they want, aaand... how should we recover? Avoid launching a gyroid cause ya might get bouncing fished? I'm not sure a slingshot would stop her either if you see her bouncing towards you?
At least...Sheik has a little trouble killing and with our nice recovery and mid-weight we can sort of last long?
I hate to say it cause I hate playing lame, and hate when Ive been timed out myself, but is our goal to tack on damage, shield with gyroid, and try to time em out? It is very challenging to pin em down, but...

It's a tough matchup... What should we declare? 35:65?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
What about mindgame?

Screw rocket loid! Be unpredictable!!!
But the gyroid can cover you from needles... I'd do it farther from where Sheik can bouncing fish so you dont get punished, but um... Be unpredictable... I dunno, I guess they wouldnt predict aggression or grabs. Maybe when you can plant a tree, they might want to roll away and you can go for a grab? That might be a good way to catch them and kill, but again, pretty tough. Being unpredictable can be very important but it isn't always the answer. Just cause something is predictable doesn't mean the opponent doesn't have to deal with it. They know gyroids coming, but now the gatta shield, roll, or jump. You can bait them into dancing your dance, know what I mean?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
But the gyroid can cover you from needles... I'd do it farther from where Sheik can bouncing fish so you dont get punished, but um... Be unpredictable... I dunno, I guess they wouldnt predict aggression or grabs. Maybe when you can plant a tree, they might want to roll away and you can go for a grab? That might be a good way to catch them and kill, but again, pretty tough. Being unpredictable can be very important but it isn't always the answer. Just cause something is predictable doesn't mean the opponent doesn't have to deal with it. They know gyroids coming, but now the gatta shield, roll, or jump. You can bait them into dancing your dance, know what I mean?
If only I knew how to be unpredictable...

MJG

Smash Hero
Oh wow, ya fought Mr. R? Well there's a pretty good Sheik. But gyahh... glad to know I wasn't just being terrible, but sad that Villager does seem to have that disadvantage. I guess I'd prefer using my Greninja, but when locked into this matchup, gyroid to stop needles, think way ahead about what they want, aaand... how should we recover? Avoid launching a gyroid cause ya might get bouncing fished? I'm not sure a slingshot would stop her either if you see her bouncing towards you?
At least...Sheik has a little trouble killing and with our nice recovery and mid-weight we can sort of last long?
I hate to say it cause I hate playing lame, and hate when Ive been timed out myself, but is our goal to tack on damage, shield with gyroid, and try to time em out? It is very challenging to pin em down, but...

If you are going to recover low, Sheik will simply bair you if your away from the stage or fair you if you have to recover near the stage and if that happens, you need to be prepared to tech. Lloid works well but we just have to be aware of the bouncing fish range still. Just make sure your DI hasn't tanked because I definitely have been caught off guard when trying to move back at the last thing and my DI was absolutely horrid. I try to recover high normally but you we need to mix it up constantly. With that being said...

If only I knew how to be unpredictable...
At certain points, I've prepared to counter an attack on my shield with Up Smash OoS. I have my R set to jump since I have tap jump off and I've been able to connect another Up Smash right after around 20-40 percent normally. The Sheik player has to jump out or they'll continue to eat damage for trying to put out an aerial. I like Up Smash OoS in certain scenarios since it's a way of letting your opponent know that you can't just attack their shield freely and it can possibly net you a kill.

Last edited:

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
I've found using OoS Nair can help a bit. As for Needles... uhhh, Gyroids covering them usually can help, I don't bother trying to pocket them. Sheik's tough no matter how you tackle the matchup, maybe try some ftilts here and there if she just blindly rushes in. I'll do some research on Sheik and edit my post as I go.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Like in the Sonic matchup I recommended using your melee moves as he's forced to go in with your support of gyroids and slingshots when he isn't waiting for those. But with Sheik, she can pretty much force you to be the one that needs to go in with her needles. Those darn tiny fast insignificant projectiles. No use pocketing em, but they just keep coming, interrupting plenty of set-ups and approaches. I'm trying to grow a tree here! If Sheik didn't have needles...this matchup could be about even I think.
But alright, we all agree gyroid can shield you from needles a bit.
I sadly think the best strategy may be to throw gyroids and slingshots until times up, really hard to pin her down.
But at least she's really light. If you could surprise her with a bowling ball from a platform or maybe have some great reads... Even play really defensive until the get really aggressive maybe you can grab out of shield and back throw them. And hey, 3 turnips has the highest chance for up-airs, and Sheiks do like coming in from the air, we can even maybe force her to with gyroid, try juggling with turnips!

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Is tree camping the least bit viable? I don't play many Shieks but against Link I like to throw a lloid out immediately followed by a tree growth. Its completely safe and keeps them from being able to camp me out. I know shiek is exactly nothing like link, but what would shiek be able to do to out camp us at that point? We could pocket one of her needles and throw it back with a lloid in front for cover if she tries needling the tree to death(it might be OK to actually let her do this because a killed tree can be replaced faster than one that dies on it's own), and I think the grenades aren't a great option for her either. Seriously though guys, I haven't tried it and it still doesn't help against her devastating rushdown abilities but can this help break the needle camping?

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Is tree camping the least bit viable? I don't play many Shieks but against Link I like to throw a lloid out immediately followed by a tree growth. Its completely safe and keeps them from being able to camp me out. I know shiek is exactly nothing like link, but what would shiek be able to do to out camp us at that point? We could pocket one of her needles and throw it back with a lloid in front for cover if she tries needling the tree to death(it might be OK to actually let her do this because a killed tree can be replaced faster than one that dies on it's own), and I think the grenades aren't a great option for her either. Seriously though guys, I haven't tried it and it still doesn't help against her devastating rushdown abilities but can this help break the needle camping?
Sorry, but...I tried. I like to throw a gyroid to keep my opponent busy as I grow a tree, but good Shieks can just jump, fast-fall, and hit you with a few needles while youre patting the ground were you planted the seed. Link's a lot slower so it works on him much more effectively, but Sheik is much faster.
Pocketing her needles is pretty pointless, cause we can only throw one, and actually getting it into your pocket can be tough when Sheiks will simply throw 2 or more needles, knowing Villager's limits here, so when you try to pocket one you just get hit with another.
Oh, wait sorry, you mean just waiting behind the tree? Sure you could get a needle (yeah, just one), but Sheiks will usually just wait a fair distance away. Wait for your tree to rot. While they're waiting they'll even charge up their needles and will probably throw them out once they see the tree's leaves falling.
Also good Sheiks rarely use the grenade... it's a rather finicky projectile that leaves Sheik open for a while and has some endlag. They'll only use it when edgeguarding an opponent that will be somewhere predictable, like Ness or Fox&Falco. The only other time they'll use it is for an advanced technique where they jump above but behind a ledge, throw it out, have it explode while their endlag is cancelled by grabbing the ledge. Pocketing her grenade if you do isn't really that rewarding either. You stop an explosion from happening, but all you have to throw back is a little ball that does...I think maybe 4%?

Fighting Sheik is pretty frustrating cause she can just keep running, she can make it back to the stage pretty easy even her teleport avoiding bowling balls among other things, she's really good at edgeguarding, I haven't seen it happen but I bet she could pop our balloons with two needles, and she can pressure us with projectiles that aren't worth pocketing - or even that easy to.
I'd say this matchup is... 40:60 in Villager's favor sadly. I really hope we can get a cool matchup chart on the front page sometime soon?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
On the other hand, here's a funner matchup for us!
Villager vs Bowz June :4villager::4bowserjr:
So it's reeeally easy to pocket mecha-koopa, it even gets stuck on our trees, and Jr can't use another one when we're holding onto one. This gives us stage control pretty easily with gyroids and trees, but be careful, Bowz Jr can get where he wants to with his clown kart if you don't launch a gyroid, so dont get to comfy, you still have to work here!

Also while youre holding onto that mecha-koopa Junior's will make use of their cannons which can be dangerous. Personally, I'd throw the mecha-koopa up to maybe grab it again while I pocket the cannonball - when you hold an item (like catching a mecha-koopa after throwing it up and pocketing a cannonball) and pocket something when something is already in your pocket, you exchange them! So you would pocket the mecha-koopa again while throwing out the cannonball! This is tough, so you can just throw the mecha-koopa at June or wherever while you steal the cannonball. They can be really powerful! I'm not sure, but I think a pocketed fully-charged cannonball can kill at...50%? Bowz Jr. is heavy. But only in his clown car, so maybe save the cannonball for when he's jumped out and maybe trying to recover diagonally, trying to dodge a bowling ball. They'll try to go for the ledge probably to avoid having their endlag punished, so launch that connonball while they try fall towards the ledge. Using it at this time could probably kill a Bowz Jr unprotected by his clown car at...30% maybe?
I know Bowser Jr takes about 3 times less damage when in his clown car. In special smash when you have flowers on your head, while characters tack on damage, itll take about 3 ticks for Jr. to get 1%. Interesting stuff!
I go for grabbing cannonballs, because re-pocketing mecha-koopas is very easy. Alright, that's all the pocket fun I can think of, sadly you can't pocket an abandoned clown car lol

Now, for walling Bowz Jr out, he can get from place to place with his Clown Kart, but you can't stop him with gyroid. I don't think he can burst through it with his super armor either. At least not usually, maybe on start up when they start with a little jump for quicker start-up, lil bit of an advanced tech.
Short-hopping gyroid, falling slingshot is also a nice tactic, Jr's want to jump once and land with an aerial like neutral air. They won't want to double jump, cause we both know they can be juggled by our disjointed long lasting turnips since they're heavy. They might want to send an abandoned clown car down to you, but it has a bit of start-up you can punish with turnips, or you can just shield or something. Villager doesn't have much endlag that can be punished by this. It might be a good tactic by Juniors to destroy trees with this though!
Along with Villager's down-b, watering can is effective at pushing a helpless junior off the stage. Even if they try to combat with a hammer, they won't be able to grab the ledge! And axe is axe, I suppose!

Slingshots can be pretty great and used to juggle as Jr's hurtbox is rather wide, and most of his approaches want to land diagonally with an aerial. Short hop turnips can also punish another one of Jr's favorite approaches, the clown kart.

However, I think Jr's advantages are is he hits harder, might be able to kill earlier, his abandoned clown car can pressure Villager or catch him too focused on growing/chopping a tree, Jr's grab is a bit better though his kill throw(up-throw) doesn't kill as early as Villager's(back-throw), the clown kart can get him places quickly, and Jr is heavy so may take some work to kill.

Overall though, I think Villager has a noticeable advantage. Maybe 57.5:42.5 in Villager's favor?

Last edited:

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice

Never be ashamed to play lame.

Never.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Anyone have any tips for going up against Shulk? Maybe it was just because I was having tournament jitters, but when I went to Xanadu two weeks ago(I think) I was totally destroyed by a Shulk player. Granted I was rattled on my second game, since I was mostly caught off-guard by him, however he managed to keep me at a range and I couldn't seem to get a hit on him. Also I kept getting knocked off my Side B, which I probably shouldn't have spammed as a recovery admittedly.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Anyone have any tips for going up against Shulk? Maybe it was just because I was having tournament jitters, but when I went to Xanadu two weeks ago(I think) I was totally destroyed by a Shulk player. Granted I was rattled on my second game, since I was mostly caught off-guard by him, however he managed to keep me at a range and I couldn't seem to get a hit on him. Also I kept getting knocked off my Side B, which I probably shouldn't have spammed as a recovery admittedly.
Aw, well congrats on getting out there, wish I could! But yeah, Shulk is tricky... I'll try and think deeply on it, but I only have a fair amount of knowledge with this matchup, I might miss something so anyone please jump in and help out!
Villager vs Shulk :4villager::4shulk:
Most Shulks will want to start out in speed form and run pivot grab you or short hop and harass you with nairs until they start a combo. This is to keep you from setting up walls like your tree and to bypass gyroids and slingshots. In this mode I may send a gyroid immediately at the start and then try to stand my ground, short hop turnips if I see them run and try to grab, stand my ground until his speed runs out and then continue to space him out comfortably.

Some Shulks will start with the damage boosting effect though! I'd just keep your space, hit with gyroids, slingshots, weeds, and try to jump our or nair out of combos if caught.

As for your recovery, I usually let a gyroid go just above them in case they jump at me, trying to spike, and also as I fall towards the ledge with a slingshot if they patiently wait there to try and punish me somehow else. Riding the gyroid can be pretty dangerous, but if ya really wanna go for it you can do mindgames with it! Not many people know this, but if you hold back as you ride gyroid he'll actually slow down significantly, so you can do mindgames similar to Wario's bike. Get on it, they charge a smash or jump spike, and you just slow down and wait for them to finish or get out of your way before ya get to the stage! You can speed up by holding forward whenever you want.

My biggest problem with Shulk personally are his counters. You can try and bait them, but... Shulks use them on us so much cause we don't really run up to grab anyone. I'd just be careful, definitely keep it in mind, and don't be afraid to grab or something when you see it. You have to respect this most in his shield form, its super duper strong in that form! Some Shulk's will want to counter your tree so you can mindgame them by dash dancing or something to get them scared and counter, and then you can timber. Sometimes you can even just wait there and glare until they panic. Be alert and have good timing as usual!

Pocketing... Pocket wont do much here, but you can hold onto spare wood from trees. Could help with some setups, and pocketing em makes em stronger, like with anything! Im not sure, but I think pocketed fruit may heal you more too?

His smash form is worrisome, but you can run until it goes away reliably I think! Most Shulk's ive seen want to throw out a forward smash as it reaches pretty far, but it's endlag could suffer a shovel from us or just some turnips at least! Dont be afraid to hit em if he's vulnerable, but I would avoid...just getting up close.

His jump form, he can't really run so great as a trade-off, so I'd get some airborne gyroids to discourage jumping and short-hop turnips or short hop slingshots to tack on damage. Maybe even grow a tree, he shouldnt be near you so soon.

Also with his shield form, he's super heavy so you probably won't kill him, but tack on damage! With his weight you could turnip juggle him, and with his slow pace you could actually get easier grabs and harass him with slingshots and other projectiles. But as always...keep your distance, counter should be feared.

Um... all around Shulk is very tricky and can cleverly manipulate himself, but our walls should be able to manage most of those forms! And whatever forms you can't manage, run for 11 seconds!

I'd say this matchup is...even, I think. Maybe slightly in Villager's favor.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Aw, well congrats on getting out there, wish I could! But yeah, Shulk is tricky... I'll try and think deeply on it, but I only have a fair amount of knowledge with this matchup, I might miss something so anyone please jump in and help out!
Most Shulks will want to start out in speed form and run pivot grab you or short hop and harass you with nairs until they start a combo. This is to keep you from setting up walls like your tree and to bypass gyroids and slingshots. In this mode I may send a gyroid immediately at the start and then try to stand my ground, short hop turnips if I see them run and try to grab, stand my ground until his speed runs out and then continue to space him out comfortably.
Some Shulks will start with the damage boosting effect though! I'd just keep your space, hit with gyroids, slingshots, weeds, and try to jump our or nair out of combos if caught.
As for your recovery, I usually let a gyroid go just above them in case they jump at me, trying to spike, and also as I fall towards the ledge with a slingshot if they patiently wait there to try and punish me somehow else. Riding the gyroid can be pretty dangerous, but if ya really wanna go for it you can do mindgames with it! Not many people know this, but if you hold back as you ride gyroid he'll actually slow down significantly, so you can do mindgames similar to Wario's bike. Get on it, they charge a smash or jump spike, and you just slow down and wait for them to finish or get out of your way before ya get to the stage! You can speed up by holding forward whenever you want.
My biggest problem with Shulk personally are his counters. You can try and bait them, but... Shulks use them on us so much cause we don't really run up to grab anyone. I'd just be careful, definitely keep it in mind, and don't be afraid to grab or something when you see it. You have to respect this most in his shield form, its super duper strong in that form! Some Shulk's will want to counter your tree so you can mindgame them by dash dancing or something to get them scared and counter, and then you can timber. Sometimes you can even just wait there and glare until they panic. Be alert and have good timing as usual!
Pocketing... Pocket wont do much here, but you can hold onto spare wood from trees. Could help with some setups, and pocketing em makes em stronger, like with anything! Im not sure, but I think pocketed fruit may heal you more too?
His smash form is worrisome, but you can run until it goes away reliably I think! Most Shulk's ive seen want to throw out a forward smash as it reaches pretty far, but it's endlag could suffer a shovel from us or just some turnips at least! Dont be afraid to hit em if he's vulnerable, but I would avoid...just getting up close.
His jump form, he can't really run so great as a trade-off, so I'd get some airborne gyroids to discourage jumping and short-hop turnips or short hop slingshots to tack on damage. Maybe even grow a tree, he shouldnt be near you so soon.
Also with his shield form, he's super heavy so you probably won't kill him, but tack on damage! With his weight you could turnip juggle him, and with his slow pace you could actually get easier grabs and harass him with slingshots and other projectiles. But as always...keep your distance, counter should be feared.
Um... all around Shulk is very tricky and can cleverly manipulate himself, but our walls should be able to manage most of those forms! And whatever forms you can't manage, run for 11 seconds!
First of all thank you for all ways trying to make these large writeups this is something i can't do. You could gain from double spacing your paragraphs to make them easier to read though.

Onto Shulk vs Villager.
The only forms that are remotely frightening are speed, smash, and jump when you're off stage. Speed and Smash Shulk (not so much Jump) becomes less frightening when you realize that his areal deacceleration is bad meaning if he jumps he HAS to commit to that jump. Play it safe until those modes wear off then rush Shulk, his recovery is pretty weak.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Thank you and agreed! And oh, his back-slash... Keep it in mind, but...it really isn't anything to worry about. I wonder if you could watering can him off the stage when he's like this? Probably, but you might get hit.

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I really want to talk about:
Villager vs Wii Fit Trainer :4villager::4wiifit::4villagerf::4wiifitm:

At the start of the match, Wii Fit Trainers will usually either - Take a deep breath, charge a Sun Salutation, or use Header to hopefully preoccupy you, similar to our gyroids. As for the deep breath, there's not much you can do to stop this, Villager just can't get there in time on most stages, but probably could on Battlefield, Lylat, and likely a few other stages, so try to take Wii Fit Trainer there if you can! Battlefield and Lylat are very good for our bowling balls too!

What's cool about Header, is you can pocket the Volley(Soccer?)ball, and when you use it successfully, itll bounce off Wii Fit Trainer and you can actually pocket it again! Even if you hit her shield you can still grab it. But I would keep my pockets open if Wii Fit Trainer is running around with a fully charged Sun Salutation!

Pocketing a fully charged Sun Salutation, as you can probably expect, can either kill or even break shields usually. Not much to say here, we're all familiar with this situation, it's pretty similar to Samus's charge shot, Lucario's aura sphere, or Megaman's (except thats only grounded). Have good timing and reaction times and you'll be rewarded greatly!

Wii Fit Trainer's recovery can move in different ways, so bowling balls won't always work, but her Hula-Hoops only have hitboxes to her sides, so you can go ahead and try to spike her with turnips!

All around, Wii Fit Trainer's range is sorta poor and she needs to be at least somewhat precise. It can be very tough against Villager who can effectively wall her out, pressure her with projectiles, and steal her own projectiles. Even her grab range is poor, it's pretty tough for her to get in when Villager can pretty easily keep his space.

Wii Fit Trainer has three spikes though, header, her down-air, and even the back of her foward air, so avoid riding gyroid to recover, not that you have to. Balloons should be fine, but if your opponent has great aim you miiight get hit with a volleyball.

Wii Fit Trainers also generally love to play on the ledge and will try to cover themselves by throwing a volleyball to try and get you away so they can recover safely. It's quite similar to our slingshots, so be careful!

Wii Fit Trainer can also bury her opponents like we can, but its through her jab on a grounded opponent. I don't think you need to be or should be that close and grounded to her, at that distance I recommend short hop turnips. Try to get in the air!

After the start of the match, you can punish deep breathes with slingshots I suppose, but good Wii Fit Trainers will only go for this after launching you away or being launched themselves. Not much you can do to stop it, but I'm pretty sure the effects (added damage and knockback) fade away after a few seconds, so similar to Shulk, keep your space and outlast it! Should be even easier as Wii Fit Trainer doesnt have a sword, but in frustration to hit you theyll likely throw projectiles like uncharged sun salutations or volleyballs! Uncharged sun salutations are slow and can be easily avoided usually and the volleyball may be fast but it just as small. Avoid it, or pocket it if you like!

While Wii Fit Trainers can struggle to catch you, they could have tacked on enough damage during the match to kill you with her kill throw, up-throw. Again, her grab range isn't amazing, but it isn't impossible to get caught! Just keep your rolls under control and... probably don't go for grabs or other moves with lots of endlag. Watch out for getting shield grabbed too! Always keep your space!

Generally, I think Wii Fit Trainer has a real hard time catching Villager, her range is poor and her projectiles are usually slow enough to comfortably pocket. She can heal herself and power up patiently against a defensive Villager waiting behind a tree, but should have to deal with gyroids at least. Maybe she should go for early kills with spikes, since its so tough to catch Villager, but if it doesn't kill she can't really pop Villager's balloons quickly, so killing early isn't as easy as it is on other characters. If you're Wii Fit Trainer, definitely don't mess up deep breathing when you get the chance to use it! I think you really want Villager off the stage to spike him, seems like your best bet! Easier then getting around all the slingshots and gyroids on the stage, anyway. Ya need good aim and patience. Take a deep breath, stay calm, and wait try to jump at an opportunity.

As for us Villagers, keep up the pressure! Slingshots, gyroids, shield yourself with a tree to stop oncoming projectiles, short-hop turnips, and nair. Keep your space always, even off stage, she can surprise you with a spike! Feel free to try and spike her with your own when she's hula-hooping though!

Stages you should take her to for even more of an advantage: Battlefield and Lylat.
Stages that help Wii Fit Trainer a bit, so avoid: Halberd, Town&City, probably Delfino.

I'd say this matchup is 60:40 for Villager!

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
I sub Wii Fit so I can give a bit of insight as well. Wii Fits might think they can outcamp you with spamming Sun Salutations and Headers but you definitely have a huge advantage in this matchup. Her hitboxes are really really weird so watch out for pivot f-tilts, f-smashes, and jabs. On one hand if you have a Tree up she has a strong chance of getting Deep Breathing up, but you can more than likely stall it out, and make her come to you. She can crouch under your aerials, so be mindful if you're fading back/towards her with fair or nair. Tree protects you from both of her projectiles, and as always you have pockets.

Also, this is rare to happen but Header can spike! I believe it's right where WFT headbutts the ball, it can meteor, so just be a little wary if she tries to do that. Of course you can probably just use pocket to snatch it/invincibility, heh.

This matchup's really hard for WFT, like anybody else who's really campy. 60:40 at the very least.

EDIT: hard for wii fit, not villager lol

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I think it's time we start talking about Villager vs Villager MU.

It's weird. You both have tricks up your sleeves. It has to be based on more than just skill. :\

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

It's weird. You both have tricks up your sleeves. It has to be based on more than just skill. :\
That's how mirrors work

Sonsa

Smash Champion

Well it certainly is one of the funner dittos, but it is entirely based on the skills of the player as you're both using and have access to the same exact tools.

It's quite impossible to say this matchup is anything but 50:50 in Villager's favor. But I guess I can still give a little advice! No other threads I've seen really cover dittos, but I don't see any harm in discussing it either.
So okay! Villager vs Villager :4villager::4villagerf:

A big part of this matchup instead of other dittos is mindgames. It's not all sheilding at the right time and punishing, however this is a match where you shouldnt worry about spacing another out as much, you can go in with nair, or try to carry them off the stage with slingshots.

But primarily, you two are ganna be throwing things at each other and pocketing while also slingshotting or even trying to prove youre the better boxer on the ground. Villagers in this matchup don't really need or go to set up walls because they know the other could too.

However, here's the mindgame, let them pocket something at that's when you can use your tree. If they're quick enough, they'll throw whatever it is away and greedily wait for your tree to fall into their pocket. But sometimes if you've already got one set up or maybe you've made your opponent feel like it's been 30 seconds they could panic, getting close and wanting the tree, but getting punished.
Most Villager's don't use tree in this matchup though, so you may have to be the one to grow one to get the other player paranoid and start copying you in case. Some players do like growing them though, let's them use their axe. Another thing, you can chop down other Villager's trees, but then they can still pocket it even though it's 'their' tree.

Uhh, what else... your opponent is going to expect bowling balls, go for turnip spike instead usually. Oh! Pocketing a gyroid, hurling it and then grabbing your opponent is a great kill at higher percents. You hold them in place and they get launched by a powered up gyroid. Fun and stylish to do too!

Anyway, it really all comes down to mindgames, and...well yeah, skill. Who reacts faster, who has more combos, stuff like that. 50:50, impossible to be otherwise. Good luck!

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I fought an incredible villager last night on for glory, overwhelmed me completely. She was so fast and skilled it made my head spin.

In fact... it was you Sonsa! Small world huh =P.

Anyway the only thing I have to say about the ditto matchup is listen to Sonsa!

Actually if I have one thing to say it's don't ovrrvalue lloids. If there is one thing I did right in that set it was read and punish her lloid rythm after a few games.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I fought an incredible villager last night on for glory, overwhelmed me completely. She was so fast and skilled it made my head spin.

In fact... it was you Sonsa! Small world huh =P.

Anyway the only thing I have to say about the ditto matchup is listen to Sonsa!

Actually if I have one thing to say it's don't ovrrvalue lloids. If there is one thing I did right in that set it was read and punish her lloid rythm after a few games.
Oh, what a coincidence! GGs! The Villager ditto is always fun with another great Villager! Thank you very much for such kind words, but you deserve credit too, many of those matches were rather close, you adapted to my playstyle pretty well, it was a good challenge for me!

Aha, yeah, as a player, one of my biggest problems is that I'm just too stubborn. When I want to pull something off I'll keep going for it and can become predictable, I really wanted another pocketed gyroid grab kill, I really have to train myself to give it up once in a while XD

Oh! Reminded me what I wanted to say about ledge games actually! Getting up from a ledge as Villager can be a little tricky sometimes. Many times, I and others will want to back off, launch a gyroid and slingshot to cover the ledge, but if your opponents shield those attacks, they can punish you're re-grabbing of the edge! When you re-grab without getting hit or landing on the stage, you have no invincibility and can actually be punished, one of the most effective punishes you'll receive for this is a lucky turnip spike.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042

First of all thank you for all ways trying to make these large writeups this is something i can't do. You could gain from double spacing your paragraphs to make them easier to read though.

Onto Shulk vs Villager.
The only forms that are remotely frightening are speed, smash, and jump when you're off stage. Speed and Smash Shulk (not so much Jump) becomes less frightening when you realize that his areal deacceleration is bad meaning if he jumps he HAS to commit to that jump. Play it safe until those modes wear off then rush Shulk, his recovery is pretty weak.

Thanks for the help you two! I have other pocket mains(no pun intended), but I was a little stubborn on using Villager so I didn't switch. I just wanted to know how good the matchup was between Shulk.

PigglyJuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mr.Hugz
3DS FC
2793-1251-1909
I've actually seen a lot of villager dittos change to a game of smash potato.

For Glory©

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I like to give credit where it's due and even if there were some close matches your skills were evident. The speed and control you had over your villager inspires me to practice more so I can play like that =)

I do have one last thing to mention about the diddo matchup though, bowling ball:

In one of nakats videos he said that he considers it more of a trap than a smash attack, and I tend to agree with him. In other mathups I like to try and trade fsmash with people who like using approaches that need to get close to connect (like falcons dash attack / dash grab, it's amazing for that), and landings. If you read a SH approach you might manage to trade with dair or nair. I used to think of fsmashes hitbox as being right in front of villager, but on startup it's in the perfect position to hit a sh approach. It's also nearly the best punish you can use on someone who lands directly beside you. You will get an early KO in either case.

Top Bottom