• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Y'know, the one thing I don't get about people that don't like grinding in Awakening is...
Why don't you just not do it, then? It's entirely optional.
I may sound a bit condescending right now, but I'm legitimately interested in the answer.

If your point is that you have to grind supports for the children and you have to level grind the children for them to be of any use...
Well, there have been characters and prerequisites that where way worse in previous FE games. This time, you can actually USE all the characters you like. In previous games, luck with stat-ups and weither or not the character was actually any good limited you pool of choices quite a bit.
From my standpoint it feels like you're asking that everyone should play the game the old way, instead of having the freedom of choosing from different options.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Y'know, the one thing I don't get about people that don't like grinding in Awakening is...
I may sound a bit condescending right now, but I'm legitimately interested in the answer.
It's common fanbase etiquette to complain about frigging everything.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink

If your point is that you have to grind supports for the children and you have to level grind the children for them to be of any use...
Well, there have been characters and prerequisites that where way worse in previous FE games. This time, you can actually USE all the characters you like. In previous games, luck with stat-ups and weither or not the character was actually any good limited you pool of choices quite a bit.
From my standpoint it feels like you're asking that everyone should play the game the old way, instead of having the freedom of choosing from different options.
It kind of reminds me of people who for some reason think the very presence of a completely optional easy mode somehow 'taints' Dark Souls. I've personally concluded that these people like to act 'hardcore', but secretly will do anything in their power to make a game less challenging for them to complete, and as a result want their hands tied behind their back from the get go. Anyway, I've done 'no grinding runs' of Awakening perfectly fine. Granted, I had to stick to a more consistent team than I did on my first playthrough, but one big appeal I always saw to Fire Emblem is very often the question isn't, "How can I kill these soldiers", but "How can I best distribute EXP".

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I can't agree with this.

There's a certain satisfaction that comes out of utilizing all the resources available to you in the most efficient manner. This is what I'd call the 'Min-Max Thrill'.

If doing so trivializes the game, that takes a lot of the raw challenge out of it and makes it a lot less enjoyable. It means the player has to instill their own artificial limits on what they think is a reasonable degree of using that resource.

That's part of why I disliked the Tower of Valni and Arenas. It's there as a resource for me to make use of. I don't want to cut myself off from just NOT using them, but overuse of them makes the game too easy. So where do you draw the line? What if I think some use of them is completely fine?

Putting the burden on the player not to break the game is lame. It's hard to design around doing so, but there are ways it can be done. I think FE9/FE10 are the best example of this. No arenas, no grinding. Just straight up game. Bonus EXP was an extremely sensible replacement that allowed you to bring **** units up to par if you wanted to use them.

Even FE7 handled it well by having the rating system. If you broke the game with Arena grinding, it was impossible for you to do well in tactics rank.

Instead of having the kids join super-weak (though they had scaling stats), all they had to do was make them join at similar (if slightly lower) stats to their parents. Or had bonus EXP. Might not have been as elegant, but it would have solved the problem. Locking them away in difficult chapters only FURTHERED the problem because it made me want to get them even more. If I'm not supposed to get them until close to post-game, don't let me access them until close to post-game. Don't make the chapters so hard that if I grind up to beat them I trivialize the rest of the game.

That's the core of my gripe. If you're going to let the player do something, especially if you give them INCENTIVE to do something, it shouldn't break your game.

Folt

Smash Ace
I can't agree with this.

There's a certain satisfaction that comes out of utilizing all the resources available to you in the most efficient manner. This is what I'd call the 'Min-Max Thrill'.

If doing so trivializes the game, that takes a lot of the raw challenge out of it and makes it a lot less enjoyable. It means the player has to instill their own artificial limits on what they think is a reasonable degree of using that resource.

That's part of why I disliked the Tower of Valni and Arenas. It's there as a resource for me to make use of. I don't want to cut myself off from just NOT using them, but overuse of them makes the game too easy. So where do you draw the line? What if I think some use of them is completely fine?

Putting the burden on the player not to break the game is lame. It's hard to design around doing so, but there are ways it can be done. I think FE9/FE10 are the best example of this. No arenas, no grinding. Just straight up game. Bonus EXP was an extremely sensible replacement that allowed you to bring **** units up to par if you wanted to use them.

Even FE7 handled it well by having the rating system. If you broke the game with Arena grinding, it was impossible for you to do well in tactics rank.

Instead of having the kids join super-weak (though they had scaling stats), all they had to do was make them join at similar (if slightly lower) stats to their parents. Or had bonus EXP. Might not have been as elegant, but it would have solved the problem. Locking them away in difficult chapters only FURTHERED the problem because it made me want to get them even more. If I'm not supposed to get them until close to post-game, don't let me access them until close to post-game. Don't make the chapters so hard that if I grind up to beat them I trivialize the rest of the game.

That's the core of my gripe. If you're going to let the player do something, especially if you give them INCENTIVE to do something, it shouldn't break your game.
Trivializing the game is fun in it's own way, so I don't have a problem with either Tower of Valni or Arenas (besides the fact that I might lose my unit and have to start all over again on the latter) or the DLC stuff in Awakening. Nothing's quite like the feeling of superiority that you get when you kill all enemies super-easily and they do piddly damage against you in return.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v

AAAAAGH! Why YOU? Why HERE? Why NOW?

Great... Even the old bag has a better grasp of the internet than we do...

Um, Your Honour, can we get back to the thread now?

Of course. Anyone is welcome in a social thread like this, after all.

You are too kind, Your Honour. Eeedgey-poo~

Raziek already took the words out of my mouth (or fingers?) in this one 8D
I can see why some people like the grinding (I personally liked seeing the battles), but it made any other strategy of sorts useless, because the game made the "grind until your characters becomes murder machines" 'strategy' possible.
Though I didn't have so much problem against the grinding as I did with the fact that the pair up system was kind of broken and the maps were boring, if they fix at least these last two, I won't be bothered by the grinding. Much.
In most games I actually like the grinding, SRPG are the exception, though.

My complaints aside, have more Robin :happysheep:
Times I wish I could read Japanese properly

@Edit oO That's why I say you people post too much. I even forgot to answer someone.

:4darkpit:

Oh wait, you were talking to someone and weren't referring to edgy things?

:4dedede:
wut wat. I feel like I missed some reference there.
I said that because there's a character (The old woman I posted) in Ace Attorney who always call Miles Edgeworth (Moydow's avatar) "Edgey-poo", because, well, she's kinda fell in love with him 8D and that's become a running gag in the series.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
:4darkpit:

Oh wait, you were talking to someone and weren't referring to edgy things?

:4dedede:
O Palutena, Pretty Palutena, can you hear me?

Also, I forgot to ask this, but I see that we have a few new tactican in this thread and I am having trouble finding them, would you guys mind Introducing them to me?

Last edited:

BindingShield

Smash Journeyman
NNID
M2TheC
Hey all, do any of you know when Robin Amiibo preorders for Gamestop or Best buy will start? I visited Gamestop Friday and then employee told me that they won't start for a month, which sounds... very suspicious.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Hey all, do any of you know when Robin Amiibo preorders for Gamestop or Best buy will start? I visited Gamestop Friday and then employee told me that they won't start for a month, which sounds... very suspicious.
No, that's about correct.

They only just announced that wave like.... a week ago.

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
That reminds me, I have to definitely pre-order Robin.

I don't want to fail again like I did with Shulk and the Majora's Mask Skull Kid.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
That reminds me, I have to definitely pre-order Robin.

I don't want to fail again like I did with Shulk and the Majora's Mask Skull Kid.
Oh yeah, now I'm terrified I'll forgot to preorder Robin and Lucina. Amiibo go out too quick.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Guys when you think of Robin in a fight what song comes to you head?
:cheep:

Also, I forgot to ask this, but I see that we have a few new tactican in this thread and I am having trouble finding them, would you guys mind Introducing them to me?
I'm one of the new noobs, I suppose :happysheep:
Already lost track of the others, though 8D

Pff...I'll never be able to get an Amiibo ;-;
I really wanted that Robin amiibo though :( and maybe Megaman. Capcom barely ever does something for my blue hero.

Last edited:

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Either The Devoted from RD because I go to Colisuem with that music as Robin a lot. Either that or "Don't you dare speak her name!" That plays in like chapter 10 I think? I think that's what it's called

Last edited:

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
When fighting Robin, I always think about Time of Action from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, because those are my favorite Fire Emblem games and I absolutely love the Omega form of Coliseum. Time of Action is the track that plays when the Dawn Brigade fights the Greil Mercenaries in Part 3, Chapter 13 of Radiant Dawn, so it holds a dear place in my heart and a resting place for the Greil Mercenaries.

In other news, I've finally joined Anther's Ladder. I had some inhibitions before since I was afraid of lowering Robin's current tier placement if I lost too much. However, I've finally gained some confidence to try and play on the ladder, if only to make me a better Robin player overall.

Also, shout out @ Zareidriel Zareidriel for their awesome guide on Robin since it's amazing, as well as Supreme Grima @ Raziek Raziek for his stage guide.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

@TimidKitsune129 is one of our newest recruits.

I guess I technically count since I only officially joined the thread a few weeks ago.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
So after seeing the new FE trailer, I'm in the mood to play Awakening again. I'm currently doing a no grinding/renown male-only playthrough. Its actually been kind of tough having to slog through with no healer (I just finished chapter 8). I'm actually a lot more relaxed this go around without having to worry about waifu silliness/child breeding programs for once. I also feel the non-romantic supports are in many ways a lot better than the romantic ones.

I also want to get your guys opinion on how I should regard second seals: freely abuse them, no use except Donnel, or no use completely. I'm leaning towards option two but I worried Donnel will trivialize the game even without grinding given his ridiculous growths.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
I think I might end up playing Awakening too, just with family. I'll probably start with a female MU file and buy a regular male Tactician that I use, just so I can still have my Lucina and M Morgan. Because **** Female MU and Chrom's supports, Male MU x Chrom allllllll the way

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
So, after the first day of Smash Ladder, I seriously suck at this game.

As in, I only won one match out of around 12 with Robin, and the only game I won was when I had to use secondary Ness.

Good lord, I need work, but that's why the Ladder's there, to help us improve.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It sounds like you're saying "you don't like how Awakening grinds? How about if there was RNG instead?"
I'd rather have something more instant, even if it's harder. Like, maybe a late-game unit comes with useful skills by default, and reclassing is different.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
So, after the first day of Smash Ladder, I seriously suck at this game.

As in, I only won one match out of around 12 with Robin, and the only game I won was when I had to use secondary Ness.

Good lord, I need work, but that's why the Ladder's there, to help us improve.
I feel like an idiot, what's Smash Ladder? A Tournament?

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
I feel like an idiot, what's Smash Ladder? A Tournament?
Anther's Ladder, or the Smash Ladder, is a site that ends up letting you find matches with people via netplay or online depending on the games. The goal was to make a place where one could practice without the bad quality of For Glory, in that For Glory only teaches you how to play on Omega stages, which Robin, imo, doesn't excel at.

The Smash Ladder has a wider variety of stages to use, and it has matchmaking that is much, much better than in For Glory. There are options for friendlies or for Ranked Matches. I've been staying on Friendlies.

I'm literally depressed by how poor my Robin is. I'm going to go read @ Zareidriel Zareidriel 's guide again and look at @ Raziek Raziek 's stage guide again.

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
Anther's Ladder, or the Smash Ladder, is a site that ends up letting you find matches with people via netplay or online depending on the games. The goal was to make a place where one could practice without the bad quality of For Glory, in that For Glory only teaches you how to play on Omega stages, which Robin, imo, doesn't excel at.

The Smash Ladder has a wider variety of stages to use, and it has matchmaking that is much, much better than in For Glory. There are options for friendlies or for Ranked Matches. I've been staying on Friendlies.

I'm literally depressed by how poor my Robin is. I'm going to go read @ Zareidriel Zareidriel 's guide again and look at @ Raziek Raziek 's stage guide again.
There is only so much you can learn by reading about Smash. Check out some videos of any character (Robin preferred) and note what the player did well and where they failed. It really makes you aware of your own faults as well as giving you insight on characters you may battle against.

Above all, practice your gameplay whenever you can and praise Grima

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I believe you mean Praise Anna.

All hail the RNG Goddess. May your dice rolls be low when you strike, and high when the enemies do.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Yes read it! I would recommend picking out one technique (or habit, strategy, we/) you think would add to your deadliness, then trying it in training, then trying it in matches. Then move on to the next technique.

I was in the big online events2compete tournament today. http://worldwide.challonge.com/enoeti6i

Last edited:

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
Jumping on the Robin song train, whenever my cousin plays Robin i hear the Benny Hill theme because that boy just runs from me the whole time.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Either
or

Honestly it depends a lot on the mood of the fight though.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yes read it! I would recommend picking out one technique (or habit, strategy, we/) you think would add to your deadliness, then trying it in training, then trying it in matches. Then move on to the next technique.

I was in the big online events2compete tournament today. http://worldwide.challonge.com/enoeti6i
Oh hey, we were in the same pool! I thought I recognized your name! xD

We both got taken down by Raffi, but I lost to a Rosalina/Skyloft Academy in Losers. Who did Robo_Ky play?

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Oh hey there! Who were you in the tournament?

Ugh that Raffi! He was pretty damn good honestly. And though the tourney results say 2-0, I did take a game off him. Probably one of the only ones who did besides the guy in Winner's Finals. Fighting a full-on long-range guy like that is hard, no room to breathe or charge Thunder.

Rosa huh? I'm surprised a Robin player lost to a Rosa, usually it's the other way around. But hey what can you do. I lost to a Rosa in Shuffl6. Robo_Ky played Pit. Our matches were fairly close. I think if I had a little more Pit matchup experience I coulda taken him. But even if I had won that match in Loser's it woulda taken 5 more wins to qualify for the next round. =_= Oh well! I think I'm gonna start playing ladders.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I was RazorJohan in the bracket.

I don't play Rosas all that often - everyone in Texas and OK either play "easier" characters like Diddy, Sheik, or Mario, or they're too "ashamed" to play the character. So, I was lacking in MU knowledge, and so Bair semispiking came as a surprise to me, though I did get her to last stock mid percents in the first game. Second game could have gone better had the Skyloft transformations not started badly for me; I was thrown into the Skyloft Academy as the stage was coasting by, got hit three times by it, and took 60% into a Star KO. Fumbles and I both were dumbstruck. After that, I was just too disheartened/laughing too hard to really focus, so it ended as a three stock because walkoffs. Ah well.

Top Bottom