• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I dunno. The default FE12 avatar is just an ordinary mercenary, I could only see him going the way of Chrom (being dismissed because of being "just another swordsman"), unless they were to somehow incorporate reclassing into his moveset.
I really think that if there ever was a new FE smash character it should be one who makes good use of the reclass system
like if Chrom made it to smash, he should incorporate skills in the archer and cavalier class line as opposed to being "just another swordsman"

though maybe FE12 MU (also know as Kris/Chris) might do it better due to his blank slate and access to the FE 12 reclass system which (after a succesful playthrough IIRC) allows him (assuming male as Kris can be a woman) to be fuctionally every class but a pegasus knight

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
I dunno. The default FE12 avatar is just an ordinary mercenary, I could only see him going the way of Chrom (being dismissed because of being "just another swordsman"), unless they were to somehow incorporate reclassing into his moveset.
He probably would've gotten a weapon switch style of play but oh well, robin works out better.

Folt

Smash Ace
I really think that if there ever was a new FE smash character it should be one who makes good use of the reclass system
like if Chrom made it to smash, he should incorporate skills in the archer and cavalier class line as opposed to being "just another swordsman"

though maybe FE12 MU (also know as Kris/Chris) might do it better due to his blank slate and access to the FE 12 reclass system which (after a succesful playthrough IIRC) allows him (assuming male as Kris can be a woman) to be fuctionally every class but a pegasus knight
On the other hand, Kamui making it in so you can turn into a dragon for some moves would be freakin' awesome!

I don't know if it would actually add that much into Smash Bros. though, so I'd like Robin to stick around because I need male mages as fighters (and bonus points for his main spell focus not being fire, but thunder, and for using dark magic as well).

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
He probably would've gotten a weapon switch style of play but oh well, robin works out better.
stance change fighters need to be implemented in smash again
the annoying thing about smash stance fighters though is that they don't just change moveset they completely alter their models which makes them really difficult to implement
:sheilda::pt:

in other news I'm in chapter 4 in H5 Shadow Dragon and two things about Cord:
I forgot he has an E in axes that alone makes him even worse than his brother Bord whose C in axes lets him wield the all mighty Hand Axe

do you guys think I should reclass him to a Dark Mage? This is the chapter where I recruit Merric the best mage in the game but in my last playthrough through both he and Linde got so RNG screwed that my only magic wielding character was a promoted Lena who got fed like two arms scrolls so she can use Aura.

Dark Mage Cord is pretty bad but he might just be RNG blessed to be actually good. He is practically guaranteed to cap speed but he will never get a point in defense and the rest of stats will be pretty meh to bad on average but in my last playthough I had Palla gain 5 speed level ups in a row without any exploits/speedwings so he might turn out useful

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
We're the 3 Wolves! As you can tell from my sig, I support Wolf for DLC as well! (ignoredaisyimsosrrydx)
Awesome.:wolf:

I don't have a problem with Daisy.

Feel free to stop by the Wolf 4 DLC thread if you want your name on the support list (or I can do it myself) or just to hang out.

(I've got no problem with you supporting Daisy as well)
I also support Wolf.

In other news, I now have a Halloween avatar of what I find to be one of the creepiest things in Zelda, Guardians.

Folt

Smash Ace
stance change fighters need to be implemented in smash again
the annoying thing about smash stance fighters though is that they don't just change moveset they completely alter their models which makes them really difficult to implement
I could see a more traditional stance fighter appear whose stances would only change some moves and maybe some attributes (not enough to become completely different characters, but enough to have strong and weak points in their fighting styles, depending on the stance they're in).

EDIT:
Videogame music draw from a variety of music styles, so I'm not too surprised to see videogame music helping older music styles stay in the public eye, simply because videogame music can draw in younger people who would otherwise think twice in giving it a chance.

Last edited:

Yaki

NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
Honestly if we were to get an older character from the FE games as a new Rep in smash 5 (provided there is one) I would like to see either Leif, Ephraim, Hector, Alm or if they wanted to add a villain, Arvis. Below are following reasons for why I would want one of these characters. These are all hypothetical ideas and I won't be upset if whoever makes the roster doesn't add them

Leif: Would probably play like a regular Fire Emblem rep on paper, but would likely make usage of projectiles borne from his Light Sword. He's got the fact that he was almost made playable going for him as well. I think he'd probably be a ranged rushdown fighter. Also would join robin as the second not blue haired rep for fire emblem.

Ephraim: Would probably add an entirely new spin on the game as he would likely boast the longest reach of any character, but likely would be balanced out by having even more demanding sweet-spot on his moves. I'd imagine he'd likely have some projectiles through javelins or something.

Hector: He'd either be the best character in the entire game or slightly close to it. He'd probably be kinda like Ike, but more damaging, and slower as a result. I would also expect for him to have an extremely short attack range when compared to other fighters, but if he were to get you in his range, the damage would be real.

Alm: Could potentially use bows as a projectile, but with better application than how Link does, maybe charging would add a piercing effect? He could also maybe have Cecilia show up to help him in a final smash. (I think alm is neat and this is why he showed up here.)

Arvis: Would be the first Mage and Villain rep for fire emblem. Most of his attacks would be flame based and would likely be among the strongest projectiles in the game. A good final smash for him would probably be meteor (think ness's original final smash). He'd probably have a rather long charge on his strongest killing blow, Valflame, to balance him out.

I know these are probably dumb ideas but hey i tried.

Folt

Smash Ace
Honestly if we were to get an older character from the FE games as a new Rep in smash 5 (provided there is one) I would like to see either Leif, Ephraim, Hector, Alm or if they wanted to add a villain, Arvis. Below are following reasons for why I would want one of these characters. These are all hypothetical ideas and I won't be upset if whoever makes the roster doesn't add them

Leif: Would probably play like a regular Fire Emblem rep on paper, but would likely make usage of projectiles borne from his Light Sword. He's got the fact that he was almost made playable going for him as well. I think he'd probably be a ranged rushdown fighter. Also would join robin as the second not blue haired rep for fire emblem.

Ephraim: Would probably add an entirely new spin on the game as he would likely boast the longest reach of any character, but likely would be balanced out by having even more demanding sweet-spot on his moves. I'd imagine he'd likely have some projectiles through javelins or something.

Hector: He'd either be the best character in the entire game or slightly close to it. He'd probably be kinda like Ike, but more damaging, and slower as a result. I would also expect for him to have an extremely short attack range when compared to other fighters, but if he were to get you in his range, the damage would be real.

Alm: Could potentially use bows as a projectile, but with better application than how Link does, maybe charging would add a piercing effect? He could also maybe have Cecilia show up to help him in a final smash. (I think alm is neat and this is why he showed up here.)

Arvis: Would be the first Mage and Villain rep for fire emblem. Most of his attacks would be flame based and would likely be among the strongest projectiles in the game. A good final smash for him would probably be meteor (think ness's original final smash). He'd probably have a rather long charge on his strongest killing blow, Valflame, to balance him out.

I know these are probably dumb ideas but hey i tried.
Leif. I could see Leif using a variety of weapons from the FE series myself, but your idea sounds cool enough. I don't think he's going to make it in though.

Ephraim: He'd be quite like Marth, keeping people at arms (or in this case: spear's) length. However, I don't think he'll make it in because of that since his fighting style sounds like it'd be an extreme version of Marth's which would lead to some overlap. If any of you can think of a way to make him not sound like an extreme version of Marth, maybe I'll change my mind on this (but then again, my opinion is probably not relevant enough).

Hector: Pretty much competes with Ike. He could wield Armads to go thunder instead of fire, but that wouldn't really change much. I wonder if decreasing his range in exchange for a bit more attack speed and maybe have some kind of sweet-spot where the axe blade deals a bit more damage would help differentiate him, but that might make him overlap more with Marth.

Alm: He kind of doesn't really stand out much and the few fighting styles I could see for him would overlap with other characters.

Arvis: Technically, Robin is kind of repping FE as a villain as well as a hero already, but Arvis would without question be a pure (and undisputable) villain rep for FE. Unfortunately, the fighting styles I could think for him would give him overlap with a couple other Smash characters, so in the end, I don't think he'll work out in the long term. He'd be kind of cool though.

Yaki

NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
Leif. I could see Leif using a variety of weapons from the FE series myself, but your idea sounds cool enough. I don't think he's going to make it in though.

Ephraim: He'd be quite like Marth, keeping people at arms (or in this case: spear's) length. However, I don't think he'll make it in because of that since his fighting style sounds like it'd be an extreme version of Marth's which would lead to some overlap. If any of you can think of a way to make him not sound like an extreme version of Marth, maybe I'll change my mind on this (but then again, my opinion is probably not relevant enough).

Hector: Pretty much competes with Ike. He could wield Armads to go thunder instead of fire, but that wouldn't really change much. I wonder if decreasing his range in exchange for a bit more attack speed and maybe have some kind of sweet-spot where the axe blade deals a bit more damage would help differentiate him, but that might make him overlap more with Marth.

Alm: He kind of doesn't really stand out much and the few fighting styles I could see for him would overlap with other characters.

Arvis: Technically, Robin is kind of repping FE as a villain as well as a hero already, but Arvis would without question be a pure (and undisputable) villain rep for FE. Unfortunately, the fighting styles I could think for him would give him overlap with a couple other Smash characters, so in the end, I don't think he'll work out in the long term. He'd be kind of cool though.
I went with Arvis over multiple villians (even his son) due to how he's one of the few tragic villains in the series. Sure Robin does do the things in awakening, but personally, Arvis's story seems to be the most well done in my opninion. While yes, Julius would probably do a much better job as a Mage character, I feel that most of the fire projectiles in smash don't really seem to have the force as what I'd feel Arvis would be able to do.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Well, I am under 18.

Will they perhaps be flexible if I attended with my 21 y/o sister? I'd love to go one day after watching yesterday's stream. :dr^_^:

And your Ike is frightening.
I'll ask them, I'm sure if I provide them with wristbands on something that we can put on U18's they'll let you guys in :)

Also that was my ike when I was quite drunk and playing terribly, you should see it when I'm playing good.
Actually you can. Here's footage of me bodying yackabean and pidgey (came 17th&13th at dbz7) a few months ago :D
It was fun. If you do come down for meltdown I dibs first games

gp more llike free-p hahha

its fine bc you are the hottest in the community
Why thank, friend.
Sadly I am not the hottest in any part of Britain. We have bowie in England, Edinbulba in Scotland, and ssjDavey in Wales.
I'll settle for just being the hottest commodity :v

Folt

Smash Ace
I went with Arvis over multiple villians (even his son) due to how he's one of the few tragic villains in the series. Sure Robin does do the things in awakening, but personally, Arvis's story seems to be the most well done in my opninion. While yes, Julius would probably do a much better job as a Mage character, I feel that most of the fire projectiles in smash don't really seem to have the force as what I'd feel Arvis would be able to do.
And I have no problem with Arvis coming in as a villain rep. Because I said in my post that Arvis would undisputably add to Smash Bros.' villain gallery (something that, while Robin technically does add to, can be disputed given the whole schtick with him in Awakening proper). And I agree that Arvis would probably be the most accomplished flame person out of all the fighters, but I personally feel that we have more deserving fighters whose styles would overlap with whatever concepts Arvis could fill (and a few fighters already in the game whose projectiles, while not flame projectiles, does kinda do what Arvis's projectiles could do).

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I also support Wolf.

In other news, I now have a Halloween avatar of what I find to be one of the creepiest things in Zelda, Guardians.
That first moment I stepped out of the "Safe Zone", and everything had a red hue to it, and the Guardians' eyes beamed red, I knew at that very moment that I was in for a treat.

I liked all of the Silent Realms, except for the Eldin Volcano one ;.;

Yaki

NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
And I have no problem with Arvis coming in as a villain rep. Because I said in my post that Arvis would undisputably add to Smash Bros.' villain gallery (something that, while Robin technically does add to, can be disputed given the whole schtick with him in Awakening proper). And I agree that Arvis would probably be the most accomplished flame person out of all the fighters, but I personally feel that we have more deserving fighters whose styles would overlap with whatever concepts Arvis could fill (and a few fighters already in the game whose projectiles, while not flame projectiles, does kinda do what Arvis's projectiles could do).
I just wanna have a recovery move where he literally propells himself with an explosion it would really rad

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Fine since people are talking about angering the fanbase by including another FE smash character, here's my pick:

A Warrior, Radiant Dawn Elincia or Tiki though i lean the closest to a pegasus knight

Warrior: Pure moveset potential as oposed to fame. Warriors weild two weapons that none of the smash emblemers use. An axe and bow combo. that alone offers the idea of a character with DPH and early stock ending power while also having a long ranged you-can't-hide-from-me in the form of a chargable projectile. Off the top of my head a good warrior to use would be Vaike or Basillio from awakening just for being so visually distinct from every other human/human-like character in smash

Elincia:Fire Emblem doesn't have much in the way of Fragile Speedsters there's the earlier incarnations of Marth IIRC and Roy now though and Pegasus knights have interesting mechanics in the form of a warpable/rescuable Pegasus and super long range spears. While I originally advocated of Ceada to be in I now personally think Elincia would be great just for her importance in the story though the Whitewing sisters (Palla, Catria, and Est) due to them being in 6 of the 14 fire emblem games (that's dark dragon, gaiden, mystery, shadow dragon new mystery, and awakening) the most in any fire emblem game (tied with Marth and Camus/ Syrus)

Tiki: she is a girl/woman who can turn into a dragon, who has appeared in various Fire emblem games and has played an important role in defeating the final boss in all her games

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002

He is the fondest of starting fires.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
That first moment I stepped out of the "Safe Zone", and everything had a red hue to it, and the Guardians' eyes beamed red, I knew at that very moment that I was in for a treat.

I liked all of the Silent Realms, except for the Eldin Volcano one ;.;
Look like the Silent Realms are going to be a treat if and when I play SS.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
i'll ask again should I or should I not try to invest in a very shaky mage in a very brutal difficulty in a playthrough of Shadow dragon as that game is starved for magic users?

Folt

Smash Ace
I just wanna have a recovery move where he literally propells himself with an explosion it would really rad
And that is again a concept that can be seen by multiple other fighters.

(But the image of serious Arvis propelling himself through the air using his fire magic power to make explosions is an image I'd fund if I actually had the money to spare.)

Well, I guess I should go a bit more in-depth of my Kamui idea:

Kamui: Wields the yato and can change into his dragon form, mostly partially. His sword attacks are weak but relatively safe thanks to disjoint and are basically normal attacks. His dragon attacks make him change his limbs into dragon limbs to add range and power, but are also not disjointed attacks that are slow to execute and leave him open to counter attacks, so he must be mindful of getting damage tacked on if he does. It should be noted that most of his attacks where he shifts his limbs to dragon limbs get super armor on the dragon limb itself. Would have a projectile attack where he breathes water (through transforming his head into his dragon head). F!Kamui as an alt.

The main problem I'd see with this is that this kind of style is already there and almost certainly repped better.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
since everyone hates me (kidding obviously) enough to not let me know what they think of my problem imma just yolo and use Dark Mage Cord, I'm not going to use him as a fighter because of his E in axes anyways

Last edited:

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
This is awesome. It's got every swear in the book, so there's the warning.

]

Edit: Witness my thread killing powers!

Last edited:

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Ok so.....out of the 8 replays I had saved from my matches yesterday with Gemneye Gemneye only TWO of them were short enough to upload to Youtube (Nintendo why 3 minute limit ;-; ). And the 2 that I did upload were not really the best ones for critiquing purposes since those were the only matches where he used Roy and Fox and I take it he's much less familiar with them than he is with Robin and Marth (also I feel that Delfino Plaza kinda screwed him out of a stock). The ones where I was Falco, or he was Marf, or the Robin dittos would've been way better. But I did send you one of each of those Gemneye so you should at least be able to review those yourself (iiiiif you didn't save them yesterday). I'm still going to post those 2 with Roy/Fox though in the hopes that maybe everyone else can maybe provide something useful from them.....

still hate Roy's Fsmash

I think this one does show a little bit what I said yesterday about how he's kinda good with pivots

Also Create Highlight Reel kinda sucks, I tried using it hoping it'd cut a video down to just under 3 minutes and still be somewhat useable......it made it 50 seconds long fml

Anyway, now that I've watched them I can give you some feedback, mainly from the replays that I wanted to post.
The first thing is Jab. You use it an awful lot with :4marth: but less so with :4robinf:. The Falchion's jab is good to set-up guessing games, but is kinda not great outside of that. You wanna use Ftilt/Dtilt more. Robin's jab on the other hand is one of the best in the game and is one of her best options at close range; it's sweet, disjointed, frame 4, damage racking+killing, frame trap goodness. Her tilts on the other hands are sub-par. It hurt you in particular when I was using :4falco:. Falco is a fastfaller, and Wind Jab annihilates fastfallers, which you can see in the Fox video above (I got like 25% offa one of those). I think you only ever used Wind Jab on me like once, and then you kinda held it too long and I was able to slip out before the final slash. I'm not 100% sure this is how Robin is supposed to deal with the bird man, but I'm pretty the basic idea to fight him is to try and keep him out since his mobility is very average, and capitalize on mistakes with Wind Jab and the Levin sword. While he's not :4fox:,:4luigi:, etc, Falco is still skilled in hand to hand combat and that's where Robin loses in the matchup (his Jab is also frame 2). It can be a little hard to zone him out because Blaster and Reflector (and admittedly I maybe should've tried to pester Cardinal with those to try and get him to approach instead of trying to rush him but oh well), but it's still very much do-able.

There was also your usage of throws. You're fairly good at getting grabs, but the problem was what you did after the grab. Marth and Lucina's throws are weak and offer little reward, but you can get more out of it with their above average pummel (if you remember the Lucina vs. Dedede match, I almost always pummeled you a bit before throwing). And with Robin you seemed to be awfully slow at following up on D-throw and/or would do the wrong follow-up. Though I sometimes use the wrong follow-up too, so....

The one other thing that stood out to me was that I don't remember you ever really attempting to edge guard. It's not as easy as some people make it out to be *cough*thatoneguyinthegeneralcompetitivethread*cough*. Some characters aren't exactly suited to off-stage edge guarding/deal with your (get up) options much better on stage, and some characters you just don't bother trying because it's a low chance you'll do anything significant. But there are some simple things you can do with Robin and Marth to at least edge guard a little, which should help a bit, like dropping an Arcfire or two at the ledge, trying to hit them with Elwind off stage, run off Faris/Baris, etc. You also would sometimes over-read/over-anticipate my get up and try to preemptively hit me (and honestly I sorta do the same thing with Elwind anti-juggles) and I was able to get a few punishes from that.

.....that's all I got, there may be more to it than that, my assessment may not be entirely accurate, but I hope it helps a bit.

Tomb of the Giants sucks
So, I'm really bad at doing tilts so when I jab twice on Marth it's a compete accident. I'm trying to throw out an uptilt in there but I always forget to lol. I'll keep forward/down tilts in my mind for the future though! I normally jab on Robin quite a bit, but lately people have been DIing out of my wind jab, specifically, and I didn't think it was worth to use it as weird as that sounds. I think the first map that we played on was Lylat Cruise and those platforms really messed my jabs up. I hear the word "disjoint" being thrown around with talking about Robin's jab a lot. What does that actually mean?

Is there a reason why Falco is considered a fast faller when Robin can fast fall also? Yeah, I probably could have used some more Arc Fires versus Falco or something since it looked like you were on me the whole time. I know you got me off stage multiple times with him.

Instantly throwing is just a really bad habit of mine. Is there a certain number of pummels that you usually do before you throw without risk of grab releasing? Speaking of slow follow ups, that's why I stopped down throwing on you LOL; granted I think the back throws weren't that bad so it wasn't a 100% loss like with the Marth throws. I'm usually pretty chill when I'm playing the game but I could turn up my apm for throws! Wrong inputs are just something that I'm going to have to learn with more games.

I've tried edge guarding/off stage play and it almost never works out for me, BUT this is friendlies so I'll try more run off's next time! I do quite the run off nair so I'll put that in to the mix too. To grab on to the ledge while an opponent is on do I have to have my back facing the ledge while I jump on to it? So, I suppose throwing out an Arc Fire on to the ledge and waiting for my opponent would be the best thing to do outside of trying to read my opponent?

I consciously knew I was doing a couple of the things that you mentioned. But you reminded me of not playing with fear since it's just friendlies after all. I appreciate the feedback that you've given. :)

Folt

Smash Ace
Gemneye Gemneye : Characters being fast-fallers have nothing to do with if they can fast-fall or not and have everything to do with their default falling speed.

Folt

Smash Ace
Yep this music compeletely matches how i feel right now
I like how that music
feels more Nohr-like, compared to a certain other boss music piece.

Since said other music piece emphasizes the boss's connection to the Invisible Kingdom.

Top Bottom