• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I still think the inclusion of TL takes up a spot that could be used for another character.

Even if we assume that it only takes the spot of a Zelda character, that still sucks. We don't need two fairy dudes named Link. They're different iterations of the same character. There are plenty of unique Zelda characters which could diversify the cast, AND make fans happy. Skull Kid is the best choice in my opinion.

I also agree about PT. PT could be cut and nothing of value would be lost.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Tbh, I'd actually like for more pokes to be added, and I'd also like for the PT Pokemon to be separated. As for LoZ chars, I can't really see many other chars with enough diversity and room for expansion to be added. For me, I'd like Impa to become a character. She's recently seen a lot of action in Skyward Sword, and an incarnation of her has constantly been in nearly every very LoZ game. Also, if MM is really re-done, perhaps Link and YL/TL could be combined into the MM Link (all the masks + Fierce Deity)?

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
So you'd be okay with like 6-7+ slots for different Pokemon? Just curious.
Also, the Zelda suggestions seem good, especially Impa. But honestly, Skull Kid would be great. I think if they do remake MM for 3DS it should be Skull Kid to get in rather than Masked Link.

Besides how unique and awesome his moveset would be, here are some other reasons:
For one, he'd have the same problem, as TL. The fact that he's Link and that's annoying. Secondly, Skull Kid is more recurring than Impa/MM Link. He's not just from MM. He's in at least Oot and TP too. Come to think of it, he is also sort of marionette-like, and could be a sort of happy medium for the few Geno fans.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
As long as the Pokemon are radically different, I could support that many slots being given to the Pokemon. We already give six (eight if you count DK and Diddy) slots to Mario series chars. Also, Impa is definitely more recurring than the Skull Kid. She's been in nearly every LoZ game, including the 2D ones. You may not have recognized her, because she wasn't always the slim/muscular Impa that we recognize from OoT and SS.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I actually was just talking about Masked Link, but for some reason I wrote Impa as well. I honestly have no explanation for that other than I wasn't paying much attention. You're right, Impa is in a lot of Zeldas. Impa would be cool. But she may be very Sheik-like.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tbh, I'd actually like for more pokes to be added, and I'd also like for the PT Pokemon to be separated. As for LoZ chars, I can't really see many other chars with enough diversity and room for expansion to be added. For me, I'd like Impa to become a character. She's recently seen a lot of action in Skyward Sword, and an incarnation of her has constantly been in nearly every very LoZ game. Also, if MM is really re-done, perhaps Link and YL/TL could be combined into the MM Link (all the masks + Fierce Deity)?
IMPA!

*bro fist*

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
A MM link would be pretty daunting- it'd basically be another Pokemon trainer sort of character, except with potentially four entirely transformations (deku, goron, zora, hylian). I think it's fair to say that simply won't happen, even if it'd be really fun.

I am personally in the camp that each of his B-moves should be decloned and turned into one item from each of the games he's in, starting with the Deku Leaf as his side-B. I'd be fine with him no longer being as good at zoning.

And I think Impa should just take Sheik's moveset and turn Zelda into a separate, un-transforming character. But I bet that won't happen. I just would prefer two separate characters with a unique down-B to one transforming character.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
I think (hope) Toon Link has a good chance at being in SSB4, especially with the HD Wind Waker coming in the fall. Him being in SSB4 will be a good promotion type thing for it. Also, as many have already posted, his moveset needs to be changed, not entirely, but enough so he's not just seen as a "clone" of Link.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I think he's safe as houses for two reasons:

1) Sakurai on record saying he wants a young Link presence
2) He's been in 7 of the last 10 Zelda releases (including WWWU)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wind Waker HD is more than enough to expect Toon Link back.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Hopefully they change up his specials. I feel like the reason why link was a low tier character in brawl is because they tried to make toon link and him different by changing up speeds and damages. That shouldn't needs to happen.

Toon link needs some different items to use.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
More Luigification in his moves would be good enough. Dont think Link will have a Boomerang for example. And Toon Link has elemental Arrows and a different Spin Attack; Hurricane Spin. This would be enough to make them different. And Link or Toon Link could have a different attack for Down B for all I care.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skyward Strike please. Beetle is not so cool.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Skyward strike is easily upB, and I think Beetle would be pretty cool. Perhaps it could be guided, like Snake's Nikita, or maybe it could be self-guiding a la Samus' homing missiles. It would be awesome if it could carry bombs and be involved in some form of set-up play. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I had to force myself to like the Beetle in Slyward Sword. It's one of the few things I don't really like about the game. Had to speak it out with a Japanese accent everytime I used it. But using Bombs with it is pretty cool. Still, I will probably always think it's a shame TP Link didnt use Bomb Arrows in Brawl.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
If Toon Link got taken out I would be pretty upset. But I think Wind Waker HD all but confirms that he will return.

This time in Smash 4, he should actually be cel shaded though.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I had to force myself to like the Beetle in Slyward Sword. It's one of the few things I don't really like about the game. Had to speak it out with a Japanese accent everytime I used it. But using Bombs with it is pretty cool. Still, I will probably always think it's a shame TP Link didnt use Bomb Arrows in Brawl.
Really? I found the beetle to be one of my favorite items in recent memory, it was just so versatile and with its upgrades it continued to be even more helpful later on. I definitely think the beetle would be a good replacement for normal link's boomerang, it could work like snakes missile or just work like the boomerang did by it releasing with its distance depending on how far you want it to go, thus it would make its route and then return to you.

As for toon link, to be honest id rather he didnt return, i understand many like him but i still dont believe its necessary to splinter off the same character just to represent a different art style that was used for a portion of the series. Im sure it would be nice if they did make him different enough, but at this point im willing to bet sakurai will just end up doing the same thing they did with him last time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Toon Link was already fine the way he was in Brawl actually. If anything, I'd want to change regular Link's moveset more. Vertical spin attack, rapid slashing, Skyward Strike are especially things I'd want.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I think Toon Link was already fine the way he was in Brawl actually. If anything, I'd want to change regular Link's moveset more. Vertical spin attack, rapid slashing, Skyward Strike are especially things I'd want.
I agree; I think the more obvious and logical changes can be made to regular Link. Though I did like the Deku Leaf for Toon Link idea that was floating around here.

Namelessthinker

Smash Rookie
I agree; I think the more obvious and logical changes can be made to regular Link. Though I did like the Deku Leaf for Toon Link idea that was floating around here.
I like regular link being utter garbage though. It's easier to beat him to a pulp.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Given that Toon Link is the better of the two, maybe Adult Link is the one who needs his moves changed. I don't think it'll happen, but there's still a small chance. But if Toon Links moves are changed hopefully they'll use some of the Wind Waker weapons. Iron Boots, Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer, Fire/Ice arrows, and maybe that Force field thing he used. Those could make for some decent moves.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I still think the inclusion of TL takes up a spot that could be used for another character.

Even if we assume that it only takes the spot of a Zelda character, that still sucks. We don't need two fairy dudes named Link. They're different iterations of the same character. There are plenty of unique Zelda characters which could diversify the cast, AND make fans happy. Skull Kid is the best choice in my opinion.
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS

lol, Toon Link is the only character I could consistently stand to play as.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Given that Toon Link is the better of the two, maybe Adult Link is the one who needs his moves changed. I don't think it'll happen, but there's still a small chance. But if Toon Links moves are changed hopefully they'll use some of the Wind Waker weapons. Iron Boots, Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer, Fire/Ice arrows, and maybe that Force field thing he used. Those could make for some decent moves.
Skull Kid hasn't bee important in a decade. There are better Zelda choices than him. Like Toon Link. :p

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Alright, here are the things I want different for Toon Link:
I want his forward smash to be him leaping forward and slicing down. Adult Link has form and style, while Young Link/Toon Link should be gritting his teeth and putting his all in every hit. His up smash is a perfect example of what his attacks should look like... leaping and swinging with reckless abandon and young courage.
Also, it could be fun if his Down Smash was him taking out the shovel and digging- first it'd hit behind him, and then he'd fling damaging dirt in front.

Most importantly: entirely different specials.

Up B​
HURRICANE SPIN
(Wind Waker)​
Yes, spin attack, but it can be charged about twice as long. As it charges, the duration of the spin and the hit radius increase and it behaves fairly differently on ground vs. in air.
In Air
Tap: Very similar to how it is in Brawl except he always is spinning perpendicular to the direction he's moving.
Partial charge: Same as the tap, just continues longer proportional to the length charged.
Full charge: He shoots straight up vertically an ABSURD amount, helicoptering like one of those toys you spin in between your hands to make them fly. While the fully charged attack does bring him higher than any other special, when the spin ends he's left dizzy and unable to act for a half-second as he freefalls. Ultimately, however, it is an excellent recovery move with any level of charge.

On Ground
Tap: He does the multi-hit spin much like Brawl's.
Partial charge: Pretty much like Brawl's fully charged spin, though the hit radius does increase slightly.
Full charge: Turns into the Hurricane Spin, where the player can control TL as he erratically sways back and forth on ground he's on. At the end, he's left dizzy for a half-second. Note: If he drops off an edge, he finishes the spin-time helicoptering into the air.

Side B​
DEKU LEAF
(Wind Waker)​
The Deku Leaf in SSB would act exactly as it did in Wind Waker.
In Air: He unfurls the Deku Leaf and starts to glide. The leaf itself does damage and blocks projectiles.
On Ground: He raises the leaf up high and flaps it as hard as he can, sending a blast of wind across the stage to blow away enemies and objects. Also deflects physical projectiles (not reflect- deflected projectiles won't hit enemies).

Neutral B​
GRAPPLING HOOK
(Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass)​
As he holds down the B button, TL swings the Grappling Hook around in a circle, hurting enemies/objects that it hits. When B is released, the grapple is thrown in the direction indicated (or straight forward if no direction is pushed). This move is a tether recovery. If it hits an enemy that is holding a small item, the grappling hook steals it and brings it back to TL's hand. If TL is already holding something, the item instead drops to the floor.​
Down B​
MOLE MITTS
(Minish Cap)​
When TL dons these clawed paws, he can dig through dirt.​
Air: While the button's held, he starts clawing downward quickly as if trying to dig. The rapid scratches hurt enemies continuously, and if TL hits the ground while clawing he starts doing the ground move.​
Ground: TL starts clawing away at the ground to dig underneath. After a few seconds of being invisible underground, he erupts out of the ground in a clawed burst, knocking foes upward. Controlling where Link jumps out is similar to controlling the Super Star item.​

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Trust me, I know exactly how unlikely and/or irrelevant that character has been as of late. My point still stands about Toon Link, however.

He not only wastes a spot, in my opinion, but he also makes another character completely useless. There is like, no advantage to using Link over Toon Link in Brawl. Link is terrible, lol.

I hate to come here and oppose a character people obviously like though, so sorry about that.

Toon Link to me is kind of like the Krystal of the Zelda series- he represents the beginning of its decline.

:)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Toon Link to me is kind of like the Krystal of the Zelda series- he represents the beginning of its decline.

Most people consider Wind Waker as the last monumental Zelda game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

>Compares Toon Link to Krystal

You serious?

Wind Waker was a masterpiece. One of the best games I ever played.

And since when is Zelda declining? Skyward Sword was a superb game and among the best I've played as well.

This is all subjective, I must admit...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wish I had played Wink Waker. :urg:

Oh well, I'll pick it up along with Smash 4 when I get a Wii U.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
He not only wastes a spot, in my opinion, but he also makes another character completely useless. There is like, no advantage to using Link over Toon Link in Brawl. Link is terrible, lol.
Toon Link not being in the roster wouldn't make Link any better.

What did you just say...?

Top Bottom