• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tower of Smash Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's pretty cold, instead of coming out and immediately saying that instead. But what about the Tower of Smash leak, that says Ridley will be playable? Would we just have a Toon Link/Alfonzo situation? Or could it be justified with two Ridleys, one being the clone from Other M and a new player model Ridley?
In all honesty, if by miracle it turns out to be true, I believe that the character part would still be fake.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
In all honesty, if by miracle it turns out to be true, I believe that the character part would still be fake.
Still, there's no denying that Ridley and Mewtwo are the most heavily requested characters for Smash Bros. Ignoring them entirely when the opportunity is perfect after 12 or so years seems off as a director.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Honestly, I'm kind of bummed now that the leak is most likely not real. Not because of the characters, but because Tower of Smash sounds like an absolute blast. I hope the actual Wii U exclusive adventure mode wannabe is even half that awesome. Smash Run doesn't interest me as much.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I'd like to know why this Leak Group is exclusive to certain members. I mean, aren't we all in right to know the secrets of the game? I'd like to know, just to put it past me already.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna hold out hope until we get some kind of disconfirmation from Sakurai. What makes this most plausible to me is that Tower of Smash is basically a reused idea from Soul Calibur IV, whose devs are working on Sm4sh. I also think the stage list makes a tremendous amount of sense. The only thing that's really off about this leak at all is the characters, which happen to be exactly what fans are still hoping for at this point. If it was just the Tower of Smash details and the stage list, I don't think anybody would question this leak at all.

I'd like to know why this Leak Group is exclusive to certain members. I mean, aren't we all in right to know the secrets of the game? I'd like to know, just to put it past me already.
Pretty sure you can request an invite from a mod, I just haven't bothered. I think they just want to keep the chaos that leak threads generate contained, and keep out posters who are notorious for causing discussion to spiral out of control.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Still, there's no denying that Ridley and Mewtwo are the most heavily requested characters for Smash Bros. Ignoring them entirely when the opportunity is perfect after 12 or so years seems off as a director.
Well, Ridley is at least a boss, so I wouldn't call that "entirely ignored". Plus, he is not that popular in Japan if I recall well.
For Mewtwo, I'm quite sure, with the return of Doctor Mario, that Sakurai wants to bring back characters. DLC is still a possibility, too, but we'll have to wait to see if it happens.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Well, Ridley is at least a boss, so I wouldn't call that "entirely ignored". Plus, he is not that popular in Japan if I recall well.
For Mewtwo, I'm quite sure, with the return of Doctor Mario, that Sakurai wants to bring back characters. DLC is still a possibility, too, but we'll have to wait to see if it happens.
Well, Little Mac being in the game shows he listens to the west.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Well... This is depressing. I just want Mewtwo back, is that so much to ask? I wish I knew what Sakurai was thinking about him this whole time. I'm going to silently watch how things go and keep hoping things go well.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I really want this leak to be true, but I'm gonna sit on the fence until confirmed, like I always do. Tower of Smash sounds like loads of fun, and the characters sound nice, especially my beloved Mewtwo, and my #2-man, Ridley. So, yeah, like Poseman would say, Go for it!
Oh, and I wanna get in on this themed-team deal, so here goes.
The Favorites: :mewtwopm::4iggy::4gaw::4miigun:
The Bros.::4mario::4drmario::4luigi::4wario2:
The Oddballs: :4rob::4duckhunt::4wiifit::4jigglypuff:
The Outs::4greninja::4lucario::rosalina::4darkpit:
The Third Parties::4pacman::4shulk::4megaman::4sonic:
The Forgotten: :4ness::4falcon::4fox::4falco:
The Separatists::4charizard::4zss::4zelda::4sheik:
The Others?::4littlemac::4villager::4olimar::4palutena:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I really want this leak to be true, but I'm gonna sit on the fence until confirmed, like I always do. Tower of Smash sounds like loads of fun, and the characters sound nice, especially my beloved Mewtwo, and my #2-man, Ridley. So, yeah, like Poseman would say, Go for it!
Oh, and I wanna get in on this themed-team deal, so here goes.
The Favorites: :mewtwopm::4iggy::4gaw::4miigun:
The Bros.::4mario::4drmario::4luigi::4wario2:
The Oddballs: :4rob::4duckhunt::4wiifit::4jigglypuff:
The Outs::4greninja::4lucario::rosalina::4darkpit:
The Third Parties::4pacman::4shulk::4megaman::4sonic:
The Forgotten: :4ness::4falcon::4fox::4falco:
The Separatists::4charizard::4zss::4zelda::4sheik:
The Others?::4littlemac::4villager::4olimar::4palutena:
Shulk isn't third party though...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
That's true. Ridley's popularity is more established in the Western audiences, where the Prime games sold really well, too.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
True. And, I'm glad he's first party now, but he used to be, so I figured I'd put him there because I needed a fourth character.
Actually, Shulk never appeared in any other game before Xenoblade Chronicles, which is a Nintendo owned IP. His series namesake 'Xeno', was originally third party, but Nintendo bought Monolith Soft who made it into Xenoblade.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Honestly theres really no excuse to not put Mewtwo and/or Ridley in this game

"Uh but time constraints!" Its 2014. Nintendo is going the Dlc route. Worse thing is if they abuse the concept like Give Me Your CashCom does which they probably won't. Sakurai being against Dlc or not dosent mean s*** cause Nintendo has the last say in the subject.

If the leak is fake it doesn't deconfirm Dlc for this game and thats what matters right now.

Actually, Shulk never appeared in any other game before Xenoblade Chronicles, which is a Nintendo owned IP. His series namesake 'Xeno', was originally third party, but Nintendo bought Monolith Soft who made it into Xenoblade.
Third party or not he isn't a true Nintendo character, he just got lucky cause Nintendo bought his parent franchise's company before anyone else. If Monolith was bought by somone like Capcom or Konami then we wouldnt even be talking about him right now.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Just because you haven't heard of something means that it's super obscure 0/10 nobody's ever heard of it.

I remember back when it came out that there were several people talking about it online and excited to play it... Seems like a cool game. I wouldn't really say you'd have to be insane to know what it is at all.
I know What Endless Ocean Is Though I like it I'm just saying its a strange inclusion to add that sort of stage, do I want it to be real?, hell yes I do.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Honestly theres really no excuse to not put Mewtwo and/or Ridley in this game

"Uh but time constraints!" Its 2014. Nintendo is going the Dlc route. Worse thing is if they abuse the concept like Give Me Your CashCom does which they probably won't. Sakurai being against Dlc or not dosent mean s*** cause Nintendo has the last say in the subject.

If the leak is fake it doesn't deconfirm Dlc for this game and thats what matters right now.

Third party or not he isn't a true Nintendo character, he just got lucky cause Nintendo bought his parent franchise's company before anyone else. If Monolith was bought by somone like Capcom or Konami then we wouldnt even be talking about him right now.
Shulk is just as much first party as Ness is.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Third party or not he isn't a true Nintendo character, he just got lucky cause Nintendo bought his parent franchise's company before anyone else. If Monolith was bought by someone like Capcom or Konami then we wouldn't even be talking about him right now.
That statement doesn't even make sense.

Then what constitutes as a "true" Nintendo character?

Nintendo was bought by Monolith Soft, making all Monolith games First Party. Xenoblade was made after this acquisition happened. Shulk is first party, and therefore has much first party credence as Link, Samus, and Olimar.

Mewtwo is old news and, in my opinion, would be oversaturation of an already over-represented region of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
How ironic that you compare him to character who is completly irrelevant outside of smash.
Ah...I don't get how that has anything to do with anything? Shulk is a Nintendo character, I could compare him to Pikachu if you want? He's the same as well, even closer since Nintendo didn't create Pikachu.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Ah...I don't get how that has anything to do with anything? Shulk is a Nintendo character, I could compare him to Pikachu if you want? He's the same as well, even closer since Nintendo didn't create Pikachu.
Pikachu wasn't created by Nintendo yet it's franchise as subowned by them longer than the Xeno games. Shulk is maybe the first legitimate Nintendo Ip from his franchise, but his popularity stems from him being in smash and the Xenoblade fans who where the only ones who wanted him in the first place.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Pikachu wasn't created by Nintendo yet it's franchise as subowned by them longer than the Xeno games. Shulk is maybe the first legitimate Nintendo Ip from his franchise, but his popularity stems from him being in smash and the Xenoblade fans who where the only ones who wanted him in the first place.
well guessing how he's in smash now sakurai wanted him in........think that over plz

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Mewtwo is old news and, in my opinion, would be oversaturation of an already over-represented region of Pokemon.
If you can come up with another non G1 pokemon that isn't already a poke ball that has a legit reason to be a playable character that would be great.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
If you can come up with another non G1 pokemon that isn't already a poke ball that has a legit reason to be a playable character that would be great.
raikou???

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
well guessing how he's in smash now sakurai wanted him in........think that over plz
Dark Pit. Plus the last two newcomers revealed before Shulk have an anime vibe with flashy OP moves just like him.

And didn't the Xenoblade creator keep posting random ish on the Smash twitter or something?

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Dark Pit. Plus the last two newcomers revealed before Shulk have an anime vibe with flashy OP moves just like him.

And didn't the Xenoblade creator keep posting random ish on the Smash twitter or something?
xenoblade creator retweeted the robin one not shulk and dark pit is sakurai character what does that have to do with it?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Shulk IS a true Nintendo character and he IS first party. Saying otherwise is just stupid. The "Xeno" in the name doesn't change anything. It's not officially part of Xenosaga or Xenogear games. It's its own series with the namesake being a tribute to the former games.

raikou???
Why would they pick Raikou out of all Pokemon?

Gen 1 is still the most recognizable generation though. Mewtwo is fairly popular and is easily recognized too.

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So, wait, what does getting up and ornery about Shulk have to do with Tower of Smash?

I actually think Shulk's appearance bodes well for the future of Smash. It demonstrates that Sakurai isn't afraid to introduce new things and rock the boat with his roster additions. Shulk is unlike anything we've seen before, as his entire fighting style revolves around altering his stats mid-battle. We've seen transforming characters before, but those are literally becoming a new character: Shulk actually maintains the same essential moveset, but radically alters how players will fight as him. That's experimentation and it's good.

That, in turn, means I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tower of Smash is a thing. Tower of Smash, as I see it, is pretty much taking a winning formula (similar "boss gauntlets" appear in many, many other action games) and seeing how it works within Smash's distinctive playstyle. Sakurai's renowned for always pushing the envelope out and trying to improve on what's been done before. It may not always work (I did enjoy Subspace Emissary, but it does bear its notable flaws and redundancies), but at least he's trying. Taking elements from Namco's extremely successful Soul Calibur series and jiving it up with the good old fashioned Smash magic can only be a good thing.

Incidentally, people may get upset and make waves about Dark Pit being in the game, but come on, the man's literally worked himself half to death for our sake; he should be allowed some ego-pandering freebies. It's pretty much a "well done" present to himself after being nice and giving us Shulk.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
xenoblade creator retweeted the robin one not shulk and dark pit is sakurai character what does that have to do with it?
And you'll think he would put some effort in a character that looks like he was made by an 8 year old.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You guys' arguments are getting extremely off-topic and annoying, I will alert a moderator if you keep up.

-----

As for the leak itself, I completely buy into the stage list and the Tower of Smash, but not the characters.

I'm imaging Ridley's wings are supposed to grow and retract from Super Metroid size to Metroid Prime size, and while I could see it working really well, I simply don't believe Ridley will ever be playable in Smash Bros. He is not worth the controversy he has caused in this game's life cycle.
Chorus Kids is a character i think was scrapped for similar reasons to the Ice Climbers; as such, I find them very unlikely to appear.
Impa is really overrated by the Smash community and it's obvious she is chosen here simply because she's the only viable Zelda character not already an Assist Trophy.
The only characters on this leak I find likely are Mewtwo and Dixie Kong, but even they would not prove this leak.

EDIT: Also if Impa is seriously playable as anything but an alt over Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid, I will eat all the fingers off my left hand.

Last edited:

Naoshi

I really wonder what kind of single player mode we will have for Wii U version if this leak is really fake (starting to feel more and more likely fake)

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Gen 1 is still the most recognizable generation though. Mewtwo is fairly popular and is easily recognized too.
Careful, you might be called a genwunner by the newgen loyalists for saying something like that.

And I guess Mewtwo is popular enough for Sakurai to not to put in the game yet again due to BS reasons like time constraints. That or he dosnt like him and was being a **** during the e3 pokemon q&a last year.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Come on, I really liked Mewtwo in Melee and wanted his returns, but a lot of newcommers were highly requested. It's not only "Wii Fit Trainer like" characters only. And Wii Fit Trainer is awesome, by the way.
This debate doesn't really belong here anyway.

I really wonder what kind of single player mode we will have for Wii U version if this leak is really fake (starting to feel more and more likely fake)
Yep, if the Tower of Smash is gone, we still need a succesor for the Adventure mode / Subspace Emissary.
Before the leak, I wanted something in between those modes, with a pinch of SSB4 classic mode, where you choose the next stage.
In short: An arcade-like, short mode, with a succesion of plateforming levels with enemies and boss fights.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
You guys' arguments are getting extremely off-topic and annoying, I will alert a moderator if you keep up.

-----

As for the leak itself, I completely buy into the stage list and the Tower of Smash, but not the characters.

I'm imaging Ridley's wings are supposed to grow and retract from Super Metroid size to Metroid Prime size, and while I could see it working really well, I simply don't believe Ridley will ever be playable in Smash Bros. He is not worth the controversy he has caused in this game's life cycle.
Chorus Kids is a character i think was scrapped for similar reasons to the Ice Climbers; as such, I find them very unlikely to appear.
Impa is really overrated by the Smash community and it's obvious she is chosen here simply because she's the only viable Zelda character not already an Assist Trophy.
The only characters on this leak I find likely are Mewtwo and Dixie Kong, but even they would not prove this leak.

EDIT: Also if Impa is seriously playable as anything but an alt over Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid, I will eat all the fingers off my left hand.
The controversy arrived because the naysayers feel the need to impose their will on those who simply want him as a playable character. For the "controversy" to end, him being a playable character would strongly silence it for good. And frankly, its for that reason I want him playable, just to end this back and forth.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
DLC is still possible regardless of the legitimacy of the leak.

I would like to see an "Arcade mode" by which you fight a latter of opponents one on one on the Omega versions of stages with no items. The final boss could be someone like Tabuu or Hades givin Sakurai's bias.

I also like the idea of Color customization for characters ala Street Fighter x Tekken, which was the only good thing about that game btw.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The controversy arrived because the naysayers feel the need to impose their will on those who simply want him as a playable character. For the "controversy" to end, him being a playable character would strongly silence it for good. And frankly, its for that reason I want him playable, just to end this back and forth.
I know that, and I couldn't agree more.
However, sadly Sakurai could probably care less about the fighting amongst Smash fans over a single character.
While having Ridley be playable would solve a lot of problems, including knocking out a big name off the requested characters lists, as well as adding representation to a long-standing Nintendo franchise, it's become increasingly unlikely.

Naoshi

Yep, if the Tower of Smash is gone, we still need a succesor for the Adventure mode / Subspace Emissary.
Before the leak, I wanted something in between those modes, with a pinch of SSB4 classic mode, where you choose the next stage.
In short: An arcade-like, short mode, with a succesion of plateforming levels with enemies and boss fights.
Yeah, at least something to fill the void in single player mode for Wii U. I'm a bit worried that we haven't heard a single thing yet for that version. I'm gonna be real disappointed if there's not much Single Player modes as Single Player IS one of the important things to me in Smash Bros.

I feel if there was a successor to Adventure Mode/SSE, it'd been already announced :( Smash Run seems to be the successor this time. But it would've been so sweet. As someone who absolutely hates SSE and think it's one of the most boring gaming experiences, it had so much potential. Your idea lines up with what I want out of it. A short mode with split paths, every stage is an adventure mode like stage based on a franchise. Each time you play this hypothetical mode, you'll play 6 out of 20 or so possible different adventure stages. Ah well... maybe Smash Bros 5?

I'm hoping they fix Break The Targets and make Event Matches interesting again for SSB4 Wii U...

Honestly though, Tower of Smash sounds like one of the most interesting ideas.

DLC is still possible regardless of the legitimacy of the leak.

I would like to see an "Arcade mode" by which you fight a latter of opponents one on one on the Omega versions of stages with no items. The final boss could be someone like Tabuu or Hades givin Sakurai's bias.

I also like the idea of Color customization for characters ala Street Fighter x Tekken, which was the only good thing about that game btw.
A hardcore classic mode sounds cool. But... was that "Sakurai bias" jab necessary? :/ Final bosses in Smash Bros games are always original characters.

Color customization sounds pretty cool too. My friend suggested such an idea recently, I'd love it. I can see it happening for Smash Bros 5 if they're gonna expand on the customization stuff!

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
However, sadly Sakurai could probably care less about the fighting amongst Smash fans over a single character.
While having Ridley be playable would solve a lot of problems, including knocking out a big name off the requested characters lists, as well as adding representation to a long-standing Nintendo franchise, it's become increasingly unlikely.
Yeah, while I seriously hope that's not the case, its looking like it is each day.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Which is why he needs to be in now or never cause this will be the last game for a long time.

Back on topic though what if we get some updated game few years later with new content (characters, stages, modes ect) that can be bought as a DLC expansion or it's own game like Super Luigi Bros.

Not trying to sound like their pulling a Capcom on this but it's something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom