• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Those Who Favor Brawl, Let's Finally Admit It...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
So yeah, after reading like 12 pages of this thread I got bored because its always the same thing. Probably no one will see/read this post, but it doesn't matter, I just wanna say what I think.
Melee was a good game, both casual and competitive. Most of the people played melee in a casual way, and still enjoyed alot. It became competitive thanks to the advanced techniques that were found and people who found this was fun and saw a totally new form to play the game started using these stuff, why? Because it made, for us the competitive players, the game way more fun and heart racing than just casual play. I remember my first melee tournament, I lost on the first round. I lost horribly, 3-stocked. But I stayed around and watched the competitive players using those strange techniques and such, after asking them I started practicing. After 3-4 tourneys after that one I started to see a progress and it really felt good, to think that those people who used to kick my *** are now losing against me. I never did win a big tournament, but still, to know that I had become one of the best players where I lived made me feel really good inside.
And now comes Brawl, where there are basically no competitive scene, no real advanced techniques, because the ones that exist now are character-specific. And yes, now casual players can play to the level of pro players in melee because of this, but still players who were good in melee are still winning, why? Well, because they have mind games and strategies, you gain that with fight experience, not practicing tech skill. And yes, as much as I think that mind games and strategies beat advanced techniques I keep thinking that advanced techniques make a game more competitive, beacuse it adds depth to the game.
So, Brawl is competitive yeah but Melee is much more competitive than Brawl will ever be, or at least if it stays this way, I really hope it gets better. I will keep playing both Melee and Brawl because I really enjoy both games, but just as I said before I hope Brawl gets more competitive.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
So yeah, after reading like 12 pages of this thread I got bored because its always the same thing. Probably no one will see/read this post, but it doesn't matter, I just wanna say what I think.
Melee was a good game, both casual and competitive. Most of the people played melee in a casual way, and still enjoyed alot. It became competitive thanks to the advanced techniques that were found and people who found this was fun and saw a totally new form to play the game started using these stuff, why? Because it made, for us the competitive players, the game way more fun and heart racing than just casual play. I remember my first melee tournament, I lost on the first round. I lost horribly, 3-stocked. But I stayed around and watched the competitive players using those strange techniques and such, after asking them I started practicing. After 3-4 tourneys after that one I started to see a progress and it really felt good, to think that those people who used to kick my *** are now losing against me. I never did win a big tournament, but still, to know that I had become one of the best players where I lived made me feel really good inside.
And now comes Brawl, where there are basically no competitive scene, no real advanced techniques, because the ones that exist now are character-specific. And yes, now casual players can play to the level of pro players in melee because of this, but still players who were good in melee are still winning, why? Well, because they have mind games and strategies, you gain that with fight experience, not practicing tech skill. And yes, as much as I think that mind games and strategies beat advanced techniques I keep thinking that advanced techniques make a game more competitive, beacuse it adds depth to the game.
So, Brawl is competitive yeah but Melee is much more competitive than Brawl will ever be, or at least if it stays this way, I really hope it gets better. I will keep playing both Melee and Brawl because I really enjoy both games, but just as I said before I hope Brawl gets more competitive.
I think you actually did a pretty good and even job of summing both games up. Brawl IS competitive, and has potential to become more competitive, but Melee is more competitive, because of the depth AT's add to the game. This post has actually kinda-sorta changed my views a bit. However I still think Brawl has potential to become a lot more competitive.

Great post!

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
you know what.. im ********... the lesser experienced melee player really summed up all us "pros" views on melee and why we dont like brawl as much... gg trail = noob.

L__

Smash Master
One word. Beautiful.

LOL.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Finally, an intelligent post!

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman

You deserve a medal. What you say pretty much sums up the problem.
Melee is more competitive than brawl, people enjoy both, no problem, debate over :D

L__

Smash Master
Although that is correct, think of the ones with no logic in their arguments whatsoever. Hehe,

inb4retardedpost

Corigames

Smash Hero
For me it simply is.

However the same people whom post in every other thread insulting one game or the other haven't seen the point yet.
Or we have seen the point, shown it in many cases, have to repeat ourselves over and over again, got bored with trying, and then ended up flaming everything. I've posted my serious opinion on the subject a thousand times by now, but new people keep showing up and trying to fight conversations that have been said many times before thinking they are something different. It's annoying and I'm sure I speak for other people when I say we are fed up.

I hope there can more advanced ways to play Brawl, but, until then, I think that Melee will be the better choice in deciding who is a better player between two people.

Corigames

Smash Hero
And, does a post like the one you just made help this issue? A post like that would appear to just be there to make me angry, to which I would respond with a negative post.

No, it is not by my hand alone that there is a problem, look at yourself.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
I think this is what saddens me the most about SWF now. I like both games; I really do. I defend Brawl because the Melee doesn't need defending, basically (I'm always Devil's Advocate), but if Melee did need defending from anything, I'd defend it in a heartbeat, too.

But, that makes me an idiot and a no-talent.

HoChiMinhTrail's post above is a textbook example of a guy who thinks saying a douchy thing in a more moderate way makes it less douchy. I'm sure he's a great dude offline, but when it comes down to it, that post means 'listen, Brawl sucks compared to Melee, and if you play Brawl and not Melee, you have something wrong with you.' Personal taste never figures into the equation. What if your personal taste allows you to sacrifice Wavedashing to have a slower game? Well, simply put, if you enjoy that, you must be either a casual or an idiot. Or you at least don't know anything about competitive play and must read Sirlin moar, because if you knew anything, you'd never ever like Brawl.

It's ridiculous that people who genuinely want to play Brawl competitively (AND WHO ENJOY IT) are badmouthed so much just because Melee isn't their thing. It shouldn't matter, but it does, and it makes me doubt our community because it seems like this is going to be one of those problems that creates a schism: one group is going to take the other out not because it needs to be done, but because both sides are too narrow-minded to allow the other to exist.
point taken, Jack; thanks for that post. i am done arguing this brawl or melee topic.

i'd like to apologize for ever doing so and somewhat lamely defend myself by saying i was disillusioned by the notion that i have been talking to those who disliked melee for the advanced techs, claim to like brawl for the lack of advanced techs, and are at the same time trying to discover new advanced techs.

once again, i'm sorry.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Actually, yes. I'm trying to get you to sign a treaty that says we all know the issue and agree to leave each other alone. I think it's obvious that people just want threads like this to go away so that we can, I don't know, play the game(s) that we like without being badmouthed for choosing the 'wrong' form of entertainment. If you want to keep a debate going that few people want to keep going, then feel free to... but know that you are compounding a problem that people want taken care of (as is evidenced by support for the treaty thread).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Treaty Thread? Seriously?

Screw that.
Coreygames, I hate to say this, because I'm sure you're a swell, intelligent guy and all... but consider yourself ignored. I'm not about to keep talking to some dude who is so ingrained in his own ego that he actually wants to keep a massive argument (one that's been steadily destroying the community) going for the sake of... honestly, I don't even know anymore. The only reason I can think anyone wants the debate to go on is if they are aiming for the complete destruction of either competitive Brawl or competitive Melee, and in either case, that's not the kind of person I want to be associated with.

Intolerance... will not be tolerated.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
It's better than everything else in GBD. If they weren't doing this, they probably wouldn't be here at all.

I know I wouldn't.
Here's a thought... just don't come to GBD. If there is nothing else for you to do here but fight, and if for some ridiculous reason you enjoy that, just go to the Debate Hall.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Seriously I added you to my ignore list yesterday because of how stupid you love to act, I removed you to see if you changed :confused: but this

Consider yourself added forever.

The solution for your type
Do you really think I, or anyone else for that matter, cares? Have fun with your ignore list.

rhan

Smash Hero
Only reason people add people to an ignore list is because they owned you in a conversation and made you feel stupid. :]

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
OP, I hope you're happy with yourself. You've made a thread that's moved us one step closer to Brawl dying (oh wait, that's what everyone wants, isn't it?), no market for Smash, no SSB4 released, and thus the death of the Smash Brothers series (which ostensibly is better than Brawl).

Ugh, I'm in such a bad mood today.

L__

Smash Master
Personally, I'd be happy with everyone having some logic for once. Is anyone out there getting rather bored on hearing the same things in different threads and different forms? I mean honestly, I've heard some Brawl vs. Melee topics that are getting quite absurd. Hopefully we can put some sense into those that severely need it. All people of all posts and join dates have made decent posts, meanwhile the others are busy fighting a war without weapons. I'm not even exactly sure that the "crisis" we're having over Brawl vs. Melee is ever going to move.

rhan

Smash Hero
Brawl isn't gonna die. No one reads these forums throughly. Brawl will still be alive until people see that the game has many broken points to it. Brawl isn't even close to dying. It's just getting started.

EDIT: I'm not a brawl supporter. I like all the games of smash. I just like some more then others.

@Suspect: I speak truth. Nuff said.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Coreygames, I hate to say this, because I'm sure you're a swell, intelligent guy and all... but consider yourself ignored.
Oh no. Let me go cry. No really... hold on. I'll be back in a few minutes when I can come to grips with the fact that I've made yet another ignore list. I'm sure my feelings are hurt.

What does getting ignored even do? Doesn't it just block my PM's? Because that's going to do you good.

I'm not about to keep talking to some dude who is so ingrained in his own ego that he actually wants to keep a massive argument (one that's been steadily destroying the community) going for the sake of... honestly, I don't even know anymore.
Or maybe I have the insight to see beyond the fact that a treaty on this website is going to do ****. All the treaty is going to do is allow people who don't want to sign it to auto-win arguments, if that's even possible, because the people who signed will not have the ability to fight back. I'm not going to put my name on anything that limits my rights to free speech, especially one as silly as not hurting some people's feelings with heated debate.

The only reason I can think anyone wants the debate to go on is if they are aiming for the complete destruction of either competitive Brawl or competitive Melee, and in either case, that's not the kind of person I want to be associated with.
Then don't argue. Sign your little paper, but don't push YOU OPINIONS on me by calling me ignorant, thick skulled, or anything else derogatory because I don't share the same beliefs as you. Heck, this whole thing reminds me of another debate between two opinions. Are you going to make a thread about having treaties between people who want to sign the treaty and those who don't?

Intolerance... will not be tolerated.
Ignorance,... will not be ignored.

rhan

Smash Hero
Huh? Asking permission to sig? Now I seen everything. o.o *Is totally off topic*

L__

Smash Master
Lol. Another first I suppose. >.> I have a tendency to do stuff like ask permission. I'm sorry if it bugs you. >.>

edit: Proud Smash n00b, are you serious? You have to flame them? This is what starts idiotic wars in the first place. Don't even reply to this; I'm sick of people flaming because they think they are justified. Who the f*ck is to say what is justified? Don't even say the government; I disagree with several points of the justice system everywhere. As big as a Death Note fan, I'd like to point out that anyone who thinks they are above anyone in passing "righteousness" deserves what happened to Light. Sure, the ideas of passing judgment is great and all, but ... I know this is clichẻ but with great power comes great responsibility, and justification is one in the same.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
OP, I hope you're happy with yourself. You've made a thread that's moved us one step closer to Brawl dying (oh wait, that's what everyone wants, isn't it?), no market for Smash, no SSB4 released, and thus the death of the Smash Brothers series (which ostensibly is better than Brawl).

Ugh, I'm in such a bad mood today.
Brawl isn't dying, remember this is just a forum where all haters are gathering.

Only reason people add people to an ignore list is because they owned you in a conversation and made you feel stupid. :]
Lol I admit there is truth in that, but he didn't make me feel stupid but he pissed me off... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom