• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Those Who Favor Brawl, Let's Finally Admit It...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I fall in the category of people who favor Brawl over Melee. Why? In terms of direct reasons, it has nothing to do with the physics, the hitstun, the aerials, the characters, etc. There is one simple reason why people who say that Brawl is better than Melee say that, and while many pros have probably already figured it out, I'll be man enough to admit it for most, if not all, of us:

We sucked in Melee. :urg:
There. Are you happy? I said it.

Sure, we may have pulled off some epic victories with our mains. We might have a combo video up on YouTube with a few hundred views. We might have beaten a local pro or two in casual matches. we might have entered a tournament and scored enough victories to earn basic respect. But all in all, there is at least one aspect of Melee that kept us from being that pro that we all secretly wnated to be, whether it be an AT, a character match-up, or even the deeper understanding of how a game works when you take it to the competitive level. You know, we were just playing Melee with out friends until one day, you hear about a tournament with players that are MUCH better than us. We tried to learn, but it was too late to absorb all that info.

But now, Brawl is out, and we're all playing and learning at the same time. Melee doesn't necessarily have a bigger learning curve than Brawl, it's just that everybody is learning this game at the same time. Whatever ATs (or phony ATs) are being discovered, everybody's gonna know because we're all thriving to learn this game and not be left in the dust like we were in Melee. This is one of the reasons why I believe that Brawl is every bit as competitive as Melee because now, there are more competitors to this game that have the same amount of knowledge about it as you do. Yes, Melee and Brawl are games with two very different technical designs, but it still takes skill to play and win in Brawl. The only reason why Melee vets may say otherwise is because they haven't been able to own the new faces of Brawl like they used to in Melee, and the reasons for that are 1) we perfer Brawl while you perfer Melee, and 2) everybody's learning this game at the same time.

But yeah. We sucked in Melee. :ouch:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
What are you talking about? I certainly didn't suck in Melee. Despite not getting the chance to go to many tournaments, I was told by my tourney going friend (who placed something like second in Australia) that I was one of the best players he'd faced. In fact, I taught him how to play Smash in the first place back when we were both new to the series.

I automatically L-canceled every move, I knew how to use wavedashing effectively and I was aware of and could perform most character-specific ATs, including Fox's waveshine to an extent (I couldn't quite get the drill variant.) so ATs weren't a problem either.

Even so, I prefer Brawl. The defensive playing style is perfect for me.

Speak for yourself perhaps, but don't assume everyone else is the same. Many of the things that draw me to Brawl are quite petty: I prefer the massive hit lag in between attacks, and the fact that I can use my AAA combos without being kicked in the face. I like how less twitchy this game feels compared to Melee as well. This game just FEELS better, which is why I prefer it. Not to mention all the new characters. Since I try to play every character except the ones I hate, it gives me a lot more to do when it comes to training.

I fall in the category of people who favor Brawl over Melee. Why? In terms of direct reasons, it has nothing to do with the physics, the hitstun, the aerials, the characters, etc. There is one simple reason why people who say that Brawl is better than Melee say that, and while many pros have probably already figured it out, I'll be man enough to admit it for most, if not all, of us:

Sure, we may have pulled off some epic victories with our mains. We might have a combo video up on YouTube with a few hundred views. We might have beaten a local pro or two in casual matches. we might have entered a tournament and scored enough victories to earn basic respect. But all in all, there is at least one aspect of Melee that kept us from being that pro that we all secretly wnated to be, whether it be an AT, a character match-up, or even the deeper understanding of how a game works when you take it to the competitive level. You know, we were just playing Melee with out friends until one day, you hear about a tournament with players that are MUCH better than us. We tried to learn, but it was too late to absorb all that info.

But now, Brawl is out, and we're all playing and learning at the same time. Melee doesn't necessarily have a bigger learning curve than Brawl, it's just that everybody is learning this game at the same time. Whatever ATs (or phony ATs) are being discovered, everybody's gonna know because we're all thriving to learn this game and not be left in the dust like we were in Melee. This is one of the reasons why I believe that Brawl is every bit as competitive as Melee because now, there are more competitors to this game that have the same amount of knowledge about it as you do. Yes, Melee and Brawl are games with two very different technical designs, but it still takes skill to play and win in Brawl. The only reason why Melee vets may say otherwise is because they haven't been able to own the new faces of Brawl like they used to in Melee, and the reasons for that are 1) we perfer Brawl while you perfer Melee, and 2) everybody's learning this game at the same time.

If Brawl had the same elements Melee had, that would be the case, but it isn't.

I'm going to be direct about this and say that Brawl virtually has no learning curve what-so-ever. Every concept of the game boils down to using only basic elements which don't require any reflexes, skill, or fast movements in general. Everyone who has started Brawl has been on the same level of play from now since the day it has released, and there has been no universal progression in the game. essentially, you prefer Brawl because you now have the opportunity to beat professional players because they have been brought down into the same playing field as a casual player. which is ridiculous (Although needless to say).

Melee players prefer Melee because they want to play a fighting game, not a party game with fighting aesthetics. But more than anything else, there is no possible way to say that Melee didn't have a steep learning curve.

Do your homework before making unsupported assumptions.

Banana Boy

Smash Rookie

Your post probably has some truth in it, but you can´t generalize it, not all of us sucked at melee, just the most^^.

Firstly, I prefer brawl because of wifi (yet, with anyone sucks....). I got to know about the ats in melee pretty late (before, I was thinking that I wasn´t that bad, beeting my friends and compsXD) and tried to use them; The easier things like wd and shieldgrab worked fine but i couldn´t pull of shffling.
But like you said we had the chance to restart with the release of brawl (btw eu sucks).

turbinator

Smash Cadet
If Brawl had the same elements Melee had, that would be the case, but it isn't.

I'm going to be direct about this and say that Brawl virtually has no learning curve what-so-ever. Every concept of the game boils down to using only basic elements which don't require any reflexes, skill, or fast movements in general. Everyone who has started Brawl has been on the same level of play from now since the day it has released, and there has been no universal progression in the game. essentially, you prefer Brawl because you now have the opportunity to beat professional players because they have been brought down into the same playing field as a casual player. which is ridiculous (Although needless to say).

Melee players prefer Melee because they want to play a fighting game, not a party game with fighting aesthetics. But more than anything else, there is no possible way to say that Melee didn't have a steep learning curve.

Bullcrap. Brawl's learning curve may not be as big as Melee's but it definitely still has a decent learning curve. You can easily tell a great player from a good player. And please explain how brawl is not a fighting game if melee is.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
No, he's right, Brawl has a ridiculously small learning curve, compared to melee, compared to street fighter, compared to any game with a competitive or "professional" userbase.

Bullcrap. Brawl's learning curve may not be as big as Melee's but it definitely still has a decent learning curve. You can easily tell a great player from a good player. And please explain how brawl is not a fighting game if melee is.
Let's see.

Options: Brawls options in gameplay are limited to a singularity. Run, Jump, Projectile, Attack, Aerial, Short Hop Aerial, and Shield grab. Essentially, all of these options fall pray into one category that revolves around shield grabbing and projectiles:

Player A= Projectile and Shield Grab. Player B= Run, Jump, Attack, Aerial Short Hop Aerial.

A uses projectile. Player B can't make a move at the moment. Player B attacks, player A blocks. Player B gets grabbed. Player B SH aerails Player A. Player B gets Hit by a projectile/Shield grabbed depending on the distance. Player B SH aerials. Player A Side Dodges. Player B gets D-smashed.

Basically, high level play comes from exploiting variable circumstances that seemingly fall into one category. If you have played on a competitive level (Or against any good character in general), you will notice this is the only effective tactic because you can't do much in any situation.

Melee Has:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgEx5OUQldM

Actual gameplay in Brawl consist of very simplistic features such as auto ledge snapping, easy power shielding, easy shield grabbing, and multiple unpunished air dodges, easy DI unlimited recovery potential and no hit stun. Another troublesome variable; Tripping. This itself caused the game to go into calamity.

Character selection: All character victories in general go towards Meta Knight and Snake, where as any other character has no chance unless they posses some kind of obscenely
broken characteristic. Counter characters have no become common against certain characters, and character balance is even more unbalanced.

There are lots of things I can rant on, but i'm not going to waste my time yet again explaining myself to the uninformed. If you really want some answers, look around both the Brawl and Melee sections. Learn both games.

Crank

Smash Apprentice

Um, speak for yourself there dood. There are plently of people that favor Brawl over Melee that were half way decent at Melee.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I can see this thread going to hate pretty quick lol
But the "brawl isn't a fighting game" is a compelling statement. Obviously we would have to define a fighting game, but it seems to me that a fighting game has hit stun. Hitstun leads to combos, combos leads to very fun gameplay that takes practice. Brawl doesn't take practice, has very few true combos, and miniscule hitstun

4Serial

Smash Lord
There are lots of things I can rant on, but i'm not going to waste my time yet again explaining myself to the uninformed. If you really want some answers, look around both the Brawl and Melee sections. Learn both games.
QFT

Melee players have knowledge of both Brawl and Melee. Most Brawlers don't know **** about Melee and no experience whatsoever. It's basically the same thing as the Casual vs Competitive debate. Don't hate it til you've tried it.

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
i honestly think most people complaining are used to the spastic looking game play melee had, take out all the ATs and Techs and what do we get? I doubt people were going fast in melee at the start and the end of it's run.

Seriously, rejecting the game this early is ignorant, 2 or 3 years and were playing the same game... I'll understand.

rhan

Smash Hero
4Serial said:
QFT

Melee players have knowledge of both Brawl and Melee. Most Brawlers don't know **** about Melee and no experience whatsoever. It's basically the same thing as the Casual vs Competitive debate. Don't hate it til you've tried it.
Agreed

Most people prefer Brawl over Melee cause it's easier to catch on and there isn't much to learn about the game to become decent(Or the **** for that matter). There we're so many things to comprehend in Melee that most casual gamers wouldn't care to learn.

Also MarKO X,

Your sig makes me wonder. Do you think Melee is about getting angry and winning by luck? and that it takes no skill or focus? If not please clear it up. Cause it could be very misleading.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
1) I've played Melee competitively, and like I apparently inconspicuously mentioned, I have my fair share of victories... no tournament wins because I never had a Ken-like or M2K-like Marth, but I've had my wins with Marth, Shiek, Samus, Jiggs, and Roy. I've also been in Street Fighter tournaments as well, so it's not like I don't know anything about the competitive scene of fightin games in general. Once you go competitive, you start to get a feel and an understanding for the game that a casual player just won't get unless he/she makes that jump from casual to competitive. You'll get a feel for a player's play style, an understanding of how a single move can become a mindgame of its own, and you start to understand technicalities that make even the simplest attacks seem epic. Even with my victories and my "half way decent" gameplay in Melee, I still say I sucked at Melee because I did.

2) Victories in Brawl lean towards who? Snake and MetaKnight. 2 out of 35 is pretty bad, but at the same time, Melee 4 out of 25 (Fox, Falco, Marth, Shiek) ain't so **** hot either. Yeah, yeah, you're gonna tell me that victories in tournaments obviously had other characters win it, such as ICers, Falcon, and even the once legendary Melee Link, but when it all boils down to it, Those 4 owned life in Melee.

3) Brawl is clearly a fighting game... if you don't think so, look up the definition of the word fight and apply it to Brawl.

4) Brawl does take practice. For now, the metagame (or at least my metagame) is all about the edgeguard. Even if your edgeguarding doesn't kill your opponent, it should damage them enough such that your next murder attempt is that much easier. Of course, Snake and MetaKnight are hell to edgeguard, as well as edgeguard very well, which is why they're the two top characters in this game.

5) Tripping does suck.

6) My sig has three separate general statements. Skills will always be greater than luck because you can always control your skill, focus will always be better than anger because anger can lead to spontaneous and stupid decisions, and Brawl is better than Melee in both the casual and the competitive aspects.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I prefer Brawl because it is really all I have to play at the moment, cause I don't really have any other games I can play, and it is either Brawl, or attending to the pile of **** I have to do in real life.

and I like to procrastanate soo....

rhan

Smash Hero
Seventh Sword said:
This has already become a Melee vs Brawl debate. I'll add another one to the tally.
Any thread concerning both games is a Melee vs Brawl debate.

MarKO X said:
....and Brawl is better than Melee in both the casual and the competitive aspects.
When You have to ban a character from tournament play I don't think it counts as a competitive game anymore. Or when you have to get your opponent's permission to choose a counter pick stage.

i honestly think most people complaining are used to the spastic looking game play melee had, take out all the ATs and Techs and what do we get? I doubt people were going fast in melee at the start and the end of it's run.

Seriously, rejecting the game this early is ignorant, 2 or 3 years and were playing the same game... I'll understand.

Zodiac

Smash Master
As resident brawl pwner I need to point out that melee had a MUCH bigger learning curve. with brawl you reach the higher levels faster because its simpler.

And marko, your a noob in a pro's body.

The way melee was built gave bout half the cast a decent chance against fox,falco, sheik, marth, captain falcon.

and Im loling at you for the rest of time for saying that brawl was better then melee in competitive aspects.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
My sig has three separate general statements. Skills will always be greater than luck because you can always control your skill, focus will always be better than anger because anger can lead to spontaneous and stupid decisions, and Brawl is better than Melee in both the casual and the competitive aspects.
lol this is purely subjective

some people might like anger more than focus because it severely raises heartbeat and hurts their heart, they might like that rush

skill will always be greater than luck? again, subjective. a bad player might favor luck over skill because he can't beat his opponent otherwise.

Brawl is better than Melee in both the casual and the competitive aspects.

do you intend to prove this statement?

turbinator

Smash Cadet
Let's see.

Options: Brawls options in gameplay are limited to a singularity. Run, Jump, Projectile, Attack, Aerial, Short Hop Aerial, and Shield grab. Essentially, all of these options fall pray into one category that revolves around shield grabbing and projectiles:

Player A= Projectile and Shield Grab. Player B= Run, Jump, Attack, Aerial Short Hop Aerial.

A uses projectile. Player B can't make a move at the moment. Player B attacks, player A blocks. Player B gets grabbed. Player B SH aerails Player A. Player B gets Hit by a projectile/Shield grabbed depending on the distance. Player B SH aerials. Player A Side Dodges. Player B gets D-smashed.

Basically, high level play comes from exploiting variable circumstances that seemingly fall into one category. If you have played on a competitive level (Or against any good character in general), you will notice this is the only effective tactic because you can't do much in any situation.

Melee Has:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgEx5OUQldM

Actual gameplay in Brawl consist of very simplistic features such as auto ledge snapping, easy power shielding, easy shield grabbing, and multiple unpunished air dodges, easy DI unlimited recovery potential and no hit stun. Another troublesome variable; Tripping. This itself caused the game to go into calamity.

Character selection: All character victories in general go towards Meta Knight and Snake, where as any other character has no chance unless they posses some kind of obscenely
broken characteristic. Counter characters have no become common against certain characters, and character balance is even more unbalanced.

What you listed there still requires a bigger learning curve then none whatsoever
Im not trying to argue that Brawl has a bigger learning curve than Melee but it still has one.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sure...

Casually
1) More characters.
2) More items.
3) More ways to play by yourself.
4) Custom fights with special Brawl.
5) Better music.
6) The Final Smash.

Competitively
1) More characters (i.e. more to learn to make sure you don't get owned by ignorance)
2) Aerial Combat (i.e. the floatiness... leads to the need for a precise air game... PS: air dodging getting on your nerves? Mindgame a fake attack to bait an airdodge, then punish.)
3) Your edgeguard has to be even more devious since it's so easy to recover.
4) Lack of hitstun? Apply mindgamed attack strings. Predict what your opponent will do, and you'll look like a KungFu master (of course, by no means can you even compare any Smash to kungfu...)

Someone mentioned a banned Brawl character, and stated that having a character that's banned makes a game non-competitive. Really? So I guess Super Turbo isn't competitive because there's two characters that can generally destroy the rest of the cast and are basically unofficially banned, right?

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
have been brought down into the same playing field as a casual player. which is ridiculous (Although needless to say).

Do your homework before typing with unsupported sentence structure and poor grammar. "Needless to say" makes absolutely no sense at all.

What I've just shown here is a perfect example of too many smash board members. You think you know everything, but you don't. The O.P. is clearly wrong, so everyone posts that he is. The only problem is, every response is muddled with vague flames and random references to "omfg I rocked the **** out of melee."

NO, not everyone who likes Brawl more than Melee was bad at Melee.

NO, you shouldn't post worthless arguments that go back to the same stupid Brawl vs. Melee/Casual vs. Competitive debate that no one gives a **** about.

That is all,

R_S_G

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
QFT

But most melee players love tourneys,and I think most have no knowledge about anything else other than the physics of the game and rules.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I don't feel like reading a thread like this right now, but I will say that I happily play both Brawl AND Melee. In fact, I'm having a birthday party today and we'll be playing both (But my friends who moved completely to Brawl don't know that ;))

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Wow at this thread. I prefer Brawl to Melee simply because it was more fun. I was amazing in Melee, though

Melfice z

Smash Ace
to start things off, there is no real accurate way to compare two different games with two completely different playstyles and physics to each respective game. secondly, i prefer brawl over melee because it can still be played in a friendly matter other than every match having to be competitive. I myself practice in brawl because i want to have a chance in a tourney! and this isnt for the reasons that you people stated at the beginning of the post... i want to use my main! :D im fed up with the tournament roster being packed with foxs and falcos and the occasional marth. :( as for brawl, sure, weve found the learning curve to be good, but no one has really found the curve to being "great" eh? sure there are pros but no one that has really found the "waveshine" to brawl yet? correct me if im wrong :)

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
I have never played melee, but just watched vids of tournament play and the techs in the game sure it 's awesome to wavedash and all that good stuff, but before all that melee wasn't anything worth talking about there were no strategies what so ever and i bet people who had melee stopped playing it until, one day some dude found out wavedashing or some glitch and all of a sudden everyone came back to melee to try out this tech and now melee is fast and competitve.

As Eternal phoenix fire said that brawl's options in gameplay are limited wasn't that how melee used to be? i might be wrong but just asking.

Melee didn't become what it is today over night y'know took awhile probably a couple years or months i really don't know nor do i care. Just know that brawl came out a few months ago, so finding usefull tech will take awhile. IF that person who found out wavedashing or any usefull tech used today in melee we wouldn;t be talking about it better yet i bet there'd be no SWF for that matter and i certaintly wouldn't be a member of this website anyways. i'd probably have a ps3 and waiting for SC4, SF4, and blazblue to come out.

So brawl isn't as faced paced as melee, so there aren't any ground breaking discoveries yet oh well everything takes time to become something great. Brawl combo's if there are any won't happen unless you mind game your opponent to force them to mess up.

What i'm trying to say is mindgames are more important now in brawl than in melee since brawl is slower now and so are combos. I guess people had to many high expectations in brawl hoping it would be another melee with better graphics and characters thats how i see it. When you think about if wavedashing and all the other tech from melee were in brawl we would be playing melee just with better graphics and crappy online,

Now all melee veterans and new brawlers have to work from the ground up in hopes of making brawl a better game

every thing takes time...... time

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
When You have to ban a character from tournament play I don't think it counts as a competitive game anymore.
Akuma is banned in competitive Street Fighter 2, and that's been competitive for years.

Or when you have to get your opponent's permission to choose a counter pick stage.
The rules for counterpicking in Brawl is the same as it was in Melee. Smash may be one of (if not the only) fighter to have counterpick stages, it's also because Smash is one of the very few fighters where the stage is more than just a plain 2d/3d flat area with a different background.

And I like brawl for the fact it's similar, but different enough to the game I've played for seven years that I'm enjoying it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I like it because of the characters, stages, and sometimes the slower speed (crazy I know).

In Melee I only liked about four characters in the roster for who they were (Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Ness, and Sheik). The rest of the cast was bleh to me and I had no intrest in trying to get better with them. If I don't like the character, I'm not gonna put in time to learn them. Brawl has so many characters I like in addition to my favorite characters in Melee...Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Lucas and a few more.

The stages in Melee were pretty bland to me and we pretty much stayed on Final Destination and Fountain of Dreams. Brawl has alot of stages that are nice to fight on and don't bore me to death to look at.

The speed I won't get into (out of laziness and fear of getting attacked), so yeah.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting for this. Melee was a fun game for me, and I was pretty good, but I could never learn it as fast as Brawl. I could never represent the character that I wanted to play as: Samus and Yoshi. The reason for this was because it was much harder to improve certain characters compared to characters like Marth and Falco IMO. Brawl feels easier and more balanced to me. Thats how i feel anyway.

BentoBox

Smash Master
There is nothing to look forward to when playing Brawl. Most people had hoped they'd start fresh along with the rest of the community once Ssbb would come out... that they'd get better as the metagame would evolve. That some wouldn't feel as shunned out with the (empty) promises online brought forth. People who joined late chose to give up on melee and wait for brawl because back then, you had so many things and aspects to work on to become a decent competitor, making some feeling intimidated.

And now that Brawl came out, suddenly, everyone is good. Few are the ones who will take the time to think as to why they actually feel that way. Those who have met a wall, blinded by faith, come up on these forums and tell us that we shouldn't lose hope as wavedashing will come back under a new mask. And yadayada. You are all tools to Sakurai's philosophy :[.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Personally, I hated wavedashing and shffling. Does that make me a bad person?
Absolutely not.

The thing with WDing... took Melee's running and tossed it out the window... WDing into fsmashes, WDbackwards for better spaced fsmashes, making slow characters fast...

I'll never forget the first time I got hit with a WDed tipped fsmash from Marth. I was like, "Wha?" The T was too bust getting KOed.

Edit: and WDing won't come back in Brawl... you have to look at Brawl differently. I say I'm good in brawl because I understand that not every consecutive hit I hit an opponent with is a combo, that your aerials are worth more than you think, etc. And by no means have I met a wall in Brawl... I'm still playing the **** outta this game.

BentoBox

Smash Master
It takes a lot less to be good in Brawl compared to what it took to be decent in melee. You misunderstand my usage of the word wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom