• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Probably doesn't mean much but some people said Link looked faster.
I feel they slowed him down a little in Brawl in order to differentiate him from Toon Link. Regular Link being sped back up could be another tiny hint.

I always hated the idea of two versions of the same character and I still do. Buuuuuuuut..... Toon Link majorly grew on me because of his unique style. I'd be sad if he's cut.
Would be weird timing too with the Windwaker re-release.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm sure we'll get some faster-weaker link variant like we have since Melee.
Whether or not it'll be Toon Link or some other Link (even from the new Zelda 3DS game whose name escapes me! Opens room for gimmicks based on his new powers) is up for debate, I guess.

EDIT: I forgot about Wind Waker rerelease.
Toon Link will be cut for "HD Toon Link". Calling it now.

D

Deleted member

I think Toon Link still has a chance. The one who can turn into a mural in the new Zelda game.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I know, I know, I saw your post in the other thread, but I made this because I want to see what everyone else has to say as well. You did give me something to think about with your comment, which is why I'm making this thread.

You forgot about the exlusive Game@Watch stage.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is on record saying he wants a 'young Link presence.' I doubt a background NPC will be the extent of that. The Link we've seen so far in the trailer is by far the oldest looking Link we've ever had. Given that the next two Zelda releases feature younger Link characters, I'm still pretty confident one of them will show up, in all likelihood with the other as an alternate costume/thematic palette swap.

It also wouldn't be all that hard to code a switch which makes Alfonso drive the train in matches when Toon Link is playing.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
A link between worlds Link will be in this character slot. There is no more discution. We all know that. I better use this space to beg all human in the world to request Ike the return of Ike. I know sakurai is tired, TIIIRED of reading requests all the day but pleaaaase. Ike is the beeest brawler.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
A link between worlds Link will be in this character slot. There is no more discution. We all know that. I better use this space to beg all human in the world to request Ike the return of Ike. I know sakurai is tired, TIIIRED of reading requests all the day but pleaaaase. Ike is the beeest brawler.
Except that this is the Toon Link thread, so we're going to go ahead and continue discussing Toon Link.

I would also like to see Ike return, but I don't know the Fire Emblem series well so I'm happy enough to defer to others about that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm just afraid that they've cut him because he's in the train stage :/
I mean, I know that doesn't 100% mean anything, but it's scary

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't count Toon Link out just yet. Spirit Tracks Link may just be the ancestor of Wind Waker Link for all we know.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't count Toon Link out just yet. Spirit Tracks Link may just be the ancestor of Wind Waker Link for all we know.

Indeed, this is probably just another 75m Donkey Kong type thing going on. The Toon Link in Brawl and the one on the Spirit Train stage are two completely different people. So it shouldn't really affect his chances really. I do hope some interviewer or someone would ask Sakurai for clarification though...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

"[Spirit Tracks] is set a hundred years after the events of its predecessor in the new land discovered by Link and Tetra, New Hyrule"

So, we know for sure that Spirit Tracks Link isn't the same character as Wind Waker Link. I think it's generally assumed that the different Links aren't directly related to one another, though (since there's a frequently implied romance between Link and Zelda, so if each Link was descended from another Link, it'd be incestuous)

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I don't think the T.link on the train is the same , because its style is like the one in ST wich has a different style than the T.link we know.

ex:The hair style.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not to mention the Train Conductors outfit. Toon Link would likely fight in his regular Tunic (with maybe his pajama's as alt)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So does this rule out the Conductors outfit alternate costumes/ Alternate costumes in general.
Or should I apply Rule# 4: Nintendo/Game Logic

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So does this rule out the Conductors outfit alternate costumes/ Alternate costumes in general.
Or should I apply Rule# 4: Nintendo/Game Logic

Well at least for the 3DS version I guess... Since the Spirit Train stage will be an exclusive stage for the 3DS I believe. :/

If Toon Link is getting any alternate costumes. It would likely be the Pajama I guess.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well at least for the 3DS version I guess... Since the Spirit Train stage will be an exclusive stage for the 3DS I believe. :/

If Toon Link is getting any alternate costumes. It would likely be the Pajama I guess.
As far as I know the only thing that will differ are the stages.
But who knows, costumes maybe left out on the 3DS version due to graphical/system limitations.

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
That would be awesome if there ended up being 3 Links. Almost as awesome as 3 Dededes. I can see it now...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
That would be awesome if there ended up being 3 Links. Almost as awesome as 3 Dededes. I can see it now...

Heh, well, Link has the benefit of actually being a number of different characters throughout the Zelda timeline(s). How many different incarnations of Link have there been, anyway? Like, seven?

TL just needs new specials to differentiate himself from the realistic adult Link. He's certainly had enough different tools to be a completely different character...

I just want the moveset I made for him. Is that too much to ask for, Sakurai?!

Zuby

Smash Journeyman

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/wii-u-and-3ds-smash-bros-will-not-have-cross-platform-play-wil/

Sakurai's comments on costumes don't exactly fill me with confidence about pyjamas and conductor outfits, but we all know he's being intentionally vague with his statements to keep us guessing / avoid promising something that can't be delivered.

kalvar

Smash Rookie
In one of the videos it showed Toon Link as a background character in the spirit tracks stage as a conductor, so I doubt he will come back, wouldn't make much sense for him to be playable and a background character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
In one of the videos it showed Toon Link as a background character in the spirit tracks stage as a conductor, so I doubt he will come back, wouldn't make much sense for him to be playable and a background character.
Did you read through the thread?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm kinda tempted to make a writing about Toon Link and smash bros for Wii U and 3DS but I wonder if I will only be wasting my time on deaf ears...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm kinda tempted to make a writing about Toon Link and smash bros for Wii U and 3DS but I wonder if I will only be wasting my time on deaf ears...

Although I am unsure about Toon Link returning myself, I for one would like to hear what you have to say. Perhaps you can even change some people's minds on his chances? You'll never know till you try.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Alright, I guess I'll do that then. :)
I'd consider just listing your points in an easy to read list format
-Toon link is bla bla bla, therefore bla bla bla
-Toon Link other thing bla

I think walls of text, even properly formatted, get skipped over a lot.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd consider just listing your points in an easy to read list format
-Toon link is bla bla bla, therefore bla bla bla
-Toon Link other thing bla

I think walls of text, even properly formatted, get skipped over a lot.

I'll try my best to make it as easy to read as I can.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Okay, this will be my writing about Toon Link and his chances of returning in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.

During the Trailer, we got a view of one particular stage that originated from one of the Zelda game's. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. And it featured the appearance of the main hero of that game. Link.

Now after seeing this image, many people came to the conclusion that this meant that Toon Link has been cut from the game. However, I would argue otherwise about this.

First and foremost, we had something like this happen before where a certain character in name was both a playable character and a stage element in Brawl as well. Meet Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong.

Now you will likely argue that the Donkey Kong in the 75m stage is not Donkey Kong, but Cranky Kong from the Donkey Kong Country series.

Although it is true that he is now known as Cranky Kong, the original Arcade Cranky Kong is still called Donkey Kong to this very day and Nintendo still refers to the Arcade version as Donkey Kong and not Cranky Kong.
In other words. He is only called Cranky Kong when he looks like the way he is portrayed in the Donkey Kong Country series. Otherwise he is known as Donkey Kong and thus both Donkey Kong's have coexisted alongside each other in Brawl.

Now you will likely say that the both of them are still not the same apes and are both completely different entity's. That is true. But this also rings true for Toon Link. The Toon Link who was playable in Brawl was the one from The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. The one we see featured in the Spirit Train is a hero born many years after WW Link and Tetra have found the new land.

In other words, this is not the Toon Link from Brawl!

Now that we have got that little confusion out of the way. I'd like to analyse the screenshot again in order to get a better understanding of Toon Link's chances for Smash Wii U and 3DS.

There are two things we can notice on this "Toon Link", I'll call him ST Link (Spirit Tracks Link) for now in order to avoid confusions.

Notice how he is not wearing the green tunic as he is driving the Spirit Train? Instead he is sporting the Train Conductors outfit he gets seen in at the beginning of that game. Of course it is possible to optionally wear that outfit once you have shown all the stamps to Niko. Canonically though, he went through his adventure with the Green Tunic Zelda gave to him in order to help her sneak past the guards.

There is also the fact that ST Link is very under detailed compared to what the 3DS system is actually capable of. This could show that Sakurai wanted to have ST Link the way he was shown on the DS game on this stage.

Now why do I bring these two points up? If Toon Link were to return, he will obviously be wearing his green tunic. This is common sense of course. He will also look a lot more like he does in Wind Waker and Brawl as the 3DS is more than capable to produce graphics superior to what the DS could do as you can clearly see in that image between ST Link and TP Link.

The fact that ST Link looks like this and is wearing that outfit and not the green tunic could be chosen to differentiate ST Link and WW Link in order for people to not confuse the two of them as they are playing on that stage.

In other words, even if this is evidence of Toon Link's removal. This can also be evidence of his return.
Of course I'm not saying that this means that Toon Link is definitely coming back, but this isn't really good enough evidence of him being cut. That's all.

Hope you had a good read. I'm thinking of doing a part 2 with Toon Link and his current two rivals, Young Link and Classic Link but I'm not sure about it yet...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That was a nice read, Kikwi-Kiwi. :)

I think I'll do the part 2. I'll give it a try.

From what we know, Sakurai believes a 2nd Link is necessary to represent the Zelda series. We have 3 variations of Link for that spot - Young Link, Classic Link and Toon Link.

First off, I'll make a list of games for each Link including remakes:

Toon Link

The Wind Waker
Four Swords
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Wind Waker HD

Young Link
Ocarina of Time​
Majora's Mask​
Ocarina of Time 3D​
Classic Link
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
The Oracle of Seasons
The Oracle of Ages
A Link between Worlds

So we see that Toon Link and Classic Link are considerably more important to the series than Young Link. So it comes down to between the two.

So I'll make a list of arguments that people to decide between them:

- Relevancy or Recency arguments don't work in either's favour, simply because both of them have games which will be out soon. (Wing Waker HD for Toon Limk, A Link Between Worlds for Classic Link)

- Toon Link has one advantage over Classic Link in that he is a series veteran, and as we saw with Link's design, Sakurai opted to keep the Brawl appearance and updated it. He might decide to do the same with Toon Link.

- In terms of appearance, Toon Link provides a much greater contrast to TP Link than either Young Link or Classic Link. (Much different body proportions)

- The visual style of the new Smash Bros. aims towards a more vibrant and colourful style than Brawl, meaning that it will be easier to incorporate Toon Link than in Brawl. Granted, this is probably a weak argument as it doesn't favour anyone much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I think will happen.

If you have seen the gameplay videos of "A Link between Worlds", you will notice that Classic Link's in-game body proportions are very close to Toon Link's. I find it very likely that Sakurai will include both of them as alts for a unified 2nd Link. This is my gut feeling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I hope this was a good read. :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nice one, Falkoopa. To add to that.

Seeing as how there is a Gerudo Valley stage in the 3DS version, I don't think this solidifies Young Link's return very much just yet. Seeing as how we have got Skyloft as a stage in the Wii U version yet no sign of Skyward Sword Link. Instead, we got Twilight Princess Link again. I think this stage represents Ganondorf's return more than it does Young Link as this is his home area. Not to mention that again, Link isn't based off his Ocarina of Time design again, but the Twilight Princess design.

Perhaps, if Toon Link were to be unlocked, we may get a Phantom Hourglass stage alongside him in the 3DS version and a Wind Waker stage in the Wii U version as we did with the Pirate Ship stage in Brawl... But of course that's just speculation.

So if Link (And Fox) is anything to go by, I would think that Sakurai decided not to play into this whole "flavor of the month" type thing as he did in Brawl and just keep Toon Link instead of wasting his time designing another Link who would essentially just be the same thing as his predecessors were. (Of course there is Samus who is based off her Other M design now, but I'm just going to hope we won't be getting too many of these types of changes...)

At least I hope so. I don't really want either Classic Link or Young Link. I want my Toon Link in the game once more.

Currently it's very hard to tell what his fate would be, I hope he returns though...

I do agree though that both Classic Link and Toon Link could become alternate costumes of each other as Classic Link shares the same voice and body proportions as Toon Link.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I do agree though that both Classic Link and Toon Link could become alternate costumes of each other as Classic Link shares the same voice and body proportions as Toon Link.
Plus Toon Link had a Classic Link inspired alternate colouring in Brawl, so the designers obviously aren't averse to comparing the two.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Sakurai DID say he would cut out some vets in Smash 4 to bring in some newcomers.....
Source?

I won't believe it until I get a source.
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533
The quote that answers your question:
'And what about returning characters? I knew Sakurai wouldn't want to get too specific—Nintendo likes to announce characters for their big mascot fighting series with a dripfeed of news on the Smash Bros. Dojo website—but should fans expect all of their favorites from Melee and Brawl?

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."'

This is evidence that TL may very well be cut.

Also, just gonna re-post this...
If there's going to be only one Link in Smash, it should be a more recent one, IMO. TL shouldn't be kept in when we could be having SS Link.

Here's my logic. YL and Adult Link made sense in Melee because the latest LoZ games at the time, I believe, were OoT and MM. The 'main Link' was played as both a 9 year old child and a 16 year old adolescent. In all honesty, Brawl could have had only TL or only TP Link and it would have been fine. Either one could have passed off as a 'main Link'. However, Sakurai wanted to keep some semblance of the Adult Link/YL duo in Brawl, so he went with the two most recent Links who so happened to coincide with that format. In other words, both Links were 'main Links'. Sakurai could very well decide that he wants to keep that Link/YL duo in Smash 4, but it honestly wouldn't make much sense if he eliminated part of that duo AND maintained a Link who isn't even [close to] the most recent Link. I wouldn't want TL to be my only Link in Smash 4 when I know I could have gotten SS Link with his interesting, revamped kit.

This is also possibly my strongest argument that TL will be eliminated for Smash 4 unless Sakurai explicitly wants to keep the Adult/Young duo.
In other words, I doubt TL will return because he's not the most recent iteration and we already have a Link confirmed (TP Link) who also isn't the most recent one. Sakurai has already stated that he really wants to include things from current-gen consoles. I believe this time, either TP Link will remain alone as the sole 'main Link' or a more recent 'Young Link' will replace TL, such as the one from A Link Between Worlds. In all honesty though, and in light of that quote from the article I just linked, I believe TL will just be cut and TP Link will remain as the only Link. If I was going to replace WW TL with a more recent 'Young Link', it would have been ST TL, but that idea is kinda shot and I doubt that A Link Between Worlds Link would actually qualify as a suitable 'Young Link'.

So Spirit Tracks Link is out but Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link is still possible.
This just doesn't make sense to me. Sakurai said that he wanted to include recent things from current games/consoles, so it just seems illogical that he would keep TP Link AND WW TL when he could have had either SS Link or ST TL. I doubt he'd make two exceptions to the rule he's actually been following since SSB 64.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
If remakes count, then OoT YL is just as likely as WW TL.

Also, looking at the LoZ timeline, I think I may just understand Sakurai's decision to keep TP Link over SS Link. At the time of SSB 64, the last LoZ game in the timeline was OoT. The same goes for Melee. When Brawl was released, the games at the end of the two timelines where Link was victorious are TP and WW. By now, only one of those games has changed, and surprise, surprise, it's NOT TP. It's WW (to ST). SS, on the other hand, is at the beginning of the LoZ timeline, and now that I think about it, that would be a good enough reason for SS Link to not be a very good inclusion. Why would he suddenly be invited into the fray after the previous entrances of his spiritual descendants hundreds of years down the line, assuming that the SSB series does have some form of chronological ordering (which it implies)? It makes more sense to continue on with what time has yielded, and time allowed TP to remain at the end of its respective timeline while usurping WW and replacing it with ST. However, ST TL has practically been deconfirmed, going by that snapshot with him in the background. For me, this is just further evidence that TL will not make a reappearance. If ST was the latest LoZ game in its respective timeline and ST TL isn't being featured, then I just think that TP Link is being left alone as the single 'main Link'.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well they did include gerudo valley as a rep for The 3d Ocarina remake and the current Link is 50% Skyward Sword and 50% Twilight Princess.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This just doesn't make sense to me. Sakurai said that he wanted to include recent things from current games/consoles, so it just seems illogical that he would keep TP Link AND WW TL when he could have had either SS Link or ST TL. I doubt he'd make two exceptions to the rule he's actually been following since SSB 64.

Please show me proof where he stated he will only include the most recent "thing's" in smash because the very fact that Link is still in his Twilight Princess design and Fox being in his Starfox Command design kinda throws it out of the window. If he were to go solely with what's "recent" then Link should have been updated to either his Ocarina of Time 3D or Skyward Sword design and Fox to his Starfox 64 3D design. Plus there is the fact that there is a Wind Waker HD remake coming up so even if it's true. Toon Link is still "recent."

If remakes count, then OoT YL is just as likely as WW TL.

Also, looking at the LoZ timeline, I think I may just understand Sakurai's decision to keep TP Link over SS Link. At the time of SSB 64, the last LoZ game in the timeline was OoT. The same goes for Melee. When Brawl was released, the games at the end of the two timelines where Link was victorious are TP and WW. By now, only one of those games has changed, and surprise, surprise, it's NOT TP. It's WW (to ST). SS, on the other hand, is at the beginning of the LoZ timeline, and now that I think about it, that would be a good enough reason for SS Link to not be a very good inclusion. Why would he suddenly be invited into the fray after the previous entrances of his spiritual descendants hundreds of years down the line, assuming that the SSB series does have some form of chronological ordering (which it implies)? It makes more sense to continue on with what time has yielded, and time allowed TP to remain at the end of its respective timeline while usurping WW and replacing it with ST. However, ST TL has practically been deconfirmed, going by that snapshot with him in the background. For me, this is just further evidence that TL will not make a reappearance. If ST was the latest LoZ game in its respective timeline and ST TL isn't being featured, then I just think that TP Link is being left alone as the single 'main Link'.

I highly doubt Sakurai cares very much about what is going on in the Zelda timeline if at all. Plus this very reason is flawed as the most recent happening in the Child Timeline is Four Swords Adventures if you look at the official timeline and not Twilight Princess. I'm sorry, but that's a very poor argument. :glare:

Well they did include gerudo valley as a rep for The 3d Ocarina remake and the current Link is 50% Skyward Sword and 50% Twilight Princess.

Eh I'd say Link is more 95% Twilight Princess 5% Skyward Sword. Link still uses the bombs and bow from Twilight Princess and he still has the same voice from that game, his tunic and everything is still the same as the one in Twilight Princess and Brawl, not to mention he is still holding his sword at his left hand instead of the right. The only thing I guess they may have in common is the brighter textures but that may be because the entire game itself has been brightened up now.

I guess we will have to wait until we see Zelda, if she still looks the same as she did in Brawl and Twilight Princess then we can definitely confirm that they are still in their Twilight Princess style.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sakurai didn't make an exception. He threw the rule out of the window.

There have been two exceptions already. Link, and then Fox, like Kikwi-Kiwi said.

Also, looking at the LoZ timeline, I think I may just understand Sakurai's decision to keep TP Link over SS Link. At the time of SSB 64, the last LoZ game in the timeline was OoT. The same goes for Melee. When Brawl was released, the games at the end of the two timelines where Link was victorious are TP and WW. By now, only one of those games has changed, and surprise, surprise, it's NOT TP. It's WW (to ST). SS, on the other hand, is at the beginning of the LoZ timeline, and now that I think about it, that would be a good enough reason for SS Link to not be a very good inclusion. Why would he suddenly be invited into the fray after the previous entrances of his spiritual descendants hundreds of years down the line, assuming that the SSB series does have some form of chronological ordering (which it implies)?
LOL at this. You really think the Zelda timeline would affect Sakurai's decision on how a Zelda character looks like? TP Link (or Brawl Link, for that matter) is arguably the best looking Link ever. Sakurai could simply have wanted to keep his Brawl appearance because of that.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I still can't believe people are still rooting for another version of Link, It's a shame to say the least Sakurai made that look like a trend in melee and brawl, it show how much lazy he can become but to see people cheering for him for putting 2 versions of the same character in one game the existence of Toon Link was hurting Link competitive status, I say good riddance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I still can't believe people are still rooting for another version of Link, It's a shame to say the least Sakurai made that look like a trend in melee and brawl, it show how much lazy he can become but to see people cheering for him for putting 2 versions of the same character in one game the existence of Toon Link was hurting Link competitive status, I say good riddance.
Get out.

Top Bottom