• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tower of Smash Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Back on topic though what if we get some updated game few years later with new content (characters, stages, modes ect) that can be bought as a DLC expansion or it's own game like Super Luigi Bros.
Not trying to sound like their pulling a Capcom on this but it's something to think about.
Not technically on-topic but I will say I am completely down with this.
Don't want to buy bi-monthly updates for a year? Good news, you can just turn in your old copy and buy the same game with all the new content for the same price as the vanilla package.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah, at least something to fill the void in single player mode for Wii U. I'm a bit worried that we haven't heard a single thing yet for that version. I'm gonna be real disappointed if there's not much Single Player modes as Single Player IS one of the important things to me in Smash Bros.

I feel if there was a successor to Adventure Mode/SSE, it'd been already announced :( Smash Run seems to be the successor this time. But it would've been so sweet. As someone who absolutely hates SSE and think it's one of the most boring gaming experiences, it had so much potential. Your idea lines up with what I want out of it. A short mode with split paths, every stage is an adventure mode like stage based on a franchise. Each time you play this hypothetical mode, you'll play 6 out of 20 or so possible different adventure stages. Ah well... maybe Smash Bros 5?

I'm hoping they fix Break The Targets and make Event Matches interesting again for SSB4 Wii U...

Honestly though, Tower of Smash sounds like one of the most interesting ideas.
The fact that we know nothing about the WiiU version yet, except stages and "My Music" function actually makes me optimistic about the content. What awesome thing could they hide before the international release of Smash 3DS?

About Break the Target, the stages being character related was awesome. (Meanwhile, I just want the return of Board the Plateforms).

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
A hardcore classic mode sounds cool. But... was that "Sakurai bias" jab necessary? :/ Final bosses in Smash Bros games are always original characters.
Not necessary yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I doubt anything original can top Master Core though.

I would like to see Tabuu come back and maybe have some non canon relation between him and Master Core too like maybe they were ancient enemies from a alternate dimension.

Also, how about cinematic character endings for the wii u version like what TTT2 did.

Edit: I know a lot off people as myself are going off topic but there hasn't been any legit info regarding the leak since last Friday. Any thing is speculation at this point.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I think Tower of Smash is fake, seriously though... Tower of Smash? That name sucks.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Tower of Smash is fake, seriously though... Tower of Smash? That name sucks.
It's more than likely a reference to Soul Calibur IV's "Tower of Souls" mode. Both games are developed by Namco, so it's either a clever shout-out on the dev team's part or the leaker is being cute.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Maybe it isn't the real name. The leaker probably saw something that the name would be associated by. After all he didn't technically get the Game and Wario stage name right either.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
It's more than likely a reference to Soul Calibur IV's "Tower of Souls" mode. Both games are developed by Namco, so it's either a clever shout-out on the dev team's part or the leaker is being cute.
Yeah, that's the leaker being cute :p

Dean Lawrence

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiseUpAndFight
3DS FC
1246-8874-5343
I feel like the Game & Wario stage wasn't called "Gamer" in the leak, because nobody would have known what it was. Not saying it's real, but that's a possible reason for the title of that stage in the leak.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I feel like the Game & Wario stage wasn't called "Gamer" in the leak, because nobody would have known what it was. Not saying it's real, but that's a possible reason for the title of that stage in the leak.
I think this is the only reason the leak still stands right now.

The thing that makes this seem iffy is the part about Ridley's wings disappearing. Maybe their tucked all they way and it looks like his wings are not there.

Dean Lawrence

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiseUpAndFight
3DS FC
1246-8874-5343
I think this is the only reason the leak still stands right now.

The thing that makes this seem iffy is the part about Ridley's wings disappearing. Maybe their tucked all they way and it looks like his wings are not there.
Yeah. It seems improbable that they would grow and disappear. Being tucked onto his back seems much more realistic.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
@BluePikmin11
Can we get a little bit more context for this? I can't access the secret members only leaks group and I imagine many others here can't either. What section of the data files is this from? Why do Ridley and Metal Face have ??? next to their names in one list and "Wii U Stage" in the other?
The "???" and "Wii U Stage" tags were added in by users for categorization purposes and were not part of the actual filenames themselves.

You can find the files in their raw, unedited form here: http://pastebin.com/eQFB1v28

So let me get this straight. Some guy makes a post on 4chan, the place where anyone, you and me included can post on anonymously, with absolutely zero photographic proof or even a proof of his identity, and you guys all gobble it up and discuss it for 12 pages just because he wrote a lot of text?

Really? How naive are you children? Do you know how many "leaks" like that are posted there each DAY?

And before anyone tells me that he "guessed a stage correctly! what a prophet!" consider that he got the name wrong, and also that it was a very easy and logical guess based on the game's recent release.
I like you.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Still, there's no denying that Ridley and Mewtwo are the most heavily requested characters for Smash Bros. Ignoring them entirely when the opportunity is perfect after 12 or so years seems off as a director.
Sakurai has done many things that "seem off as a director", not including Mewtwo and Ridley is just one of many thing to pile up on that.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Guys!!! I've said this on many other threads and I need to say this just to stop the guys ranting about no Mewtwo and no Ridley...
Sakurai, IS NOT STUPID...

Sakurai added many of the most requested characters but not the 2 MOST requested characters...
That, is truly weird! I think we'll be getting them as free DLC.
I hope everyone doesn't reply to me, this thread is not for ranting about the roster.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Never judge a Nintendo product by the name...

- Wii
- Wii U
- DS
- 3DS
- New 3DS

Seriously, they'd do better putting a dictionary through a shredder over a bucket of honey and just reading off the first thing they saw.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Never judge a Nintendo product by the name...

- Wii
- Wii U
- DS
- 3DS
- New 3DS

Seriously, they do better putting a dictionary through a shredder over a bucket of honey and just reading off the first thing they saw.
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64
- Famicom
- Super Famicom
- Gameboy
- Gameboy Advance

At least they didn't give anyone of them a stupid name like: Nintendo One. I would honestly not be surprised if they one day released a Nintend0 though.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
That would be the day I give up on video games
I'm sure plenty of people said that about the "Wii U", but I'm sure they all went out and bought it t...

...oh...

Still, Tower of Smash is just as plausible as any other mode name. Maybe they'll have a "Smash Dash" to go with the confusing titles theme?

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Guys, (I know this isn't my thread) but try to stay on topic ;)

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
@BluePikmin11
Can we get a little bit more context for this? I can't access the secret members only leaks group and I imagine many others here can't either. What section of the data files is this from? Why do Ridley and Metal Face have ??? next to their names in one list and "Wii U Stage" in the other?
Apologies if someone answered this already.

The list with "????" next to Ridley and Metal Face was a list I put together, where I translated all of the Japanese names to their English ones and wrote down what they were used for in-game. BluePikmnin quoted it into this thread without context. Only the leftmost column is from the dump, the right stuff is what I added to help people understand what everything was. Ridley and Metal Fade got "????" because they aren't used in the 3DS game.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

The list with "????" next to Ridley and Metal Face was a list I put together, where I translated all of the Japanese names to their English ones and wrote down what they were used for in-game. BluePikmnin quoted it into this thread without context. Only the leftmost column is from the dump, the right stuff is what I added to help people understand what everything was. Ridley and Metal Fade got "????" because they aren't used in the 3DS game.
Thanks. That little bit of context helped a ton.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I want to believe because there's no way the 3DS got an exclusive adventure mode and the Wii U version –the bigger one, the one most people are excited for, the one that will boost Wii U sales– won't have any.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I want to believe because there's no way the 3DS got an exclusive adventure mode and the Wii U version –the bigger one, the one most people are excited for, the one that will boost Wii U sales– won't have any.
Whether the leak is true or not, I'd be SHOCKED if the Wii U version didn't get an exclusive adventure mode (or similar).

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
So let me get this straight. Some guy makes a post on 4chan, the place where anyone, you and me included can post on anonymously, with absolutely zero photographic proof or even a proof of his identity, and you guys all gobble it up and discuss it for 12 pages just because he wrote a lot of text?

Really? How naive are you children? Do you know how many "leaks" like that are posted there each DAY?

And before anyone tells me that he "guessed a stage correctly! what a prophet!" consider that he got the name wrong, and also that it was a very easy and logical guess based on the game's recent release.
That's a fair point, but consider the following in addition to guessing the right release date (which is not impossible but still a 1 in 5 ish chance):

He mentioned that EVERY franchise was getting a stage. Yes, the Game and Wario stage was sort of a given. However, out of all the stages that Sakurai could have revealed, he did not reveal one that disproved his bold claim that every franchise would get a new stage. If it was any other stage, it could have either proved that not every franchise got a new stage, or it could have proved him wrong due to him guessing the wrong stage for a certain franchise.

That's why I feel this leak has a pretty good chance of being true.

DreadToaster

Smash Rookie
Well, there is the clear Sakurai bias in stage choice. If this leak is true, Kirby is getting 4 brand new stages and Kid Icarus is getting 3 across versions. There are several series only getting one new stage across versions, including F-Zero, Earthbound, Star Fox, Sonic, Wario, and Mega Man. That's crazy, and pretty dissapointing. No one can argue that he could have cut at least one Kirby stage for a less represented, or maybe not even represented at all series. Do we really need Dedede's Castle. Bowser's Castle is one thing, the most famous example of a Boss Fortress, but Dedede's Castle's most unique feature is the Boxing Ring, and we already have one as a stage for Punch Out!
To say nothing of the 5 Zelda stages.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
(My apologies for leading everyone off-topic.)

Regardless, I think the details of the leak are plausible (A new and unannounced mode for Wii U that would keep the player interested for a long time), and the way in which the Tower of Smash mode works sounds like something that would exist in the game.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

Okay, got it. Basically Ridley was found mentioned in the game files alongside the similarly teased Metal Face and a wide variety of other characters we already know for sure are Smash Run Enemies/Stage Hazards. These elements were not labeled as such, but Ridley's presence among them does not inspire faith in the idea that he's a playable character as opposed to a stage boss. That certainly doesn't look good, but it's definitely less conclusive than how it was originally presented. And because I'm delusional, I'm going to keep hoping this leak bears some fruit.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Okay, got it. Basically Ridley was found mentioned in the game files alongside the similarly teased Metal Face and a wide variety of other characters we already know for sure are Smash Run Enemies/Stage Hazards. These elements were not labeled as such, but Ridley's presence among them does not inspire faith in the idea that he's a playable character as opposed to a stage boss. That certainly doesn't look good, but it's definitely less conclusive than how it was originally presented. And because I'm delusional, I'm going to keep hoping this leak bears some fruit.
If him and Metal face are the only stage bosses other than Yellow Devil then why are they teasing them for so long rather than just showing them off when the Wii U version is released. Its only crontributing to the fact that maybe theres some playable boss gimmick that makes them exclusive for Wii u but I doubt thats the case. Why hype for so thing thats unplayable especially when one of them is somebody most people dont even know who the heck he is unless they played Xenoblade?

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
As weird as it sounds, the bit about all characters being unlocked from the start is what's making me believe this more. It's a small, incredibly specific detail that deviates from what we assume will be true - we're all assuming unlockables, so anyone who was trying to fake a leak wouldn't tell us something like this for fear of being discredited on the spot, and yet there it is. Everything else appears viable and seems to line up with the direction we've seen Nintendo going lately.

There's also the chance that the information in the leak isn't quite complete. Perhaps the normal Wii U roster is unlockable through the usual means if you don't sync the 3DS and Wii U versions, but syncing will unlock everything (after all, why should you have to unlock the same characters twice? It's honestly something I've been suspecting they'd do all along).

I hope it's true, and I support it - though I will be honest and admit it's because I have Mewtwo bias. I do hate the idea that there are characters you can only get by purchasing both games, but it doesn't sound like something Nintendo wouldn't do (The whole platinum-only demo that didn't reach all platinum members and crashed Club Nintendo goes to show exactly what kind of marketing "geniuses" are at the helm). Hopefully, there's DLC for 3DS at some point that will unlock them.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
As weird as it sounds, the bit about all characters being unlocked from the start is what's making me believe this more. It's a small, incredibly specific detail that deviates from what we assume will be true - we're all assuming unlockables, so anyone who was trying to fake a leak wouldn't tell us something like this for fear of being discredited on the spot, and yet there it is. Everything else appears viable and seems to line up with the direction we've seen Nintendo going lately.

There's also the chance that the information in the leak isn't quite complete. Perhaps the normal Wii U roster is unlockable through the usual means if you don't sync the 3DS and Wii U versions, but syncing will unlock everything (after all, why should you have to unlock the same characters twice? It's honestly something I've been suspecting they'd do all along).

I hope it's true, and I support it - though I will be honest and admit it's because I have Mewtwo bias. I do hate the idea that there are characters you can only get by purchasing both games, but it doesn't sound like something Nintendo wouldn't do (The whole platinum-only demo that didn't reach all platinum members and crashed Club Nintendo goes to show exactly what kind of marketing "geniuses" are at the helm). Hopefully, there's DLC for 3DS at some point that will unlock them.
Exactly. I think everyone who claims that the leak is fake, simply because of that bit of detail are not thinking enough about that part. Yes, there have been unlockables in every Smash game before, but that doesn't mean trends can't change. The landscape has change, we've never had two versions of Smash officially developed, Nintendo has been more open to the competitive crowd than before, and having everything unlocked would help with tournament organizing, and there is a FD version of every stage to further show that. If there was a leak that stated transformable characters were gone before the direct, and Greninja was a player character, most would not believe it. Yes, the possibility of this being fake are still there, but its going to take hard evidence to do that, not personal perceptions.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
So, if the guy said the gamer level was there before it was released, then I think its probably real.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
The thing about this leak is that there's "what the hell that doesn't make any sense" parts and "YES FINALLY WE GOT X STAGE/CHARACTER," parts so I'm kinda unsure how to take it. On one hand, of course a fake leak would mention a bunch of popular characters like Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, etc. On the other hand, a real leak would have weird ass concepts like Ridley not having wings ("Bowser Jr would never join up in the clown car with Kooplings as alternates!" Also, the wings may have just been folded in). A fake leak would have a stupidly massive list of stages with a ton of awesome locales like Bowser's Castle, but a real leak guesses odder areas. A specific Game and Watch game after two games of Flat Zone? Endless Ocean? Oddly specific guesses.

All in all I'm neutral for now. There's too much "too good to be true" but just enough "that doesn't make any sense" and "that's an obscure as heck level" for me to dismiss it completely. The presence of Ridley does make me want to doubt it though: I still think he'll be a stage hazard, or if this Tower of Smash is real a boss. I will believe if one of these happens though:
-Tower of Smash confirmed.
-Endless Ocean or Greenhouse confirmed.
-We get 5 more new stages stages that don't stray from this list.

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
This leak is making me all confused. My heart says, "Maybe it's real?"

My mind, on the other hand, has the much louder voice. And it's saying, "Uhhhh, no."

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. I think everyone who claims that the leak is fake, simply because of that bit of detail are not thinking enough about that part. Yes, there have been unlockables in every Smash game before, but that doesn't mean trends can't change. The landscape has change, we've never had two versions of Smash officially developed, Nintendo has been more open to the competitive crowd than before, and having everything unlocked would help with tournament organizing, and there is a FD version of every stage to further show that. If there was a leak that stated transformable characters were gone before the direct, and Greninja was a player character, most would not believe it. Yes, the possibility of this being fake are still there, but its going to take hard evidence to do that, not personal perceptions.
The only people that are so quick to assume the leak is fake and constantly say both versions were confirmed by Sakurai to have the same roster, are the butthurt 3DS users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom